Would They Have Married?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have a very hard time not saying something about things which I have strong opinions about which would get me into trouble. Sometimes I'm opinionated and have said what I think which I know will get you into trouble if you marry a royal or are a royal or if you were dating a royal. You're supposed to be a bland person who shows no emotion and doesn't say controversial things or talk about them. For me that would be very difficult.

No doubt if I was dating a prince, his family would tell him not to marry me especially if they were very conservative or if the country was very conservative. Let's just say my opinions wouldn't go over very well and there would be conflict because of it. Even if a more progressive country, I would still be a problem.

No matter what the situation would be, if something came up and I felt I had to say no to a Prince. I would. For the main reason being that this person is not Prince. His title is Prince. It would be different if I was in his employ where it was my job to carry out orders and duties for this person, but on a personal level, there is no reason on Earth I would feel I had to respond with a yes just because he asked.

If it was a question of a personal relationship or even a marriage proposal, I don't believe I'd be saying yes or no to a Prince but an actual person that I've come to see as his own person outside of a royal title. I totally believe that when William proposed to Kate, she answered yes to William the man and not Prince William of Wales. :D

There's an old saying one has to kiss a lot of frogs before they turn into their prince. What some tend to forget is that even though they've morphed into a prince, they still are frogs by nature. Warts and all.

I think it is naive and juvenile to think a woman wouldn't say no to a man whose first name is Prince. I assumed that in this day and age as women few up they understood that Cinderella is a fairy tale; and there are some girls who realize that for whT it is. There are some who fall in love with the idea of being a Princess, Diana for example, but others who realize it's no fairy tale, I believe Elizabeth Bowes Lyon falls into that category.

Would she say yes to him if he was not a prince? Is his being a prince the primary attraction?

Would she say yes to him if he was not a prince? Is his being a prince the primary attraction?

I think it would all depend on where her head is at and what her priorities are. If she's geared to believe that she should "advance" herself by marrying into money or power or prestige, I think the title of Prince would be a huge attraction and would say yes even if he had 3 eyes, one tooth and 6 toes on each foot. If she was looking for a loving, steady relationship with someone, after the initial meeting and getting to know the guy, that would be how she responded to him. If it was the right guy, she'd fall in love and say yes to him whether he was a prince or a potato peeler.

Depends if she finds him attractive. If she doesn't then she will say no.

Depends a lot on the prince and the circumstances, in my opinion. If that prince should, for example, happen to be Hisahito of Japan (some time in the future, of course), I´d strongly recommend the girl to run as fast as she can, and preferably before she would have had the time to fall for him. Even if it should be too late for that, though, I´d really advise her to prefer a short heartbreak over a long misery.

Edit: I have come to notice just know that this is in the British forum. If you should have had but princes from the British royalty in mind when you asked your question, I am sorry for having been OT.

Last edited:
I don't understand this question.

There are all sorts of reasons why a girl should say no to a man. Whether he is a prince or not.

I think it would make more sense if you turned the question around: Why would a girl say yes to a prince?

Last edited:
[...] Why would a girl say yes to a prince?
Ermmm, let me see...:hmm: - maybe because she does not know the difference between being a princess in a fairy tale and being a princess in real life? ;)

I think I would split in two extreme cases :

- would a girl say no to a prince, who has no other attraction point for her, than to be a Prince,
- would a girl say no to a man she likes and loves, but she gives up to him, only because she is a Prince
In two words, "being a Prince" can work as a sole negative or positive pont?

I think nowadays it (the title) has more negatives than positives. Sure, she would have a life of wealth, of deference, of all sorts of perks, be waited on hand and foot, be lavished with all sorts of gifts.

BUT- on the downside, she'd live her life in a fishbowl, subject to savage criticism from strangers on her family, her looks, her clothes, her personality, her friends, etc.

Nice question but I mostly adore the answers! Yes, most of us would say no if he was not attractive to us or because he behaves badly etc.

I would say yes if I were attracted to the prince. I have the perfect temperment to handle a job like that.

Russian princes got quite a few knockbacks in the 19th century.

I would be that girl. If a prince would ask me to marry him I think I'll say no. I don't want to put my life on big screens, ruin so much friendships, not being able anymore to give my opinion on everything, not being me. When I'll go out everybody will clap or critic my clothes etc. Even if I'm seriously in love with that boy, I think I will say no. It's not the case right now so I can't say it for sure, but I think so :ermm:

For me, it depends on the man. Every man, royal or not, is a man; the title is just a perk, or something that sounds oh, so magical. However, in real life, the man behind the title may be anything but a prince. However, a man with no title or rank could be a prince due to his mannerisms, chivalry, kindness and compassion. So, to answer the question, I would say 'no' to a man if he were scum, regardless of title, rank, etc.

For me it would be an added bonus that he's a prince but if there's no attraction or chemistry then it's useless to pursue anything else. I'm after the man and his character not his title or bank account. No one says "I do" to a title.

Here's a better question, which Prince would u say yes to?
Take into consideration the man himself the amount of scrutiny the family gets and what the job entails. For example I believe someone in this thread commented that they wouldn't marry Prince Hisahito.

:previous:

Interesting question. I have to say, the only Prince from currently reigning houses I'd ever consider dating/marrying would be Crown Prince Haakon. He appears to be extremely loyal person who'll stand by your side no matter what and will help through all issues. I think with someone like him by my side, I'd be able to overcome all the negative aspects of royal life.

Definitely not one of the British Princes; I have a soft spot for Harry but if he dropped to one knee and pulled out the most stunning engagement ring in history of mankind, I'd run away as fast and far away as possible. As for William, you'd have to be either madly in love, or just mad to marry him. Kate must have a really strong character.

Kate must have a really strong character.

Yes, I think so, too.

When I read the posts which imply she has married him to take advantage of the privilege and social boost ... it makes me shake my head. These are the people without any understanding of what it means to be a modern "Princess", I think.

Who in their right mind would give up a private life and the right to privacy (to a great degree), take a job that can never be quit or vacated, know they will have to work for the rest of their lives (royals can't retire), that their spouse and children will be subjected to a tremendous amount of pressure and scrutiny all for a few baubles and a country estate or two?

Someone who is sincerely in love and someone who has a tremendous strength of character. Otherwise, we have Diana all over again, whose only real flaw, AFAIAC, is that she did not have this strength of character - she was a sprinter and this is a long race.

YMMV

Oh yes, there is no prince I would say yes to. Maybe Charles when I was younger and more foolish :) Today, in the fullness of time? Not a single one.

I'd say yes to Prince Frederik of Denmark, on looks and interviews. I've obviously never met the guy and he could be a horrible man behind the curtain, same could be said for any Prince or Princess.

I wouldn't say yes to William, unless I got a really sweet deal out of it. I would mind being a UK Princess but William is not my type of guy.

The OP should rephrase the question and make it 'prince or princess' hehehe, just so us guys can play make believe as well :lol:

I think it depends on the character of the girl, if she can bear being in the spotlight and under scrutiny for the rest of her life. When dating the prince, she'll get a pretty good idea of what her life would look like, giving up personal freedom and opinion (and sunbathing topless :p). Not everybody can deal with it, no matter how much love or attraction.

Why would any guy marry a princess?

Here is another intriguing question.

How many guys would be willing to marry a princess knowing that one day she will inherit the title and he would always be in her shadow?

I think this situation is more complicated than in my previous question.
This reminds me of the movie Notting Hill. Guys are expected to make the first move. Most guys would probably be intimidated. So it would take a bold guy who does not hesitate to do so, but if he succeeds, he is expected to be in her shadow for life which is not in his nature. The timid ones should not be good for princesses anyway. Who wins here?

And does have a princess to propose to her boyfriend, as the one who is "on the higher position"?

And does have a princess to propose to her boyfriend, as the one who is "on the higher position"?

No. If she wishes to ask him, that's fair enough. She doesn't have to ask him. That's like Queen Vicky asking Albert in the film The Young Victoria.

This thread should be merged with the previous question and just alter the thread title. The answer is the same, it is entirely down to the Prince/Princess in question. Look what Daniel went through to get Victoria, you have to put up with a lot but if you love them, there's nothing to it.

Well Daniel proposed to Victoria as was stated by them in the wedding interview and Victoria as CP had a higher rank than Daniel. Do not know who proposed to whom in Queen Beatrix case nor do I know about HM and the DOE or Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik.

The obvious reply could be: For love.

The more cynical reply could be: For the ego.
- Scoring a genuine princess.
- Securing a pretty high and secure social status.
- Being famous and hopefully (if you are that egocentric, you are probably convinced that you will...) be admired by the fair sex.
- Feeling a little smug at the thought of spreading your genes in royal circles.

:p

IMO, it is much easier for a man to marry a princess because in the BRF at least, it seems that royal brides are expected to 'breathe new life' and 'modernise the institution' lol. Catherine drives certain feminist commentators batty because she dares take a 'back seat' to William and isn't setting up her own personal court.
Men who marry princesses are **expected** to take a back seat and for me , that makes it much easier for us guys haha. Just my opinion.

I think the DoE has had his fair share of stick over the years. Because the only men who have married into the BRF have been Mark Phillips and Tim Laurence, who took a huge back seat we have really seen a modern man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom