Prince Maurits, Princess Marilène and Family, News and Pictures 1 (Jun 2004-Feb 2006)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
July 13 2005 Marilene with Lucas & (a not too happy) Anna.

Photos: Peter Smulders

Attachments

• Anna v Vollenhoven 136052.jpg
    Anna v Vollenhoven 136052.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 466
  • Anna v Vollenhoven 1350688.jpg
    Anna v Vollenhoven 1350688.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 538
Alexandria said:
It seems to me that Queen Juliana, or perhaps it was Prince Bernhard, or both of them, were quite vigilant in their regular (not sure if they were annual or not, but frequent enough) photoshoots of themselves with their children and grandchildren. (More of the Queen and Prince with their grandchildren as the grandchildren became older I've noticed however.) They've become nice nostalgic reminders of the now grown princes and princesses -- sometimes we can even see their own children reflected in their own young faces.

While I know that Beatrix won't have nearly as many grandchildren as her mother did, I do hope that we can see some pictures of her with all of her sons, daughter-in-laws and grandchildren in the very near future. (It would've seemed reasonable and logical to have some taken in conjunction with the Queen's Silver Jubilee celebrations back in the spring, especially since some formal portraits were taken of the Queen herself.)

Princess Margriet seems to conduct such photoshoots every few years. There are many pictures of her and Pieter with all four of their sons, then with Maurits and Bernhard Jr. and their new wives, then with her grandchildren. Soon I hope we'll get ones of her and Pieter with their two other new daugher in laws and baby Felecia!

Yes, Jubilee year would be the perfect time to have a nice family photo ... and the year is not over yet, so maybe we can still have a little bit of hope that this will happen.:)

Marengo said:
thanks Squidgy! Those pictures are indeed from the mid/late seventies, I think 1976 and 1978/1977, as princess Christina is shown wihout children in the first pic and only with her eldest son Bernardo in the second picture. I remember that in the 80-ties a familypicture was taken in 1987, on the occasion of the olden wedding of Juliana and Bernhard. In 1997 the same happened when they celebrated their diamond wedding and that picture was taken in Kenia. Sadly, I was unable to find these pictures.

I would like to see new pics of the van Vollenhoven clan as well, the last pictures of the family are very recent I think, so we probably have to wait for at least a year.

Marengo, thanks for the information about the colour picture. I didn't realize that group photos were taken in the 80s & 90s - I guess the family isn't doing as badly as I had thought. But, yes, we are overdue for a new batch.

And yes, you're right, we just got some new pictures of the Van Vollenhovens in January, so we probably won't be getting more this year. (Next January, Margriet & Pieter celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary - a perfect excuse for more great pictures, I think)

Pics from Peter Smulders:)
17 august 2005

Prinses20Marilene2017805412.jpg

Prinses20Marilene2017805769.jpg

Prinses20Marilene2017805611.jpg

other pics from Peter Smulders
13 july 2005

Prinses20Marilene2013070596.jpg

Lucas20v20Vollenhoven201307059.jpg

Prinses20Marilene20130705167.jpg

What a wonderful family,they are so lovely and the children so cute. Felicia seems to be grown very fast,:)

Isn't it weird that the children have blond hair and their parents brown hair?

DDD said:

Not all all. There are 12,5% of chance that a couple with bith brown hair gave child with blond hair. A couple of friends of my parents has both very brown hair, the three children are very blond.

lovely picture, thank you for posting them. Felicia has grown very fast indeed!!

Does anybody know when she will be baptised?

DDD said:

It's also quite possible that it will darken as they get older. It's quite common that children have blonde hair as children and it darkens to brown. This was the case for one of my sisters. :)

According RTL Boulevard, Maurits and Marilene want to make a deal with the press, just like Willem-Alexander and Máxima. They find that the paparazzi makes too much pictures of them and their family. They are also not amused with the pictures in Prive this week.

Link: http://www.prive.nl/
Source: ATR

The Watcher said:
According RTL Boulevard, Maurits and Marilene want to make a deal with the press, just like Willem-Alexander and Máxima. They find that the paparazzi makes too much pictures of them and their family. They are also not amused with the pictures in Prive this week.

Link: http://www.prive.nl/
Source: ATR

What a gross invasion of privacy not to mention normal standards of decency of Prive to print such a private moment! :mad:

Good for Maurits and Marilene. Although this is the first time the van Vollenhovens have had such a problem it seems. Maurits and Marilene and Bernhard Jr. and Annette have usually been pretty tolerant of the paprazzi. I wonder if such a decision by M&M will make Bernhard Jr. and Annette follow suit to protect their young family?

do not agree,

think nothing should be done in public that you do not want in the papers
(goes for all of us but definitely for royals)

Alexandria said:
What a gross invasion of privacy not to mention normal standards of decency of Prive to print such a private moment! :mad:

Good for Maurits and Marilene. Although this is the first time the van Vollenhovens have had such a problem it seems. Maurits and Marilene and Bernhard Jr. and Annette have usually been pretty tolerant of the paprazzi. I wonder if such a decision by M&M will make Bernhard Jr. and Annette follow suit to protect their young family?

I believe the picture was taken while she was seated in a private space. The couple and sme neighbours rent this place to let their children lay safely and outside.

Marilene and the kids in august
from newscom

Attachments

• sipaphotos250912.jpg
    sipaphotos250912.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 242
  • sipaphotos250913.jpg
    sipaphotos250913.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 181
  • sipaphotos250914.jpg
    sipaphotos250914.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 226
  • sipaphotos250915.jpg
    sipaphotos250915.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 265
  • sipaphotos250916.jpg
    sipaphotos250916.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
susan alicia said:
do not agree,

think nothing should be done in public that you do not want in the papers
(goes for all of us but definitely for royals)

I was reading all this "stuff" and: do you all think that breastfeed it's an embarrasing or a bad thing to do in public??? cause' I don't think that!:mad:

photofan said:
I was reading all this "stuff" and: do you all think that breastfeed it's an embarrasing or a bad thing to do in public??? cause' I don't think that!:mad:

of course it is not a bad thing!

the bad thing is, that they made a picture and published it. I think, it's a private moment and they shouldn't have publish it.

does anyone know, when the picture was taken?

no offense...ok i am going to get alot of angry faces but yes i do think that breast feeding is embarrasing...its not a bad thing ofcourse... but its an uncomfortable thing to do in public for sure...as a mother it made me uncomfortable myself. i did it once and when people passed by i was uncomfortable to say the least and i also recieved dirty looks which made me realize that it make others uncomfortable as well. but as mother i understand if u have to than u do it...but i dont deny that its uncomfortable to see that. just being honest. for them to publish pictures of that is disgusting. its a private moment and it should have been kept tha way.

Last edited:
oskana said:
no offense...ok i am going to get alot of angry faces but yes i do think that breast feeding is embarrasing...its not a bad thing ofcourse... but its an uncomfortable thing to do in public for sure...as a mother it made me uncomfortable myself. i did it once and when people passed by i was uncomfortable to say the least and i also recieved dirty looks which made me realize that it make others uncomfortable as well. but as mother i understand if u have to than u do it...but i dont deny that its uncomfortable to see that. just being honest. for them to publish pictures of that is disgusting. its a private moment and it should have been kept tha way.

Well, that's only your opinion ok?:rolleyes:

photofan said:

I would Never ever do that in public!! IMO moms should do that in homes, not in public places. It is a very special moment between mother and son, it shouldn't be shared by strangers. I don't think it was an invasion of privacy because she knew she could be photographed when she was breastfeeding the child, since she was in a public place.

I have lived in both Europe and North America- through this I observed a much more open and natural association with breastfeeding. In Europe, there was much greater understanding on the major health benefits of breasfeeding and the act itself was not associated with sexuality in any way- nor should it be.

I think that Marilene should be entitled to her privacy, but I don't see why a perfectly natural thing between a mother and child should be embarassing.

Eliza

I have absolutely no problem with a woman nursing in public & am grateful that I live in a region where it is actually my legal right to nurse in public without being harrassed, or told to cover up, or to move to the washroom, etc.

In an ideal world, such a picture wouldn't cause any of us alarm, concern, etc. Seeing a mother nursing her child in public would be as natural as seeing a mother help her 4 year old child to eat by cutting up their food in at a restaurant. However, unfortunately most of us do not live in such a society. The breast has become so sexualized (used to sell cars, clothes, beer, pretty well everything) that many of us have forgotten what its primary purpose is. And because we are not in an ideal world & some people will look at that picture and somehow associate it with something sexual, I feel that Marilene's privacy has been grossly invaded.

Last edited:
Just like you, I have nothing against breastfeeding in public.:)

Was thinking about the invasion of privacy element. I live in a street of old houses that tourists like taking pictures of. Last week I was looking for my keys and a man took a picture of "me". I looked at him annoyed and he said "no,no" gesturing towards the house and I believed him because I am not really interesting to look at.

Marilene is pretty but the reason they take pictures of her and her children is because she is a member of the royal family and if she does not want her picture taken while breastfeeding she should not give them the opportunity.

photofan said:

Squidgy said:
I have absolutely no problem with a woman nursing in public & am grateful that I live in a region where it is actually my legal right to nurse in public without being harrassed, or told to cover up, or to move to the washroom, etc.

In an ideal world, such a picture wouldn't cause any of us alarm, concern, etc. Seeing a mother nursing her child in public would be as natural as seeing a mother help her 4 year old child to eat by cutting up their food in at a restaurant. However, unfortunately most of us do not live in such a society. The breast has become so sexualized (used to sell cars, clothes, beer, pretty well everything) that many of us have forgotten what its primary purpose is. And because we are not in an ideal world & some people will look at that picture and somehow associate it with something sexual, I feel that Marilene's privacy has been grossly invaded.

Well said Squidgy! I totally agree with you;)

Squidgy said:

Excellent post Squidy! I absolutely agree with everything you've said.

I think nursing is one of the most natural things in the world and nothing for Marilene or any mother to be embarassed about -- she/they are doing one of the most basic things in life -- nourishing their babies. I don't feel that any mother, royal or otherwise, should be relegated to their home or a bathroom or ostracized somewhere for doing something so essential and natural.

I think that those who are uncomfortable with seeing breastfeeding mothers in public are the ones with the problem, not those moms who are breastfeeding. Breastfeeding moms are not exposing themselves in any way for attention, sexual or otherwise. Any exposure would be completely unintentional, such as not pulling a shirt down quick enough or properly.

Regina said:
IMO moms should do that in homes, not in public places. It is a very special moment between mother and son, it shouldn't be shared by strangers.

Babies, especially when they are as young as Felecia, need to be fed several times a day every two or three hours. And as Marilene has two other young kids who need her as much as Felecia does, and as she does things with Anna and Lucas, too, Marilene can't be expected to be holed up inside her home all the time. It's not fair to her or to Anna and Lucas, or even Felecia who would benefit from fresh air. It is not reasonable to expect that Marilene hole herself away in her home just because Felecia feeds so often.

Alexandria said:
I think nursing is one of the most natural things in the world and nothing for Marilene or any mother to be embarassed about -- she/they are doing one of the most basic things in life -- nourishing their babies. I don't feel that any mother, royal or otherwise, should be relegated to their home or a bathroom or ostracized somewhere for doing something so essential and natural.

Obviously it's a natural and essential thing to do, Alexandria, no one is saying it's not natural. But I have the right to say if I would like to do that in public or not and I ask you to be more educated when you write that people who don't like to give breastfeeding in public have some "problem". I don't know if you have children or not but it's not because you give breastfeed in public that make you a better mother, that you can be sure.

[/QUOTE] I think that those who are uncomfortable with seeing breastfeeding mothers in public are the ones with the problem, not those moms who are breastfeeding. Breastfeeding moms are not exposing themselves in any way for attention, sexual or otherwise. Any exposure would be completely unintentional, such as not pulling a shirt down quick enough or properly. [/QUOTE]

I didn't write anything about searching sexual attention, but I don't think that's a very elegant and regal thing to do in public. If she was doing a very natural thing in public, then I don't see why the pics were an invasion of privacy.
That's my opinion and you have to respect it (like I respected everyone who had different opinions from mine) without offending people who doesn't think the way you do. You are administrator of trf but that doesn't give you the right to try to be the "moralizer of people".

Thank you.

Regina said:
Obviously it's a natural and essential thing to do, Alexandria, no one is saying it's not natural. But I have the right to say if I would like to do that in public or not and I ask you to be more educated when you write that people who don't like to give breastfeeding in public have some "problem". I don't know if you have children or not but it's not because you give breastfeed in public that make you a better mother, that you can be sure.

Regina, I was only quoting your comment (just as I did Squidy's) and sharing my opinon in reply to it. I did not intend to personally insult you. I was merely using your post as a reference point and offereing a different opinon, just as I used Squidy's post as a reference point and sharing in her opinon and adding to it with my own.

And I never once said in my post that women who nurse their babies in public are better mothers than those who don't nurse in public or don't nurse at all. Please show me where I wrote that. :confused:

Regina said:
That's my opinion and you have to respect it (like I respected everyone who had different opinions from mine) without offending people who doesn't think the way you do. You are administrator of trf but that doesn't give you the right to try to be the "moralizer of people".

I don't feel that I disrespected your opinon just as I don't feel that susan alicia in a previous post disrespected my opinon by saying that she did not agree that Marilene and Felecia's privacy was invaded as she nursed in a public place. That was susan alicia's opinon and I feel that she made a valid point (Sorry susan alician for using you as an example.)

I don't share your opinon but that doesn't mean that I disrespected it.

And my above post, just as like this post, was shared not as an Administrator of this forum, but as a regular member like everyone else. If I am making an Administrator's post, I would sign it as such. So I was certainly not "moralizing to the people" or trying to impose an opinon as an Administrator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom