Your First Impressions Of Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, the first time I saw Mary was soon after the engagement and I didn't think much of her. My opinion hasn't changed. There's something incredibly artificial about her, she just doesn't come across as genuine alot of the time. Moreover, I've always got the impression that she's more interesting in all the trappings of Royalty and not the poisition itself.

I actually saw Letizia on television when I was on holiday in Spain before the engagement announcement. I thought she was very pretty then and my opinion hasn't changed. Moreover she seems incredibly warm and dedicated to her position as a future Queen. I like the fact that she takes a serious and business-like approach to her role. She doesn't seem to milk it for the perks and to a certain degree that's reflected in the entireSpanish Royal Family.

I knew of Rania before she was Queen, but I really noticed her the day of King Hussein's funeral. I happened to be ill at home so I watched the entire thing on CNN. I was quite interested because I'd read about the whole Noor versus Rania position because of the change in succession. Personally I though she handled the day really well as there was alot of interest in her because she was going to be the future Queen.

I've known about Victoria for a very long time (courtesy of my mother's Hellos') and I really like her. She seems like a very normal individual, a credit to her parents and a woman who will be an excellent future Queen. Her siblings came to my attantion alot later and I think the first I heard of Madeline was on the "Wife for William" programme.

Out of all the British Royals, to a certain degree Camilla is the only one who's made an impact, in that figures like Diana, whilst quite unique, were always there in the limelight so to speak. During Diana's life I was alwyas quite hositle towards Camilla but I think now, my attitude has changed becuase at the end of the day, she's been accpeted byWilliam and Harry, so what business is it of anyone else's?

I only heard of Mette-Marit on her wedding day and that was becuase the press chose to talk about her scandalous past and the fact she already had a child. My initial reaction was, so what? Single mothers are hardly uncommon in this day and age and what right od I have to judge. She and her husband seem incredibly happy and most importantly she seems to have handled alot of the negative press very well. Kudos to her.

I only heard of Maxima and Mathilde when I joined a royal forum. I've always been in mixed minds about Maxima, partly becuase of her father's reputation (but then that's not exactly her fault). Yet on the toher hand she does someties seem to only care about the superficial aspects of Royalty, a complaint often spoken of by my Dutch firends.
I'm not really interested in Mathilde, I find her quite artificial and fake and I can't quite put my finger on the reason. I know she's well-liked on this forum but something about her just grates. Sorry to her fans.

I've alwyas liked Alexandra of Denmark, she seems incredibly down to earth and I was incredibly shocked when her and Joachim split. However, she's handled it all in such a dignified manner and really seems to maintain a close relationship with her in-laws and Denmark itself.

As for the Moroccan Royals I can remember seeing the pictures of Lalla Salma's wedding. She seemed a pleasant individual and I did have high hopes for her as she seems an intelligent woman. But I'm pretty disappointed in her, she hasn't achieved anything substantial and just seems to make appearances when it's prudent to do so. I really do admire her sister-in-laws more in that aspect, especially Lalla Meryem.

Last edited:
The First time I saw Mathilde was the engagement pictures, I thought she looked sweet and shy but the I think I noticed most was her extremely long legs (very superficial:D )

The first picture I saw of Mette-Marit was this which was the first picture ever published of her in the papers
http://www.vg.no/bilder/bildarkiv/946501436.jpg
I remember thinking it would never last since it was known she had a child, and Haakon was still quite young, so I did not pay much attention to her in the beginning and thought her one in the row of Haakons various blond girlfriends.

First picture I saw of Maxima she looke dishelved, was holding a sigarette in one hand and drinking with the other, accompanied with the story of her father so that was pretty much also a "never gonna happen in a million years" kind of thing.

First picture of Mary was the same as Lena posted, i fond her cold and stiff and still do (but no so much as then). But I had a feeling from the beginning that she would be the one considering she was not from Denmark.

Alexandra I first saw when the engagement to Joachim was anounced, she appeared so comfident with the most over the top 80s hairdo and a very short skirt

I was away when it was anounced Felipe got engaged so I first saw and heared about Letizia the day of the official engagement in a short segment at the Norwegian news, after the initial shock (good bye Queen Eva;) ), I though she was very beautiful, comfident and extrovert, something that has been scraped of her a little now unfortunatly.

Mathilde : First time I saw her was at the engagement on tv. She came across as a very beautiful, modest but self assured woman, very much in love with Philippe. I immediately liked her.

Mary: the first picture I saw of her was at th olympics in Syney, she looked very plain and common to me. I thought it woudn't last. When the engagement was anounced I wasn't pleased, but this changed completely when I saw photos and tv images of the engagement. I like her since then.

Máxima: first pictures of her that I saw, she was in bathing suit on a boat with WA. I saw her as vulgar and actually I still do.

Laurentien: at her engagement. I was a bit surprised by the way she looked but I liked her caracter and the things she said very much. A nice woman.

Mabel: at the engagement. I immediately disliked her because of her arrogance. It doesn't really help that she's a M. Thatcher lookalike either.

Letizia: First images I saw were posted here on the forum, of her reading the news. It was disappointing for me because of her job and divorce. I haven't got anything against her now, but she just doesn't interest me. And I still don't see what's she's got that's better than Eva Sannum.

Mette-Marit: First photos I saw in Point de Vue of her walking in Oslo in the streets in that striped jersey :) I liked her, liked the jersey too :) Don't know why, she has the worst past of all (except for Mabel), but maybe because of her honesty and vulnerability at the time.

Alexandra: Discovered her when I started reading point de vue (in 1998), on photos of her and Joachim in Ireland. I was really charmed by the way she looked and her backgroud, I liked her imediately. And it's a great shame that marriage didn't last, it had something fairytale like (but that was far from the truth...).

Victoria: the first picture I saw of her was in the newspaper, a photo of her when she was a bit chubby and another one when she had anorexia. I remember thinking she looked better thinner - I suppose I had no idea what was going on. I'm very glad she was able to surmount her problems and feel good and healthy again.

Claire: I saw her on tv, in a royalty program. She was with Laurent at a gala event. I thought it was just another one of his girlfriends and that it surely woudn't last. I was wrong!

Stephanie: She was first royal which I ever saw on my life:) It was many years ago - early 90s or end of 80s. My father call me to come and see on TV a real princess. Stephanie was singing. She haven't got any crown or long dress and she've got cut hair:eek: I was really surprise aboud her and becouse I don't know that the princesses still exist.:) I was a young girl bout 8 or 10 and I thought that princesses must look like it's wrote in fairy tales.

Sweden.
Victoria: I saw her first time on some newspaper of her 15th birthday (they wrote that one of her birthday gifts was a horse-saddle and there was a photo of her and family). I was impressed that this smily-girl will be a queen some day.:)
Silvia: (first time like above, but I forget about that). On some newspaper in 1993 - article about her birthday. There were her and her family photos, more clarity than year before becouse in colour. She was in blue long dress with white lace and with a tiara - from some Noble Prize gala. I like her for this time until today and her family too. Article talk about the other European royal courts (which I saw many years later) and I was really in shock that they are still exist - kings, queens, princes and princesses.

Mathilde: really nice girl, so young and beautiful with her prince - engged on TV.

Mary: on TV when there were rumours that she could marry Fred, about maybe 2002 or 2003. She goes with Fred on some boat. I don't like her than but now I really like. She is beautiful.

Spanish RF very first time on Elena's wedding on TV and newspapers. I remambered only them. Felipe was so biiiiig; king and queen so great; Cristina it's shame - I thought that she is not beautiful maybe becouse photos which I watched were not good? but I've change my opinion whe I saw her on her own wedding, so nice girl. On Cristina's wedding I saw many other royals first time.

British: I really don't remamber, which is really strange:confused: :confused:

My first impression of the royals...

Victoria: sweet, funny, caring, would make a great queen

Madeleine: fun, pretty, and enjoys life

Mary: didn't understand why people bashed her in the beginning so much, she seems kind and dedicated, the whole "does she love him" debate seems kind of pointless because they're already married with a baby prince! :p

Letizia: pretty, outgoing, and a modern woman

Maxima: nice blonde hair, big smile, sweet

Harry: cute, fun, and caring

Carl Philip: so handsome:D and a good brother

Mathilde: dedicated, caring, and a good mother/wife

William: what's up with his hair:rolleyes: , shy, and caring

when i was in England for my trips and i saw CP Victoria of Sweden in HOLA cover how she was beautiful!

Sara Boyce

I tend to pay the most attention to HGD Guilluame of Luxembourg. I remember the first picture I ever saw of him was of him with Felix when they were really young standing on the balcony waving to the people. Both had their hair slicked back and hadn't grown into their decent size ears yet. And I remember thinking which one is who?:confused: They almost looked like they could be twins in the picture. I can't say my opinion of him has changed much from the first pic I saw. But luckily the year have been very giving to both Guillaume and Felix and they both look different but are equally attractively hott.:cool: :D

encounter

My first encounter with royalty was when we ( my twinsister and I ) where playing at oure grandparents house. There were some boys who wanted to see the little baby rabbits who were born. Oke we said and my grandparents took those boys in and gave them candy. My grandfather looked out of the window and saw a big black car ( maybe a mercedes ) and said to my grandmother " what is that big black car doing in front of oure house. Well, said my grandmother, those boys we have here are the childeren of Princess margriet and mr. Pieter van Vollenhoven. Butt those boys also like candy just like any other "normal" child.:D :D :D My grandparents lived 36 years near the royal family and we met Princess Margriet regulary when the Royal pond was open in the winter and the neighbourhood was aloud to skate on it.:p :p

Mathilde: she seemed a bit bland to me, with impeccable manners and a lot of kindness, but still not very exciting.

Mary: I saw her first at her wedding. I thought she was the perfect fairy princess, so beautiful in that wonderful dress.

Mette-Marit: They showed bits of the press conference on TV, she seemed quite shy and insecure. When I heard about her days as a party girl, I thought, there's more than meets the eye!

h'mm lets sart:

CP Mary: the first picture I saw was in the newspaper a picture of her in the Royal carriage riding from the church to the palace her chin up, seeming to say" Iv'e got it all now" I continued to see her as an ambitious girl untill recently, when I must admit she and Fred really look happy!

CP Mette Marit: I didn't understand what Haakon saw in her, but after following her in the royal forums I can see that she is so natrual, w/o airs and graces, and warm, never pushing her first son on the side, even if it would have been easier, and she seems to have a really stable relationship with the CP, and seems to be doing a good job.

CP Maxima:At first she seemed very vulgar, and ambitious to me, untill recently I can see what the CP saw in her, it's her vivacity and bubblyness which attracted him.

CP Mathilde: At first I thought she was the plainest of the Crown princesses of Europe, and now I see that she is probably the most natrually beautiful.

thats it for now folks.

Mathilde: I first discovered her on her wedding day. i found her beautiful, and smiling, perfect for a new Royal. For what I saw from her since, my opinion hasn't changed.

Maxima: discovered on her wedding. She was radiant, and WA and her seem truly in love. She had a warm smile and seemed to be quite down-to-earth.I think the same now.

Mette-Marit: I was really wondering what would happen when she married CP Haakon. She seems to be more confident now that she was at that time. And I always find her husband very attractive..;) I remember already noticing him at the opening of Lillehammer Olympics!

Letizia: She appeared a bit arrogant during the engagement press conference, so I was a bit dubitative about her. But the commentaries about her being a divorcee had annoyed me:what 's the point? I'm sure the same people who find the divorce thing "unsuitable" for a future queen would have given their blessings to the wedding if Letizia had had dozens of lovers (without marrying them) instead!
Now I admire her as an hard-working Crown Princess

Mary: I also wonder sometimes if she' s a model or a princess. (Her photos sessions in Vogue, etc just after her wedding, plus the Starmakers course she did make me wonder..)But she seems to be a good Crown Princess anyway.

Victoria: First time I heard of her was some years ago when she was very thin because of eating disorder. I felt bad for her. Always been a nice-looknig and hard-working Princess to me. Her brother Carl Philip is the image of the Prince Charming to me...:p

Marie-Chantal: I watched her first time during the Danish royal wedding. I have absolutely no idea of who she was. I just noticed the fake smile she had, and during the whole ceremony she had a snobby look.But then, she was pregnant at that time, so it can explain.

I agree with Marengo about Kate Middleton and Chelsy Davy: the first looking a bit boring, and the second vulgar and IMO a social climber.

Crown Princess Victoria: Not sure where was the first time I saw her. But I knew that I felt her to be be quite beautiful on the outside and then as time passed, I found her to be quite beautiful on the inside as well.

The first time I saw Queen Margrethe was on tv for the Royal Wedding!:eek:
I thought she looked really interesting in her bright pink. It was when she walked into the cathedral with her husband and went right up the front to kiss her sons. My mum said "The Queen of England would never do anything like that" I liked her immediately, I thought she was really cool

When Silvia was presented to the Swedish people for the first time I thought - wonderful, the monarchy is safe.

grevinnan

mary
i did not think she would marry frederik, nethier did i think much of her, but she has grown on me

I liked mette marit from the start saw the interview where she talked about her life i did not see her as a scandal

i first saw máxima on her wedding day. Strange, i thought, she is so fragile, with her thin skin and her dark eyes. Willem-Alexander seems to be really in love, the way he looks at her, as if he won a billion. I thought her skin looks old though, maybe its the light, but maybe she might wither soon. My opinion has changend, i think now she is very lively.

i got to know mathilde only on this forums, i didn't care first, she was boring to me. But she started to grow on me lately.

first time i saw letizia i thought she is a little firm and dry,but pretty.

Princess Diana: I think I was about 7 or so (old enough to read) and I saw her on the cover of a magazine and I was shocked to learn that there were real life princess in the world! I couldn't believe it and I have been fascinated ever since.

Mary: At first I thought that Mary was a little insecure and needed a little more self-confidence. I never thought of her as calculating until I saw some pictures, or was it a video, of her talking with a group of people in a social setting. She seemed more like she knew what she was doing, in control, and I could see how some could get the impression of her being calculating. Maybe the change was a result of her education which is shaping her into a queen. I think she is growing in her role and I hope that she will get to the point where she is truly a people's princess.

Alexandria: I don't remember which picture was the first one I saw of her, but I liked her instantly. Everything about her came across the right way. I don't even know her, but to me she comes across as caring, considerate, helpful, friendly, a hard worker, loves her family, fashionable and glamorous, resourceful, and has everything together and all of her priorities straight. I think someone said that she took to royalty like a fish to water.

Victoria: The first time I heard about her it was in a story about her eating disorder. I don't even remember what picture it was that went along with the story. I do remember being aware that she was a royal that I wanted to keep my eyes on in the future. I hope she can perform her role as queen as well as QEII.

Mette-Marit: When I heard her story, I remember thinking WOW! This is a story that might change royal protocol in the future, and hopefully for the better for the royals so that they can be happier in their personal lives. I was happy for her. Since she had her children, she comes across as very loving and motherly. It is a good quality to see on a future queen.

Kate Middleton: I like her because she is not showy. I think she suits William well as well as being a princess. I hope she is the one for him. I could get used to the idea of her as a princess.

Chelsy Davy: Party girl, perfect for Harry.

Lalla Salma: My husband is Moroccan and pays attention to their royal family. When the King married her, I remember learning a lot about her. She was a software engineer, had lovely red hair, was the first Moroccian royal wife to be given a royal title (Princess)[before only princesses that were born royal were given that title], that she put her foot down before they were married and said she would be his only wife, and that her parents were lower middle class. On another note, the current King went to my husband's cousin's wedding when he was still a Prince. It was in 1989.

Last edited:
I think that we can't really say much about the personality of the person in a picture but still we have our own opinions

mary: I felt that she was really unsure and shy but the more I know here she seems down to earth and nice. I guess, she seems assertive and is her own person. she seems to make fred really happy.

maxima: very south american....extrovert..has so much passion in life

letizia: I feel that she is not letting people know who she really is, it seems to me that she is putting up a wall between her and the people...she seems really serious

I first saw the Queen on tv when I was 5 years old. I was told she lived in a far away land in a castle. I thought that was neat.

I was told by my grandmother that after World War I a lot of royal housholds no longer had political power. After World War II some of them were kicked off their thrones.

When I got older, I became more interested in royalty.

My first opinion of Diana was I was really not that impressed with her. It seems like she was too young to marry as she's a year older than me and I could hardly have imagined at that age getting married. I didn't think it would be a happy marriage, sad to say because it was too good to be true almost, which it turned out to be.

I liked Sarah right away and believed she would have a happy marriage. This of course wasn't to be. Unlike Diana and Charles, this couple seemed to really be in love with each other.

I felt sorry for Mette because people gave her a very hard time. Sometimes people still do as evident whenever commoner being bad is mentioned, her name usually comes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom