The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-28-2006, 05:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetcher
I think this generation of crown princesses all married for love. It's very obvious that all these cp couples are madly in love. Gone are the days when royal parents set up marriages or an heir marrying someone who would make a great queen. I look at Haakon-MM, Felipe-Letizia, Fred-Mary, Philippe-Mathilde, and WA-Maxima, and all I see is love.
I see the same.
Of course, Lena, things are not only black and white and one can never know for sure,
but I believe in intuition, I believe in vibes and feelings.
(And I usually have a good intuition, actually my friends call me Kassandra.
I once predicted that the company I was working for would go bankrupt in the course of 1 year,
after I had a meeting with our new boss, and it sure did.)

I look at a couple and I say: yes, they belong to each other, or no, they don't.
And I have a good feeling for all the current cp couples.

There is one case (in this generation) where I always had the feeling the woman married the prince and not the man
and that is Alexandra of Denmark.
I don't think she would have married Joachim if he hadn't been a prince.
I don't think they really knew each other when they married or ever really suited each other.
And IMO that`s the reason why the marriage ended up in divorce.

Of course, one can never know for sure.
But most things that are said on messageboards are not facts but just opinions and feelings.

Old 09-16-2007, 04:20 PM
Royal Highness

One thing is for sure:Wallis wouldn't have married David if he wouldn't have been a royal or if she would have thought he had a chance in hell to marry her and continue being king, the same for Princess Lilian of Belgium, the princess de rethy, she wouldn't have gone after the king if he wouldn't have been king or a royal for that matter. All the Crown princesses, and most of the princesses by marriage have proved that they are hard working, and serious about their positions, none are lazy and out only to have a good time.

Old 09-16-2007, 04:46 PM
Courtier
Picture of the Month Representative - The Netherlands

Married for love: Máxima, Mette-Marit, Mathilde and Camilla. Just see how the look their hisbands, they really are in love
Married for Status: Mary, Letizia
Old 09-16-2007, 04:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Maxima View Post
Married for love: Máxima, Mette-Marit, Mathilde and Camilla. Just see how the look their hisbands, they really are in love
Married for Status: Mary, Letizia
Why do you think Letizia married Felipe just for the status ? I'm not contesting your opinion at all, but I'm curious to know why. For me they are perhaps the more 'in-love' royal couple ...

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 09-16-2007, 05:36 PM
Nobility

Among all the current crop of commoner princesses, Letizia had more to lose than gain from her marriage. For a successful and independent career woman, a title doesn't necessarily outweight the loss of freedom and independence. So I'm not sure why someone would think she married for status.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:43 PM
Commoner

Mary and Fred

Mary and Frederick met in 2000. They knew each other for four years before they married. Let's not forget that she gave up her nationality, and her religion, as well as having to make a great effort to learn a new language and move to a new country. I truly believe this is a love match and one that will last. She's brought a great deal to her new life and IMO she grows and learns all the time.
The one who really strikes me as being in love with the status and title is the one no one has mentioned yet - Kate Middleton. I hope William takes his time and doesn't give in to any ultimatiums, which the Press says she has given him. I had hopes of two Princesses but I think my favourite is virtually spoken for. The other is equally perfect. We'll just have to wait and hope.!
Taree
Old 09-16-2007, 06:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda View Post

There is one case (in this generation) where I always had the feeling the woman married the prince and not the man
and that is Alexandra of Denmark.
I don't think she would have married Joachim if he hadn't been a prince.
I don't think they really knew each other when they married or ever really suited each other.
And IMO that`s the reason why the marriage ended up in divorce.
i don't think yu can pull off a marriage for 9 years so well if you are just interested in the prince and not the person. that's just my opinion. i doubt alexandra would have left her already comfortable life to adjust to a new, different country if she was just interested in a title and pretend for 9 years being in love with someone so well that we didn't even notice in such a long time! just imagine how frustrating it would feel after considering marrying for a title the feeling of having to move to a new place with a person you don't love and where you don't know anyone. is it really a fair price to pay?

i would say mette-marit, camilla, maxima and letizia married for love. of course, the fact that their husbands are princes influenced a bit their decision, but that's just normal. who, in their sanity, would simply dump someone because he is a prince, because he is too rich or because he lives in a beautiful palace?

i always ask this same question when people say "x is a golddigger": who is able to say they don't want to live a comfortable life if they meet someone who can offer one and who you love? saying no to the prince and yes to the pauper because of being a "good man"... that just happens in fairy tales.

besides, maxima and mathilde were upper class girls. it's obvious they wouldn't have married willem and philippe if they were just plain construction workers, just as they wouldn't have married anyone with a similar condition. two successful, well-educated ladies will look for at least a similar condition for their husbands.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 09-16-2007, 06:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taree View Post
Mary and Frederick met in 2000. They knew each other for four years before they married. Let's not forget that she gave up her nationality, and her religion, as well as having to make a great effort to learn a new language and move to a new country. I truly believe this is a love match and one that will last. She's brought a great deal to her new life and IMO she grows and learns all the time.
The one who really strikes me as being in love with the status and title is the one no one has mentioned yet - Kate Middleton. I hope William takes his time and doesn't give in to any ultimatiums, which the Press says she has given him. I had hopes of two Princesses but I think my favourite is virtually spoken for. The other is equally perfect. We'll just have to wait and hope.!
Taree
what about those rumours - urban myths - of mary donaldson going to that party in australia because she wanted to meet a prince and because she knew there was a group of princes there? malicious tongues even say that she went for felipe before meeting frederik.

i actually thought the same about kate middleton at first, but i'm starting to like her even more every day. she truly is discrete and never said did anything to talk about. no past, no scandals... she is a true lady already, even without her "princessy training". she dresses appropriately, behaves appropriately and has the right combination to be a good successor of princess diana.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 09-16-2007, 06:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Just see how the look their hisbands, they really are in love
Then you have not seen the many photo's of how Mary looks at Frederik.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 09-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Commoner

I think no matter the women, career, and life they have would be mesmerized by a prince that comes along and falls in love with you. It would be incredible, but i think in this day, with everything with royals so public, these women must have seen some of this going on, even before they met their respective Princes, and the fact they gave up not only jobs, their own countries, and freedom says alot about them. And of course they in some way love their new position, it is a small part, and they rest is for their husbands and kids. Even if some of these Princess are not in love i think everyone would have caught on by now and the stress of trying to keep up appearances would be showing...remember Charles and Diana, everyone saw through that easily and quickly.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:32 PM
Courtier

A perhaps contrary opinion: I have long believed that two of the current european crown princesses married INSPITE of their guys being princes, not because they were princes. Nothing I have seen since their mariages has made me change my mind on that.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:49 AM
Courtier

IMO all current Crown Princely Couples married for love.
I really cannot imagine any of them married just to get the status...

Didn't Diana marry for status?
I heard something like this in TV.. Diana wanted to become a real Princess and so the Prince of Wales was a good match.
She also fell in love with him but in the beginning she was just dating him because it was arranged ...
Old 09-17-2007, 08:22 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpriestess View Post
Among all the current crop of commoner princesses, Letizia had more to lose than gain from her marriage. For a successful and independent career woman, a title doesn't necessarily outweight the loss of freedom and independence. So I'm not sure why someone would think she married for status.
completely agree w/ you. Being an award-winning journalist certainly is more appealing to me than being a CP (imo ). letizia has to sacrifice a lot of things to be w/ the man she loves.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:11 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

I think most times it's a combination of both. All CP ladies somehow like the attention and the spotlight a prince brings along - a characteristic that is essential for a CP - but all are intelligent enough to know that they will depend on their husbands for the rest of their lifes, so better chose a guy you like or love

Besides, all ladies are also intelligent enough to know that it's not just about being a princess and that fairy tale image that goes with but also about things like the total loss of privacy because of the scrutiny of the yellow press, going from freedom into slavery (owned by the Royal House and the public) as divorce is not really an option, a tough working schedule etc. But they could only imagine and not know until the situation was acutally there. Best example is Letizia who thought she could continue to work with TVE until Felipe set things straight during their engangement interview.

So I doubt any lady only married for status but it may have played a part - pretty normal when I look around, even in normal life the guys with money or influence are preferred, not those living on social benefits.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
what about those rumours - urban myths - of mary donaldson going to that party in australia because she wanted to meet a prince and because she knew there was a group of princes there? malicious tongues even say that she went for felipe before meeting frederik.
Yes, there are these rumours and I guess they aren´t completely wrong. Also not the story about the Black Amex.

But even me, who is surely not the greatest fan of Mary, is able to see these two things differentiated.
I guess many many women would go to a pub, if they would know, that they could mingle with crown princes. Just imagine what a nice story to tell. You could flirt with a high prestige crown prince.
And also many would be happy about being flattered of a crown prince for a while. An love affair...some fun.
But it takes much more to date this guy for longer and to change your habits completely.
So if she went there to have fun with Royals and/or if she got attracted by their status, IMO one can´t conclude, that it was for the following 3 years until the engagement the very same and only reason for staying with him...

Quote:
completely agree w/ you. Being an award-winning journalist certainly is more appealing to me than being a CP (imo ). letizia has to sacrifice a lot of things to be w/ the man she loves.
When ppl are saying this, me always can´t help wondering one thing...how old are the oldest female newsreaders at TVE? And how many of them are mothers? And since it´s in Germany quite popular among newsreaders and journalists...how many of them are married to a high profile editor or manager at the media, they are working with?
I don´t wanna prove you "wrong", I´m just curious...
Old 09-17-2007, 11:01 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
Malicious tongues would in this connection undoubtedly be a now mercifully closed site dedicated to smearing Mary's name.
I wouldn't put more faith to that than you would believe that penefiel character who seemingly thrives on starting all sorts of rumours about Letizia - that is of course unless you deep down wants to believe that sort of rumours. And I suppose that most of us do want to believe some rumours; I know that there are definitely some that I give some credence to
I believe Frederik like most of the crown princes can spot a golddigger miles away - they have grown up having to develop that ability if they wanted to have any real friends after all. And if anybody are in love, Mary and Frederik are.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane View Post
Malicious tongues would in this connection undoubtedly be a now mercifully closed site dedicated to smearing Mary's name.
I wouldn't put more faith to that than you would believe that penefiel character who seemingly thrives on starting all sorts of rumours about Letizia - that is of course unless you deep down wants to believe that sort of rumours. And I suppose that most of us do want to believe some rumours; I know that there are definitely some that I give some credence to
I believe Frederik like most of the crown princes can spot a golddigger miles away - they have grown up having to develop that ability if they wanted to have any real friends after all. And if anybody are in love, Mary and Frederik are.

Hm, so you are not believing, that the thing, that firstly, on this very evening, attracted her, was his status? (pls. don´t answer it with "It is irrelevant now" as some sugars answer everything, that could be unpleasant about her past), just answer it honestly and as you are thinking, it was. I´m now really curiously.

Side note: To signalise that I´m not thinking, this was Mary related behaviour: as they stories were told, I´m thinking, this was also the case for the other 3 commoner crown princesses.

BTW what closed site are you talking about?
Old 09-17-2007, 12:05 PM
Heir Apparent

You know exactly which site she is talking about (as well as every single royal watcher on the planet.)

There is no need to go down that road.

Okay continue.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:27 PM
Courtier

When ppl are saying this, me always can´t help wondering one thing...how old are the oldest female newsreaders at TVE? And how many of them are mothers? And since it´s in Germany quite popular among newsreaders and journalists...how many of them are married to a high profile editor or manager at the media, they are working with?
I don´t wanna prove you "wrong", I´m just curious...[/quote

well, we can't certainly say that Letizia married a high-profile jounalist. I actually don't know a lot about her 1st husband. All I know is that he's not a high-profile media mogul to say the least so we can scrap him.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:20 AM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative – Spain

IMO Felipe's prince status is the cherry on the top of the ice cream!, because even he wouldn't have been a Prince he's a dream man!!!.. (hot, sorry I meant handsome , educated, smart, charming, sweet, tender, a family man, ... and many more)