Would They Have Married?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Little_star said:
"Whether it is true or just rumour, Grace was possibly a better choice. Did your book say if Grace was aware of the fact that she was just one of a ton of "suitable ladies"?"

Oh yes, it was very much an agreement between both parties. But like I said before, I'm not suggesting or claiming it's true, just something I read.

From what I've read in various biographies about Grace and Rainier, their marriage was probably not arranged (or "forced") but certainly encouraged, especially by Father Tucker. In 1955-56, both Grace and Rainier were a point in their lives when they were ready/expected to settle down and start a family. Rainier needed to ensure the future of his dynasty while Grace was the last of her siblings to be single. Both had had problems finding a suitible partner: Rainier with Gisele Pascal, and Grace with a string of Hollywood men whom her parents found unsuitible.
At the time, they both needed a Catholic, non-divorce partner, and they found it in each other. For Rainier, Grace also happened to be fertile, from a good family, and an famous American actress that would boost American and worldwide tourism in Monaco. For Grace, she found a husband that would be accepted by her family and whom she thought wouldn't be overshadowed by her stardom.

melissajames said:
That is so true, the marriage united two very calculating individuals. :rolleyes:

arent we all calculating in a marriage? Everybody hopes to gain something from it, now don't we? love, safety, offspring, etc.

Marengo said:
arent we all calculating in a marriage? Everybody hopes to gain something from it, now don't we? love, safety, offspring, etc.

I am afraid I do not know, I have never been married myself. :)

But imo MC and her husband are manipulative people.

EmpressRouge said:
From what I've read in various biographies about Grace and Rainier, their marriage was probably not arranged (or "forced") but certainly encouraged, especially by Father Tucker. In 1955-56, both Grace and Rainier were a point in their lives when they were ready/expected to settle down and start a family. Rainier needed to ensure the future of his dynasty while Grace was the last of her siblings to be single. Both had had problems finding a suitible partner: Rainier with Gisele Pascal, and Grace with a string of Hollywood men whom her parents found unsuitible.
At the time, they both needed a Catholic, non-divorce partner, and they found it in each other. For Rainier, Grace also happened to be fertile, from a good family, and an famous American actress that would boost American and worldwide tourism in Monaco. For Grace, she found a husband that would be accepted by her family and whom she thought wouldn't be overshadowed by her stardom.
I have also heard a theory that Grace craved the love and attention of her father and wanted to please him desperately, so by marrying a Prince with constitutional power she's managed to marry well and please her dad. :rolleyes:

She was the most beautiful woman in the world imo. ;)

This is a very interesting subject. I think that is a very hard question to answer because we don't really know how these Prince and Princesses truly feel for each other. It is definitely possible that they are in love and happy, but its also possible that they aren't. Look at Charles and Diana's fairy tale romance. There is always more that goes on beneath the surface. I just hope that these royals are happy with their choices of husbands and wives and won't one day regret their decisions.

-Emily

I personally think that marriages since 1990s are mostly based on love and these arranged marriages are of the things of past. However, I do not believe that all these well-educated and professionally successful women who are the crown princesses today would have married a man who is less educated or less professionally successful than them.

Well, I am pretty sure about a few royals.
1. Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall and Prince Charles of Wales. I am pretty sure that Camilla would marry Charles even if he weren't a Prince. In fact she didn't marry him becasue he was a Prince.
2. Crown Princess Maxima and Crown Prince Wilhelm-Alexander of the Netherlands. She loves him, whether he is a Prince or not. A perfect couple, if I have seen one.
3. Crown Princess Mette-Marit and Crown Prince Haakon of Norway. Nothing impossible for love...
4. Crown Princess Mathilde and Crown Prince Phillipe of Belgium. Another perfect couple. Phillipe and Mathilde were destined for each other.
6. Queen Rania of Jordan and King Abdullah. I believe she would marry him anyway. And he wasn't the heir to the throne at all when they married. They love each other.

I think that Frederik & Mary, Felipe & Letizia, Mabel & Johan Friso and loads of other Royals married because of love, not title.

I like to give them the benefit of the doubt and say that most of them did marry for love, not the title. Sure, the titles and wealth are enticing and probably help sway most of them (with a few exceptions) but I believe love was the main reason for most of the current royal couples. And I'm really disappointed that people speculate on things like this based on something as simple as pictures, videos, etc. when that's really what they act like in public, not in private.

I think the one person that probably truly married for the title was Diana, Princess of Wales. Not that she planned and calculated the whole thing, but given their age differences and their clash of personalities, it seems that Diana definitely fell in love with the idea of Charles and being a princess than the Charles himself.

EmpressRouge said:
I think the one person that probably truly married for the title was Diana, Princess of Wales. Not that she planned and calculated the whole thing, but given their age differences and their clash of personalities, it seems that Diana definitely fell in love with the idea of Charles and being a princess than the Charles himself.

No i do not agree. Diana was very young and innocent, she really fell in love of Charles. Of course the idea being UK Queen have helped the dream, but do not forget how strong and respectable is monarchy in GB, especially 25 years ago, when all these mess and scandals did not exist.
If she was just calculating, she would not have been so upset and miserable about Charles cheeting her. A calculating woman does not care about being cheated, she stays married and keeps the title and honour :D

fandesacs2003 said:
If she was just calculating, she would not have been so upset and miserable about Charles cheeting her. A calculating woman does not care about being cheated, she stays married and keeps the title and honour :D

As has been pointed out before, Diana "fell in love" with the idea of Charles and becoming a princess, which is an emotional process and something she probably didn't analyze too closely or thoughtfully. This is something different than cold-blooded calculation where you are very much aware of WHAT you want WHY and What you are going to do to get it.

I think Mary would have still married Frederik if he wasn't a prince because when she first met him at that bar she didn't even know who he was! She liked him from the start because of his personality not that he was a prince. I think it was fun for Mette-Marit in the begining being in the spotlight with Haakon kinda going "hey look who I'M dating" but then once the press started digging up her past and things started getting serious and they were going to get married I think Mette Marit knew it would be somewhat difficult from then on. I think for any woman that is dating a prince, knowing that he is a royal would sweeten the deal, I mean what girl hasn't dreamed of being a princess? But I believe Mary, Mette-Marit, Maxima, Sophie, Letizia, Mathilde and Rania all married for love, you can just see it in them.

Marengo said:

I think you are wrong there. Most people marry because they love their husband/wife and want to spend the rest of their life with him/her. Most do not, for one moment think 'what can I get out of it'. I know I didn't!

In my humble opinion: Mathilde, Masako, Maxima and Claire got married for love.
Mary, Marie Chantal, Tessy, Diana, Mabel, got married for the status.(That doesn't mean they didn't have feelings towards their respective husbands.)

With marie-chantal and Pavlos i think it was true love even after years of marriage you can still see they adore each other :rolleyes:

I don't understand how any of us can see or determine whether someone is in love or if they married for reasons other than love. I think to to make a substanciated opinion, one must know the couple well, have conversations with the two of them etc. How are people basing their conclusions on? What criteria?

I'm not pointing the finger at anyone, just posing the question as I think it is an important one to discuss.

I'm totally unable to speculate about the love of the people that I don't or on whom I'have very few information or interest, it's the reason why I shall give my opinion about only Mathilde and Philippe of Belgium because they have a so sweet behaviour that we can call that a deep love ( not passion in a romantic signification)

As I'm very interested by Spain and the Princes of Asturias, if you pretend that Letizia married Felipe for the title you have to admit that she is very masochist because as a divorced woman and as a journalit she knew the difficulties that she has lived and may be she has to bear yet.
May be the aim to wear a day the title of Queen of Spain would be so attractive for her that she had forgot all this foreseeable and offensive attacks.

More as a journalist the knew all the gossips/rumors and so on about Felipe of Spain.

Do you think really that a woman can accept to see her life totally "striped" whithout the strong help of the love and the love of her husband because the question is also " why this so handsome man" didn't find a woman beautiful, brillant in his own ( and narrow) circle?

May be the love.... Because the Prince himself knew the difficulties that his wedding could to do to his wife. Can you imagine that people, prince or not, could to create a family on a such basis, can you imagine that a woman, divorced yet, knowing that her children have to stay with the Prince in case of rupture could to marry his without love?

Last edited:
Smilla said:
As has been pointed out before, Diana "fell in love" with the idea of Charles and becoming a princess, which is an emotional process and something she probably didn't analyze too closely or thoughtfully. This is something different than cold-blooded calculation where you are very much aware of WHAT you want WHY and What you are going to do to get it.
I think Masako married despite the royal aspect her life would be so much easier if she had not married a prince same for Mett-Merit,Mathilde,Sophie and Letiza.

The ones I'm certain would not have married if not for the royal factor are Diana and Fergie-Diana fell in love with the prince not the man-many young women would it's not saying they are cold just immature.Diana and Charles didn't spend alot of time together before the engagement and I'm sue given the age gap and their differences they would have difted apart because they were so incompatible.Sarah was not cut out for the life of a royal or an naval wife and he seems to laid-back and low-key for her,I think they would have had a fling then drifted apart.

ladybelline said:
In my humble opinion: Mathilde, Masako, Maxima and Claire got married for love.
Mary, Marie Chantal, Tessy, Diana, Mabel, got married for the status.(That doesn't mean they didn't have feelings towards their respective husbands.)

I'd like to add Mette-Marit to the "married for love" list.

I remember one of the specials on the royals they were saying the royal family wanted Diana with Andrew not Charles-things would have been so different especially since Diana was said to admire Andrew and what a good man and father he was.

A British friend once quoted a phrase:"One can marry for love,but it is easier to fall in love and marry where money and position live." I really doubt that most of these marriages would have taken place if the man in question had been anything but a prince. In Belgium,it has been stated that the aristocracy marries among each other.The same holds true elsewhere. While I think that CP Mary has transformed herself,I doubt she would have married the CP if he wasn't the CP. As for Marie Chantal,she was brought up only to look at a certain segment of the population,and was lucky to find love there. As for Letizia,she gave up a lot for the man,as did Maxima.Perhaps the greatest sacrifice was Pss Masako,of herself. She is the only one who appears to have been prevented from making a role for herself. The others,who married for whatever reasons have not been personally stifled,and have remained individuals within their own concepts of their adopted roles.

Would these ladies have married when their spouses were not Princes?

Máxima no
Mary no
Mathilde yes
Letizia no
Masako no
Camilla yes

:heart: True Love-marriages:

1. Mette-Marit and Haakon
Mette had to change her life completely. Just look at this cute couple: After 5 years of marriage they still look so happy together.

2. Sonja and Harald
They definitely married for love. They waited for 9 years until their secret love has been made public.

3. Camilly and Charles
Their love seems to be really strong.:rolleyes:

4. Claus and Beatrix
Claus would have married her even if she wasn'r Royal.. I even think he would have prefered if she wasn't Royal...

and many many more ;)

Married for love: Mette-Marit

Married for status: Mary, Maxima, Marie-Chantal, Rania, Mabel, Grace, Queen Noor

Not sure: Letizia, Mathilde, Claire, Anita, Aimee

The one you have to feel the bad for is Masako she I think she is one who married inspite of the royal aspect and has suffered not because of her husband but because of others who have placed unrealistic expectaions aon her they pressure would be deblitating for anyone and it seem to be the case for her.

Well in my oppinion:
Married for Love: Mette-Marit, Maxima, Sonja, Silvia, Mary, Sofia

Not that SURE :rolleyes: : Letizia, Mathilde

I am pretty sure (as much as anyone can be, that is, when talking about a people I have never met in my life ;) ) about:

1. Camilla
2. Mette-Marit
3. Sonja
4. Masako
5. Letizia
6. Maxima

I am sure all other Royal ladies have deepest affection for their Princes.

Last edited:
Tinika said:
Married for love: Mette-Marit

Married for status: Mary, Maxima, Marie-Chantal, Rania, Mabel, Grace, Queen Noor

Not sure: Letizia, Mathilde, Claire, Anita, Aimee

A couple of disagreements:

I don't know the others well, but Grace didn't marry Rainier for the "princess" status. She married because she was probably in love with Rainier but also I think to do something to try to impress her father.

I think Letizia married for status and Anita married for love (remember, Anita's husband gave up his place in line for the throne).

pinklady1991 said:
A couple of disagreements:

I don't know the others well, but Grace didn't marry Rainier for the "princess" status. She married because she was probably in love with Rainier but also I think to do something to try to impress her father.

I think Letizia married for status and Anita married for love (remember, Anita's husband gave up his place in line for the throne).

But she didn't even KNOW Rainier. I know it had something to do with impressing her father, because the only thing that would top what her siblings had done was to become a princess--the whole 'movie star' thing cut no ice with the Kellys, even after she won the Oscar. There's been much written on the subject of how she didn't come to know Rainier until after the marriage, and that some things about him came as an unpleasant surprise. If she was in love with him, it was probably more the infatuated sort of love rather than a deep relationship built over time (not that I know for sure, of course). Just my impressions from what I've seen and read.

mims111 said:
Well in my oppinion:
Married for Love: Mette-Marit, Maxima, Sonja, Silvia, Mary, Sofia

Not that SURE :rolleyes: : Letizia, Mathilde

I second the list but i woud like to eddit the list a bit.

Married for Love Mary, Mette-Marit, Maxima, Sonja, Silvia, Masako, Mathilde, Sofia and Annemarie.

Married for titel and prestige Letizia, Camilla, Marie-Chantal and Mabel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom