The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Chit Chat

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-23-2012, 07:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Interesting question. Depends on the girl and the prince. It's not an easy job to take on and a girl who marries a prince, certainly one of William's place in the pecking order, should make damned sure she knows what she's getting herself into. It's not just a marriage they are taking on, but a lifetime job.

Sadly, I think some girls will be influenced by the wrong factors and say "yes" when the should say "no"; I think William's mother was one of them. I think there's a lot to be said for not allowing such a couple to marry until they have been together for at least five years. I'm sure Catherine married William for all the right reasons.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Aristocracy

I think I would say no. Even if I was very much in love. I think there are very few people truly suited to the lifestyle and I know I am not one of them.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:08 PM
Serene Highness

A prince is used to people saying yes to him and doing what he wants. I imagine it would take some of them aback if a woman said no to them as usually women don't say no to them. Some might actually find it intriguing that they were turned down and want to get the know the woman better.

Others would probably never talked to you again or consider you an enemy for doing so. I imagine some you wouldn't want to get on their bad side.
Of course it would depend on what he asked them to do. If it was a date to a movie, dinner or to an art gallery or concert , I wouldn't say no, even if I wasn't particularly attacted to him. Unless he was a real jerk (which I would say no), I would think most women would say yes, even if the guy was a jerk.

It's just a date. It's not everyday that someone like me (average American citizen) would be asked out on a date with a prince. I would be quite flattered in my younger days if any prince or royal asked me out on a date.

Then of course if the prince asked you to do something which you had a moral objection to or something that you didn't want to do, then it would be a problem. At that point I would said no and explain why. You would have the right to say no.

Of course if it was something serious like marriage, one would have to think about that. I think if you dated a royal for several years, you would know if you were suited to the lifestyle of royalty. If you aren't, then saying no to marriage would be the best thing in the long run.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:15 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I can answer for myself only, but I would never say yes to a Prince. Even if I were madly in love with him, as long as the Prince in question had even moderately high profile, I would never agree to date/marry him. Privacy is immensely important for me and living in public eye would have been simply impossible.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:22 PM
Serene Highness

I suppose at first it would be flattering to be the center of attention or having you picture taken all the time, but then it gets very old. Sometimes you just want to be left alone. Privacy is very difficult when you are in a relationship with a Prince.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes. A jerk is a jerk and a nice guy is a nice guy no matter what their parents do. And in this case, what the parents do makes things even harder - because you have to spend your life making nice face to everyone while your spouse is a jerk.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Courtier

For me, the prospect of taking on royal life would be a major drawback of a potential relationship. I don't know if I'd give up a truly good person I was in love with who happened to be a prince, but I'd be saying 'yes' in spite of him being royal, not because of it. The lack of privacy for myself and my family, including any potential children, the increasingly limited contact with "normal" sections of society as you get nearer the throne , and, finally, just the overall tedious nature of the work they do would be all be things I'd have difficulty with.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine J View Post
I think I would say no. Even if I was very much in love. I think there are very few people truly suited to the lifestyle and I know I am not one of them.
Me too. I can't even imagine living the life they lead- I'd go crazy.

I actually do believe what Prince Harry was saying in the interview where he talked about having a hard time finding someone who he could have a good relationship with who was willing to take on the job.

He's always going to be a high profile member of the royal family, and it takes a special woman, like Kate, to be willing to step into that role.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:44 PM
Serene Highness

I would have a very hard time not saying something about things which I have strong opinions about which would get me into trouble. Sometimes I'm opinionated and have said what I think which I know will get you into trouble if you marry a royal or are a royal or if you were dating a royal. You're supposed to be a bland person who shows no emotion and doesn't say controversial things or talk about them. For me that would be very difficult.

No doubt if I was dating a prince, his family would tell him not to marry me especially if they were very conservative or if the country was very conservative. Let's just say my opinions wouldn't go over very well and there would be conflict because of it. Even if a more progressive country, I would still be a problem.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
No matter what the situation would be, if something came up and I felt I had to say no to a Prince. I would. For the main reason being that this person is not Prince. His title is Prince. It would be different if I was in his employ where it was my job to carry out orders and duties for this person, but on a personal level, there is no reason on Earth I would feel I had to respond with a yes just because he asked.

If it was a question of a personal relationship or even a marriage proposal, I don't believe I'd be saying yes or no to a Prince but an actual person that I've come to see as his own person outside of a royal title. I totally believe that when William proposed to Kate, she answered yes to William the man and not Prince William of Wales.

There's an old saying one has to kiss a lot of frogs before they turn into their prince. What some tend to forget is that even though they've morphed into a prince, they still are frogs by nature. Warts and all.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think it is naive and juvenile to think a woman wouldn't say no to a man whose first name is Prince. I assumed that in this day and age as women few up they understood that Cinderella is a fairy tale; and there are some girls who realize that for whT it is. There are some who fall in love with the idea of being a Princess, Diana for example, but others who realize it's no fairy tale, I believe Elizabeth Bowes Lyon falls into that category.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 09-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Would she say yes to him if he was not a prince? Is his being a prince the primary attraction?
Old 09-23-2012, 10:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Would she say yes to him if he was not a prince? Is his being a prince the primary attraction?
I think it would all depend on where her head is at and what her priorities are. If she's geared to believe that she should "advance" herself by marrying into money or power or prestige, I think the title of Prince would be a huge attraction and would say yes even if he had 3 eyes, one tooth and 6 toes on each foot. If she was looking for a loving, steady relationship with someone, after the initial meeting and getting to know the guy, that would be how she responded to him. If it was the right guy, she'd fall in love and say yes to him whether he was a prince or a potato peeler.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:56 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Depends if she finds him attractive. If she doesn't then she will say no.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:31 AM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Depends a lot on the prince and the circumstances, in my opinion. If that prince should, for example, happen to be Hisahito of Japan (some time in the future, of course), I´d strongly recommend the girl to run as fast as she can, and preferably before she would have had the time to fall for him. Even if it should be too late for that, though, I´d really advise her to prefer a short heartbreak over a long misery.

Edit: I have come to notice just know that this is in the British forum. If you should have had but princes from the British royalty in mind when you asked your question, I am sorry for having been OT.

(Following recent incidents, I would like to refer anybody who may think the emperor´s statement obvious or redundant to this thread, post #682.)
Old 09-24-2012, 04:58 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't understand this question.

There are all sorts of reasons why a girl should say no to a man. Whether he is a prince or not.

I think it would make more sense if you turned the question around: Why would a girl say yes to a prince?
Old 09-24-2012, 05:16 AM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
[...] Why would a girl say yes to a prince?
Ermmm, let me see... - maybe because she does not know the difference between being a princess in a fairy tale and being a princess in real life?

(Following recent incidents, I would like to refer anybody who may think the emperor´s statement obvious or redundant to this thread, post #682.)
Old 09-24-2012, 08:33 AM
Heir Apparent

I think I would split in two extreme cases :

- would a girl say no to a prince, who has no other attraction point for her, than to be a Prince,
- would a girl say no to a man she likes and loves, but she gives up to him, only because she is a Prince
In two words, "being a Prince" can work as a sole negative or positive pont?
Old 09-24-2012, 09:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think nowadays it (the title) has more negatives than positives. Sure, she would have a life of wealth, of deference, of all sorts of perks, be waited on hand and foot, be lavished with all sorts of gifts.

BUT- on the downside, she'd live her life in a fishbowl, subject to savage criticism from strangers on her family, her looks, her clothes, her personality, her friends, etc.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:31 AM
Courtier

Nice question but I mostly adore the answers! Yes, most of us would say no if he was not attractive to us or because he behaves badly etc.

Tags
kate middleton, kate middleton wedding, prince philip, prince william, queen elizabeth