The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-20-2006, 03:44 PM
Courtier

I don't think Queen Noor would have married King Hussein if he were not the king. Sorry to say this because I really like Noor.

Mary would have married Frederik even if he were not a prince simply because he was so taken with her. She would have been overcome with his feelings for her and that's plenty to make you fall in love with a guy, which she did.

Haakon and Mette Marit were made for each other. I'm not her biggest fan but for the CP to marry her and stand by her makes him a great catch whether he is a prince or not. Him being CP was the biggest obstacle to their marriage.

Felipe: any woman who he asked to marry him would have married him.

Maxima and W-A also seem well matched despite their different backgrounds. I think Max would have married W-A regardless if he was a prince. Those two have fireworks!

Claire and Laurent look mis-matched but they seem happy; Mabel was definately attracted to Friso's title, not saying that's a bad thing or maybe it is; Diana would not have married Charles if he were an average citizen; and Sarah Ferguson would have probably been attracted to Andrew even if he were not a prince (that guy is cat nip), but if Andrew were not a prince he would've already been married to Koo Stark. Still I think Sarah got caught up in the royal trappings and self destructed.

Old 11-20-2006, 05:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Very strange which is support by so subjective opinions ( I tell that for me too) If I can think that felipe and Letizia married them by love because I have analysed their life since the "peticion del mano" I have some difficulties to understand how we can said that such Crowprincess or princess, countess and so on, that I know only by very criticable press aticles, married them because the statut of their husband.

It's an audacious value judgement.

Old 11-20-2006, 06:04 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelaide
Very strange which is support by so subjective opinions ( I tell that for me too) If I can think that felipe and Letizia married them by love because I have analysed their life since the "peticion del mano" I have some difficulties to understand how we can said that such Crowprincess or princess, countess and so on, that I know only by very criticable press aticles, married them because the statut of their husband.

It's an audacious value judgement.
But that´s what forums, particularly these chit chat ones are for...to see what people think....doesn´t mean anyone is right or everyone is wrong...I find it really interesting to read what people think and their interpretations of events...so, I´ll add my two cents...I think Letizia and Felipe would have married regardless, as they really seem to have a "meeting of minds" - you can imagine them talking and discussing things into the small hours...also, even though I´m not a major fan of Mary - I think her and Fred would have stayed together as they have similar interests and Fred is besotted with her - and like someone wrote, that can be very persuasive
Old 11-20-2006, 08:16 PM
Courtier
Picture of the Month Representative - The Netherlands

Married for Love:Máxima, Mette-Marit, Mary, Camilla, Mathilde

Married for titel: Letizia, Mabel, Marie-Chantal
Old 11-20-2006, 08:25 PM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative – Spain

Who wouldn't have married Felipe?? Even if he wasn't a Prince I would've married him!!
Old 11-20-2006, 08:30 PM
Courtier
Picture of the Month Representative - The Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari_*
Who wouldn't have married Felipe?? Even if he wasn't a Prince I would've married him!!
Really? I wouldn't
Old 11-20-2006, 09:05 PM
Aristocracy

In my opinon,Being a princess is unresistable desire so I think every royal marriage would be affected by that.If you take Mary as an example, if she liked frederick about 70% ,would she agree to move to Denmark for him if he wasn't a prince? I realy dout.You can say the same for the others,Letizia wouldn't sacrifise her career if Felipe was a normal person,also Maxima,Matilde even Mette Merit "she had nothing to sacrifise".
Old 11-20-2006, 10:56 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Two things:

1) Sofia and Anne-Marie didn't need to marry for status-they were already princesses! Sofia was a princess of Greece, sister of King Constantine. Anne-Marie was a princess of Denmark, younger (3rd?) sister of Queen Margrethe. They were, and would always be, princesses.

2) Please say why you think so-and-so married for love or for status. That way I know why, or so there is a reason, not just a bunch of lists, because that gets us no where.

Old 11-20-2006, 11:07 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by asma
In my opinon,Being a princess is unresistable desire so I think every royal marriage would be affected by that.If you take Mary as an example, if she liked frederick about 70% ,would she agree to move to Denmark for him if he wasn't a prince? I realy dout.You can say the same for the others,Letizia wouldn't sacrifise her career if Felipe was a normal person,also Maxima,Matilde even Mette Merit "she had nothing to sacrifise".
Then again, if Letizia had married anyone besides Felipe, she wouldn't have needed to give up her career. I think she was in a similar situation like Masako of Japan, very young, ambitious, successful women who had to give up promising careers to become crown princesses. Luckily for Letizia, she seems have (so far) escaped Masako's fate.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge
Then again, if Letizia had married anyone besides Felipe, she wouldn't have needed to give up her career. I think she was in a similar situation like Masako of Japan, very young, ambitious, successful women who had to give up promising careers to become crown princesses. Luckily for Letizia, she seems have (so far) escaped Masako's fate.
I agree, I find it odd that people think Letizia doesn't love Felipe as like Masako, she had the most to lose. Her career was incredibly succesful and she is obviously ambitious. Giving up something she spent her whole life working for must have been a very tough decision.

Moreover I find it a contradiction that people believe she married for the title as she's usually portrayed as being a left-wing, anti-Monarchist!
Old 11-21-2006, 03:14 PM
Commoner

married for love: Queen Silvia, Beatrix, Sonja, Margrethe, CP Maxima, CP Mette-Marit, CP Mary, Camilla

married for status: Mabel, Marie-Chantal, Clothilde (sp.)
Old 11-21-2006, 03:36 PM
Nobility

I dont understand why people think Marie-Chantal married for 'status'

Shes richer than all of the Greek Royal Family put together and was brought up in a wealthy family, got educated in good school etc, and Prince Pavlos is a gorgeous young Prince its no wonder she fell for him !!
Old 11-21-2006, 05:26 PM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative – Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nad25

Shes richer than all of the Greek Royal Family put together and was brought up in a wealthy family, got educated in good school etc, and Prince Pavlos is a gorgeous young Prince its no wonder she fell for him !!
Yes I've read she's millionaire
Old 11-21-2006, 05:59 PM
Royal Highness

I'm not sure Mathilde would have married Philippe if he had not been a prince. I believe she wouldn't have if he had been a commoner. She's from a noble family, where one does marry into nobility. Her sister Elisabeth married a markgraf Pallavicini (after having dated a prince d'Orléans) and her sister Hélène is reportedly dating a prinz von und zu Liechstentein. So I wondered a lot.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:29 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie
There is something I have always wondered, which of the Princesses, CPrincesses, Queen's etc. would have married their husband it they were for instance consruction workers or even missle class?! Please explain.
None of them.

But let me say, that I would marry Prince Carl-Philip even if he were the cable guy.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:47 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge
What I want to say is if Felipe was a normal person in a position such as a diplomatic man transferring from one country to another and asked her to give up her career,would she accept?I personally don't think so.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nad25

But "Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece" sounds really nice.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:29 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK
1) Sofia and Anne-Marie didn't need to marry for status-they were already princesses! Sofia was a princess of Greece, sister of King Constantine. Anne-Marie was a princess of Denmark, younger (3rd?) sister of Queen Margrethe. They were, and would always be, princesses.
I think Anne-Marie fell in love with Constantine but I also think she grew up with the expectation that she would marry a prince so she didn't look outside the narrow ranges of titled and royal persons for her future husband. Her mother after all had been a princess who had married a crown prince so it probably seemed very natural to her. I don't see it as seeking status (as you say she was already a princess) but more a pattern of behavior similar to the way a middle class university-educated girl with a father in the learned professions might expect to marry a similarly educated professional that circulates in her social circles.

I think children have a way of sensing what their families expect of them and not all children rebel; they just deliver on the expectations because it makes sense to them.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 11-21-2006, 11:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Maxima
Really? I wouldn't
me either, he's too...him, for my taste
and besides, I'm taken :wink:
Old 11-22-2006, 01:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Maxima
Married for Love:Máxima, Mette-Marit, Mary, Camilla, Mathilde

Married for titel: Letizia, Mabel, Marie-Chantal
I would agree with everything except for Letizia, and possibly even Mabel, as they both had to go through hell to get married. Letizia having been married before and Mabel with the whole gangster thing.

Although, I do believe that mabel liked the title as well

Tags
kate middleton, kate middleton wedding, prince philip, prince william, queen elizabeth