Princess Margriet & Prof Pieter Van Vollenhoven, Current Events 1 (Jul 2003-Nov 2006)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering, did he get his hand shut in the door, or was there an accident? It's weird the way that was phrased.

I hope he recovers well. As mentioned, he is a pretty accomplished jazz pianist. The Van Vollenhoven's have had a bit of bad luck this year: Pieter-Christiaan was in a car accident in the spring I believe, then Margriet broke her tail bone and now this. Oh well, it is good, that none of these accidents were too serious. Hope Pieter is soon back "tickling the ivories" again.:)

Last edited:
Hopefully one of our Dutch posters will translate the news on Pieter, but I believe it was from a diving accident, not a driving accident. He got his finger caught between the boat and something else. He was lucky that the piece of his finger did not fall in the sea & be forever lost. Also, one of the other divers was a doctor and could apply immediate first aid.

ladybelline said:
The news about Pieter van Vollenhoven 's accident is on the DRF website:

http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/content.jsp?objectid=10290

Could anyone translate?

Mr. Pieter van Vollenhoven got hurt in a diving accident.

Mr. Pieter van Vollenhoven hurt his right hand in a diving accident near the coast of Malta. He lost part of the tip of his right index finger. It was re-attached at the scene. The recovery proces is said to be at least a few weeks.

It is my own translation, so I hope it's a good one..;)

Last edited:
Squidgy said:
Hopefully one of our Dutch posters will translate the news on Pieter, but I believe it was from a diving accident, not a driving accident.

Pieter van Vollenhoven: fingertip sown on after an accident.

Pieter van Vollenhoven will probably need several months to recover from a painfull accident after diving in the sea near Malta. Last thursday while he was climbing on board he got his finger caught between the boat and the ladder, causing him to lose his fingertip. Pieter van Vollenhoven was very lucky. The fingertip didn't fall in the water en could be sown on directly. One of his fellow divers was an MD, who could give first aid. Van Vollenhoven did stayed on the island of Malta, and got home yesterday. According to the RVD his work schedule will not suffer.

:eek:

Sorry everyone. I don't speak Dutch at all, and the Benelux Board had it translated as a driving accident so I went with it. I thought it sounded a little strange though.

Another translation:http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/content.jsp?objectid=10290

Mr.. Pieter van Vollenhoven touched at a dive accident wounded
Communication of the realm information service. Mr.. Pieter van Vollenhoven have touched at a dive accident in Malta wounded to its rechterhand.
He lost a part of the top of its rechterwijsvinger. These were possible for the placed to be incited.
The convalescence process lasts according to the expectations some
weeks. Possible closer communications concerning the public programme, if necessary, as soon as possible are done.

Thank you everyone for the translations.:)

Hearing more about the accident, it sounds like it must have been a very painful experience. Ooouch!:(:(

ooooowwww! how unimaginably painful!

it's especially sad for him because of his well known love of playing the piano.

Thanks to everyone for the translations! It sounds so incredibly painful, my fingers are hurting in sympathy pains over here!

For those who haven't seen it yet, Alexandria has paid a lovely tribute to Princess Margriet in this month's newsletter ...

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7352

I really love the older pictures of the family, especially this picture that she posted. (I assume that it is Maurits??)

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=200037

I thought I would post this Max Koot photograph from my own collection. I'm not sure when it was taken - my guess is the early 80s.

Attachments

• Max Koot.jpg
    Max Koot.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:
Thanks for pointing it out, I just see that now, a very interesting article & lovely pictures! The result is very nice, and I am surprised how much information Alexandria and Grand Duchess were able to find (because there is not that much available on the internet)!

Marengo said:
Thanks for pointing it out, I just see that now, a very interesting article & lovely pictures! The result is very nice, and I am surprised how much information Alexandria and Grand Duchess were able to find (because there is not that much available on the internet)!

Thank you Squidy and Marengo for the compliments! :) I do believe in however giving credit where credit is due, and the majority of the information comes form a book Squidy very kindly took the time to scan in for me, When Canada Was Home. That was an amazing resource to have at my fingertips!

You should refrain from naming books in my presence, because now I will not rest untill I find it in a bookshop here in Holland ;) I already have over 200 royalty books and I did not read half of them, so I am just greedy!
The pictures are nice as well and so many, and I especially like the quotation of the mother of the fatherland aka the mother of the resistance aka Wimpie aka Queen Wilhelmin, one of my favourites. I have the two volumes which Prof. Fasseur wrote about her and they did not contain this quotation or much info about Margriet), I looked it up.

Marengo said:
You should refrain from naming books in my presence, because now I will not rest untill I find it in a bookshop here in Holland ;) I already have over 200 royalty books and I did not read half of them, so I am just greedy!
The pictures are nice as well and so many, and I especially like the quotation of the mother of the fatherland aka the mother of the resistance aka Wimpie aka Queen Wilhelmin, one of my favourites. I have the two volumes which Prof. Fasseur wrote about her and they did not contain this quotation or much info about Margriet), I looked it up.

If you have trouble finding that book, you could search www.abebooks.com. It's a really good resource for finding books from around the world; it's sort of like an eBay for books.

... But I'm not putting any ideas in your head! :p

Alexandria said:
Thank you Squidy and Marengo for the compliments! :) I do believe in however giving credit where credit is due, and the majority of the information comes form a book Squidy very kindly took the time to scan in for me, When Canada Was Home. That was an amazing resource to have at my fingertips!

