Princess Margarita & Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn, News 1 (February 2003-February 2008)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to 'De Telegraaf 'Nughter also offered the tapes to the newspapers, he gave a phonenumber where they could contact him, but it was disconnected. The sollicitor of Nughter could not confirm or deny the story.

Let's resurrect Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson. They would solve the issue with the lost tapes.

Posted by Joris on the Benelux Royals MB:

Today Princess Margarita de Bourbon de Parme's lawsuit against her husband Dr. Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn took place behind closed doors.
No comments.
Only comment by Edwin de R van Z: "I am glad I could say what I wanted to say." [ i.e. to the judge} ("Ik ben blij dat ik m'n zegje kon doen.")
Judge's verdict: 13 April.

Marengo: the courtcase is about the tapes. Margarita wants them back, Edwin says they were stolen.

It will be interesting to see how it all turns out.:rolleyes:

Do you think it was a coincidence that they went to court today (when the official state visit to Argentina begins), or did Margarita deliberately pick this day, so as not to attract too much press attention?

I think the princess (or edwin) do not set the date but the court does. There were still enough reporters left though. Edwin arrived as a diva should arrive, surrounded by bodyguards.

According to 'Metro' newspaper the judge forbade him to make any public comments on the matter before the verdict. If he does he can be locked up in prison (theoretically).

Marengo said:
I think the princess (or edwin) do not set the date but the court does. There were still enough reporters left though. Edwin arrived as a diva should arrive, surrounded by bodyguards.

According to 'Metro' newspaper the judge forbade him to make any public comments on the matter before the verdict. If he does he can be locked up in prison (theoretically).

If "common" people like you or I needed to appear in court, yes, we would go when we are told to. I was just guessing that maybe some "strings were pulled" to get this particular date, but you are probably right Marengo, it is just a coincidence.

What a laugh that Edwin would come with bodyguards, but then, I guess he has made lots of enemies (although he is probably his own worst enemy).:rolleyes:

Marengo said:

He probably liked the attention bodyguards would bring to him. Make him seem like a very important man worthy of extra protection.

I saw a picture of him arriving flanked by his bodyguards. He had that smirk on his face; it was very pompous.

Alexandria said:
He probably liked the attention bodyguards would bring to him. Make him seem like a very important man worthy of extra protection.

I saw a picture of him arriving flanked by his bodyguards. He had that smirk on his face; it was very pompous.

Yes, you're probably right. I think by now we can sure of the fact that Edwin would do anything to get attention. :rolleyes:

Is there an update in this family feud?

Too bad Queen Beatrix can't go medieval at him:rolleyes: :p :cool:

He was yesterday on television again:rolleyes:

Henri M. of the Benelux Royal Message Board wrote a translation
[FONT=verdana, arial][FONT=verdana, arial][FONT=verdana, arial] In 2002 Princess Magrarita de Bourbon de Parme, a daughter of Princess Irene of the Netherlands, went to Noordeinde Palace in The Hague to see her aunt and godmother Queen Beatrix. [/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial]She has had a series of conversations with the Queen about the 'obstruction' the couple feels from the two royal families and from the administration, to break (the marriage with) Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn. Princess Margarita has, without knowledge by her aunt, taped one of these conversations. Yesterday, in the television-program 'Barend & Van Dorp', her estranged husband Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn revealed (parts of) the transcript.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, arial]A translation:[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, arial]Queen Beatrix:
You have an unpleasant cause, and have written in your letter that you wanted to talk with me at first. I do not understand completely what this is all about?
[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, arial]Princess Margarita:
I already wanted to talk about this a number of times. I have told that there was a problem but back then we did not know how the situation was.
But for this reason I have asked for help but really nothing has come through. I have the feeling that you have not understood what kind of help I asked and why I have asked that to you.
[/FONT]

You have asked no help at all. You have only accused. And falsely accused. Apart from the fact that you can not write down the names correctly and a few of this sort of things more. You have marched straightly to all and everything.... so I do not understand at all what you do mean.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial][FONT=verdana, arial]
[FONT=verdana, arial] Queen Beatrix:
Do you not want to use such a tone to me, Margarita? For then you will not come very far with me. You have no any right to hurt people so. Who are you, at all, that you can use such a tone?

[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial]Princess Margarita:
I am just eavesdropped here.
[/FONT]

You are just depicting that. Dou you really think that I have the right to let you eavesdropped without permission? I don't do that. I have never asked for it.
[/FONT]

Why does my mother admit it then? She has said it in her own words!
[/FONT]

She has said to me that she has never stated so. You have it invented.
[/FONT]

That is totally not true. She has told me in her own words that this is a standard procedure.
[/FONT]

Nonsense! It is nonsense, and you must say that against your mother, not against me. You are not eavesdropped. Moreover: why should we eavesdrop you? Honestly, you are not worth the trouble to get eavesdropped. And Edwin totally not at all. So about what should we let eavesdrop you? There must be a legal ground for that and I need permission of the minister. I even haven't made any effort to think about this at all. The two of you simply were absolutely unimportant.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial][FONT=verdana, arial]
[FONT=verdana, arial] Princess Margarita:
Carlos [her eldest brother / HM] is so psychologically disturbed, that he has not only hit us once, but also placed us against the wall and grabbed us by our throat. He is not in order.
[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial](…)[/FONT]

I do regret to hear that, but if you have a problem with Carlos, then you go to Carlos and you say it to Carlos. I have nothing to do with your story about Carlos. I have to do with what you have written to me, and that is no good, at no sides. It is totally of a tone.... Firstly you have written me a letter, in which...
[/FONT]

Yes, but...
[/FONT]

May I just finish, Margarita? You have written a strictly personal and confidential letter, and then you send a copy to the minister-president. Which is absolutely too crazy.
[/FONT]

It goes about problems...
[/FONT]

Too crazy. Moreover, as you write a confidential letter do not send a copy at the same time to the minister-president or whoever else. These are manners...unjust. It is unheard of! I'm really sorry, but your manners are not good in any case. You always and everywhere comes too late. You blame everybody about everything, while the blame, Margarita, is on you. As long as you do not to face that, you will continue to have problems Margarita. You make people unhappy. Everybody around you is unhappy. Do you never ask yourself how that is possible? You never ask that to yourself? You never ask yourself why everyone is in tears when they talk about you?
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial][FONT=verdana, arial]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, arial][FONT=verdana, arial]More from BRMB

[FONT=verdana, arial] Princess Margarita:
I can prove all this.

[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial]Queen Beatrix:
Proofs? If you can not spell the name of Rhodius for once, and that is no chef of the Cabinet [the Kabinet der Koningin, the Queen's Office / HM] but the director of the Cabinet.
[/FONT]

Chef of the Cabinet... director of the Cabinet...
[/FONT]

... sending forward correspondence and bank copies. He has never done that. He even can not do so, he does not have the right at all.
[/FONT]

Okay, may I then ask, how can a mrs. Rade [private secretary to Prince Carlos, Princess Margarita, Prince Jaime and Princess María Carolina / HM] come to me and burst out in tears by telling me that mr. Rhodius has telephoned her -how you do it write, I do not care about it at all, director of the Cabinet, okay.
[/FONT]

I do not know if this is so. I know that the mr. Rhodius... he works for the Government.
[/FONT]

He works for the Government.
[/FONT]

And for me.
[/FONT]

What does the Government have to do with my husband's banl copies?
[/FONT]

Totally nothing at all. I am absolutely certain. Mr Rhodius has said so with his hand on his heart. And if this man is not honest, then nobody is honest in the world.
[/FONT]

Well, this, damn...
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial]
I do not need to hear that word from you. I am sorry Margarita, behave! Will you not curse?
[/FONT]

If my bank telephones out of the name of Noordeinde [Noordeinde Palace in The Hague / HM], I have told you, and I have asked: was it you?
[/FONT]

I have not been it. And Noordeinde is not mr. Rhodius. And mr. Rhodius is not Noordeinde. You are busy with accusing people who have absolutely nothing to do with this.
[/FONT]

Dear Trix, I can not help it. I get information from someone who bursts out in tears because she finds it so awful to do illegal things she was requested to do.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial] Queen Beatrix:
Are you totally crazed? Margarita, behave! You are really of such an "onhebbelijkheid" {typical Beatrixism for: "Not to have"] Unbelievably rude. Because you have developed a quantities-insanity.

