Would They Have Married?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

auntie said:
The reason I'm asking, is because a couleague of mine who is Danish went to school with the Danish princes, and he said that they aint too smart!:eek:
It's difficult to judge how 'smart' people are based on their school days. Those I went to school with and considered smart were not necessarily the ones who got the best or most lengthy educations.​
Besides, Frederik is undoubtedly 'people smart' - many people really like him. And that is an important type of intelligence for a future regent :)

auntie said:
Back to the Danes, what about Alex and Joachim? She looked radiant at the announcement of marriage, what is said about them? The reason I'm asking, is because a couleague of mine who is Danish went to school with the Danish princes, and he said that they aint too smart!:eek:

Joachim may not be smart but he is very good looking. :)

ysbel said:
Joachim may not be smart but he is very good looking. :)
What ??? I don´t like the looks of Prince Joachim...He looks like he is sooooo snobish and that he is looking down to me as an ordinary Dane. He migth be Prince of Denmark and heir to the crown BUT i still much more like CP Frederik.

I think they're both good looking but they are very different princes as you say. I don't know about the snobbish bit; I haven't seen enough of Joachim to make a judgment.

auntie said:
With all due respect to Laurentien, She is the less attractive of the pair, She seems nice and really well grounded, but sometimes I contemplate what he saw in her as far as physical attraction? (I really like her personality, there is no makice in this question)

Lol, the old adage about beauty and the eye of the beholder is so very true! I find Laurentien the most attractive of all those mentioned and several not mentioned. :)

selrahc4 said:
Lol, the old adage about beauty and the eye of the beholder is so very true! I find Laurentien the most attractive of all those mentioned and several not mentioned. :)

I agree. I find Mabel so hideous I can barely stand to look at her. (the clothes dont help her much either) Laurentien is not as pretty as Maxima but she's certainly nice looking and of course her warmth and intelligence make it impossible not to love her.

UserDane said:

It's difficult to judge how 'smart' people are based on their school days. Those I went to school with and considered smart were not necessarily the ones who got the best or most lengthy educations.​
Besides, Frederik is undoubtedly 'people smart' - many people really like him. And that is an important type of intelligence for a future regent :)

I'm not talking about primary school(younger years) He went to school with them in their older years, and yes you are right, people smart is important!

pinklady1991 said:
In today's digital age, long distance relationships are much easier. If a commoner were to fall in love with a royal and choose to marry that person with the determination to make the relationship work, s/he would have to truly love the other person for the person s/he is and wants to be not in spite of the royal title or because of it. You love that person because of his/her sense of duty, sense of purpose...and you have to be supportive of those things and understand that sometimes (perhaps often) you are not the highest priority in his/her life. It's not as if anyone who marries a royal has any greater sense of selflessness in a relationship, but it's understanding that dedication to duty as part of the reason of why s/he fell in love with him/her.

I hope that makes sense...I think I may have bungled the meaning a bit.
I think you make lots of wonderful comments pinklady1991! And I don't think you've bungled anything!

I think that our modern-day princes and princesses have chosen to marry their respective partners not for the greater titles they can offer but because they truly love them. The desire by royal courts for royals to marry other royals may still exist in some small way, but there is certainly less pressure and less of a stigma to marry a commoner. We have had some wonderful recent examples of commoners making wonderful monarchs/royals -- Silvia of Sweden, Sonja of Norway, Claus and Maxima of the Netherlands, Noor of Jordan, to name just a few.

Some royals have potentially jeopoardized their monarchies in choosing the commoner partners they did -- consider the scanda and "outrage" and level of debate when Haakon chose to marry Mette-Marit or when Felipe chose to marry Letizia. Both couples have proven that love can conquer above duty!

Last edited:
crisiñaki said:
Who wouldn't have married Felipe? even if he wasn't a prince, he's awesome
I couldn't agree more here... who could resist such a handsome, kind, cultured and intelligent man?;)
crisiñaki said:
Iñaki would have married Cristina even if she was a (put a profession here)
Agree. They're soul mates :)

Last edited:
I actually believe that there are a couple of the crown princesses that married their guy in spite of the fact that they were princes--not at all because.

Yes for Mathilde, Mette-Marit, Masako and maybe Maxima and Claire.
No for Mary, Letizia, Marie-Chantal, and Clothilde Courau.

Mary, Marie-Chantal, Claire, Mabel married for the title
Mathilde, Mette-Marit,Letizia, Máxima, Sophie married out of love

I'm surprised by those who think Mary wouldn't have married Frederik if he weren't a prince. They look incredibly in love to me--and him at the wedding? Good heavens, who doesn't want his/her groom to be so overcome with (good, loving) emotion at that moment? I'd say they're lucky to have found each other and prevail against whatever obstacles were in their way. Am I missing something?

alexisrjt said:
I'm surprised by those who think Mary wouldn't have married Frederik if he weren't a prince. They look incredibly in love to me--and him at the wedding? Good heavens, who doesn't want his/her groom to be so overcome with (good, loving) emotion at that moment? I'd say they're lucky to have found each other and prevail against whatever obstacles were in their way. Am I missing something?
I completely agree with you. Frederik and Mary look incredibly in love to me, too.

alexisrjt said:

There are obviously love in their couple, but I bet Mary liked a lot the new status she gained when she married Frederik.
For Claire of Belgium, I think she would have married Laurent if he wasn't a prince. She seems to be not a big fan of all the royal tra-la-la.

I wonder why Mary has to bear the brunt just because she took a few classes. In the initial phases of a relationship I guess there is always a desire to put the best foot forward. For a normal average girl like Mary to meet Frederick and realise his position the desire to present a very prim and proper front would be very natural. It does not necessary mean that the aim was to trap Fred. Also Fred and Mary did not jump in and get married, they took their time. And I believe that it was love and friendship which both felt for each other which prompted them to get married. Somehow 3-4 yrs in a courtship really exposes the real person behind the facade whether you want it or not. And even if Mary had not found any unendearing qualities about the lazy, unintelligent Fred, Fred and his family would have realized if her feelings were mutual towards him or not. So all in all this couple looks to be a case of love.

Anyway for me Diana would never have married Charles if he wasn't a prince.

crisiñaki said:
Who wouldn't have married Felipe? even if he wasn't a prince, he's awesome, I think the same about Mathilde and Mette-Marit but not about Mary or Claire

If he was not a royal Felipe would have married Isabel Sartorius and we would not discuss now. Felipe had two serious relationships broken because they were considered te be against his royal condition, so.. the replya is there.

alexisrjt said:

I agree that they are very in love, but they managed to keep warm their love, because Frederic was a royal.
They managed to afford to travel often to see eachother (how many normal people can travel many times per year Denmark-Australia????).
Mary abandoned her job, her friends, her home, to go somewhere unknown for her, where she even not spoke the language, it was an enormeous challenge for a normal girl. She did it because she was "backed":rolleyes: thanks to Frederik's position. If he was a brick layer living in Denmark he could'nt be able to back her, find a job for her, or make her live without a job, etc etc.
So the relation would have die, so simple.

Last edited:
crisiñaki said:
Mary, Marie-Chantal, Claire, Mabel married for the title
Mathilde, Mette-Marit,Letizia, Máxima, Sophie married out of love

Marie Chantal, I would think you are right
Mette-Marit, Does she look very inlove to you????? not to me. She obviousely does not like the royal obligations, but she DOES like the comfort given be her position, like expensive Croco Prada bags :p priced in thousand euros each. Do not forget that in the first years of their marriage they have been very criticized because of her very expensive way of living, when paparazzis cought her every day shopping from the most expensive fashion houses, when she was supposed to "study" in London.
At this time, Norwegian people were extremely angry and the couple came back from London to Norway. Now MM is behavioring much much better, but I'm still not convinced of her "lack" of financial interest.

Mathilde : Absolute love:)

auntie said:
So you think she would have kept up the trans atlantic relationship if he was a brick layer?

Yes...a bricklayer with a Black American Express Card.

fandesacs2003 said:
Mette-Marit, Does she look very inlove to you????? not to me. She obviousely does not like the royal obligations, but she DOES like the comfort given be her position, like expensive Croco Prada bags :p priced in thousand euros each. Do not forget that in the first years of their marriage they have been very criticized because of her very expensive way of living, when paparazzis cought her every day shopping from the most expensive fashion houses, when she was supposed to "study" in London.
At this time, Norwegian people were extremely angry and the couple came back from London to Norway. Now MM is behavioring much much better, but I'm still not convinced of her "lack" of financial interest.

From all what one knows about Mette-Marit, it seems clear that stepping into the limelight (so to speak) was not exactly natural, nor what she wanted out of life. In addition, think of the problems she faced due to her past. Would you go and marry someone who'd make you a public figure if people kept digging up all sorts of information about you, berated you and criticised you every step on the way? And if it meant you had to do something totally different from what you'd originally planned to do in your life? You'd be a complete fool or masochistic to marry someone you didn't love, just to be able to afford Prada bags.

Smilla said:
From all what one knows about Mette-Marit, it seems clear that stepping into the limelight (so to speak) was not exactly natural, nor what she wanted out of life. In addition, think of the problems she faced due to her past. Would you go and marry someone who'd make you a public figure if people kept digging up all sorts of information about you, berated you and criticised you every step on the way? And if it meant you had to do something totally different from what you'd originally planned to do in your life? You'd be a complete fool or masochistic to marry someone you didn't love, just to be able to afford Prada bags.

My dear, thousand of people in this world marry, or stay married with someone who they do not love at all, especially and only because they love toooo much Prada bags.....:eek:
As regards MM, her problem to face limeligts are human and understandable, but on the other hand,she should have shown a more moderated "ability" to step into luxury world, ...this kind of contradiction can irritate people.

Last edited:
fandesacs2003 said:
My dear, thousand of people in this world marry, or stay married with someone who they do not love at all, especially and only because they love toooo much Prada bags.....:eek:
As regards MM, her problem to face limeligts are human and understandable, but on the other hand,she should have shown a more moderated "ability" to step into luxury world, ...this kind of contradiction can irritate people.

Yes, but Mette-Marit has not shown any undue cravings for Prada bags or been known as a social climber for most of her life. She was never a real fashionista either (and still isn't, in my opinion). So suddenly deciding to marry somebody who'd effectively make her life a lot more difficult in many respects (except the financial one) sounds very out of character.
I agree with much of the criticism, she's made her share of mistakes, but I think you definitely can't say she married for convenience, given the fact that it has cost her much of her personal comfort.

auntie said:
Quite right, I had no right to be offensive, could be a bank clerk, Laywer, computer technician and so forth

auntie

You were not offensive in any way. :) I was trying to be a bit funny, and it didn't come off.:eek:

Cheers Jaques D.

Marie-Chantal,Mabel and Letizia married their prince for the title.

Mary,Mathilde,Mette-Marit,Máxima, Claire and Sophie married their prince out of love.

Clothilde Courau ? I don´t know. When she got married to her prince was she not preagnet then ???

Last edited:
That's aninteresting point of view. Why do you think Letizia married for the title?

Smilla said:
That's aninteresting point of view. Why do you think Letizia married for the title?

She looks to me that she love´s the glamour in being a CrownPrincess and i just can´t se or finde the love in their looks or their bodylanguage.
It looks to me that she love the power and the money of being a CP.

The spanish royals arent really wealthy (or powerfull, as is none of the european RF). I really donbt think Letizia enjoys the glamour that much. She seems most radiant in pictures I see when she is on leisure with her husband. On official occassions she seems a bit in awe, afraid of doing things wrong (my personal impression).

As for the other women, I think most/all of them would have married their husband, if they had a carreer which was on a comparable level of that of their own. In fact I think some (Mette-Marit, married their husbands IN SPITE of their royal title.

H.M. Margrethe said:
She looks to me that she love´s the glamour in being a CrownPrincess and i just can´t se or finde the love in their looks or their bodylanguage.

As far as I know the Spanish RF are a bit more reserved in public than the more liberal RFs, so maybe she doesn't want to be the one to break with tradition by being not to demonstrative in her love of her husband?

H.M. Margrethe said:
It looks to me that she love the power and the money of being a CP.

I have often also the same feeling, but do not forget that Letizia is a coldheaded person, she does not show very much feelings. I think sge shares a good relation with Felipe, but talking for deep love !!! I'm not so sure.
Noone of them gives the impression that they share a passion like Philip & Mathilde, or Frederik & Mary.
And I do believe that she enjoys her official appearances, tiaras etc, and comparing her pics from now with photos of her first appearances, she seems now feeling strong moments of glory !!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom