Your Favourite Royal Eyes

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here are the precious eyes of princess Letizia: they are dark green with a little brown-honey around the pupil….

(Gettyimages)

Last edited:
It seems like there are hardly any royals with brown eyes just fair eyes except for the Arab Roayls.

Lucia Rose said:
It seems like there are hardly any royals with brown eyes just fair eyes except for the Arab Roayls.

Well, that's logical if you take into consideration the fact that they are all related and their gene pool is very strong:cool:;)

norwegianne said:
Danish Royals:
Crown Prince Frederik: Blue
Crown Princess Mary: Brown
Forgive my ignorance, but I'll dare to ask here one thing that has been intriguing me for a while... I've read that when one of the parents has brown eyes, that colour prevails over the blue or green of the other parent, so the baby would always take brown eyes as well. But since Christian has taken his father's blue eyes, I'm assuming that "theory" is wrong...

I know nothing of genetics, so I was wondering if anybody could bring some light over it. Thanks in advance:blush:

No it is wrong... My mom has brown eyes for example, but one of her parents had brown and one had blue. Thats why my sister could get blue eyes, she inherited the blue gene of my mom and the blue gen of my dad. I have brown eyes, one blue gen of my dad, one brown of my mom, the brown gen is dominant.My kids therefore could have blue eyes, when I marry a blue-eyed man though I have brown eyes.
It is the same with Mary and Christian, and also with Sverre(blue) and Haakon (brown), but Haakons Dad had blue eyes.
And Ingrid has brown eyes!
Ok, Ii sounds a little confusing, so did That make sense or did I get lost?

What about Princess Margriet, Pieter van Vollenhoven, their sons, daughters-in-law and grandchildren??

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsa M. said:
Forgive my ignorance, but I'll dare to ask here one thing that has been intriguing me for a while... I've read that when one of the parents has brown eyes, that colour prevails over the blue or green of the other
I once heard this explanation: the brown gene prevails when there are no people with blue or green eyes in that family, if a mixed couple has children with blue eyes that means there was some blue gene in any generation of the brown eyed family(grand, great-grand, great-greatgrandparent, etc.):flowers:

Lauritas138 said:
Here are the precious eyes of princess Letizia: they are dark green with a little brown-honey around the pupil….

(Gettyimages)

wow.. beautiful!

Maurits: he has light eyes, but it`s hard to decide if they are blue or grey
Marilene: brown
Anna, Lucas and Felicia: brown, they all seem to inherite their mother`s eye colour

And eys, I belong to those who love CP Felipe`s blue eyes. I`m glad that Leonor has the same beautiful colour:wub: .

Latizia has the same color eyes I do and we have always called them hazel-brown around the pupil and green on the outside or rim of the eyes.

Last edited:
crisiñaki said:
Does Countess Eloise REALLY have brown eyes? I think it's unlikely because her parents and grandparents all have light eyes (blue, green) so...:confused:
Geneticly when parents have BLUE eyes their children can only have blue eyes, (unlike brown eyed parents who can have blue eyed children because of reccesive genes) I think in the case of Eloise, her mom has Green eyes, and that changes the picture because green eyed people many times have brown eyed genes

Elsa M. said:
Forgive my ignorance, but I'll dare to ask here one thing that has been intriguing me for a while... I've read that when one of the parents has brown eyes, that colour prevails over the blue or green of the other parent, so the baby would always take brown eyes as well. But since Christian has taken his father's blue eyes, I'm assuming that "theory" is wrong...

I know nothing of genetics, so I was wondering if anybody could bring some light over it. Thanks in advance:blush:
Everyone has 2 genes for their eye colour.(one from their mother and one from their father) Pure Blue eyed people have 2 blue genes, Someone who has brown eyes must have a brown gene, and can also have a blue gene received from generations earlier.(most likely a grandparent)
So, for a brown eyed parent to have kids with blue eyes, he/she must have in their genetic makeup a recessive gene of blue eyes, most probably from a parent or even passed down from generations before!
So CPMary had in her genetic makeup a blue eyed gene, so when Prince Christian was conceived he took a blue gene from Fred and a Reccesive blue gene from Mary, hence he has blue eyes. if a child in this case takes the brown gene from the brown eyed parent, his eyes will be Brown as Brown is always the dominant Gene! Persoanlly speaking, my husband has Green hazel eyes, I have Dark brown "Spanish" eyes, both grandpops have blue eyes, so 2 of our children have blue and the other has hazel green\grey!
Green, Grey and hazel eyes, are already more complexed, hence Queen Sonja
has green, King Harald has blue, Haakon has Brown, I think the green has a brwon gene in it, same go's to Countess Eloise who's mom has grey green and dad has blue!

rosana said:
I once heard this explanation: the brown gene prevails when there are no people with blue or green eyes in that family, if a mixed couple has children with blue eyes that means there was some blue gene in any generation of the brown eyed family(grand, great-grand, great-greatgrandparent, etc.):flowers:

It depends... for example: Máxima has brown eyes and Alexander green/blue, and Amalia and Alexia have both brown eyes:)

Princess Maxima said:
It depends... for example: Máxima has brown eyes and Alexander green/blue, and Amalia and Alexia have both brown eyes:)

Quite right, they both took the brown gene from Maxima and the blue from WA, and as brown dominates blue they have brown eyes, but carry a reccesive blue eyed gene... so in the future generation there will be a possibility of blue eyes

Oh, thank you very much, for the explanation! This is so fascinating as confusing, but now it makes sense to me!

Thank you, Auntie! :)

auntie said:
Green, Grey and hazel eyes, are already more complexed, hence Queen Sonja has green, King Harald has blue, Haakon has Brown, I think the green has a brwon gene in it, same go's to Countess Eloise who's mom has grey green and dad has blue!

If I remember high school biology correctly, green eyes are created by a mutated brown eye gene. I don't know why that stayed in my memory, but it did.:ermm: I don't even remember learning about hazel eyes. Must have been day dreaming that day.:rolleyes:

Ok, then thanks for the info:flowers: all the van Vollenhoven sons have blue eyes as Princess Margriet and Pieter have blue eyes (correct me if wrong). Are Princess Annette (sometimes seem blue/sometimes green to me) and her kids' eyes blue? And what color were Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard's? And I suppose that little Emma's eyes are brown, like her mothers?

I was searching and I found this pics:
http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/dsc?s=obj&c=getobject&objectid=10280&getastype=org&!dsname=minazkh
http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/dsc?s=obj&c=getobject&objectid=10278&getastype=org&!dsname=minazkh
Is it me or taking a close look, Aimée's eyes look grey??

Last edited by a moderator:
Anita said:
I agree with you . Everyone say Queen Sonja has brown eyes but I've always seen them as being green or hazel-green or even sometimes blue-grey but never definitely brown :confused: In fact she has strange and changing eyes but very beautiful indeed, especially the shape .:)
I agree.
Her eyes look brown-green here and also in this picture while they look brown in this picture for example. ;)

Swedish Royal Family
Carl Gustaf: Blue
Silvia: Brown
Victoria: Brown
Carl Philip: Brown
Madeleine: Blue

The pupil of your eye is made of several layers, each layer can contain melanine, which is actually tinting the eye (as well as in a different way the skin). Depending on how much melanine the body produces and how many layers of the pupil are tinted the eye appears blue (colour only in the first layer, the lighter, the lesser melanine) to almost black (a lot of melanine in all layers).
As caucasian babies are born with almost a lack of melanine, their eyes appear "baby blue", the melanine production starts around birth, and reaches its full maturity at around 9 months. That is why caucasian babies can change their eye-colour in their first months.
Approx, how much melanine your body produces and in which layers the melanine settles, is genetically set. However, there are variations. And so blue eyed parents can have a more greyish or even greenish child. A lighter brown parent can have a child with greenish eyes.
Two grey or blue eyed light eyed parents however can not produce a dark brown eyed child (not without a melanine mutation)
Different coloured eyes are not the result of different eyes of the parents or undecided genes, but a mistake in the melanine production: for ex: a light blue eye and a dark brown eye in a family of brown eyes most likely doesn't stem from a recessive gene, but an albino like melanine production in one pupil.

Regardless of the eye color, the most important thing is that people can see!!!! Also, how can Letizia have green eyes, when her parents/grandparents are dark hair and dark eye?

Roxsteve said:
Also, how can Letizia have green eyes, when her parents/grandparents are dark hair and dark eye?
Color contacts maybe?

Roxsteve said:
Regardless of the eye color, the most important thing is that people can see!!!! Also, how can Letizia have green eyes, when her parents/grandparents are dark hair and dark eye?
She does have green eyes. You forgot she was a blond baby. Felipe was a blond and blue eyed baby too. Now he's dark-haired but still blue-eyed.

You can tell when it's contact lenses, even in a picture.

She's defenitely not wearing any, her eyes are green.

Back
Top Bottom