The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #241  
Old 07-02-2010, 02:52 AM
agogo's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: côte d'océan Pacifique, United States
Posts: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
^^^ I think it would be very hard to marry any of these men just for the money, prestige and titles. I can't imagine giving up my freedom and privacy and my future children's freedom and privacy for money and titles. They can't even go on vacations without being followed and look at how much they picked on for what they wear and how their hair looks or they're too thin? There's to many things attached to a prince to marry him for his bank account and title.
Palace politics, antique protocol and noses-up-in-the-air palace staff would be enough to have me running away from a prince.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #242  
Old 07-02-2010, 04:24 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
^^^ I think it would be very hard to marry any of these men just for the money, prestige and titles. I can't imagine giving up my freedom and privacy and my future children's freedom and privacy for money and titles. They can't even go on vacations without being followed and look at how much they picked on for what they wear and how their hair looks or they're too thin? There's to many things attached to a prince to marry him for his bank account and title.
I whole heartedly agree with you.
You would have to marry for love to put up with everything that comes with the title.
__________________

__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #243  
Old 07-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Lighthouse's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 383
Question

I hate to throw a wet towel over what may indeed be true love but I'm a little pessimistic and even suspicious when the women who marry crown princes are typically stunners. I think the title is an aphrodisiac to many women and the crown princes don't much mind as long as they get the trophy bride.
__________________
Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.
- Mark Twain
Reply With Quote
  #244  
Old 07-04-2010, 03:01 AM
agogo's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: côte d'océan Pacifique, United States
Posts: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
I hate to throw a wet towel over what may indeed be true love but I'm a little pessimistic and even suspicious when the women who marry crown princes are typically stunners. I think the title is an aphrodisiac to many women and the crown princes don't much mind as long as they get the trophy bride.
Money, power, fame, titles, palaces, private jets, servants,fleets of cars, polo ponies, private yachts, family private art galleries, family jewels, luxury homes all around the world - all make a man more attractive. The courship is a dream, the marriage turns out to be work. There are marriages that don't require so much work and turn out to be a dream. And you don't need all of the above.
Reply With Quote
  #245  
Old 07-04-2010, 04:32 AM
Naggi's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dusseldorf, Germany
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Lets start with Camilla. She didnt want to marry Charles for well known reasons. One of them is that she never ever had any desire to perform the enourmous duties of a british consort what often shows today.

Letizia is the opposite. I believe she was much more charmed with the perspective of a guaranteed professional career than with Felipe himself. While she did have a career of her own, in television things can be very shortlived. Queen consort is a job for life, attention included. In her engagement interviews she stressed the importance of the "project" she would be part of from now on and her desire of working as Queen someday. Unfortunately, reality is not for modern women in casareal and these days she looks empty and desillusioned by the way the institution turned out to be.

Mary & Maxima were certainly charmed by the royal lifestyle and attention, it suits their personalities and they managed to be comfortable in their roles including the working part and the fluffy part. I dont think they would have married their husbands without the royal title and what goes with it but nevertheless both marriages seem to be good matches.

MM and Daniel are the only two I believe have married their partners DESPITE being royals. Both had to embarrass themselves (druggie past, fitness instructor) and were subject to lots of polemic. They certainly married for love only but if that's enough in the long run only time will tell.

Mathilde was noble therefore a wedding to Philippe came quite natural.

Duke of Marmalade, this is a very well done observation. I could agree no more.

I think from all the princesses Letizia must be the most disappointed one. She must have been very enthusiastic before her marriage and come back to a hard reality after getting her royal title after realizing she can't change or have an impact on what is so steady since centuries. From the career perspective before marriage Letizia was probably the most ambitious of the crown princesses. Being used to work very hard work I would say that she is also the hardest working crown princess with many engagements to handle with. But the most of these engagements are restricted to shaking hands or cutting ribbons or presenting prizes. That may be enough for the less career concerned crown princesses but not for Letizia who as a journalist she was used to stating her opinion or expressing criticism with regards to certain matters. Eventually I think for her just looking good, always smiling and producing royal children is actually not a dream job. She wanted more and after realizing that her new job for life would not offer her any other possibilities she started to get sad. You can see it in her weight lost I think that she is not that happy any more. At least you can see that she and her husband love each other. So she married also for love that makes everything easier for her. Let us hope that both will be able to keep their love above their duties and they will have a real chance.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #246  
Old 07-10-2010, 05:49 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St Helens, United Kingdom
Posts: 294
Had Charles and Diana not been who they were, they would almost certainly never have got married in the first place for these reasons:

Charles was next in line to the throne and so his bride had to be Church of England and a virgin.

Diana was born into a family with generations of royal service behind them, and she had known the royal family since she was a child so their lives and ways were familiar to her. Her grandmother, Ruth, Lady Fermoy was the Queen Mother's best friend.

Diana was a virgin and in communion with the Church of England so she fitted the bill.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #247  
Old 07-10-2010, 05:10 PM
auntie's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Middlesex, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Lets start with Camilla. She didnt want to marry Charles for well known reasons. One of them is that she never ever had any desire to perform the enourmous duties of a british consort what often shows today.

Letizia is the opposite. I believe she was much more charmed with the perspective of a guaranteed professional career than with Felipe himself. While she did have a career of her own, in television things can be very shortlived. Queen consort is a job for life, attention included. In her engagement interviews she stressed the importance of the "project" she would be part of from now on and her desire of working as Queen someday. Unfortunately, reality is not for modern women in casareal and these days she looks empty and desillusioned by the way the institution turned out to be.

Mary & Maxima were certainly charmed by the royal lifestyle and attention, it suits their personalities and they managed to be comfortable in their roles including the working part and the fluffy part. I dont think they would have married their husbands without the royal title and what goes with it but nevertheless both marriages seem to be good matches.

MM and Daniel are the only two I believe have married their partners DESPITE being royals. Both had to embarrass themselves (druggie past, fitness instructor) and were subject to lots of polemic. They certainly married for love only but if that's enough in the long run only time will tell.

Mathilde was noble therefore a wedding to Philippe came quite natural.
DOM, you voice my opinions down to the core. yet I always get bashed somehow.
Regarding the new marriages in the Jordanian RF Sarah Kabbani to PFaisal, and the athlete to Prince Hassan's son, does anyone have an opinion or inside knowledge? I for one think that SaraK would have never married Faisal had he not been who he is...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #248  
Old 07-11-2010, 07:32 AM
MARG's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 4,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Lets start with Camilla. She didnt want to marry Charles for well known reasons. One of them is that she never ever had any desire to perform the enourmous duties of a british consort what often shows today.
Whilst I agree with most of your guestimations in part, I wonder what the source of the above quote is?
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #249  
Old 07-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 8,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Whilst I agree with most of your guestimations in part, I wonder what the source of the above quote is?
Its not a quote but my assumption that Camilla was always more comfortable as mistress what isnt unusual at all in these circles. She is rather a background person, never keen to marry Charles in the first place and perform duties under the microscope of the world media.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #250  
Old 07-12-2010, 04:42 PM
auntie's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Middlesex, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
DOM, you voice my opinions down to the core. yet I always get bashed somehow.
Regarding the new marriages in the Jordanian RF Sarah Kabbani to PFaisal, and the athlete to Prince Hassan's son, does anyone have an opinion or inside knowledge? I for one think that SaraK would have never married Faisal had he notJ been who he is...
I ask again the Jordanians amongst us, and anyone for that reason, what is your opinion regarding Zeina Saban and Sara Kabbani, would they have married their princes had they not been a HRH?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #251  
Old 07-14-2010, 12:11 PM
auntie's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Middlesex, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
I ask again the Jordanians amongst us, and anyone for that reason, what is your opinion regarding Zeina Saban and Sara Kabbani, would they have married their princes had they not been a HRH?
ANYONE? ANYONE?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #252  
Old 07-25-2010, 08:33 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Liverpool, United Kingdom
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Helvin View Post

Diana was a virgin and in communion with the Church of England so she fitted the bill.
How do you know Diana was a virgin, Catherine Helvin? I find this assumption fanciful to say the least, given her later peccadilloes for out of marriage sex with, shall we say, less than acceptable men.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #253  
Old 07-26-2010, 02:34 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Train Driver View Post
How do you know Diana was a virgin, Catherine Helvin? I find this assumption fanciful to say the least, given her later peccadilloes for out of marriage sex with, shall we say, less than acceptable men.
When she married the Prince she was 20, it's been widely known for some time that Diana was chosen because she was a virgin. No one will ever know the real truth, other than Charles and possible her sisters.
What does her out of sex marriage in later life have anything to do with her virginity before? You can see from the stories and the pictures what kind of girl she was before her marriage, not one to go around sleeping with every man in town.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #254  
Old 07-26-2010, 09:38 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 615
I am just going to talk about Mary, because she is Australian like me...I don't think she would have married Frederik if he WASN'T a royal...She even said herself that she wished he was Australian...maybe the attraction was sweetened by the perks and the attention and the ease of things and the constant getaways...And you have to ask, if Frederik wasn't royal, the onus then would not be on Mary to move to Denmark and renounce her Australian citizenship, Fred the non-royal, could have very well migrated to Australia...

I, of course think they are in love NOW because Mary has a good and easy life, lots of opportunities for romance, two beautiful children with this man, Australian relatives close by to lend support but would it have been the same if Frederik was not royal? Probably not, she may have got homesick and tired of it all and left him already, but because the pros outweigh the cons, she has to make it work for her and for her marriage...More is at stake now than if he were a commoner...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #255  
Old 07-27-2010, 03:03 AM
auntie's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Middlesex, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNotherThing View Post
I am just going to talk about Mary, because she is Australian like me...I don't think she would have married Frederik if he WASN'T a royal...She even said herself that she wished he was Australian...maybe the attraction was sweetened by the perks and the attention and the ease of things and the constant getaways...And you have to ask, if Frederik wasn't royal, the onus then would not be on Mary to move to Denmark and renounce her Australian citizenship, Fred the non-royal, could have very well migrated to Australia...

I, of course think they are in love NOW because Mary has a good and easy life, lots of opportunities for romance, two beautiful children with this man, Australian relatives close by to lend support but would it have been the same if Frederik was not royal? Probably not, she may have got homesick and tired of it all and left him already, but because the pros outweigh the cons, she has to make it work for her and for her marriage...More is at stake now than if he were a commoner...
Ver acuurate observation!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #256  
Old 07-27-2010, 03:47 PM
Naggi's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dusseldorf, Germany
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
Ver acuurate observation!
I agree to this observation. I don't doubt that both love each other but the fact that Frederik was a prince might definitely made it easier for Mary to fall in love with him.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #257  
Old 07-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 10,378
How does any know this? Did Mary date a regular joe and as soon as she met Frederick she dumped him?
__________________
.

Reply With Quote
  #258  
Old 07-27-2010, 05:00 PM
auntie's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Middlesex, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
How does any know this? Did Mary date a regular joe and as soon as she met Frederick she dumped him?
The answer is ...no (as you know being a super moderator on the forum) Much written in this forum is specualtion, peoples gut feelings, info based on quotes and history of the new royal. I personally admire most of the Crown Princesses and the way they work hard and integrated to theeir role, yet believe that Maxima and Mary were looking for "winners" to marry, they wouldn't have married the 9-5 working man, and they did date highly succesful men prior being in a relationship with their princes.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #259  
Old 07-27-2010, 05:51 PM
KittyAtlanta's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: KittyLand Junction, United States
Posts: 3,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by polop View Post
I know a lot of people are going to diagree with me, but I don't think Camilla would've married Charles if wasn't a Prince. Right before their engagement became public, rumors were that she was getting tired of not attending state events with him, and wanted to be included as his wife AND as a ROYAL MEMBER.I think she would have NEVER married him, if he wasn't a prince. :)
Camilla was interested in Charles years and years ago. He wanted to marry her, but the request was denied. She was Catholic. Charles got shipped off for years, Camilla married someone else. What a different outcome it might have been had the Queen relented.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #260  
Old 07-27-2010, 11:11 PM
Leslie2006's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, United States
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by polop View Post
I know a lot of people are going to diagree with me, but I don't think Camilla would've married Charles if wasn't a Prince. Right before their engagement became public, rumors were that she was getting tired of not attending state events with him, and wanted to be included as his wife AND as a ROYAL MEMBER.I think she would have NEVER married him, if he wasn't a prince. :)

I have to disagree. She was with Charles a loooooong time - also they were encouraged by the Queen Mother to continue their affair after the wedding. And I believe Charles would've married Camilla instead of Diana in 1981 if he hadn't been a prince. I think Charles cared about Diana, but not in the way he should have, and in return, Diana truly loved him. The only reason Charles didn't marry Camilla is because he was Prince of Wales - the Queen wouldn't have allowed it because Camilla had had boyfriends in the past, just like with Princess Margaret - her relationship with Peter Townsend was cut short because he was divorced with two kids. Diana was a virgin, who came from noble blood without a "past", therefore she was considered "appropriate". The British Royal Family are one of the few monarchies, if not the only one, still living in the past in this way. It's quiet pathetic.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grand Duchesses Xenia (1875-1960) and Olga (1882-1960), sisters of Nicholas II Huddo The Imperial Family of Russia 115 11-21-2014 05:11 PM
Which royal couples should get married? polop Royal Chit Chat 48 08-04-2011 07:10 PM
Name Haakon And Mette-Marit's Baby Josefine Crown Prince Haakon & Crown Princess Mette-Marit and Family 139 01-24-2004 06:49 PM




Popular Tags
abdication belgium birth brussels carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events fashion germany grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan king carl xvi gustav king constantine ii king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympic games ottoman pieter van vollenhoven pregnancy president hollande prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince daniel prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess ariane princess astrid princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary queen anne-marie queen fabiola queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen silvia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague wedding



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:08 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]