The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-12-2006, 11:44 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003
If she was just calculating, she would not have been so upset and miserable about Charles cheeting her. A calculating woman does not care about being cheated, she stays married and keeps the title and honour
As has been pointed out before, Diana "fell in love" with the idea of Charles and becoming a princess, which is an emotional process and something she probably didn't analyze too closely or thoughtfully. This is something different than cold-blooded calculation where you are very much aware of WHAT you want WHY and What you are going to do to get it.

Old 01-12-2006, 06:48 PM
Courtier

I think Mary would have still married Frederik if he wasn't a prince because when she first met him at that bar she didn't even know who he was! She liked him from the start because of his personality not that he was a prince. I think it was fun for Mette-Marit in the begining being in the spotlight with Haakon kinda going "hey look who I'M dating" but then once the press started digging up her past and things started getting serious and they were going to get married I think Mette Marit knew it would be somewhat difficult from then on. I think for any woman that is dating a prince, knowing that he is a royal would sweeten the deal, I mean what girl hasn't dreamed of being a princess? But I believe Mary, Mette-Marit, Maxima, Sophie, Letizia, Mathilde and Rania all married for love, you can just see it in them.

Old 01-14-2006, 11:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
arent we all calculating in a marriage? Everybody hopes to gain something from it, now don't we? love, safety, offspring, etc.
I think you are wrong there. Most people marry because they love their husband/wife and want to spend the rest of their life with him/her. Most do not, for one moment think 'what can I get out of it'. I know I didn't!
Old 11-20-2006, 09:06 AM
Courtier

In my humble opinion: Mathilde, Masako, Maxima and Claire got married for love.
Mary, Marie Chantal, Tessy, Diana, Mabel, got married for the status.(That doesn't mean they didn't have feelings towards their respective husbands.)
Old 11-20-2006, 09:45 AM
Nobility

With marie-chantal and Pavlos i think it was true love even after years of marriage you can still see they adore each other
Old 11-20-2006, 10:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

I don't understand how any of us can see or determine whether someone is in love or if they married for reasons other than love. I think to to make a substanciated opinion, one must know the couple well, have conversations with the two of them etc. How are people basing their conclusions on? What criteria?

I'm not pointing the finger at anyone, just posing the question as I think it is an important one to discuss.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm totally unable to speculate about the love of the people that I don't or on whom I'have very few information or interest, it's the reason why I shall give my opinion about only Mathilde and Philippe of Belgium because they have a so sweet behaviour that we can call that a deep love ( not passion in a romantic signification)

As I'm very interested by Spain and the Princes of Asturias, if you pretend that Letizia married Felipe for the title you have to admit that she is very masochist because as a divorced woman and as a journalit she knew the difficulties that she has lived and may be she has to bear yet.
May be the aim to wear a day the title of Queen of Spain would be so attractive for her that she had forgot all this foreseeable and offensive attacks.

More as a journalist the knew all the gossips/rumors and so on about Felipe of Spain.

Do you think really that a woman can accept to see her life totally "striped" whithout the strong help of the love and the love of her husband because the question is also " why this so handsome man" didn't find a woman beautiful, brillant in his own ( and narrow) circle?

May be the love.... Because the Prince himself knew the difficulties that his wedding could to do to his wife. Can you imagine that people, prince or not, could to create a family on a such basis, can you imagine that a woman, divorced yet, knowing that her children have to stay with the Prince in case of rupture could to marry his without love?
Old 11-20-2006, 10:48 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilla
As has been pointed out before, Diana "fell in love" with the idea of Charles and becoming a princess, which is an emotional process and something she probably didn't analyze too closely or thoughtfully. This is something different than cold-blooded calculation where you are very much aware of WHAT you want WHY and What you are going to do to get it.
I think Masako married despite the royal aspect her life would be so much easier if she had not married a prince same for Mett-Merit,Mathilde,Sophie and Letiza.

The ones I'm certain would not have married if not for the royal factor are Diana and Fergie-Diana fell in love with the prince not the man-many young women would it's not saying they are cold just immature.Diana and Charles didn't spend alot of time together before the engagement and I'm sue given the age gap and their differences they would have difted apart because they were so incompatible.Sarah was not cut out for the life of a royal or an naval wife and he seems to laid-back and low-key for her,I think they would have had a fling then drifted apart.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybelline
In my humble opinion: Mathilde, Masako, Maxima and Claire got married for love.
Mary, Marie Chantal, Tessy, Diana, Mabel, got married for the status.(That doesn't mean they didn't have feelings towards their respective husbands.)
I'd like to add Mette-Marit to the "married for love" list.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:10 PM
Nobility

I remember one of the specials on the royals they were saying the royal family wanted Diana with Andrew not Charles-things would have been so different especially since Diana was said to admire Andrew and what a good man and father he was.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:37 PM
Commoner

A British friend once quoted a phrase:"One can marry for love,but it is easier to fall in love and marry where money and position live." I really doubt that most of these marriages would have taken place if the man in question had been anything but a prince. In Belgium,it has been stated that the aristocracy marries among each other.The same holds true elsewhere. While I think that CP Mary has transformed herself,I doubt she would have married the CP if he wasn't the CP. As for Marie Chantal,she was brought up only to look at a certain segment of the population,and was lucky to find love there. As for Letizia,she gave up a lot for the man,as did Maxima.Perhaps the greatest sacrifice was Pss Masako,of herself. She is the only one who appears to have been prevented from making a role for herself. The others,who married for whatever reasons have not been personally stifled,and have remained individuals within their own concepts of their adopted roles.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:48 PM
Royal Highness

Would these ladies have married when their spouses were not Princes?

Máxima no
Mary no
Mathilde yes
Letizia no
Masako no
Camilla yes
Old 11-20-2006, 01:58 PM
Moderator Emeritus

True Love-marriages:

1. Mette-Marit and Haakon
Mette had to change her life completely. Just look at this cute couple: After 5 years of marriage they still look so happy together.

2. Sonja and Harald
They definitely married for love. They waited for 9 years until their secret love has been made public.

3. Camilly and Charles
Their love seems to be really strong.

4. Claus and Beatrix
Claus would have married her even if she wasn'r Royal.. I even think he would have prefered if she wasn't Royal...

and many many more

Old 11-20-2006, 02:11 PM
Nobility

Married for love: Mette-Marit

Married for status: Mary, Maxima, Marie-Chantal, Rania, Mabel, Grace, Queen Noor

Not sure: Letizia, Mathilde, Claire, Anita, Aimee
Old 11-20-2006, 02:20 PM
Nobility

The one you have to feel the bad for is Masako she I think she is one who married inspite of the royal aspect and has suffered not because of her husband but because of others who have placed unrealistic expectaions aon her they pressure would be deblitating for anyone and it seem to be the case for her.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:30 PM
Serene Highness

Well in my oppinion:
Married for Love: Mette-Marit, Maxima, Sonja, Silvia, Mary, Sofia

Not that SURE : Letizia, Mathilde
Old 11-20-2006, 02:57 PM
Heir Apparent

I am pretty sure (as much as anyone can be, that is, when talking about a people I have never met in my life ) about:

1. Camilla
2. Mette-Marit
3. Sonja
4. Masako
5. Letizia
6. Maxima

I am sure all other Royal ladies have deepest affection for their Princes.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 11-20-2006, 03:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinika
Married for love: Mette-Marit

Married for status: Mary, Maxima, Marie-Chantal, Rania, Mabel, Grace, Queen Noor

Not sure: Letizia, Mathilde, Claire, Anita, Aimee
A couple of disagreements:

I don't know the others well, but Grace didn't marry Rainier for the "princess" status. She married because she was probably in love with Rainier but also I think to do something to try to impress her father.

I think Letizia married for status and Anita married for love (remember, Anita's husband gave up his place in line for the throne).
Old 11-20-2006, 03:25 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklady1991
A couple of disagreements:

I don't know the others well, but Grace didn't marry Rainier for the "princess" status. She married because she was probably in love with Rainier but also I think to do something to try to impress her father.

I think Letizia married for status and Anita married for love (remember, Anita's husband gave up his place in line for the throne).
But she didn't even KNOW Rainier. I know it had something to do with impressing her father, because the only thing that would top what her siblings had done was to become a princess--the whole 'movie star' thing cut no ice with the Kellys, even after she won the Oscar. There's been much written on the subject of how she didn't come to know Rainier until after the marriage, and that some things about him came as an unpleasant surprise. If she was in love with him, it was probably more the infatuated sort of love rather than a deep relationship built over time (not that I know for sure, of course). Just my impressions from what I've seen and read.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mims111
Well in my oppinion:
Married for Love: Mette-Marit, Maxima, Sonja, Silvia, Mary, Sofia

Not that SURE : Letizia, Mathilde
I second the list but i woud like to eddit the list a bit.

Married for Love Mary, Mette-Marit, Maxima, Sonja, Silvia, Masako, Mathilde, Sofia and Annemarie.

Married for titel and prestige Letizia, Camilla, Marie-Chantal and Mabel.

Tags
kate middleton, kate middleton wedding, prince philip, prince william, queen elizabeth