The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Dutch Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 01:24 PM
Nobility

Thanks Henri M! I knew she was somehow Euro!

Old 03-13-2007, 07:23 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress
Henri - I notice in your calculations that you are using the grandparents, and not the parents. Of course that plays a factor, but you must first factor in the parents, then the grandparents. Thus - I believe that your calculations might need a bit of reworking. Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe that I am. If Queen Wilhelmina - as your furthest relative, is 50% German, 25% Russian, and 25% Dutch, and her husband German, by rights that made Queen Juliana indeed 75% German, 12.5% Russian, and 12.5% Dutch. Then it would stand to reason that Beatrix would be nearly 90% German, and 10% other. However, given that this is all regarding the blood line and not the actual citizenship, then I think that it is a moot point. However, in any case Catharina Amalia would be 50% Argentinian, and basically 50% german.

But since we all know that she is 100% Dutch for everyone who cares, I think that the Argentinian/German influence is somewhat minimal. She also looks 100% Dutch, but there you go.

I think that the first calculation on bloodlines first goes to the parents and only then to the grandparents, ad infinitum.
Well, if we trace these things further we can claim that the Russian wasn't that Russian, as Queen Anna's mother was German and her father was for 75% a German (Holstein-Gottrop and Anhalt-Zerbst ancestors), the Britishness of the Dutch RF can also be traced back to Hannover etc, so if we consider 'blood-line' to be essensial to be called German/Dutch etc. then Willem-Alexander is 98% German indeed. But these days the blood-line has become unpopular in this reasoning, even germany changed immigration laws under Schroder to change this (as one of the last countries in the world).

Old 03-13-2007, 08:20 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree with you as well Marengo. If I tallied my bloodline I would have no idea what I would end up. I was only re working the calculations based on the blood line. However, I think that the citizenship is more important and as they are all clearly dutch, by choice or birth, then what runs through their veins is a moot point I think. In any case, I am not so sure that blood knows the difference between German, Dutch, Russian,French or what have you. I think that is a singularly human failing.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:16 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
In any case, I am not so sure that blood knows the difference between German, Dutch, Russian,French or what have you. I think that is a singularly human failing.
I must agree with that! Anyhow, what advantages would Catharina-Amalia have with the argentinian citizenship?
Old 03-13-2007, 11:27 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly
I must agree with that! Anyhow, what advantages would Catharina-Amalia have with the argentinian citizenship?
For Princess Máxima and her children: protection by the Argentinean government and a safe haven in the Embassy of Argentina, in case of a revolution in the Netherlands. The Princess holds Argentinean citizenship.

For the Prince of Orange: protection by the German government and a safe haven in the Embassy of Germany, in case of a revolution in the Netherlands. As son of a German the Prince can claim German citizenship.

For the Queen: protection by the German and British government and a safe haven in the Embassy of Germany or the United Kingdom, in case of a revolution in the Netherlands. As son of a German the Queen can claim German citizenship. As a descendant under the Sophia Naturalization Act who was born before 1948 the Queen can claim (or already helds) British citizenship.

I can not think about other advantages of double or triple nationalities.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:01 PM
Courtier

I don't think Germany allows double nationalities, so they all would have to give up the other citizenships.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilytornado
I don't think Germany allows double nationalities, so they all would have to give up the other citizenships.
No, but they can fled into the German Embassy in The Hague (a former city palace for Cornelis van Schuylenburch, Mayor of The Hague, and one of the most stylish Embassies in the world) and request for the German citizenship.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:55 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks to everyone that has contributed on this thread there is a lot of great of info.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:32 PM
Serene Highness

Wow, I have learned a lot from the last few pages. You guys amaze me with what you know! So thank you
Old 03-26-2007, 09:55 AM
Courtier

Yes, thans to everyone who contributed! I can see where a dual citizenship can come in handy. As for Catharina Amalia, I wonder is she'll choose one day to hold Argentinian citizenship?
Old 03-27-2007, 05:00 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I think it most unlikely that Catharina-Amalia will ever ask for the Argentinian citizenship. Perhaps in the case that this country becomes a republic who forces their royal family into excile (which is rather unlikely to).
Old 03-27-2007, 02:17 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Henri - I notice in your calculations that you are using the grandparents, and not the parents. Of course that plays a factor, but you must first factor in the parents, then the grandparents. Thus - I believe that your calculations might need a bit of reworking. Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe that I am. If Queen Wilhelmina - as your furthest relative, is 50% German, 25% Russian, and 25% Dutch, and her husband German, by rights that made Queen Juliana indeed 75% German, 12.5% Russian, and 12.5% Dutch. Then it would stand to reason that Beatrix would be nearly 90% German, and 10% other. However, given that this is all regarding the blood line and not the actual citizenship, then I think that it is a moot point. However, in any case Catharina Amalia would be 50% Argentinian, and basically 50% german.

But since we all know that she is 100% Dutch for everyone who cares, I think that the Argentinian/German influence is somewhat minimal. She also looks 100% Dutch, but there you go.

I think that the first calculation on bloodlines first goes to the parents and only then to the grandparents, ad infinitum.
By default, if you have the info of the grandparents, you have the info of the parents since the parents came from the ethnic makeup of the grandparents. It would be repetitive to write that Maxima is 100% Argentianian and W-A is 50% German and 50% Dutch because that still makes Amalia 50% Argentinian and 25% each German and Dutch.

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice
Old 03-27-2007, 08:17 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

Yes...100% Argentinian. But Argentine is a country made by immigrants from a lot of roots: a 100% Argentinian, like me, will be maybe a greal mix of other nationalities. It could be Argentinians with Italian, Spanish, French, German, Syrian, Austrian, etc blood. I'm a nice mix-up of Nord and South Italian, Nord and South Spain, Nord and Middle France, Tyrolean blood. However, I'm 100% Argentinian. Do you understand?

You see...Princess Maxima has some Italian blood in her, and so have both of her girls.

Vanesa.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:01 AM
Aristocracy

This is quite funny actually, why is everyone discussing Amalias "bloodline"?
(Though one can get a little kick out of the fact that the national anthem reads: Willem of Orange I am of german blood )
Anyway, no royal "bloodline" is 100% dutch or british or whatever, since the marriage policies in earlier times requested 100% royal blood, all royals are truely "european" but hardly as "national" as most of their subjects.
BTW, if there ever is a national uprising in the Netherlands, during which they kick their royal family to Azkaban, I am sure that none of them has to rely on a second nationality to seek a safe haven.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:35 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fee
This is quite funny actually, why is everyone discussing Amalias "bloodline"?
(Though one can get a little kick out of the fact that the national anthem reads: Willem of Orange I am of german blood )
yeah, correction: the original national anthem does NOT read Willem of Orange I am of german blood.
the line in dutch is: Willem van Oranje ben ik van Dietsche bloed. Diets, not Duits.
Diets refers to dutch not german, although people now say Willen van Oranje ben ik van duitse bloed. the word duits comes from the word diets, but the meaning of the word has changed over time, so originally it was meant dutch blood, although now it seems like we're singing we;re from german blood.

check this wikipedia page (in english) about the word diets. : Dietsch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 04-09-2007, 07:32 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

Thank you for your correction, AnneGirl. It is very useful. I think that knowing languages is the most important think in the world. languages are the key of world people friendship and understanding.

Vanesa.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:13 AM
Nobility

I was wondering if anyone knows whether Wilhelmina is a feminine form of Willem and if so then Ariane has both her parents names in a way.I think it is a very name and it is nice that all three of the girls names can also be said in Spanish(nice for their maternal family).
Old 04-13-2007, 08:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene
I was wondering if anyone knows whether Wilhelmina is a feminine form of Willem and if so then Ariane has both her parents names in a way.I think it is a very name and it is nice that all three of the girls names can also be said in Spanish(nice for their maternal family).
I think that Wilhelmina was Quen's Beatrix second name, and also Queen's Juliana second name.

Queen Wilhelmina was also Quen's Beatrix granmother.

I like Ariana very much.

My best best wishes for the new baby girl
Old 04-13-2007, 08:45 AM
Heir Apparent

The names are explained here. As yet only in Dutch. However, as I understand it, the names are for the following:

Ariane - because the couple liked the name and it began with an A. It has no historical meaning.

Wilhelmina - After Queen Wilhelmina

Maxima - After the great grandmother of Princess Maxima, (and a little after the mother I would imagine).

Ines - for the youngest sister of Maxima.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:01 AM
Courtier

Oh how great! What a beautiful name! I see Maxima and Willem-Alexander have chosen to start the name with an A and it is 6 letters as Amalia and Alexia's. I can't wait to see photos of the whole family. When do we think there will be a photoshoot?