The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-05-2006, 06:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
As I understand it the reason she turned him DOWN 36 years ago was because he was a Prince!
Maybe she changed her opinion?
(Whatever she did to make him marry her - or the other way round - she clearly deserved to!)

Old 01-06-2006, 06:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilla
Maybe she changed her opinion?
(Whatever she did to make him marry her - or the other way round - she clearly deserved to!)
As Pollyemma said, Charles was furious that at certain events they were not seated together. Then the civil servants who look to the future also started to push for them to marry or separate. It would have been unacceptable to have a King and his ladyfriend in BP, if the Queen had died.
Camilla did not want the pomp and circumstance, the intrusion by the media into her or her childrens lives.
Yes I agree, I am glad they married, they seem to make each other very happy, lets hope everyone of the royals are still happily together after such a long time.:)

Old 01-06-2006, 04:59 PM
Heir Apparent

"What about Grace, would she have married Rainier if he hadn't been the ruler of Monaco?"

i read a book a while ago that claimed the marriage beween Rainier and Grace was arranged. Allegedly, the Prince wanted to boost the profile of Monaco and spoke to several Hollywood studios as to who would be a suitable "lady". Apparently the studios suggested Marilyn Monroe, but Rainier felt she was too racy and in the end they agreed on Grace.

I'd like to add this is purely speculative and just something I read in a book. I'm not suggesting or claiming this is factual.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:01 PM
Courtier

Whether it is true or just rumour, Grace was possibly a better choice. Did your book say if Grace was aware of the fact that she was just one of a ton of "suitable ladies"?
Old 01-06-2006, 05:03 PM
Heir Apparent

"Whether it is true or just rumour, Grace was possibly a better choice. Did your book say if Grace was aware of the fact that she was just one of a ton of "suitable ladies"?"

Oh yes, it was very much an agreement between both parties. But like I said before, I'm not suggesting or claiming it's true, just something I read.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:12 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiffyBallerina
The only one I really doubt is MC and CP Pavlos. I think it was made very obvious that it was a very sweet deal for both sides. Not that they don't love each other (and I hope they do with 4 children), but I'm sure the marriage would never have happened if titles weren't involved.
That is so true, the marriage united two very calculating individuals.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:15 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by polop
I know a lot of people are going to diagree with me, but I don't think Camilla would've married Charles if wasn't a Prince. Right before their engagement became public, rumors were that she was getting tired of not attending state events with him, and wanted to be included as his wife AND as a ROYAL MEMBER.I think she would have NEVER married him, if he wasn't a prince. :)
I agree, I think recongition did probably become quite important to Camilla, esp as Di had passed away for quite a few years now and public opinion had probably softened. So Charles did not really have a big excuse for not marrying her...
Old 01-06-2006, 05:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
"Whether it is true or just rumour, Grace was possibly a better choice. Did your book say if Grace was aware of the fact that she was just one of a ton of "suitable ladies"?"

Oh yes, it was very much an agreement between both parties. But like I said before, I'm not suggesting or claiming it's true, just something I read.
Apparently the deal worked quite well.From what I've read they seem to have developed a good relationship.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:36 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane

It's difficult to judge how 'smart' people are based on their school days. Those I went to school with and considered smart were not necessarily the ones who got the best or most lengthy educations.
Besides, Frederik is undoubtedly 'people smart' - many people really like him. And that is an important type of intelligence for a future regent :)

That's right Userdane. I know of people who don't have University degrees but are very business minded and have done well for themselves. I think he is well rounded and has a good head on his shoulders. I also agree that he appears to have married for love- I couldn't imagine anyone marrying for any other reason-( sure it happens though) ie for companionship and financial security-but to me that would be sad and lonely- I know i couldn't do it- i 'd rather be alone.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:02 AM
Commoner

Well....as long as we're doing a "what-if"...

Why would Mary *have* to move to Denmark if Fred was a bricklayer? Let's pretend that Fred is a Danish bricklayer/sales manager/engineer who still has fluent English...it would make more sense for Fred to move to Australia where both Mary and Fred spoke the language.

IMHO, Fred and Mary would have still married but perhaps made their life together in Australia.

I love what-if stuff :)

Debby
Old 01-08-2006, 11:46 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star

From what I've read in various biographies about Grace and Rainier, their marriage was probably not arranged (or "forced") but certainly encouraged, especially by Father Tucker. In 1955-56, both Grace and Rainier were a point in their lives when they were ready/expected to settle down and start a family. Rainier needed to ensure the future of his dynasty while Grace was the last of her siblings to be single. Both had had problems finding a suitible partner: Rainier with Gisele Pascal, and Grace with a string of Hollywood men whom her parents found unsuitible.
At the time, they both needed a Catholic, non-divorce partner, and they found it in each other. For Rainier, Grace also happened to be fertile, from a good family, and an famous American actress that would boost American and worldwide tourism in Monaco. For Grace, she found a husband that would be accepted by her family and whom she thought wouldn't be overshadowed by her stardom.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:07 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissajames
That is so true, the marriage united two very calculating individuals.
arent we all calculating in a marriage? Everybody hopes to gain something from it, now don't we? love, safety, offspring, etc.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:15 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
arent we all calculating in a marriage? Everybody hopes to gain something from it, now don't we? love, safety, offspring, etc.
I am afraid I do not know, I have never been married myself. :)

But imo MC and her husband are manipulative people.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:18 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge
From what I've read in various biographies about Grace and Rainier, their marriage was probably not arranged (or "forced") but certainly encouraged, especially by Father Tucker. In 1955-56, both Grace and Rainier were a point in their lives when they were ready/expected to settle down and start a family. Rainier needed to ensure the future of his dynasty while Grace was the last of her siblings to be single. Both had had problems finding a suitible partner: Rainier with Gisele Pascal, and Grace with a string of Hollywood men whom her parents found unsuitible.
At the time, they both needed a Catholic, non-divorce partner, and they found it in each other. For Rainier, Grace also happened to be fertile, from a good family, and an famous American actress that would boost American and worldwide tourism in Monaco. For Grace, she found a husband that would be accepted by her family and whom she thought wouldn't be overshadowed by her stardom.
I have also heard a theory that Grace craved the love and attention of her father and wanted to please him desperately, so by marrying a Prince with constitutional power she's managed to marry well and please her dad.

She was the most beautiful woman in the world imo.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:01 AM
Aristocracy

This is a very interesting subject. I think that is a very hard question to answer because we don't really know how these Prince and Princesses truly feel for each other. It is definitely possible that they are in love and happy, but its also possible that they aren't. Look at Charles and Diana's fairy tale romance. There is always more that goes on beneath the surface. I just hope that these royals are happy with their choices of husbands and wives and won't one day regret their decisions.

-Emily
Old 01-09-2006, 06:10 AM
Gentry

I personally think that marriages since 1990s are mostly based on love and these arranged marriages are of the things of past. However, I do not believe that all these well-educated and professionally successful women who are the crown princesses today would have married a man who is less educated or less professionally successful than them.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Well, I am pretty sure about a few royals.
1. Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall and Prince Charles of Wales. I am pretty sure that Camilla would marry Charles even if he weren't a Prince. In fact she didn't marry him becasue he was a Prince.
2. Crown Princess Maxima and Crown Prince Wilhelm-Alexander of the Netherlands. She loves him, whether he is a Prince or not. A perfect couple, if I have seen one.
3. Crown Princess Mette-Marit and Crown Prince Haakon of Norway. Nothing impossible for love...
4. Crown Princess Mathilde and Crown Prince Phillipe of Belgium. Another perfect couple. Phillipe and Mathilde were destined for each other.
6. Queen Rania of Jordan and King Abdullah. I believe she would marry him anyway. And he wasn't the heir to the throne at all when they married. They love each other.

I think that Frederik & Mary, Felipe & Letizia, Mabel & Johan Friso and loads of other Royals married because of love, not title.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 01-11-2006, 11:51 PM
Aristocracy

I like to give them the benefit of the doubt and say that most of them did marry for love, not the title. Sure, the titles and wealth are enticing and probably help sway most of them (with a few exceptions) but I believe love was the main reason for most of the current royal couples. And I'm really disappointed that people speculate on things like this based on something as simple as pictures, videos, etc. when that's really what they act like in public, not in private.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:13 AM
Serene Highness

I think the one person that probably truly married for the title was Diana, Princess of Wales. Not that she planned and calculated the whole thing, but given their age differences and their clash of personalities, it seems that Diana definitely fell in love with the idea of Charles and being a princess than the Charles himself.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge
I think the one person that probably truly married for the title was Diana, Princess of Wales. Not that she planned and calculated the whole thing, but given their age differences and their clash of personalities, it seems that Diana definitely fell in love with the idea of Charles and being a princess than the Charles himself.
No i do not agree. Diana was very young and innocent, she really fell in love of Charles. Of course the idea being UK Queen have helped the dream, but do not forget how strong and respectable is monarchy in GB, especially 25 years ago, when all these mess and scandals did not exist.
If she was just calculating, she would not have been so upset and miserable about Charles cheeting her. A calculating woman does not care about being cheated, she stays married and keeps the title and honour

Tags
kate middleton, kate middleton wedding, prince philip, prince william, queen elizabeth