It is a good book Alexandria ... but still you managed to find much information from other sources too, and as Marengo notes that is not easy to do. There really is so little on Margriet on the internet. Since she is my favourite princess, I am so happy that you brought her to the attention of a wider audience.:)

Speaking of books on Margriet, I have always wanted to read (& I use that term very loosely since I don't understand a word of Dutch), the book that was published on Margriet & Pieter's time spent with the Inuit peoples in northern Canada in the 1970s. The book is called "Eskimo's, mensen zonder tijd" and was published in 1980. I tried to look at a copy of it recently - the National Library of Canada is supposed to have four copies, but they have all mysteriously disappeared. Has anyone seen this book?

Colour photo: ANP

HMQueenElizabethII said:
Its not Margriet Tina, thats Floris but the lady is Princess Irene not Margriet.

Yes, you are right HMQueenElizabethII - the photo in post #8 is Irene.:) I think the photograph database that this picture came from wrongly captioned it as Irene - they are always mixing Irene & Margriet up.

It was announced today that Margriet will open the new royal brides exhibit at Het Loo on November 4th. The exhibit will run until February 2006 and features the wedding dresses of Margriet and her daughter-in-laws - Marilene, Annette, Anita and Aimee (hopefully Aimee's dress will be back from the cleaners by then:)). The exhibit will also include suits worn by the grooms, some bridesmaid dresses, etc.

Are any of our Dutch posters planning on visiting the exhibit? I would love to go (if only I didn't live so far away:().

Link to the exhibition (Dutch only)

http://www.paleishetloo.nl/

Squidgy said:
It was announced today that Margriet will open the new royal brides exhibit at Het Loo on November 4th. The exhibit will run until February 2006 and features the wedding dresses of Margriet and her daughter-in-laws - Marilene, Annette, Anita and Aimee (hopefully Aimee's dress will be back from the cleaners by then:)). The exhibit will also include suits worn by the grooms, some bridesmaid dresses, etc.

Are any of our Dutch posters planning on visiting the exhibit? I would love to go (if only I didn't live so far away:().

Link to the exhibition (Dutch only)

http://www.paleishetloo.nl/

I am jealous to hear about this exhibit! This is totally the kind of exhibit I would love to go and see. What a beautiful exhibit it will be.

... Maybe you and I can charter a plane to the Netherlands together Squidy for the weekend to catch this exhibit! My boyfriend is a pilot -- I'm sure he could fly us there for the weekend! :D

Alexandria said:
I am jealous to hear about this exhibit! This is totally the kind of exhibit I would love to go and see. What a beautiful exhibit it will be.

... Maybe you and I can charter a plane to the Netherlands together Squidy for the weekend to catch this exhibit! My boyfriend is a pilot -- I'm sure he could fly us there for the weekend! :D

You name the day - I will come down & meet you in Toronto (unless you & your pilot boyfriend would be kind enough to pick me up here in Ottawa!:D) Don't tempt me Alexandria. Yes, we have to get ourselves over to the Netherlands one of these days - there always seems to be so much happening there.:) I did spend 2 hrs in Holland once (unfortunately they were spent waiting for a connector flight at the airport). But even that was memorable. I spent most of that time in the chocolate shop & came home with about 10 boxes of Droste chocolates. I'm afraid it spoiled me - I have never been able to go back to just plain chocolate since.;)

You sure took the most 'dutch' brand of chocolates available, my grandmother still has old fashioned Droste tins, which look very nice. But I recently discovered the delights of Brussels famous chocolatiers, Pierre Marcolini (looked like a jewelersshop filled with chocolates), Neuhaus, Galler etc . It takes quite some discipline not to uy/eat everything at once!

I prefer to visit Het Loo when the weather is better, so in spring r summer, as I like to stroll in the gardens/ woods. I would like to see the exhibition though, is it still there in the weeks before christmas? Usually they decorate the rooms in the palace with the christmas atmosphere, which is quite nice.

I saw the ehibiion of the weddingdresses of Wilhelmina, Juliana, Beatrix and Maxima there as well. In real life those dresses look much better as you can see the delicate things of the dress. To my surprise the weddingdress of Juliana especially was beauiful, nice style/fabric etc. On pictures it doesn't look as nice I think, maybe Wilhelmina's demand that Juliana wore woolen garments under t, against the cold, ruined the appearance a bit?

Marengo said:
I saw the ehibiion of the weddingdresses of Wilhelmina, Juliana, Beatrix and Maxima there as well. In real life those dresses look much better as you can see the delicate things of the dress. To my surprise the weddingdress of Juliana especially was beauiful, nice style/fabric etc. On pictures it doesn't look as nice I think, maybe Wilhelmina's demand that Juliana wore woolen garments under t, against the cold, ruined the appearance a bit?

I'm very jealous that you were able to see some of the other royal wedding dresses up close and personal Marengo! Do you think you'll go see this new exhibit of Princess Margriet's dress and her daughter-in-laws' dresses?

I am wondering...I visited the palace a number of times already, but if the exhibition is at the same time when they will have the other rooms decorated in a christmas atmosphere, I think I will, a friend from Bulgaria is coming over in December who wants to see some more of the country, o that is the perfect excuse!

Totally off topic: Marengo, I love your picture. The Incredibles is a cinematic masterpiece!

Thanks 'dahling' , it is my favourite a well, especially Edna Mode (picture).

I bet if Edna lived in the Netherlands, she would go to see the exhibit of bridal clothes (her being a serious fashion designer & all););)

Yes, I also adore your avatar. I can't look at it without laughing!

I think so, but she would insist on making changes on them, taking away the veils ('no capes!') and shortening the trains, no doubt (according to edna these things always get stuck).

Anyway, I a especially looking forward of seeing Margriet's dress, i have the feeling that the pictures I have seen of it aren't flattering and that it looks better when you see it with your own eyes. The pattern of daisy's must be nice anyway.

Last time they also put the tiara's on top of the dolls (I had a good look at the Wurttemburg pearl tiara, it's huge!!!), but I think that can not be done this time as 4 of the 5 brides wore the same tiara.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom