Princess Catharina-Amalia, News and Pictures 3 (Dec 2005 - July 2006)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
rchat said:
I was wondering the same thing... why does everyone on the board always call her Amalia instead of Catharina (which is a very pretty name btw)? It's not like there's already many royals named Catharina and it would cause confusion. Does the royal family prefer to call her Amalia as well?

Her parents decided to call her by her second name Amalia and it just stuck so now everyone calls her Amalia, even the media.

Yes, it is actually exactly the same as with her uncle Johan-Friso (called Friso by everyone) and his daughter Emma Luana, who is called Luana. Maybe it's a family tradition, I don't know. ;)

I thought that I read that it was a more common practice in the Netherlands to call a person not by their given(birth)name, but by a middle or second name? Maybe someone from the Netherlands could help us out?

ravergirl said:
I thought that I read that it was a more common practice in the Netherlands to call a person not by their given(birth)name, but by a middle or second name? Maybe someone from the Netherlands could help us out?
Well, as far as I know it's not common. Most people I know are just called by their first name, which is their official name too (or a different form of it. My first name is Elisabeth for instance, but everybody calls me Elise). But when two names are linked together by a - (like in Willem-Alexander or Catharina-Amalia) it actually is seen as one name. Since names like this are so long, people prefer using one of the two linked names to refer to someone, just because it is easier. Which of the two they use, is totally up to them. I know several people with names as Anne-Marie, Marie-Claire etc., who use one of the two names to refer to themselves...

Though I know also some people who have two or three names, given to them at birth or christening of which they use the second (or even third) one. But they're not the majority...

Last edited:
Maxie said:
Yes, it is actually exactly the same as with her uncle Johan-Friso (called Friso by everyone) and his daughter Emma Luana, who is called Luana. Maybe it's a family tradition, I don't know. ;)

and let's not forget W-A who's called Alexander by the family:cool:

crisiñaki said:
and let's not forget W-A who's called Alexander by the family:cool:

Yes, that's true! But he's only called Alexander by his family. People over here refer to him as Willem-Alexander (or simply Wim-Lex, which is very popular too ;)), but there are more people who refer to Johan-Friso as Friso, I think. Though most people I know aren't talking about Johan-Friso at all, it's just his intruiging and bow loving wife they're interested in. ;)

Actually the court issued a statement a few years ago that from then on his official name was Prince Friso, they dropped 'Johan'.

Marengo said:
Actually the court issued a statement a few years ago that from then on his official name was Prince Friso, they dropped 'Johan'.

Okay, I totally missed out on that one! I never knew it! :)
Thanks for clearing this mystery up, Marengo. ;)

I Never saw the Annoucement thanks for telling me this interesting tidbit

Princesses

[:) all little princeses are just beautiful, all of them will be great queens

Yes, We finally saw pictures of them after such a long absence!

http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2006/04/27/dutchroyals/
amaliatit.gif

Little Princess Amalia has little trouble leading the pack when it comes to her popularity with the Dutch people. And it would appear the energetic two-year-old is equally unbeatable on the sporting field, after she showed off her athletic skills in a primary school fun run.....

She's so cute!

oh! these girls are soooo adorable. Catharina-Amalia especially, she has certainly picked up her mothers facial expressions! :D

Princess Catharina-Amalia is sooooo cute and sweet:)

She is soooooooooo cute!! Thanks for the pic!! :) :) :)

They must have taken this picture when they took the picture of Alexia for her birthday. Amalia is so adorable!

She looks like she has quite a personality already! I'm loving this pic! :)

marezdote said:
They must have taken this picture when they took the picture of Alexia for her birthday. Amalia is so adorable!

That's right, the pictures are taken the same day.

Absolutely beautiful!!! W-A and Maxima must be so happy, having these two little bloned-haired angels at home:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom