Would They Have Married?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I´m sure that Daniel would have married Victoria, even though she wasn´t a crown princess. Many swedish court experts and Daniel´s friends have said that when Victoria first game to the gym, Daniel wasn´t at all impressed of that she was a crown princess, he wasn´t at all impressed of royals. He just wanted to do his business very well and give Victoria a peaceful place to train in private. Daniel has also told that his family has never been a keen follower of the life of the royal family.
Victoria and Daniel have loved eachother for eight and a half years. I think that if he was a gold digger, he would have wanted to marry a lot sooner and would have used his publicity to promote his businesses. Daniel has kept a very low profile during their whole relationship and has given no interviews regarding his relationship to Victoria or to the royal family. He has wanted to adapt to his royal role and learn as much as possible before the wedding.
To Daniel Victoria has always been his girlfriend (and now wife), not a crown princess. And in their wedding you could so clearly see, that Daniel loves Victoria with whole his heart, he had tears in his eyes when he saw Victoria enter the church and he cried almost during the whole wedding. I had a feeling that Daniel was afraid to the last point that something would happen and he would not have Victoria as his wife. The woman he loves more than anything. When the archbishop said: You are now man and wife, you could see the happiness in Daniel´s face. And the loving and emotional speech to Victoria said it all.
I also think that Daniel has hoped many times during their relationship, that Victoria wasn´t a crown princess. His life would have been much easier then.

If money was the object, I think they could have found richer men in their own countries instead of moving across the world, giving up your privacy etc.

It seems tom me that it is the CPs that are lucky here. I don't think that either of these women would marry for ANYthing but love. They can take care of themselves

Its not about money but attention. Marrying into royalty doensnt only guarantee a lifelong luxury life but also a lifelong attention, being famous with the impression of being important.

I especially see Mary and Maxima enjoying this part of the deal what makes me think that especially these two wouldnt have married their husbands without the package. Letizia is into attention too but since she isnt given a similar platform to implement a profile of her own and the Spanish court cut back her personality she looks rather uncomfortable in her role - big misjudgement from that respect. Although I think that Letizia married Felipe partly for the guaranteed professional carreer opportunity he offered I doubt she would marry Felipe again, knowing what would happen to her life.

Daniel and Victoria (if she wasn't the crown princess) YES, he married her DESPITE being a CP, same goes for MM and Haakon

The old generation mainly didnt have a choice, it was expected to marry into royalty / nobility. The only love matches out of the older generation for me are Claus and Beatrix and Sonja and Harald.

Henrik and Margrethe (if she wasn't the crown princess) I dont think so
Philip and Elizabeth (if she wasn't the heiress apparent) I dont think so
Constantine and Anne-Marie (if she wasn't a Danish princess) NEVER EVER
Juan Carlos and Sofia (if she wasn't a Greek princess) NEVER EVER

Pavlos and Marie Chantal (if she wasn't as wealthy as she is) NEVER EVER
Ranier and Grace (is she hadn't been an actress) NEVER
Antony and Margaret (if she wasn't the Queen's sister) NEVER

Daniel and Victoria (if she wasn't the crown princess) = Yes more than certainly.

Henrik and Margrethe (if she wasn't the crown princess) = I think so.

Philip and Elizabeth (if she wasn't the heiress apparent) = Yes, indeed.

Constantine and Anne-Marie (if she wasn't a Danish princess) = Yes, because Constantine didn't gain anything by the marriage, just a loving wife.

Juan Carlos and Sofia (if she wasn't a Greek princess) = Yes because JC didn't gain anything by marrying a non-reigning princess.

Pavlos and Marie Chantal (if she wasn't as wealthy as she is) = Yes, Pavlos didn't gain anything from MC's money did he?

Ranier and Grace (is she hadn't been an actress) = Most definetly, it was Grace who gained from this marriage.

Antony and Margaret (if she wasn't the Queen's sister) = I don't know a lot about this couple.

^ didnt the king of greece ask MC for a $200 million dowry?

Never heard that, and why would he?
The father of the groom asking for money is a bit weird, at least like I said it wasn't Pavlos who asked her for it.

Here's my two sense:

Daniel and Victoria (if she wasn't the crown princess) Absolutely!

Henrik and Margrethe (if she wasn't the crown princess) I think so because Henrik could have had a much simpler life and he was already from a noble family so I think he would have married Margrethe anyway.

Philip and Elizabeth (if she wasn't the heiress apparent) I wish I could say that he would have married her anyway, but I really doubt it.

Constantine and Anne-Marie (if she wasn't a Danish princess) I one heard Constantine say in an interview that when he asked The Danish King for Princess Anne-Marie hand in marriage the King locked him in a bathroom until he could figure out what to do with him! Anyway, I think the would have married where she was a Princess or not.

Juan Carlos and Sofia (if she wasn't a Greek princess) They had a lot to overcome with thier marriage (like finding a common language), but I think that they did marry for love, you can see it looking at early photographs.

Pavlos and Marie Chantal (if she wasn't as wealthy as she is) I don't think he would have married her. He (and his family) did have a lot to gain by marry someone with such wealth.

Ranier and Grace (is she hadn't been an actress) I have to disagree with the fact that Lumutqueen said that it was Grace who gained from this marriage, hardly. She gave up a career and a life that she could never get back and in some photos after her marriage she did look sometimes depressed. It was Ranier who gained from this marriage. He knew what he was doing. Look at all the renewed interest in Monaco after Grace. We wouldn't be talking about Prince Albet's engagement over here if is mother had not been one of the greatest American actresses of all time.

Antony and Margaret (if she wasn't the Queen's sister) I don't think he would have married her if it wasn't for the fact that her sister was Queen.

Inaki and Cristina (if she wasn't the King's daughter) I think he would have married her no matter what!

Jaime and Elena (if she wasn't the King's daughter) I don't think he would have bothered.

Never heard that, and why would he?
The father of the groom asking for money is a bit weird, at least like I said it wasn't Pavlos who asked her for it.

Dowries were quite common in earlier royal marriages, though the one with the Greek Royal Family would be the most modern one, as I don't believe that the other present monarchs had dowries involved with thier marriages. There might have been one in Spain, but I doubt it .

Juan Carlos and Sofia (if she wasn't a Greek princess) = Yes because JC didn't gain anything by marrying a non-reigning princess.
This is where you are mistaken, at the time of the wedding, Sofia was a princess of a stable monarchy and Juan Carlos a prince of a not so stable one, with Franko breathing down their necks constantly, so it took alot of love from Sofia's part to marry him, and heck, I don't think he would have married her had she not been the daughter and sister of a king.

I was going to say they married in 1995.

Why don't you think Mary, Maxima and Charlene wouldn't marry their husbands if they weren't princes???

If money was the object, I think they could have found richer men in their own countries instead of moving across the world, giving up your privacy etc.

It seems tom me that it is the CPs that are lucky here. I don't think that either of these women would marry for ANYthing but love. They can take care of themselves
How many of us have the oppurntunity to meet and attract a millionar in our own circles, so when a royal is attracted to us we should all grab the oppurtunity no? The chance of having never ending respect and attention is a pull heh?

This is where you are mistaken, at the time of the wedding, Sofia was a princess of a stable monarchy and Juan Carlos a prince of a not so stable one, with Franko breathing down their necks constantly, so it took alot of love from Sofia's part to marry him, and heck, I don't think he would have married her had she not been the daughter and sister of a king.

Both JC and Sofia are old school royals who, until this very day, look ahead and put monarchy first. Both parents and Franco wanted a royal - royal marriage.
JC and Sofia are kind of business partners with a common aim - keeping the Spanish throne. JC certainly respects Sofia for doing a terrific job but I doubt it was ever love. Even in Spain it is no secret that the marriage is unhappy and Sofia is lucky that JCs love life has been treated discreetly by the media. They have been leeding separate lives for years but are a professional team for Spain.

Philip and Elizabeth (if she wasn't the heiress apparent) I wish I could say that he would have married her anyway, but I really doubt it.

I think QEII married for love, not sure about Philip. He also is an old school royal, love didnt matter that much. They are a terrific professional team for Britain and have grown together, even at this age the unity is very visible.

I think QEII married for love, not sure about Philip. He also is an old school royal, love didnt matter that much. They are a terrific professional team for Britain and have grown together, even at this age the unity is very visible.

Honestly, I think she would have married him if he were a garbage man or a plumber. But since we are talking the other way around, if it was a love match on his part, it wasn't very evident.

Daniel and Victoria (if she wasn't the crown princess) YES, he married her DESPITE being a CP, same goes for MM and Haakon

The old generation mainly didnt have a choice, it was expected to marry into royalty / nobility. The only love matches out of the older generation for me are Claus and Beatrix and Sonja and Harald.

Henrik and Margrethe (if she wasn't the crown princess) I dont think so
Philip and Elizabeth (if she wasn't the heiress apparent) I dont think so
Constantine and Anne-Marie (if she wasn't a Danish princess) NEVER EVER
Juan Carlos and Sofia (if she wasn't a Greek princess) NEVER EVER

Pavlos and Marie Chantal (if she wasn't as wealthy as she is) NEVER EVER
Ranier and Grace (is she hadn't been an actress) NEVER
Antony and Margaret (if she wasn't the Queen's sister) NEVER
Wow! I sure do agree 100% with all the ones that you have mentioned. Not that they didn't develope feelings later in marriage {at least some--others found their "kicks" elsewhere} but I believe that you are right on in the above assessments.

I disagree wtih some of them.

I think Anthony married Margaret despite her being a Princess. He never wanted any of that.

I also think Constantine and Anne Marie were in love. He wanted to marry her when she was 16...who does that? And I heard the same story. Apparently Frederick and Ingrid were not too happy that a grown man came to them and told them that he loved and wanted to marry their daughter and I can't say I blame them. What did he get by marrying her? He married her and still lost his throne.

Definitely Elizabeth was more in love with Phillip than vice versa. I am sure he loves her, but Dickie definitely saw the prize in that. I am also sure the stability of a family life was something that appealed to Phillip as well.

I think Sofia and JC marriage was definitely an illusion although I believe that they care for each other. We have Franco to thank for that. He saw the benefits of marrying an uncertain prince without a throne to the daughter and sister of a King.

Also, for the record Grace is not considered to be one of the greatest American actress of all time. She was certainly a good actress but not the greatest! I would hardly put her in the same category as say a Meryl Streep, Bette Davis or a Kathrine Hepburn.

Last edited:
Here's my interpretation of the relationships:

Daniel and Victoria (if she wasn't the crown princess) - their relationship started off as a friendship and I imagine that at the beginning Daniel couldn't have imagined he would ever marry her. I think after a very short period of time that Daniel would have seen Victoria for herself and will have quickly put aside the fact that she was a princess.

Henrik and Margrethe (if she wasn't the crown princess) - This is certainly a love match and as a diplomat I think Henrik will have seen high profile people as a normality and not be swayed by the glamour of royalty. However, I do think he likes his position and seems to be quite protective of it given the trouble a few years back when he stormed off to France!

Philip and Elizabeth (if she wasn't the heiress apparent) - I'm really not sure about this one because I've always had the impression that Elizabeth was more bowled over by Philip than the other way round. So for me it's any guess.

Constantine and Anne-Marie (if she wasn't a Danish princess) - Constantine was immediately madly in love with Anne-Marie and I think even if she had been a commoner he would have married her.

Juan Carlos and Sofia (if she wasn't a Greek princess) - Again it's a love match for me and I think they had more in common with each other than one would think.

Pavlos and Marie Chantal (if she wasn't as wealthy as she is) - I don't think Pavlos would have gone for the money at all - she has an unusual beauty about her and he will have fallen for her whether rich or poor!

Ranier and Grace (is she hadn't been an actress) - Who couldn't have been enchanted by Grace's utter beauty and strength of character. She almost went home because he was late for her meeting and I'm sure she was a challenge for him.

Antony and Margaret (if she wasn't the Queen's sister) - Margaret was rebellious, arty and had a certain hippy side to her and for Antony she will have been a challenge princess or not.

I

Also, for the record Grace is not considered to be one of the greatest American actress of all time. She was certainly a good actress but not the greatest! I would hardly put her in the same category as say a Meryl Streep, Bette Davis or a Kathrine Hepburn.

The American Film Institute named her the 13th greatest actress of all time. That's pretty great being that Streep didn't even make the top 20. In other words, she gave a lot up, and paid a heavy price, but Ranier certainly gained a lot by marrying somebody with such notoriety.

With all due respect to the American Film Insitute but that lists means nothing.

There is no way that Grace Kelly is a better actress than Meryl Streep. That assumption proves my point.

ETA: And for the record, Grace Kelly is ranked as 13th on AFI's top female stars which is an accurate description. They did a ranking of the 100 top Screen Legends. All stars are not actresses and not all actresses are stars.

This is the definition they used:

The American Film Institute defined an "American screen legend" as an actor or a team of actors with a significant screen presence in American feature-length (40 min) films whose screen debut occurred in or before 1950, or whose screen debut occurred after 1950 but whose death has marked a completed body of work.

But thats off topic.

Last edited:
Philip and Elizabeth (if she wasn't the heiress apparent): I think he wouldn't have married her, he wanted a secure and high profile position.

Constantine and Anne-Marie (if she wasn't a Danish princess): he wouldn't have married her if she wasn't a princess, but he did choose her between all european princess. There was some type of love there.

Juan Carlos and Sofia (if she wasn't a Greek princess): a completely arranged marriage, Franco choosed Sofia, because her family was on the throne, Sofia said yes becuase she wanted to become crown princess.

Ranier and Grace (is she hadn't been an actress): probably there was love or fascination, but if she wasn't the icon she was (I mean if she was a less known actress) he wouldn't ask her hand; Ranier and Monaco gained a lot of media attention with this marriage, so it was also a good political move.

Ranier and Grace (is she hadn't been an actress): I also think Ranier was the one with the most to gain. And most men, especially of that generation, would marry Grace for her beauty alone because she was the perfect trophy.

I think that's one of the main points, Rainier married her so he could show her off as his trophy, he may have grown to love her afterwards.

Ranier and Grace (is she hadn't been an actress): I also think Ranier was the one with the most to gain. And most men, especially of that generation, would marry Grace for her beauty alone because she was the perfect trophy.

I think both benefitted from each other - Rainier got his trophy and attention magnet for Monaco and she got her title. America doesnt have royalty therefore for Grace becoming a princess in Europe (even though "only" in Monaco) was transferring her into the ultimate icon. She may have been top actress of the time but Rainier guaranteed lifelong status and attention. She avoided the downfall in Hollywood that most likely would have come with age and her not so suitable way of life (affairs with film partners, some were married) became more or less a non-topic. As Holy Grace with marriage she became untouchable. I think with years passing by they kind of loved each other in the end.

^I would not disagree with your assessment. However, on the subject of her not so suitable way of life, Spencer Tracey and Warren Beatty did not seem to have any problem, but that's a whole other story.

I think she made the choice, as you say, to get the title, but in later years she lived with a little regret. And I agree Rainier and Grace learned to love each other over time. Life is not a fairytale even for princesses I'm afraid.

The American Film Institute named her the 13th greatest actress of all time. That's pretty great being that Streep didn't even make the top 20.
To have qualified for that list, the actor had to have made his film debut before 1950 or had died already. Thus many great actors whom we know today (Meryl Streep, Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts, Robert DeNiro, etc) weren't on the list and weren't intended to be.

Daniel and Victoria (if she wasn't the crown princess): YES
[But Daniel (and MM) marrying DESPITE the royal title: NEVER EVER :ROFLMAO:]

Henrik and Margrethe (if she wasn't the crown princess): YES
[The same goes for Claus and Beatrix]

Philip and Elizabeth (if she wasn't the heiress apparent): NO

Constantine and Anne-Marie (if she wasn't a Danish princess): NO (but I think it was also a love match)

Juan Carlos and Sofia (if she wasn't a Greek princess): NO

Pavlos and Marie Chantal (if she wasn't as wealthy as she is): Not sure (there were more wealthy women in the world and they have 5 kids)

Ranier and Grace (if she hadn't been an actress): If she hadn't been famous and beautiful: NO (but I think he could have done without the "actress")

Antony and Margaret (if she wasn't the Queen's sister): Not sure but tend to NO (she was spoiled)

Last edited by a moderator:
To have qualified for that list, the actor had to have made his film debut before 1950 or had died already. Thus many great actors whom we know today (Meryl Streep, Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts, Robert DeNiro, etc) weren't on the list and weren't intended to be.
This is really off topic, but that stuff is very subjective anyway. I could never regard Julia Roberts as good actress, let alone a great one. I agree with your other choices, however.

Constantine and Anne-Marie (if she wasn't a Danish princess): NO (but I think it was also a love match)

I'm glad you expressed this opinion. Constantine and Anne-Marie married four years before King Harald V threw tradition out the window and married a commoner. He might have wanted to marry her, but being able to marry a non-royal is another thing all together.

I think that with Pavlos and Marie-Chantal, its a case of that their circumstances led them to meet and realize that they were a good match. If he wasn't a prince, and if she wasn't an heiress they never would have met.

Elizabeth would have wanted to marry Philip even if her uncle was still king with or without heirs, and I think that Philip does love her but hes not the most demonstrative of people, so its hard to get a read.

Philip and Elizabeth (if she wasn't the heiress apparent): I think he wouldn't have married her, he wanted a secure and high profile position.
I honestly think that there were other factors like the fact that she was from a war stable family with financial security, and part of a reigning monarchy, he probably would have married her had she been "only" Princess E of York

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom