Prince Friso and Princess Mabel, Current Events 1 (August 2003 - September 2006)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
zhontella  Posted: Nov 4th, 2003 - 5:20 pm

I think Queen Wilhelminia (sp?) abdicated sometime in the 50s? So she might have been about 65 then too? It would be great if anyone had personal history on any of these Dutch queens.

According to
http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/UK/welcome.html

Queen Wilhelmina was born in 1880 and abdicated in 1948. So, at age 68.
Queen Juliana was born in 1909 and abdicated in 1980. So, at age 71.

Queen Beatrix was born in 1938 and if she were abdicate at age 65, would do so in 2003. Obviously that's not going to happen .... although with this scandal with Johan Friso ?? I would speculate she will give WA what ? ... 5 years from the birth of the next heir to get semi-established, and then step down.

To round it out, Prince Willem-Alexander was born in 1967, and becomes 65 in 2032;
and child to be born in December 2003 would become 65 in 2068 !

Originally posted by Alexandria@Oct 10th, 2003 - 11:19 pm
A shame that this is the case for Johan and Mabel. I remember when the announcement of the engagement was made the press conference. There was such hope for Mabel and such immediate like of her (unlike Mary). People thought she was so wonderful and so hard working and that she had overcome this difficult past and what a wonder her mother was, etc.

And now Mabel's past has caught up to her. Does it really matter that Mabel was once linked to a mobster? It's not like she is still friends with people in his circle or that she visits his gravesite every day. Should she still be paying for her misjudgement?
The poor girl, I mean I'm sure she did not know what he was into until it was too late & then she got out. There was nothing more she could do. Besides this happend while she was going to school, that was a long time ago!! The girl has been working very hard & is a Human Rights activist now. You'd think with all the good she is doing they could overlook a mistake & toss her a bone!

www.hellomagazine.com

Investigation into Dutch prince's fiancée ends

27 NOVEMBER 2003
A follow-up investigation conducted by the Dutch secret service AIVD into the background of Prince Johan Friso's fiancée Mabel Wisse Smit has failed to uncover any further controversial details about the human rights worker, it was reported this week.

The Dutch prince effectively renounced his claim to the throne last month after a scandal erupted over his fiancée's reported links with a murdered mafia boss.

Ms Wisse Smit was alleged to have had a relationship with crime kingpin Klaas Bruinsma, who died in a gangland shooting in 1991. The 35-year-old denies she was intimately involved with the underworld boss, but admits to spending nights on his boat.

As a result of the controversy, the prince and his future wife decided against requesting parliamentary approval for their April 2004 wedding.

The investigation was originally undertaken after Prime Minister Jan Peter Balkenende said the couple gave him "incomplete and incorrect" information, and as a result, the AIVD should conduct further inquiries into the bride-to-be's past.

The princes Friso and Constantijn, honorary chairmen of the Prins Claus Fund, will attend the presentation of the Prince Claus Awards on 10th December at the Palace on the Dam.
Prince Friso is in Bejing earlier to award the price of 100.000 euro to Wang Shixiang as a recognition for his innovative research to crafts in China.
Because of the age of Shixiang the presentation will be at the Dutch embassy in Beijing.

Sources around the family said that when the birth of maxima's baby is announced, the palace would also announce that wedding is not take place anymore.....

That is quit unlikely I think. Why should they do that on such a important moment?

Well, the birth will be the importantst news then, so the break-up is then in the background. Because it is such a painfull thing, a break-up, they possibly want not a hype about it...

I think the Dutch people will be very happy with a break-up.... Quite sad for Friso and Mabel, but it is the reality... :neutral:

"As a result of the controversy, the prince and his future wife decided against requesting parliamentary approval for their April 2004 wedding."

I'm getting rather tired of the Dutch Parliament. They have to get approval to be married? They shouldn't try for it after all of the trouble that the lawmakers have caused.

Sorry, only know a little about this.

Can't understand why they'd call it quits now? After everything they've been through..

Is there pressure on them from the Dutch government or the Dutch people to call it off?

Originally posted by Binny@Nov 27th, 2003 - 11:31 pm
Sorry, only know a little about this. 

Can't understand why they'd call it quits now?  After everything they've been through..

Is there pressure on them from the Dutch government or the Dutch people to call it off?
I'm not sure if the Dutch people want it called of but the government does. I'm not to sure about whether they will or not. Its ashame really I think that what she did so long ago shouldn't undo all the good things she's doen since then.

:heart: :flower:

I think it goes like this:

When a member of the royal family wants to be married, he/she asks the permission first from the King or Queen. After that, they would ask permission from the government. If the government disapproves, either they would be allowed to be married but the royal has to renounce his/her right to the throne or either they would not be allowed to be married.

:)

Johan Friso already renounced his right to the throne so I think he and Mabel are already free to be married. The tabloids should give Mabel and Johan Friso silence first. It's getting worst. The Dutch tabloids as what I have heard from my cousin in Netherlands told me that some even criticize the two badly.. :(

The Dutch Royal family is really popular in tabloids this times.

They broke up? But...they seemed so sure. Johan Friso even renounced his place in the line of succession! (Second- not a meagre position)...That's crazy! Hmmm...would Johan Friso be able to reclaim his place in the line? Or would he be out forever? :shock:

so much for the breaking up rumours.
as everyone can see in the threat of the little princess, mabel accompanied Beatrix and Friso to the hospital, a clever PR move, she is as much part of the family as she has always been.
may they be happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, good move by Beatrix. She allowed(realistically now) Mabel to join John and her as she went to the hospital. She is now part of the family indeed.

Originally posted by moosey60@Dec 4th, 2003 - 10:40 pm
They broke up? But...they seemed so sure. Johan Friso even renounced his place in the line of succession! (Second- not a meagre position)...That's crazy! Hmmm...would Johan Friso be able to reclaim his place in the line? Or would he be out forever? :shock:
They didn't break-up, it were rumours.

But if they do break-up, Johan-Friso gets his rights back. If he still plans to marry, then he looses his rights. That will be at the moment when he says the "Yes-I-Do".

colourpress.com

Attachments

• COLOUR10022371.jpg
    COLOUR10022371.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 407
  • COLOUR10022372.jpg
    COLOUR10022372.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 410
  • COLOUR10022373.jpg
    COLOUR10022373.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 422
  • COLOUR10022353.jpg
    COLOUR10022353.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 429
  • COLOUR10022356.jpg
    COLOUR10022356.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 381
  • COLOUR10022357.jpg
    COLOUR10022357.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 406
  • COLOUR10022362.jpg
    COLOUR10022362.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 401
  • COLOUR10022369.jpg
    COLOUR10022369.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 434
  • COLOUR10022370.jpg
    COLOUR10022370.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 402
Last edited by a moderator:
does anyone know how long they have been together?

It looks like their wedding is definitely "on" (as if there was any doubt after seeing Magbel w/the Queen this past weekend). When you logon to the Dutch royal homepage it is listed there, next to the announcement of the Catharina-Amalia! April 24 is still the date.

After Johan Friso and Mabel marry, will Mabel become a princess? Will Johan Friso still be prince?

> After Johan Friso and Mabel marry, will Mabel become a princess? Will Johan Friso still be prince?

Johan Friso will remain Prince of Orange-Nassau but he will loose his title as HRH Prince of the Netherlands. Mabel will not be given a title but I believe she will have the right to use JFs title

> So, will she be Princess Johan Friso of Orange-Nassau or will she be a princess still like Princess Laurentien? I'm a bit confused about this title thing for Mabel because Friso renounced his rights and didn't see Parlimentary consent.

The tradition of using the husbands name and title like in England does not exist in The Netherlands. If it had Laurentien would have been known as Princess Constantijn as she has not been made a princess in her own right either. So I would suspect that Mabel could be known as Princess Mabel of Orange-Nassau if she wishes since she has the right to use her husbands title

Mabel doesn't get a title. I doubt if she is allowed to use Friso's title.

> Mabel doesn't get a title. I doubt if she is allowed to use Friso's title.

Titles are names in The Netherlands are they not? And spouses can use eachothers names, so why wouldn't Mabel have the right to us JFs - are there some kind of special rules for the royal tiltles?

I have never heard this before, I thought that only in republics titles became names, not in monarchies & especially not within reigning royal families. It is a predicate. As Mabel will not receive a title in her own right like Maxima or Laurentien she will not be allowed to be called Pss Mabel. I guess she could be called pss Johan-F but this is very undutch (or 19th century), so my guess is that she just stays Mabel of Orange-Nassau or Mabel Wisse-Smit (dutch women can keep their own surname when they marry)

Laurentien doen't have a title in her own right, ownly Maxima does.

I have checked it an you are correct. She is allowed to call herself Pss Laurentien of the Netherlands (just like it is Pss Marilene and Pss Anette of O-N), the website of the royal house even uses these names. So a curtsey title perhaps? I just now sent an e-mail on this matter to the RVD; I do not expect a usefull reply though (they never give usefull awnsers)

Expatica

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Friso and Mabel to marry in Delft </span></span></span></span></span></span>

12 December 2003

AMSTERDAM — Prince Johan Friso and Mabel Wisse Smit — who sparked controversy earlier this year by lying about a previous relationship with drugs baron Klaas Bruinsma — will marry in Delft on 24 April.

The royal couple will marry without Parliament's approval because Mabel was forced to admit she had lied about the extent of the affair. This prompted Prime Minister Jan Peter Balkenende to confirm at the start of October that the Cabinet will not seek Parliamentary approval of the marriage.

"There is no cure for deceit," he said.

Prince Friso is currently third in line to the throne — after his brother Crown Prince Willem-Alexander and his baby daughter Princess Catharina-Amalia — but will lose succession rights by marring Mabel. Heirs to the Dutch throne must gain parliamentary approval of their marriage.

Mabel lied about the extent of her relationship with Bruinsma, who was shot and killed in Amsterdam in 1991. After former Bruinsma bodyguard Charlie da Silva claimed Mabel had been in a relationship with the mafia boss, she was forced to admit her friendship with Bruinsma was closer than previously thought.

But the lauded human rights worker continued to deny she had been sexually involved with Bruinsma and despite subsequent rumours that she and Prince Friso had broken up, the marriage will go ahead as planned.

Mabel's first public appearance after the scandal came on Sunday 7 December when she arrived at the Bronovo Hospital in The Hague with her fiancé and his mother, Queen Beatrix. The royal trio was visiting Prince Willem-Alexander and his wife Princess Maxima, after she gave birth of the nation's future queen.

The Government Information Service (RVD) announced on Friday the marriage will go ahead in April as planned, confirming Delft as the location, news agency ANP reported.

Delft Mayor Hein van Oorschot will officiate during the civil ceremony and Reverend Carel ter Linden — who officiates at most royal family religious ceremonies, such as funerals and weddings — will perform the church wedding in the Oude Kerk.

The RVD said the royal couple chose to wed in Delft "because of the historical links between the House of Oranje-Nassau and the city". Furthermore, Prince Friso and Mabel's father studied at the Delft Technical University.

[Copyright Expatica News 2003]

Well, bravi to them. I love that. Well, they said they knew each other. That should have been enough for the people. O, well.

"extent of her relationship "

Not their business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom