Prince Friso and Princess Mabel, Current Events 1 (August 2003 - September 2006)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread of News and Pictures of Johan Friso and Mabel has now been cleaned up.

However, in the process of cleaning up, I had to remove a lot of posts with links that no longer work, including several of Mabel in her pink bow creation while she was pregnant. While it was not a dress that members liked, it would be great to have them re-posted anyways as a "record" of events attended by Johan Friso and Mabel.

Attending the Concert on Friday 29th April night:

Attachments

• 521459c.jpg
    521459c.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 1,350
  • 521465n.jpg
    521465n.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 1,364
Attending on Saturday 30th April morning:

Attachments

• 521493c.jpg
    521493c.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 1,350
  • 521493m.jpg
    521493m.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 1,342
  • 521464c.jpg
    521464c.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 1,333
  • 521464p.jpg
    521464p.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 1,337
  • 521464q.jpg
    521464q.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 1,341
On Saturday April 30th night:

Attachments

• 521505e.jpg
    521505e.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 1,334
  • 521464e.jpg
    521464e.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 1,341
From Getty Images:

Attachments

• 52739783.jpg
    52739783.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 248
  • 52739943.jpg
    52739943.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 287
Prince Friso and Princess Mabel now have their profiles at the Official site of the Royal Family. The links below (they are in the Queen Beatrix's profile)

Friso

Mabel

1. Princess Mabel (November 2004)
2. Princess Mabel (February 2005)
3. Princess Mabel (April 2005)

Attachments

• Dansuitvoering i.v.m. het huwelijk van Johan Friso & Mabel.jpg
    Dansuitvoering i.v.m. het huwelijk van Johan Friso & Mabel.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 303
  • Prinses Mabel bij de uitreiking van het eredoctoraat van koningin Beatrix (2).jpg
    Prinses Mabel bij de uitreiking van het eredoctoraat van koningin Beatrix (2).jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 284
  • Koninginnedag 2005 (4).jpg
    Koninginnedag 2005 (4).jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 395
Bubbette said:
I htought they weren't prince and princess anymore?

Friso gave up his rights to the throne but not his titles. Mabel, as said in her profile, uses them as a courtesy.

susan alicia said:
Mabel has really had a remarkabel life untill now,

first she stayed as a houseguest on the boat -for a night or 2- of someone who turned out to be a really, really bad man.

Then she had a friend who according to the telegraaf of a few day ago put her in danger of being abducted by cronies of unpleasantly rightwing people.

and

then she marries a prince.

Who would think that one of the merits of this website would be to make you thankfull for a uneventfull life?

That's so well put. I like my relatively uneventful existence :p

i find it quite rude that both friso and mabel don't give any kind of information about luana. we all know she is their daughter and that they can decide wether to give or not official photos or information (about the christeninf for example), but friso was sometime a member of the royal family and it would be really 'royal' and elegant if they were not so resentful because the parliament didn't accept mabel because of her past.

carlota said:
i find it quite rude that both friso and mabel don't give any kind of information about luana. we all know she is their daughter and that they can decide wether to give or not official photos or information (about the christeninf for example), but friso was sometime a member of the royal family and it would be really 'royal' and elegant if they were not so resentful because the parliament didn't accept mabel because of her past.

I disagree that it's because they are "resentful" that they aren't as forthcoming about Luana's baptism or their life.

Firstly, Johan Friso has never wanted a relationship with the press. He has alway shied away from the press and kept as much of his life private as possible -- such as while he and Mabel were dating. I see no difference now that he is married and has a family. Likely, he would be more private and protective now with a little baby to protect. Even Willem and Maxima as the future King and Queen have a love/hate relationship with the press, and they in a sense need the press now and in the future. Johan Friso and Mabel are in no such need.

Secondly, I never got the impression that Johan Friso was big on being a prince. I'm sure that enjoys the privileges but he was never big on the public events. As the second son, one would expect that he would've carried on more duties in the past (before his marriage to Mabel), but it was actually Constantijn who carried out more royal duties. That is why I've always believed that when Johan Friso was removed from the line of succession because of the Mabel situation, he was quite relived and that it worked out quite well in his favour.

Thirdly, just as there are clear duties and expectations for Willem and Maxima and their family as Crown Prince and Crown Princess there are non-expecations of non-members of the royal house. Johan Friso and Mabel fall into this latter category and there are no expectations of how much they should share with the public and the press about Luana or their life. They frankly don't have to share a single thing about their lives. That they even permitted the two or three official pictures of themselves and Luana with the Queen already exceeds expectations.

They are part of Queen Beatrix's family of course, and so the only way we'll see pictures of or get information about their family is through her -- and through their connection with her. I think we'll get very few pictures of just the three of them (and their future children). Such pictures will always include the Queen or other members of the royal family who are in the line to succession.

So I don't think their behaviour is "rude" or "unroyal" at all. Their behaviour and actions is perfectly in line with someone who is not part of a royal house but is "merely" a member of the Queen's family. (Consider how much information or how many formal portraits we get of King Juan Carlos' sisters and their families -- very little.)

Alexandria said:
So I don't think their behaviour is "rude" or "unroyal" at all. Their behaviour and actions is perfectly in line with someone who is not part of a royal house but is "merely" a member of the Queen's family. (Consider how much information or how many formal portraits we get of King Juan Carlos' sisters and their families -- very little.)

I totally agree with that. The same can be said about Queen Beatrix's sisters Irene & Christina and their families. I, for instance, know very little about them and hey... I'm Dutch. I think it's their choice to choose for a life in relative anonimity and luckily for them, they can because they aren't members of the Royal House anymore.

Maxie said:
I totally agree with that. The same can be said about Queen Beatrix's sisters Irene & Christina and their families. I, for instance, know very little about them and hey... I'm Dutch. I think it's their choice to choose for a life in relative anonimity and luckily for them, they can because they aren't members of the Royal House anymore.

A much better and closer to home example than the one I provided Maxie. And you're right: When was the last time we got any official portraits of Irene or Christina and their families? While earlier this spring we got some new official portraits of Princess Margriet and her family.

I cannot think of the last time there was an official picture released of either Christina or Irene's families. Not even from Margarita and Edwin's wedding was there a family picture of Irene with her sons and daughters. (In hindsight that might've turned out to be a good thing but that's a digression.)

And as discussed in another thread, I think the Apeldoorn branch of the royal family is much better at posing for and releasing official family portraits than the Queen and her family are. We get many more official portraits of Princess Margriet, Pieter van Vollenhoven and their entire clan than we do of Beatrix and her sons, daughter-in-laws and grandchildren. There has never actually even been one picture of Beatrix with all her sons, daughter-in-laws since they've all been married, let alone one of Beatrix with her grandchildren.

While Johan Friso still holds the title of Prince and is the Queen's son, we have to let go of whatever expectations we hold of royals and regular updates on their lives. What we can expect from Willem and Maxima about their family will not be the same amount of information we can expect about Johan and Mabel and their family, or even of Constantijn, Laurentien and their family.

I don't think it's "rude" per se, I simply wish to see more of their little family. Royal house members or no, they're still very visible as the Queen's children (and grandaughter).

And as far as Princess Cristina goes, she lives in New York I believe, so it's easier to understand why we don't see much of her. I kind of wish we did though - we know so little about her and her children. It was nice to see Juliana at the wedding and I wish we'd see more members of the family more often. *sigh* :)

PARIS - OCTOBER 3: Viktor & Rolf and Princess Mabel of Orange (C) are seen backstage at the Viktor & Rolf show during Paris Fashion Week (Pret-a-Porter) Spring/Summer 2006 on October 3, 2005 in Paris, France. (Photo by Eric Ryan/Getty Images)

Source: Getty Images

Attachments

• NL-55846205.jpg
    NL-55846205.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 323
  • NL-55846209.jpg
    NL-55846209.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 340
  • NL-55846207.jpg
    NL-55846207.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 365
  • NL-55846224.jpg
    NL-55846224.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 294
Mabel looks very well, esp. in the 3rd picture, very flattering indeed.

i agree. she looked beautiful, although some colour would made her look nicer.
by the way, the jacket she is wearing is the one she used for the jubilee celebrations some months ago. it's a viktor & rolf, as well :) (wonder if she wears more designers?)

I thought she wore a lighter version of this jacket during the jubilee? A silver one, with black trousers...

She looks really nice. The jacket does look like a smaller and lighter version of the Jubilee jacket.

Good for her for promoting and wearing Dutch Designers.

Alisa said:
She looks really nice. The jacket does look like a smaller and lighter version of the Jubilee jacket.

Good for her for promoting and wearing Dutch Designers.

I agree on all three counts.

I think that she looks quite glamourous, especially in the third picture. Her hair style really suits her as well. And it seems she has finally lost the bows. :D

well, considering the bows were the theme of last years V&R line, we may now see 'I love you' written all over her wardrobe (this years theme) ;)

Mabel looks great, Viktor & Rolf again of course. I wish Maxima took a hint from her this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom