The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-01-2006, 07:11 AM
Jaques Demolay

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie
So you think she would have kept up the trans atlantic relationship if he was a brick layer?
auntie

Does it have to be a brick layer?? Can it be a marketing manager for a Danish firm?? Or something similar. These poor bricklayers get dragged into every debate about preferences.
BTW I am not a bricklayer, and I think Mary would have married Fred if he happened to be someone who had a reasonable job and common interests.:)

Jaques D.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:56 PM
Nobility

This is the kind of thing we will spend our whole lives guessing about and never know the answer too. I hope they all married for love I don't think you should marry a crown prince for any other reason if you were to compare all the things you'd lose marring a crown prince as opposed to all the things you'd gain marrying one, It's only worth marring a crown prince if you love him.

Old 01-02-2006, 09:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Maybe we could turn the question around and wonder if some men would've married their respective royal wives if they weren't royal?

For example, from some of the suggestions put out by other members, would Margrethe and Henrik of Denmark's marriage been easier if Margrethe weren't the Queen and she would've simply been Mrs. Margrethe Monteparzat? (I've butched the spelling of his last name, I know; sorry.)

Or would Jamie de Marichalar and Inaki Urdangarin have married the Spanish Infantas?

Here is an obvious one: Would Edwin have married Princess Margarita if it weren't for her title? (A big fat, emphatic NO to that one!)

Or maybe would certain royal relationships/marriages have worked out if one partner wasn't royal? Such as Princess Margaret of Great Britain's marriage to Lord Snowdon or Princess Anne's marriage to Captain Phillips.

In a present-case scenario, perhaps Victoria of Sweden's relationship with Daniel Westling would be easier on him (them) if she weren't to be queen one day.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:28 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Good point Alexandria.

I know Lord Mountbatten was pushing Prince Philip to marry a wealthy woman because he was rather penniless. I'm sure the Queen and Prince Philip are happy now but I wonder if she had been a mere Elizabeth Windsor with little money would he have gone ahead and married her.

What I'd like to know is whether Prince Pavlos would have married Marie-Chantal if she hadn't been incredibly wealthy.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:21 PM
Courtier

What ifs open up a lot more questions, if Crown Prince Frederick was a commenor could he afford a long distance relationship with Mary (would he even be able to afford a trip to the Olympics) Would Prince Philip ever meet Elizabeth Windsor (though I do think if at the time she was still Princess Elizabeth of York and Uncle David was still the King with an heir, Philip still would have married her)
Old 01-02-2006, 11:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppie
What ifs open up a lot more questions, if Crown Prince Frederick was a commenor could he afford a long distance relationship with Mary (would he even be able to afford a trip to the Olympics) Would Prince Philip ever meet Elizabeth Windsor (though I do think if at the time she was still Princess Elizabeth of York and Uncle David was still the King with an heir, Philip still would have married her)
In today's digital age, long distance relationships are much easier. If a commoner were to fall in love with a royal and choose to marry that person with the determination to make the relationship work, s/he would have to truly love the other person for the person s/he is and wants to be not in spite of the royal title or because of it. You love that person because of his/her sense of duty, sense of purpose...and you have to be supportive of those things and understand that sometimes (perhaps often) you are not the highest priority in his/her life. It's not as if anyone who marries a royal has any greater sense of selflessness in a relationship, but it's understanding that dedication to duty as part of the reason of why s/he fell in love with him/her.

I hope that makes sense...I think I may have bungled the meaning a bit.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:42 AM
Heir Apparent

well, I for starters think that Claus would have married Beatrix whether she was a princess or not, I don't believe that Jaime would have married Elena if she wasn't the King's daughter, Iñaki would have married Cristina even if she was a (put a profession here), Henrik has had a lot of problems adapting to the court so he would still have gotten married Margrethe even if she wasn't going to become queen, Claire would never have looked at Laurent twice as Mabel and Laurentien either...
Old 01-03-2006, 12:28 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisiñaki
Claire would never have looked at Laurent twice as Mabel and Laurentien either...
With all due respect to Laurentien, She is the less attractive of the pair, She seems nice and really well grounded, but sometimes I contemplate what he saw in her as far as physical attraction? (I really like her personality, there is no malice in this question)

Back to the Danes, what about Alex and Joachim? She looked radiant at the announcement of marriage, what is said about them? The reason I'm asking, is because a couleague of mine who is Danish went to school with the Danish princes, and he said that they aint too smart!:o
Old 01-03-2006, 12:35 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim_lady
I agree too. When CP Frederik and CP Mary had first married I heard in a few stories that Mary had started taking etiquette classes a few weeks after they met which to me says she was preparing to be seen with him. Although I think the love between them is real now I think that Mary might have been pulled in by Frederik not just by his personality but also because he was royalty. But Mary isn't a bad person. I mean who here wouldn't just love to be with a royal?
Not etiquette lessons, I think self imaging, or "how to get what you aim for" etc. There has been speculation why she did it, or when she did before or after she met Fredrick, whilst they had a transatlantic relationship, whatever the case they truly seem be happy!
Old 01-03-2006, 12:37 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaques Demolay
auntie

Does it have to be a brick layer?? Can it be a marketing manager for a Danish firm?? Or something similar. These poor bricklayers get dragged into every debate about preferences.
BTW I am not a bricklayer, and I think Mary would have married Fred if he happened to be someone who had a reasonable job and common interests.:)

Jaques D.
Quite right, I had no right to be offensive, could be a bank clerk, Laywer, computer technician and so forth
Old 01-03-2006, 01:19 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
The reason I'm asking, is because a couleague of mine who is Danish went to school with the Danish princes, and he said that they aint too smart!:o
It's difficult to judge how 'smart' people are based on their school days. Those I went to school with and considered smart were not necessarily the ones who got the best or most lengthy educations.
Besides, Frederik is undoubtedly 'people smart' - many people really like him. And that is an important type of intelligence for a future regent :)

Old 01-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:

Back to the Danes, what about Alex and Joachim? She looked radiant at the announcement of marriage, what is said about them? The reason I'm asking, is because a couleague of mine who is Danish went to school with the Danish princes, and he said that they aint too smart!:o
Joachim may not be smart but he is very good looking. :)
Old 01-03-2006, 01:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Joachim may not be smart but he is very good looking. :)
What ??? I don´t like the looks of Prince Joachim...He looks like he is sooooo snobish and that he is looking down to me as an ordinary Dane. He migth be Prince of Denmark and heir to the crown BUT i still much more like CP Frederik.

Old 01-03-2006, 01:57 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I think they're both good looking but they are very different princes as you say. I don't know about the snobbish bit; I haven't seen enough of Joachim to make a judgment.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
With all due respect to Laurentien, She is the less attractive of the pair, She seems nice and really well grounded, but sometimes I contemplate what he saw in her as far as physical attraction? (I really like her personality, there is no makice in this question)
Lol, the old adage about beauty and the eye of the beholder is so very true! I find Laurentien the most attractive of all those mentioned and several not mentioned. :)
Old 01-03-2006, 03:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahc4
Lol, the old adage about beauty and the eye of the beholder is so very true! I find Laurentien the most attractive of all those mentioned and several not mentioned. :)
I agree. I find Mabel so hideous I can barely stand to look at her. (the clothes dont help her much either) Laurentien is not as pretty as Maxima but she's certainly nice looking and of course her warmth and intelligence make it impossible not to love her.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:16 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane

It's difficult to judge how 'smart' people are based on their school days. Those I went to school with and considered smart were not necessarily the ones who got the best or most lengthy educations.
Besides, Frederik is undoubtedly 'people smart' - many people really like him. And that is an important type of intelligence for a future regent :)

I'm not talking about primary school(younger years) He went to school with them in their older years, and yes you are right, people smart is important!
Old 01-03-2006, 09:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklady1991
In today's digital age, long distance relationships are much easier. If a commoner were to fall in love with a royal and choose to marry that person with the determination to make the relationship work, s/he would have to truly love the other person for the person s/he is and wants to be not in spite of the royal title or because of it. You love that person because of his/her sense of duty, sense of purpose...and you have to be supportive of those things and understand that sometimes (perhaps often) you are not the highest priority in his/her life. It's not as if anyone who marries a royal has any greater sense of selflessness in a relationship, but it's understanding that dedication to duty as part of the reason of why s/he fell in love with him/her.

I hope that makes sense...I think I may have bungled the meaning a bit.
I think you make lots of wonderful comments pinklady1991! And I don't think you've bungled anything!

I think that our modern-day princes and princesses have chosen to marry their respective partners not for the greater titles they can offer but because they truly love them. The desire by royal courts for royals to marry other royals may still exist in some small way, but there is certainly less pressure and less of a stigma to marry a commoner. We have had some wonderful recent examples of commoners making wonderful monarchs/royals -- Silvia of Sweden, Sonja of Norway, Claus and Maxima of the Netherlands, Noor of Jordan, to name just a few.

Some royals have potentially jeopoardized their monarchies in choosing the commoner partners they did -- consider the scanda and "outrage" and level of debate when Haakon chose to marry Mette-Marit or when Felipe chose to marry Letizia. Both couples have proven that love can conquer above duty!
Old 01-03-2006, 10:01 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Who wouldn't have married Felipe? even if he wasn't a prince, he's awesome
I couldn't agree more here... who could resist such a handsome, kind, cultured and intelligent man?
Quote:
Iñaki would have married Cristina even if she was a (put a profession here)
Agree. They're soul mates :)
Old 01-03-2006, 11:05 PM
Courtier

I actually believe that there are a couple of the crown princesses that married their guy in spite of the fact that they were princes--not at all because.