The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Chit Chat

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-15-2012, 07:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Philip married for position and money. His title was worthless. But, he cares for Elizabeth and he is loyal to the idea of monarchy and to her. He just had hoped, early on, that he would have more time, before she became queen. His outside affairs, have been very discreet. He needed stability, but he also wanted the "good stuff", too.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
. His outside affairs, have been very discreet.
So discreet in fact that they have never been proven. Sarah Bradford, the biographer, who once claimed he had had affairs now says that she was wrong.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:50 AM
Heir Apparent

It is a source of major irritation for me that such spurious claims can be made on an "off topic" thread which largely cuts the right of reply. I know many "journalists" have made allusions over the last few decades but strangely enough, in all these years of marriage, not one itty bitty love note let alone letter have surfaced.

Hmm. Could it be that it is because there aren't any? Could it be that he has had a very full life and whilst Elizabeth was head of the Country, he was head of the house and ruled in the same manner that Albert did in the time of Victoria.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Lets stay on topic and cut the speculative discussion on "affairs" that haven't been proven.

Any and all speculative posts will be deleted without notice.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:36 PM
Aristocracy

I think Catherine wouldn't have been married William if he wasn't a prince. And also the same with Charles, if Diana wasn't a daughter of an Earl.
Maybe Andrew and Sarah, too. I am not sure.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by imojeen View Post
I think Catherine wouldn't have been married William if he wasn't a prince. And also the same with Charles, if Diana wasn't a daughter of an Earl.
Maybe Andrew and Sarah, too. I am not sure.
I think Kate would have still married William if he were not a Prince but a noble, aristocrat, or just someone who has achieved something in his life. If he were a jobless, penniless person, or even someone on low to medium income - then probably no.

I agree about Charles and Diana, but I also find it extremely unlikely Diana would have ever married Charles if he weren't the Prince of Wales; I doubt she ever loved the man she dated and married - just the Prince from her dreams.

Andrew and Sarah would have probably married anyway.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Actually I doubt Sarah would have married Lt Andrew Windsor. He might have fallen in love with her but I think she fell in love with a prince.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:09 PM
Aristocracy

Isn't this the Would he have married her thread?
Old 05-20-2012, 04:11 PM
Aristocracy

And we said "no" to the question.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:17 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tihkon2 View Post
Isn't this the Would he have married her thread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by imojeen View Post
And we said "no" to the question.
This is the He marrying her thread, so any ideas as to whether to woman would have married the Prince can be found in this thread;

Would she have married him?

For instance would Catherine have married William, would Diana have married Charles etc...
Old 05-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Aristocracy

you should integrate the two forums and make it one forum, I think =)
Old 05-20-2012, 04:45 PM
Aristocracy

I don't think that Juan Carlos would have married Sofia, I see him dating "a la carte" for 10 or more years longer than his position allowed him.

Charles would have married Camilla, or at least would have proposed to her.

Johannes von Thurn and Taxis would not have married Gloria if not for producing a heir. He was already 54 when his oldest daughter was born. Countless people, even Andy Warhol and of course Gloria herself had interesting things to say about his sexual preferences. I'm not saying that he did not learn to love Gloria, love was just not the reason he married her.

I doubt that Prince Rainier would have married Grace Kelly if not for her image and fame. They did not even know each other well when they married.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:50 PM
Aristocracy

I agree with you about Juan Carlos and Charles but I am not sure about Rainier.
Suppose that Grace wasn't an actress. She was Catholic, beautiful, from a wealthy family, young for giving an heir. I think all the things were suitable to marry her.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Things were much different in the 50's and 60's with Royalty. They had to marry to provide heirs (Rainier and Grace being an example), many of the men (and women) did not have much of a choice. They all likely grew to love one another, perhaps just not as passionately as they would have liked.

I think Charles would have still married Camilla, it just would have happened much sooner as he would not have had to marry Diana.

Daniel would have definitely married Victoria, they are a lovely couple and so passionately in love. They do not care about the cameras following them etc. Daniel would have married her no matter who she was, or who her family were.

Would Andrew have married Sarah? I am not so sure. I think perhaps he would have, I just do not think he would have done it as quickly as they did. Then again, I don't think Sarah would have really married Andrew if he were not a Prince. I believe she was and still is quite a shallow individual who LOVED the attention. (I know, wrong thread sorry!)

Would Edward have married Sophie? I'd like to think he would have, and I do think he would have considering how long they were together prior to marriage. I do not think he would have waited so long to propose if he were not in the Royal family as he would have known there would have been less pressure on his wife. I believe their relationship is a love match, though being a Prince would definitely have swung Sophie a bit. (You can't deny it, if your boyfriend were a Prince you would think all your dreams had come true.)

I think King Carl Gustav would have married Silvia, they are beyond words adorable. When he gave her that rose at Daniel and Victoria's wedding my heart melted!
Old 09-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Commoner

Would any girl say "no" to a prince?

I am very curious about this. Here is a hypothetical question:
Two young people meet at an elite private school. They are all rich and in that sense somewhat equal, but one of them is royalty. Would any girl say "no" to a prince?
Old 09-23-2012, 06:09 PM
Commoner

Would any girl say "no" to a prince?

Two young people meet at an elite private school. They are all rich and in that sense somewhat equal, but one of them is royalty. Would any girl say "no" to a prince?
Old 09-23-2012, 06:12 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicmil Crowns View Post
I personally don't think it is all its cracked up to be. If 2 people are in love and one is a prince, a la Catherine and William that's one thing but for any girl seeking a 'glamorous' life , a prince is not the way to go. (I'm a guy but that's my opinion lol)
Old 09-23-2012, 06:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Apparently a few women said no to Prince Charles. Also Elizabeth Bowed Lyon said no to Prince Albert 2x before finally saying yes. And I have heard that one reason Chelsea and Harry broke up was because she wasn't willing to deal with the lifestyle. Princess Masako also said no and only said yes reluctantly.
So yes various woman would and have said no to a Prince.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 09-23-2012, 06:24 PM
Serene Highness

That's why I always laugh when some people say that Catherine only married William for a title. HRH has committed herself to a life of public service to the people of the United Kingdom and the realms.
If HRH was looking for an 'easy life' and a title, she could have married any multi-millionaire earl or duke and lived a very comfortable and stress free life.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Serene Highness

Yes perhaps to one who was cultured, handsome, and kind; no to one who was boorish and anti-intellectual, no matter how physically attractive he might be.

Same as vetting any prospective date or fiancee. Would never marry a prince because he was a prince.

Tags
kate middleton, kate middleton wedding, prince philip, prince william, queen elizabeth