Princess Catharina-Amalia, News and Pictures 1 (December 2003 - January 2005)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the "rulers" of the Netherlands since the 16th century:

De stadhouders Van Oranje:

Stadhouder Willem I, 'Willem de Zwijger' (*1533 - †1584)

Prins Maurits (*1567 - †1625)

Stadhouder Frederik Hendrik (*1584 - †1647)

Stadhouder Willem II (*1626 - †1650)

Stadhouder Willem III, 'King William' (*1650 - †1702)

Stadhouder Willem IV (*1711 - †1751)

Stadhouder Willem V (*1748 - †1806)

Napoleontische heersers:

Koning Lodewijk Napoleon (*1778 - †1846)

Keizer Napoleon Bonaparte I (*1769 - †1821)

Het koningshuis Van Oranje:

Koning Willem I (*1772 - †1843)

Koning Willem II (*1792 - †1849)

Koning Willem III (*1817 - †1890)

Koningin Emma (*1858 - †1934)

Koningin Wilhelmina (*1880 - †1962)

Koningin Juliana (*1909)

I'm glad that WA and Maxima got a daugther, or else we would have gotten another Willem guy :wacko:

Ew...what a gross name for such a cute baby...Why couldn't they have stuck with Emma/Juliana/Beatrix...or why couldn't they have given her Victoria as a first name? Catharina Amalia...a little too old fashioned for my blood. It's not up to snuff...it would've been nicer if they had given her a more..."modern" name. I mean...her cousin Eloise has a very nice name...

Don't I feel dumb now. I'm just glad it wasn't the one from around the turn of the 18th century. I know him.

Also I read that Victoria was used for its meaning for anything else but it would be good to have KPV as the godmother anyway.

Don't know what the fuss is about. I think Catharina Amalia is a lovely name, although the repetition of the end A in Catharina and the first A in Amalia makes it rather hard to pronounce. Congratulations to the Dutch royal family!

Originally posted by beebee@Dec 9th, 2003 - 6:09 pm
I think Catharina Amalia is a lovely name, although the repetition of the end A in Catharina and the first A in Amalia makes it rather hard to pronounce.
I like this name, too. But what I think is hardest to get your tongue around with her name is the second 'a' in Amalia. Had it been Catharina-Am-e-lia, it would flow a bit easier and roll off the tongue a bit more. But with Catharina-Am-a-lia, you have to really wrap your tongue around that fourth 'a.'

Although sometimes (a lot!) people have problems with my name, and they miss the 'ia' ending, because Alexand-ra is more common than Alexand-r-ia. And then they tell me that my name is too hard to pronounce. So what can you do?!

Alexandria is also a lovely name! And it's very suitable for this forum, because it sounds so royal!

I think the problem with "Amalia" is that so many people seem to be used to "Amelia," so the former seems hard to say. But I'm sure the Dutch - the only people who really need to know how to pronounce it - manage quite well... if it's a Dutch name, that is!

Originally posted by theprincess@Dec 10th, 2003 - 12:47 am
Howi s "Amalia" pronouned???
I would think that it would be

a-mar-lee-a

Hi,

Just curious to know if it is a Dutch name? And, is Catharina a Dutch name also? Are they very unusual? Or, are there a few Catharinas and Amalias wandering around Amsterdam?

:flower:

I have no problem pronouncing it... :innocent: But Norwegian and Dutch are similar in a lot of aspects.

It would've been harder to pronounce it Amelia, for me... But again, it's the Dutch who're going to be doing the pronouncing.

I heard a news reporter pronounce her name from a dutch webcast. She pronounced it Ah-mah-lee-yah.

the names arent new (the little daughter of the prime minister is called Amélie for example), but not very common either. In dutch we have no problems with the number of 'a'in the name, easy to pronounce. Catharina is also a name used in many different forms, Kaatje, Kathariena Katrien (Donald Duck's girlfriend is called this way in dutch). Arina, etc etc. My tennants wife remarked that it is to awful that they called their daughter Catherine because she was sure that everybody would call hetb 'Kat' = a cat & a word used in dutch for women who are a little 'bitchy'. But with Amalia we will not have that problem of course ;)

I think Amalia is pronounced Ah-mah-lee-ah, too. The first attempt at pronounciating the name adds an 'R' to the name and there isn't one.

If it is a Dutch variation of the name Ameila, then instead of Ah-meal-ee-ah, it would be Ah-mah-lee-ah, as Samitude suggested.

When Willem announced the names of his daughter, did he explain why the name Catharina-Amalia was chosen? Like when Phillippe of Beligum announced the name of his son Gabriel, he said that he and Mathilde had chosen it because of its Hebrew meaning and that it was found in three different religions.

I know now why Beatrix and Carmen were chosen, but the first name and Victoria? I am curious about that.

Actually, I really really like baby Amalia's name, since my real name is María Amalia. :p
But I didn't know that Amalia was a name used in the Netherlands, because it's more common in spanish speaking countries (I'm from Costa Rica).

Anyway, congratulations to lovely princess Máxima and to prince Willem-Alexander for the birth of their cute little princess Catharina-Amalia (I just love that name!!! ;) )

Maty

I believe he said they were advised on the names. They liked Victoria because it means "victorious" or "victor".

Catharina and Amalia are names of members of the family in the past. Catharina is the name of the daughter of Willem of Orange. And Maxima and Willem-Alexander both like the names. Willem Alexander told that he and Maxima like the name Catharina-Amalia more than Amalia-Catharina. It sounds better...Catharina-Amalia. And Victoria is chosen because of the meaning of the name. Victory in the end of the name. :flower:

I find it beautiful names, Catharina-Amalia Beatrix Carmen Victoria :woot:

Originally posted by samitude@Dec 10th, 2003 - 7:48 pm
I believe he said they were advised on the names. They liked Victoria because it means "victorious" or "victor".
They weren't advised.

If they were advised, who would do the advising? A court historian? A name expert?

Willem-Alexander studied history and because of his position, he is a court historian himself :p

But no, they have chosen the names by themself. B)

Originally posted by norwegianne@Dec 10th, 2003 - 1:28 pm
I have no problem pronouncing it... :innocent: But Norwegian and Dutch are similar in a lot of aspects.

It would've been harder to pronounce it Amelia, for me... But again, it's the Dutch who're going to be doing the pronouncing.
:flower: I agree completely with you. :flower:

It is the same in Finnish and Swedish as in Norwegian, you pronounce those names (and other words, too) in most cases just so as they are written. Amelia would have been for me much more difficult to pronounce as Amalia. But so it is always with the different languages. English, when written the way as it sounds in our ears, would not seem at all the same language as written in English.
:p An example: In English "How do you do" sounds in my language like "hau du juu duu" :p

Pic: This is a tradition.... :flower:

amaliamunt_jpg_172451g.jpg

doesnt this look rather...ugly? is this really the official coin or did someone do artwork at home on the pc??

also: people complain about the fact that nobody saw until now. i was wondering: both sons of princess margerete appeared with their daughters and son in public carrying the baby on this baptism-like cloth that also amalia was presented on. also constantin did this. is this a tradition?

I don't remember Constantijn doing it with Eloise. The pictures I remember being released of Eloise's birth were ones taken in a honey-coloured room, and there was a series of them, including one of baby with Constantijn, baby with both parents, baby with Queen Beatrix and one in which Prince Claus is holding his granddaughter. I don't remember one of Constantijn and baby in a long white gown and presenting Eloise to the press the way Willem did.

Sorry, Dutch!
But it is going about Amalia and Gabriel(Belgium). It is still not possible for them to marry :p The government of Belgium have to change the constitution to make a marriage possible. :wacko:

Amalia kan niet trouwen met Gabriel
Belgisch-Nederlands koningshuwelijk ligt ingewikkeld

Het toekomstige huwelijk van het enkele dagen oude prinsesje Catharina-Amalia en het Belgische prinsje Gabriel houdt de gemoederen van juristen al danig bezig. De Belgen kondigden kort na de geboorte aan dat ze een eeuwenoude wet wilden schrappen die een huwelijk tussen leden van het Belgische en Nederlandse koningshuis verbiedt. Maar dat gaat zomaar niet, aldus de deskundigen.

De Belgische Raad van State heeft ontdekt dat het verbod alleen met een grondwetsprocedure kan worden aangepakt, schrijft dagblad De Standaard. Dat betekent dat op zijn vroegst de volgende regering van België er over kan beslissen. Bovendien is in het parlement een tweederde meerderheid nodig.

Het verbod stamt uit 1830, toen de Belgen zich onafhankelijk van Nederland verklaarden. Het voorlopig bewind was bang dat het land via een koninklijk huwelijk alsnog bij de Nederlanden zou komen te horen.

Veel haast heeft het schrappen van het decreet niet. Er zijn nauwelijks Belgische prinsen en prinsessen op huwbare leeftijd. Wel speculeren sommigen al op een echtverbintenis tussen Amalia en Gabriel, het tweede kind van de Belgische kroonprins Filip dat eveneens nog in de wieg ligt.

Of all outfits they chose to depict on this coin is Maxima's engagement day outfit! It looks silly, especially w/her holding the baby.

I love the other side of the coin w/the monogram.

So there are not yet new photos of Maxima after the birth of the princess??

Do you think they're somehow planning marrying Gabriel and Catharina-Amalia already :eek: ?

No. It's just something diplomatic to bring Belgium and the Netherlands more closer to each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom