The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Dutch Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

I do not think they would allow someone in "his condition" basically not alive to continue on a respirator for this length of time, in the Netherlands. I could be wrong. You can buy anything. And, it is true, that they have lived in London for a long time, so if nothing else, he is close to his home.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:16 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica Lauren View Post
I wonder why Johan is not in the Netherlands but London? Is it a specialty that the Netherlands does not have?
I think it was mentioned somewhere in the thread about prince Friso's accident that there are no speciality care clinic in the Netherlands for adults with severe brain damages such as the prince has.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:15 AM
Commoner

Where can I send cards to Princess Mabel and Prince Friso?
Old 07-19-2012, 08:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica Lauren View Post
Where can I send cards to Princess Mabel and Prince Friso?
The postal adress can you see here:

Contact - Het Koninklijk Huis
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:43 AM
Aristocracy

You can send cards to:

Their Royal Highnesses Prince Friso and Princess Mabel of Orange-Nassau

Paleis Noordeinde
Postbus 30412
2500 GK Den Haag
The Netherlands
Old 07-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Commoner

Thanks Hendrik,
I could not get the Dutch on the contact page to translate to English so I was not sure which address to use. Thanks!
Old 08-14-2012, 04:21 PM
Serene Highness

So not to sound insensitive but, why is he being kept alive? I am wondering because if he is being kept alive by a machine, he really isnt alive and would not be alive if he would be taken off the machine. Is there a reason he is being kept alive? I know it is up to the family to decide this but in my opinion there really is no reason to continue. They should let him go now. I would think it would be easier to heal and move on. Just a thought.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:28 PM
Heir Apparent

I suspect that the family will come to the decision sooner or later. It takes time to prepare oneself for that kind of choice.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
So not to sound insensitive but, why is he being kept alive? I am wondering because if he is being kept alive by a machine, he really isnt alive and would not be alive if he would be taken off the machine. Is there a reason he is being kept alive? I know it is up to the family to decide this but in my opinion there really is no reason to continue. They should let him go now. I would think it would be easier to heal and move on. Just a thought.
I agree, but I wouldn't want to be the one to make the choice. I can't even imagine and so while I wonder as you do as to his viability, the longer time passes the harder the decision, I would think.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

This is the reason I think the medics were wrong to keep trying to resuscitate for such a long time!
They would never have done it for an ordinary person, imo.
And just look at the extra pain they caused for the family, now that they'll have to make the decision.
If those paramedics let him go in the first place, the family could have started to heal by now. Instead they'll be faced with this, and no matter what you do, you feel horrible.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
This is the reason I think the medics were wrong to keep trying to resuscitate for such a long time!
They would never have done it for an ordinary person, imo.
And just look at the extra pain they caused for the family, now that they'll have to make the decision.
If those paramedics let him go in the first place, the family could have started to heal by now. Instead they'll be faced with this, and no matter what you do, you feel horrible.
I am not sure they wouldn't have fought to restart a heart, on just anyone, they do, we have, but in this case it has been a cruel work.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
There is a lengthy discussion about prince Friso's condition and speculations why he is kept alive in this thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...2-a-32618.html
Old 08-15-2012, 12:34 AM
Serene Highness

Oops sorry. Didnt mean to start a discussion in the wrong thread.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:04 AM
Royal Highness

Paramedics have to keep up resuscitation until they're given the order to stop by a MD, as do nurses. As long as there is a heartbeat and rhythm, the team works on a patient, only the doctor can declare enough is enough and to stop. Now it will be up to his family and it's a horrible decision to make. I know from experience.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Commoner

In the medical profession there is a saying when doing CPR, "you are not dead until you are warm and dead".

It means that if you need resuscitation (as Prince Friso did) and you are cold, they may not stop with CPR (cardio - pulmonary resuscitation) until you have become warm. The reason is that the heart may not want / cant start as it is too cold. Hence the patient needs to be warmed up sufficiently and then only can CPR stop.

This is also for cases of near-drowning or falling into frozen lakes in the winter. Many people have been succesfully resuscitated to live full lives in this scenario. but the CPR really MUST be done very well to perfuse the brain with sufficient oxygen.

In Prince Friso case he was without oxygen for a prolonged period, before CPR was commenced. This was probably where the brain damage has occurred. Well we all know it was....

An awful situation for all, especially Mabel and QB.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:31 PM
Serene Highness

Prince Friso is alive because medical personnel and doctors didn't give up on him and continued treating him even when the situation didn't look very good for him. Unless something changes, he's basically in limbo right now.

Tough decision for the family as there are no right or wrong answers in this case. I think the family can take comfort in the fact that everything medically and humanly possible was done to keep him alive if he doesn't recover.

Perhaps in saving him (even if he doesn't recover), medical knowledge could be learned from what happen to him which perhaps down the road could save, help or extend other people's lives who are in a similiar situation as he was.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Actually, it is worse than limbo, because without all the adjutant machinery, he is dead, he is not in a persistent, vegatative state, from what little has been written. It is a dreadful situation for all. I doubt that great medical strides can be made from his dificult situation.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:13 AM
Heir Apparent

slightly hopeful news as it seems friso has opened his eyes before falling again in a comma, according to the telegraph

Google Translate
http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/1...e_ogen___.html
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 09-22-2012, 07:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

It would be marvellous if he could completely awake !!!
Old 09-22-2012, 08:51 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

Please keep all discussion related to Prince Friso's condition in the http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...2-a-32618.html thread. Further posts will either be moved or deleted.

Tags
current events, friso, mabel, prince friso, princess mabel