Quantities illusion?
[/FONT]

Yes, quantities illusion. Because you think that you are eavesdropped. That you are so important that you have to place a crown on a castle, that you must invite Chirac [President Chirac of France / HM].
[/FONT]

A crown? How you get in your head that I use a coat-of-arms or not? Eavesdropped, Trix!
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial]
Perhaps you have invented it yourself. Because you find yourself so important.
[/FONT]

Damned!
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial]
See now, that there is a devil inside of you. No, I'm not an odd
person. Here is not the Margarita I know. Not the Margarita I do love.
[/FONT]

Then you must look better. You still do not believe whgat I have written you. And it is true! And again you are accusing me of quantities insanity.
[/FONT]

I bring it to your attention that you are really standing outside of your shoes now. This tone is totally unacceptable and if you think that you can ever repair relationships without revoking these letters, then I think you have it wrong, so wrong. What an awfull mess have you made. You threat, you blackmail, you write untrue things.
[/FONT]

I write this to assure my own life, that dinally all things become calm again.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial][FONT=verdana, arial][FONT=verdana, arial] Princess Margarita:
Why has the Rijksrecherche [the Kingdom's Investigation Department] went to the Building Fund [employer of Edwin / HM]?

Maybe there was a reason for that.
[/FONT]

Why is it inititated by mr. Rhodius. There is no reason for that, Trix, and that is...
[/FONT]

... the Rijksrecherche is not initiated. You really do not understand anything about the Dutch constitutional relationships.
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial]
Perhaps they only say: from Noordeinde
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial]
Noordeinde and mr. Rhodius are two totally different things. But as long as you do not know the constitutional relations. Yet this is now for the last time and moreover, I will aim for... Why do you not try to get back to normal relationships? You would do a great pleasure with that.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Wow! Thank you The Watcher. Did Edwin really think this recorded conversation would embarass the Royal House? It just shows how formidable Queen Beatrix is, and how Margarita's "poor pity me" act went down like a lead balloon.

I was so relieved when I read this transcript! I agree with you Warren, what a woman ;)! Her way of reasoning is firm, logical and makes a lot of sense. Margarita seems totally paranoide, and I think the Queen was right when she referred to it as an sort of insanity.
Good to see how strict the Queen is in language as well, not allowing cursing etc!

That this caused so much upheavel on the forehand, much ado about nothing I would say (as in, what was said is not shocking for HM), of course it is repulsive that it was taped and published. I hope Margarita's lawyers will sue Barend & van Dorp for this. They supposedly received the transcript in their mailbox (it s a television programme) and called the fake baron during the show, if the transcript was true or not. He referred to the Queen as 'Trix'.

WoW! As usual the Queen handled with situation gracefully. Nice of her to point out that this the Margarita that is talking to her is not the one she loves! It really makes the Princess look bad...how tacky is it to tape your aunt (okay..who happens to be Queen) on what should be a private conversation. I don't know about the laws in Netherlands..but here in Maryland, USA..if you tape a conversation without the other party knowing about it...its a criminial offense..something I learned from the Monica situation :)

The gall of Margarita to accuse the Queen of instigating "eavesdropping" of her and Edwin, while secretly tape-recording their private conversation!

Poor Margarita must today be cringing in embarrassment, and/or hiding her head in shame.

Thanks The Watcher for this translation. It was quite the interesting read!

I agree that only Margarita suffers from the bad rep from it and that the Queen comes through all of this shiny as a new penny. I think she made some very valid points to Margarita, such as that the palace has no reason to evesdrop on Margarita and on Edwin even less or that if she has a problem with her brother then it should be taken up with him and not the Queen.

I think what also comes out is that even though the Queen was very angry and very firm with Margarita, her love for her niece is evident, like when she tells her that the devil is inside of her and the Margarita before her is not the one she loves.

I totally agree with you Alexandria.
thanks The Watcher.

Although the transcript is an interesting read, this should have remained unpublished!
Beatrix handled the situation very gracefully, but the publication is very bad for Margarita. Just by reading you get the idea that she was not in a very good mental state, who would be with such an husband?
Now she's almost over this difficult period in her life suddenly these transcripts are published. Perhaps it is an deliberate attempt by Edwin to hurt his (almost) former wife.

Without a doubt Edwin is doing this to hurt his wife and to bring shame on the House of Orange. The only person who looks bad though is his wife.

Her Majesty, Queen Beatrix, has come through as pure gold!!!

Margarita should find a hole and just drop in. And what was stated about her brother, horrible. If it is true, he is sick of his sister.

It is sad that a member of HM's family would attempt to hurt her.

The more I read of the whole affair, the more everyone in it seems shady. I wasn't didn't find the Queen's responses to be convincing.

Oh good Alisa, I thought I missed something in that conversation, that made QB come thru in shining armor.
I thought that QB was very much in control of the conversation (something I had expected;) ) but not one single moment took she Margarita seriously as an adult. She handled and reprimanded her like a child. Of course Margaritas behaviour was erratic at best, her accusations and reasoning weird and childish.
Anyway, all in all I thought it was a conversation where nothing really was said. QB managed to block almost all of M. arguments with replies from your average principal. She didn't do anything to convince her niece that her arguments lacked any trace of truth. And in doing so she hasn't really washed her own hands clean, didn't she?

fee said:
Anyway, all in all I thought it was a conversation where nothing really was said. QB managed to block almost all of M. arguments with replies from your average principal. She didn't do anything to convince her niece that her arguments lacked any trace of truth. And in doing so she hasn't really washed her own hands clean, didn't she?

She might've thought that there was no sense in trying to reason or rationalize with Margarita at that point. When this conversation was taped, Margarita was in the thick of Edwin's grasp. He was manipulating her and had her completely convinced that her family had turned against her.

Beatrix would've been wasting her breath to try and rationalize or reason with Margarita with any valid arguments or comments.

It's like when you see a child throwing a tantrum in a grocery store because he or she wants some treat. You wouldn't launch into a full explanation about why the child couldn't have the chocolate bar, but you would wait until the child had stopped crying or stomping his feet then explained why.

From the transcripts, it appears the Queen was very angry and had her own issues with Margarita's behavior for good reason. Its hard to listen to other people's issues when you have some of your own. Both women seemed to have felt betrayed by the other. For whatever reason Margarita did not seem able to make any sense and the Queen didn't appear to be in the right frame of mind to hear Margarita out and get to the root of the problem to find some way out of the madness.

Perhaps a decent resolution to the conversation was impossible but in that case, I think the Queen should have ended it as soon as she saw it going nowhere. Some of the accusations on both sides were a bit troubling to read and accusations like that have a way of coming back to haunt the relationship long after its patched up.

Overall a disturbing conversation.

Yesterday Margarita won the court case against Edwin, forbidding him to open/publish the tapes he has of the conversation between Margarita and Edwin (tapes which were stolen according to Edwin. Margarita's lawyer stated that as soon as Edwin even smells those tapes he is obliged to return them to the Princess.
Some more details were made public in a press conference Edwin held yesterday. According to the prima donna his soon to be ex-wife was paranoid, even taping conversations at the bakeryshop. Margarita's version was that she taped the conversation to show Edwin that she really stood up for him in the presence of the queen.
The Diva also announced that he has other tapes which are more shocking.
And to close it all, he has a new dog (after he lost custody of dog Paco) which is named...Pablo. The guy is a freak.

Margarita has got to be regretting the day she married this fool!

The Watcher said:
[FONT=verdana, arial][FONT=verdana, arial]More from BRMB

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
I have to disagree with some of you reg. Beatrix's tone and attitude as represented by the transcript of the tape (which experts seem to agree on is the real deal).

Yes I do think that Edwin is a delusional, self important freak, and I also believe that that is and was the initial reason/ground for the Orange family to not take a shine to him.

However, all the same: the tone of Beatrix in this transcript towards her niece is very very patronizing. Condescending even. Beatrix clearly sees herself as the parent reprimanding the non-conformist child. She doesn't in other words, for most of the conversation, take Margarita seriously. Which I think is very disrespectful.

Moreover, it's clear that QB for most of the conversation, instead of reacting to the accusations and allegations of Margarita, chooses the strategy of personal and on-the-person attack, as to, one could argue, distract from the main issue: was Margaritha cum husband ever harrassed by the Queen's own office, or not? That was the issue. But QB sidesteps it again and again in this conversation. For example, to quote from the excerpt:

[FONT=verdana, arial][FONT=verdana, arial][FONT=verdana, arial]"Princess Margarita:
I can prove all this.

Proofs? If you can not spell the name of Rhodius for once, and that is no chef of the Cabinet [the Kabinet der Koningin, the Queen's Office / HM] but the director of the Cabinet."

Very condescending. As if the fact that Margaritha misspels a name, would indicate that she is wrong on all other accounts, too. (This by te way is a typical conversational tactic when someone isn't able to provide a decent counter-argument in a conversation: they then resort to playing it on the person, as they say. That's what Beatrix did.)

Now, I'm not saying anything here against Beatrix per se. She is in my opinion the best and most professional member of the DRF.

But at the same time, it has turned out as fact that Margaritha and de Roy were right on at least one point of accusation: There WAS an investigation by the gov. into them at some point.

The couple may have not been eavesdropped on, but it has been acknkowledged that there had been investigations into Edwin at least, even when there was no (security or other) reason to do so. Worse, Beatrix denied this, even though she was aware that the investigation (mild as it might have been, checking with Edwin's employers for example) had happened.

I think that this gave an already paranoid Margaritha more food for (sometimes delusional) thought.

In short: I think Beatrix, in this conversation is trying to distract from where the gov/B's office, did Margaritha wrong. And that's as sad as the paranoia by Edwin and Margaritha that followed it.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Warren said:
Wow! Thank you The Watcher. Did Edwin really think this recorded conversation would embarass the Royal House? It just shows how formidable Queen Beatrix is, and how Margarita's "poor pity me" act went down like a lead balloon.

She is formidable indeed, not to be taken advantage of that is certain.
She seems to be a real level-headed person (although I agree she does seem to talk to the lady in a way that is patronizing). Beatrix even seems like she is also trying to give some advice, certainly she is seen to being patient with this neice, which comments show she obviously does care about the lady, in spite of the problem!

Last edited:
fee said:
Oh good Alisa, I thought I missed something in that conversation, that made QB come thru in shining armor.
I thought that QB was very much in control of the conversation (something I had expected;) ) but not one single moment took she Margarita seriously as an adult. She handled and reprimanded her like a child. Of course Margaritas behaviour was erratic at best, her accusations and reasoning weird and childish.
[..]
QB managed to block almost all of M. arguments with replies from your average principal. She didn't do anything to convince her niece that her arguments lacked any trace of truth. And in doing so she hasn't really washed her own hands clean, didn't she?

Couldn;t agree more. This is actually what shocked me the most. Because in the end. Beatrix knew full well that there actually HAD been an investigation on her/the government's behalf into Edwin. Granted, not nearly on the level that Edwin alleges, but all the same, there was an investigation, totally unnecessary legally, but it was done. And Beatrix knew (instigated???) it.

I am surprised you all are so content with the tone of B. At best, QB's attitude and response remind me of when my parents (same nationality, same generation ;) --strongly disagree with some of my choices, although they've never sounded this condesending luckily! Or, yes, of a school principal who feels she's right simply because she has ages and decades on the other person!

It would have been classier of B. to have simply cut the conversation short. To say sth along the lines of: well, since we clearly don't see eye to eye on this one, let's continue this at some other, better point in time. Or something like that. instead of trying to evade someone else's peeve with you by telling them the devil has gotten in them. That just plain smacks of disdain, condescencion, haughtiness, snobbiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom