The Prince of Orange, Current Events 1 (October 2005 - May 2007)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know why he is wearing a black hat (instead of the red one of the others). And what rank does the PoO hold in the army?

I don't know Marengo, perhaps it has to do with rank, or that he is a royal??? But, he looked handsome. lol

Colour of the Regiment

The Prince wears the baret and the insignia of the Garde Regiment Grenadiers.
The red barets are soldiers from the Airmobile Brigade. The guy in the black baret is a cavalry officer.

His Rank is Brigade-Generaal (one star general).

* = Brigade-Generaal
** = Generaal-Majoor
*** = Luitenant-Generaal
**** = Generaal
X = Maarschalk (by tradition only, usually the male Sovereign)

Navy:
* = Commandeur
** = Schout-bij-Nacht (Sheriff-by-Night / Rear Admiral)
*** = Vice-Admiraal
**** = Luitenant-Admiraal
X = Admiraal (by tradition only: usually the male Sovereign)

Last edited:
Ah, I was soo addicted to the Australian Flying Doctors on television, especially nurse Kate and the elderly couple who run the bar.

It seems they are really trying to give the prince and princess an international profile, almost half of their duties these days are abroad and for international organisations instead of in The Netherlands.

-
Thanks for explaining the barets Henri. I should have known this with a retired rear-admiral and a retired luitenant general in the family... It will give something to talk about during the next family reunion.

Marengo said:
Ah, I was soo addicted to the Australian Flying Doctors on television, especially nurse Kate and the elderly couple who run the bar.

It seems they are really trying to give the prince and princess an international profile, almost half of their duties these days are abroad and for international organisations instead of in The Netherlands.

Forgot to mention HRH is Patron of AMREF,since 1999 iirc,and flew as a pilot for the organisation in Africa many times during his holidays,many moons ago.

Oh,the elderly couple that ran the bar,yes,nurse Kate,nah,nice nurse,but ehmm,oh well:flowers::rolleyes:

Marengo said:
I actually am not that much surprised by it, I have read simular stories before. For example when the Queen enters a bell rings in the palace and all the staff has to rush away so she won't see anybody (just saw 'the devil wears prada', so in a way it reminds me of Anna Wintour).
Rather rigorous, but then it must be hard for her never to have any privacy, not even in her own house.
Have to say I can totally understand her on this one. She's already living in a fishbowl as they say, and then having to live with staff can really be a necessary evil, especially when one returns home worn out, tired.

Marengo said:
On the other side: I once spoke to one of HM. stablemasters and he only had praise for his employer, she is always very polite & kind to him & even likes a chat. But I think to those who make mistakes HM can be rather imposing, as she is a perfectionist and expects the same from others (as one of her sons (Friso?) once said in an interview.
I bet she is a very pleasant person privately. But for her work, she just HAS to be a perfectionist, if people around her would slack off, it would reflect badly on <her> as she's the 'product' in teh spotlight.

Marengo said:

Is there any specific reason for this?

Thanks for the picture The Watcher. I truly enjoy seeing pictures of the Prince of Oranje carrying out such visits.:flowers:

I am sure Máxima will appreciate those slippers. Very cute.

Verde Esmeralda said:
Is there any specific reason for this?

Preparing for the Throne & broadening their view,which ofcourse always is a good thing.

It is not as if "they are trying" as of late,same training/program/schedule,with alterations ofcourse,was used for our present Monarch.It's great for "networking",and besides,and maybe most important,it gives them the chance to develop their talents in all fields nescessary,and I think they both do a great job at that.

Some more from Kenya:
Het Koninklijk Huis

I can only imagine that with the world becoming so accessable, that a future King/Queen should have an international profile. It is also good preparation for their role, as they will need to work with different cultures and such. Better that they make the international visits now, and then focus on NL when they take on the role of King/Queen. If I am correct, sovereigns do not have too very many outside visits, and often leave that to the heir apparent. Or at least that is how it seems. Charles and Camilla seem to travel abroad alot more than QEII. Maxima and Willem Alexander more than Beatrix, Phillipe and Mathilde more than Albert and Paola, etc. It seems to be the way things go to me.

The Prince of Orange opened the Aquaterra World Forum on Development of Coastal and Delta Areas,RAI congress center,Amsterdam today.

Het Koninklijk Huis

Pics 20.02.2007

20 February 2007- New York, NY- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon meets with Prince Willem-Alexander, Prince of Orange, of the Netherlands.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

Pics 18.3.3007

Prince Willem-Alexander during an interview with a TV channel after taking part in a meeting in the framework of the 48th Annual Assembly of Governors of the IDB in Guatemala City, 18 March 2007:

Pic 1
Pic 2

Empress said:
Maxima and Willem Alexander more than Beatrix

I doubt it. Princess Beatrix and Prince Claus have travelled an awful lot between 1966 (year of wedding) and 1980 (year of accession). There were lots of trips to all parts of the world, including loooong trips (which lasted several weeks) to the Soviet Union and to China.

Before her marriage the Princess was very active in Persia (Iran), living for months on an archeological site and helping restructuring a village destroyed by an earthquake. It was rumoured that the young and innocent and unexperienced Princess crushed on a bronze-tanned handsome athletic Israelian shepherd guy. This is a rumour which has always and ever been somewhere in all stories on Beatrix. No one knows the reality of it. It would have been a mésalliance hors categorie: the future Queen of the Netherlands and an Israelian shepherd....

:flowers:

Anyway, it is likely Princess Beatrix and Prince Claus have travelled more than Prince Willem-Alexander and Princess Máxima. But there is still a lot of time left for the couple to compete with mum and dad.

:flowers:

Last edited:
Pics 28.3.2007

The caption of the following pics has been written in Dutch, but the visit seems to have had something to do with water and water treatment :)
Prince Willem-Alexander in Hoorn, Midden-Delfland, 28.3.2007:

Pic 1
Pic 2

There seems to be a new book out about the prince. Could someone briefly translate about what the book is going to be about?
http://www.royalblog.nl/

I am Alexander

Kelly said:
There seems to be a new book out about the prince. Could someone briefly translate about what the book is going to be about?
http://www.royalblog.nl/

The book is called 'Ik ben Alexander' ('I am Alexander').
Click here for the cover

The text on the cover reads in short:

Who is our future King?
Crown Prince Willem-Alexander looks like he is ready for the throne, but a lot has happened before this. There were doubts about his suitability and he himself was not always convinced either in the duties which were unavoidably waiting for him. He lost the right track a couple of times (literally and figurally). The life of the almost 40-years old Prince is laid under a crictical loupe.

His youth on Drakensteyn, his secondary schools, his military service and his studies, all of this will pass the revue. Also his marriage with Princess Máxima and his work as watermanager. Both looks like golden grips for his role as King Willem IV.

Last edited:
Thanks Henri! Too bad the book won't be sold in the USA.

Henri M. said:
The book is called 'Ik ben Alexander' ('I am Alexander').
Click here for the cover

The text on the cover reads in short:

Who is our future King?
Crown Prince Willem-Alexander looks like he is ready for the throne, but a lot has happened before this. There were doubts about his suitability and he himself was not always convinced either in the duties which were unavoidably waiting for him. He lost the right track a couple of times (literally and figurally). The life of the almost 40-years old Prince is laid under a crictical loupe.

His youth on Drakensteyn, his secondary schools, his military service and his studies, all of this will pass the revue. Also his marriage with Princess Máxima and his work as watermanager. Both looks like golden grips for his role as King Willem IV.
what do you think they might imply by him "losing the right track a couple of times"? I know that during his teens, he had a hard time with his parents, according to his own admission, and he spent therefore a number of years in the UK at boarding school. When else is it implied he "lost the right track"? Granted, he looked, seemed a bit, well, aimless during most of his twenties, (even though he accomplished an acceptable amount of stuff then like getting his commercial pilots licence), but is that so unusual?

Crash with his then girlfriend Emily

princess olga said:
what do you think they might imply by him "losing the right track a couple of times"? I know that during his teens, he had a hard time with his parents, according to his own admission, and he spent therefore a number of years in the UK at boarding school. When else is it implied he "lost the right track"? Granted, he looked, seemed a bit, well, aimless during most of his twenties, (even though he accomplished an acceptable amount of stuff then like getting his commercial pilots licence), but is that so unusual?

In Germany the Prince once crashed with his Volvo into a moat, with his then girlfriend Emily Bremers next to him. The Volvo was total loss. The Prince and Emily remained unhurt. That was the literal losing of the right track.

:flowers: Here is a picture of the princely Volvo with a German police-officer next to it.

The Prince had a quite long relationship with Emily Bremers from 1994 until the summer of 1998. She was the Kate Middleton of Prince Willem-Alexander, so to say. After the break-up in 1998 Emily soon disappeared out of the public eye.

In 2002 Ms. Emily Anna Hubertina Maria Bremers LL.M married the Dutch aristocrat Jonkheer Rhoderick Wolter Arnold van der Wyck LL.M with whom she got two sons: Jonkheer Philip Rein Lodewijk van der Wijck and Jonkheer Maurits Rhoderick August van der Wijck.
Here is a picture of Emily and her spouse.

Last edited:
Henri M, thanks for all the information!! :flowers:

Pics 10.4.2007

Crown Prince Willem-Alexander (L) welcomes China's Deputy Prime Minister Hui Liangyu 10 April 2007 prior a meeting in his residence in Wassenaar. Liangyu is on the third day of a four-day visit in The Netherlands. AFP PHOTO/EVERT-JAN DANIELS

Pic 1
Pic 2

I think that during this meeting Maxima already went to the hospital. The prince quickly followed later. He said on television that he has an obliigation tonight as well but he hopes to havce a free weekend.

Marengo said:
I think that during this meeting Maxima already went to the hospital. The prince quickly followed later. He said on television that he has an obliigation tonight as well but he hopes to havce a free weekend.

That must have been very stressful & upsetting not being there when your wife delivers, but it seemed the little one knew when it was time. Glad he was present.:)

Well, he wasnt sure that Maxima delivered yet. She went to the hospital alone as she felt something, but she wasn't sure it was the actual delivery.

12-04-2007 Bunnik Prince Willem Alexander, together with Tineke Huizinga Fort bij Vechten in Bunnik.Fort bij Vechten used to be a line of defence from the former Zuiderzee, Muiden till the Biesbosch and was builed between 1867 till 1870

PPE Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom