Princess Catharina-Amalia, News and Pictures 1 (December 2003 - January 2005)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karolinabraganza

Nobility
God bless her

ps: i am realising that i write thread with a t, which is obviously very misleading...i am not a native speaker, i feel very silly, please forgive me everyone!! :blush:

The baby will be called Amalia,that´s a wonderful name.
But Beatrix and Carmen?It´s a tribute to Amalia´s grandmothers:
Queen Beatrix
Carmen Cerruti

Catharina has been chosen because it´s a regal name for the next Queen...

Also Eloise is names Beatrix:
Eloise Sophie Beatrix Laurence

"Victoria" as fifth name, means that, that crown princess Victoria will become her godmother?

It sounds awful... Catharina-Amalia: such old-fashioned... But very good idea that the names of the grandmothers are second and third name.

Originally posted by Danielane@Dec 9th, 2003 - 4:47 am
It sounds awful... Catharina-Amalia: such old-fashioned... But very good idea that the names of the grandmothers are second and third name.
Well old-fashioned names are in, just think of Maud Angelica, and I expect them to be even more popular after this.

Personally I think it's good that they haven't named her something new and modern. A big point of a monarchy these days are the historical roots, which shows when they name a baby.

(And of course it's more interesting to discuss the Royals of the world than the presidents... :innocent: )

I love old-fashioned names as long as they are traditionally royal!

Without those names, the royals won't sound royal anymore.

From the Danish Newspaper BT:
Hollandsk prinsesse hedder Catharina-Amalia

Den nyfødte hollandske arveprinsesse får navnet Catharina-Amalia Beatrix Carmen Victoria van Oranje-Nassau med kaldenavnet Amalia. Det meddelte hendes far, kronprins Willem-Alexander, da han i dag lod sin førstefødte registrere på folkeregistret i Haags rådhus.

Kronprinsens hustru, den argentinsk-fødte prinsesse Maxima, havde søndag født prinsessen på Bronovo-hospitalet i den hollandske hovedstad.

Og næppe var prinsessen, der er nummer to i arvefølgen, født, før naboerne i Belgien havde travlt med at udpege hendes kommende ægtemand, nemlig den... ...16 uger gamle belgiske prins Gabriel, der er det belgiske tronfølgerpars andet barn.

Den flamske senator Vincent Van Quickenborne vil ifølge belgiske medier kræve en lov fra 1830 ændret, fordi den forbyder giftermål mellem de belgiske og hollandske kongehuse.

Well, this is interesting: two days old and the press is trying to marry her off already :woot: And trying to change the laws so they can do it... :shock:

Hi together!

That's my first post here! :rolleyes:

So, in the german radio I heard Willem-Alexander saying, that Victoria they choosed because of the meaning of the name. he also said, that the bayb will only be called Amalia, but he and Maxima liked the combination with Catharina.
But maybe the crown princess of Sweden will be her god-mother?

All the best!

Line* :flower:

Originally posted by norwegianne+Dec 9th, 2003 - 5:45 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (norwegianne @ Dec 9th, 2003 - 5:45 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Danielane@Dec 9th, 2003 - 4:47 am
Well old-fashioned names are in, just think of Maud Angelica, and I expect them to be even more popular after this.

Personally I think it's good that they haven't named her something new and modern. A big point of a monarchy these days are the historical roots, which shows when they name a baby.

(And of course it's more interesting to discuss the Royals of the world than the presidents... :innocent: ) [/b][/quote]
Maud and Angelica are not old fashioned to me, Maud is popular in France. I prefer a lot Maud Angelica than Catharina-Amalia.

Originally posted by Poppy@Dec 9th, 2003 - 5:52 am
I love old-fashioned names as long as they are traditionally royal!

Without those names, the royals won't sound royal anymore.
I too love old names, but some names are to old-fashioned to me. I agree that royal can't have "common" or "modern" names, but royal doesn't have to mean insuitable. IMO, Catharina-Amalia is rather insuitable.
I heard that prince Laurent of Belgium said that their baby would be be a girl called Louise, which is an old and royal name, but I think it sounds lovely, and I'd like to give this name to my daughter, if I have children.

Victoria could be her godmother. It would be nice esp. Victoria is not a mother at the moment, she might like to be a godmother!

i am sorry but i dont like the name Amalia , is really old and ugly with Catharina
better choices Emma , Juliana , but that is going to be the name ! i hope they found her a nice nick name , like Mia (for amalia ) ,amelie , or something like that

HRH Princess Catharina-Amalia Beatrix Carmen Victoria

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 526
I find it a beautiful name:woot: :

Amalia for family and friends.
Catharina-Amalia for her as princess.

Just like,
Alexander for family and friends
Willem-Alexander for him as prince.

It's really NOT awful :angry: , Princess Jopie that's awful :p . But this name is not awful.

It's is a good chose!

--------------------------------

You know....in the future. Imagine....a low voice is speaking on the television. "There is she coming....the daughter of King Willem IV of the Netherlands and Queen Maxima of the Netherlands....She is wearing a beautiful red (like her mother! )dress...Today we had the honour that Crownprincess Catharina-Amalia of the Netherlands visits our beautiful country....."

Sounds good! :p

Two names that end with "a" sounds odd to my ears. She will sound rather Spanish if you ask me. Anyway, Beatrix is there and that's good.

Does anyone know where the name Carmen came from? Is that a name common in the Dutch royal family or Maxima's family?

And surprising that Juliana isn't one of the middle names.

From the BBC:

"Dutch Crown Prince Willem-Alexander has named his new baby daughter Catharina-Amalia Beatrix Carmen Victoria.

The princess, who was born on Sunday, is second in line to the throne and will be known as Amalia for short.

As he arrived at the register office in the Hague, the prince was greeted by a crowd of hundreds of well-wishers.

He drank toasts with the city's mayor and Dutch Prime Minister Jan Peter Balkenende, who acted as a witness at the ceremony.

The birth has been widely celebrated - many people hung out banners in orange, the royal colour, from their homes.

Others inundated the royal website with messages of congratulations.

The Crown Prince said his wife, Argentine-born Princess Maxima was doing well and was "intensely happy".

He said Amalia "eats well, sleeps well, and cries well when she is hungry".

The 3.3kg (7.3lb) baby is likely to become Queen Amalia because boys and girls have equal succession rights in the Netherlands.

Popular couple

The names Beatrix and Carmen are taken from her grandmothers, Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands and Carmen Zorreguieta.

Her titles are Princess of the Netherlands and Princess of Oranje-Nassau.

The royal couple married in Amsterdam in February 2002.

Their easy-going manner has made them a big hit with the Dutch public.

Tens of thousands thronged the centre of Amsterdam for the wedding.

The bride's father was not permitted to attend because he had held a government position during Argentina's military dictatorship.

Prince Willem-Alexander's younger brother, Prince Johan Friso, has given up his right to the throne s a result of a controversy over his fiancee's previous contacts with a criminal."

Amalia? I don't know. It's not a name that I'm too familiar with. Sounds old-fashioned.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39614000/jpg/_39614641_babe203bodyafp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Carmen is one of Maxima´s names.beatrix in honour of Queen Beatrix.

I like the fact that they broke with tradition and chose a name that hasn't been held by a Dutch queen before. Interesting.

Amalia is named after Amalia van Solms, member of the royal family in the medieval.

Carmen is from Maria del Carmen, Maxima's mother.

Originally posted by bramair@Dec 9th, 2003 - 1:42 pm
I like the fact that they broke with tradition and chose a name that hasn't been held by a Dutch queen before. Interesting.
I like it too. Shows Maxima and Willem-Alexander's uniqueness. I do have to say that I am not as crazy about the name Amalia. I think it would have been prettier if they had called her Catharina, or made a nickname out of that. But hey, it's not my choice.

Maria would have been my choice. But not with Amalia or Catharina. Maria Beatrix but Maria would be her name.

Yes, I knew it was a past royal name. Amelia is nice too.

" Amalia is named after Amalia van Solms, member of the royal family in the medieval."

Was she a particularly important one? I mean of all of the royal names. She must have been important then or influential.

Is the French version of Catharina-Amalia's name Amelie (like in the movie with Audrey Tatou)? And the English version is Amelia, right?

That's correct. A Princess Amelia brought the name to Britain in the 18th century where it was popular in the 19th century. Comes from the Old German for "industrious". Emelie comes from it. But not Emily which was a Roman clan name. Other names associated with it are Aimiliona, Amaleta, Emeline, Malia, Amalyne and Emmeline

" Amalia is named after Amalia van Solms, member of the royal family in the medieval."

Was she a particularly important one? I mean of all of the royal names. She must have been important then or influential.

As far as I know she was very very important. She was the wife of Frederik Hendrik (the third ruler of the Netherlands, son of Willem I). He became ruler of the NEtherlands because his brother wanted this and he also wanted FH to marry Amalia van Solms (a maid). So if it wasn't for her there would be no Dutch royal family.

Willem Frederik van Oranje-Nassau (24 august 1772 - 12 december 1843), King of Nederlanden (1815-1840),

Born:31-8-1602
Died:10-9-1675

married Prince Frederik Hendrik on 4th of April 1625

they had 5 childeren, 1 son Willem II (later ruler of the Netherlands, and 4 daughters.
:innocent:

Princess Madeleine of sweden whole name is Madeleine Thérèse Amelie Josephine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom