The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Chit Chat

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I think that's one of the main points, Rainier married her so he could show her off as his trophy, he may have grown to love her afterwards.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimene View Post
Ranier and Grace (is she hadn't been an actress): I also think Ranier was the one with the most to gain. And most men, especially of that generation, would marry Grace for her beauty alone because she was the perfect trophy.
I think both benefitted from each other - Rainier got his trophy and attention magnet for Monaco and she got her title. America doesnt have royalty therefore for Grace becoming a princess in Europe (even though "only" in Monaco) was transferring her into the ultimate icon. She may have been top actress of the time but Rainier guaranteed lifelong status and attention. She avoided the downfall in Hollywood that most likely would have come with age and her not so suitable way of life (affairs with film partners, some were married) became more or less a non-topic. As Holy Grace with marriage she became untouchable. I think with years passing by they kind of loved each other in the end.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Courtier

^I would not disagree with your assessment. However, on the subject of her not so suitable way of life, Spencer Tracey and Warren Beatty did not seem to have any problem, but that's a whole other story.

I think she made the choice, as you say, to get the title, but in later years she lived with a little regret. And I agree Rainier and Grace learned to love each other over time. Life is not a fairytale even for princesses I'm afraid.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:39 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2rhyme View Post
The American Film Institute named her the 13th greatest actress of all time. That's pretty great being that Streep didn't even make the top 20.
To have qualified for that list, the actor had to have made his film debut before 1950 or had died already. Thus many great actors whom we know today (Meryl Streep, Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts, Robert DeNiro, etc) weren't on the list and weren't intended to be.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Courtier

Daniel and Victoria (if she wasn't the crown princess): YES
[But Daniel (and MM) marrying DESPITE the royal title: NEVER EVER ]

Henrik and Margrethe (if she wasn't the crown princess): YES
[The same goes for Claus and Beatrix]

Philip and Elizabeth (if she wasn't the heiress apparent): NO

Constantine and Anne-Marie (if she wasn't a Danish princess): NO (but I think it was also a love match)

Juan Carlos and Sofia (if she wasn't a Greek princess): NO

Pavlos and Marie Chantal (if she wasn't as wealthy as she is): Not sure (there were more wealthy women in the world and they have 5 kids)

Ranier and Grace (if she hadn't been an actress): If she hadn't been famous and beautiful: NO (but I think he could have done without the "actress")

Antony and Margaret (if she wasn't the Queen's sister): Not sure but tend to NO (she was spoiled)
Old 08-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
To have qualified for that list, the actor had to have made his film debut before 1950 or had died already. Thus many great actors whom we know today (Meryl Streep, Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts, Robert DeNiro, etc) weren't on the list and weren't intended to be.
This is really off topic, but that stuff is very subjective anyway. I could never regard Julia Roberts as good actress, let alone a great one. I agree with your other choices, however.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda View Post
Constantine and Anne-Marie (if she wasn't a Danish princess): NO (but I think it was also a love match)
I'm glad you expressed this opinion. Constantine and Anne-Marie married four years before King Harald V threw tradition out the window and married a commoner. He might have wanted to marry her, but being able to marry a non-royal is another thing all together.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Commoner

I think that with Pavlos and Marie-Chantal, its a case of that their circumstances led them to meet and realize that they were a good match. If he wasn't a prince, and if she wasn't an heiress they never would have met.

Elizabeth would have wanted to marry Philip even if her uncle was still king with or without heirs, and I think that Philip does love her but hes not the most demonstrative of people, so its hard to get a read.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by amedea View Post
Philip and Elizabeth (if she wasn't the heiress apparent): I think he wouldn't have married her, he wanted a secure and high profile position.
I honestly think that there were other factors like the fact that she was from a war stable family with financial security, and part of a reigning monarchy, he probably would have married her had she been "only" Princess E of York
Old 08-09-2010, 12:40 AM
Courtier

Daniel and Victoria: yes, definitely - I think he would have preferred her not to be a princess!

Henrik and Margrethe: yes, whatever his flaws they do seem to be very much in love, and as someone said I don't think as a diplomat he was all that starstruck by royalty

Claus and Beatrix: absolutely

Philip and Elizabeth: yes

Constantine and Anne-Marie: no - if he were all that in love with her I don't think he would have had all those rumored affairs

Juan Carlos and Sofia: see above

Pavlos and Marie Chantal: doubt it
Old 08-09-2010, 01:21 AM
Serene Highness

I think grace was never able to become a great actor, because she became a princess so quick, and Rainer discouraged the playing of any of her movies.

Now about Pavlos and Marie-Chantal, he absolutely married her for money, I'm not saying it wasn't for love but if she was poor he would of walked away so quick she wouldn't of even realized it until he was gone.

I think Sofia and JC married for love because her mother Queen Federica discouraged the marriage because of the instability of the Spanish Monarchy.

Daniel definitely loves Victoria no doubt about it.

Philip, I'm sure he loved Elizabeth but the fact she would be queen helped a lot more, also his uncle Mountbatten essentially hooked them up and made sure Philip made it work, Philip is like Pavlos he loved her and loves what she had to offer.

Jaime definitely married Infanta Elena for her status, I bet he was expecting HRH but when he only got HE he was probably already contemplating divorce!

Constantine seems in love with Ann-Marie the way they act in all the interviews I've seen and in public, always holding hands, laughing, just acting like any normal couple proves that they are in love.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:50 AM
Courtier

I think jonc93's last point, about Constantine and Anne-Marie is interesting...because even without Grace, I thought that was something ALL royals were good at: ACTING...
Old 08-11-2010, 01:05 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNotherThing View Post
I think jonc93's last point, about Constantine and Anne-Marie is interesting...because even without Grace, I thought that was something ALL royals were good at: ACTING...
Well, yes I'm sure they could just be acting but I don't know I think if they didn't love each other they couldn't keep up the charade from 1964 until now. They went through A lot, being thrown into exile and a few days later she lost her baby, fighting for their home and goods, losing their citizenship, eventually losing their home, and through all this they've remained together and strong! When Queen Victoria Eugenia and King Afonso were exiled, they weren't able to stay together and eventually parted their ways, so Constantine & Ann-Marie have stood the test of time in my eyes, but that's just my opinion really.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

^ After all the things the Greek family went through and for Anne- Marie to stick around instead of leaving and running back to Denmark there has to be a lot of love between them. You don't go through what they went through and staying married through it all without loving each other.

Claus and Beatrix- DEFINITELY
Prince Phillip and Queen Elizabeth- DEFINITELY
Prince Henrik and Queen Margrethe- ABSOLUTELY

CP Pavlos and Marie Chantal- not sure... But I'm leaning towards no
Stefano Casiraghi and Princess Caroline- Yes- if he were still alive I think they'd still be married
King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia- Maybe
Old 08-11-2010, 09:27 AM
Courtier

Daniel and Victoria - Yes, definitely.
Henrik and Margrethe - Yes.
Philip and Elizabeth - Probably not.
Constantine and Anne-Marie - Yes.
Juan Carlos and Sofia - No.
Pavlos and Marie Chantal - Yes.
Ranier and Grace - No.
Antony and Margaret - Don't know much about them.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Royal Highness

I would like to add Prince Bernard and Queen Juliana: most definitely not!
Old 05-14-2012, 09:30 PM
Aristocracy

I was just digging around through some old threads when I found this one. I had completely forgotten about it!

Any new opinions on these couples?

Daniel and Victoria (if she wasn't the crown princess)
Henrik and Margrethe (if she wasn't the crown princess)
Philip and Elizabeth (if she wasn't the heiress apparent)
Constantine and Anne-Marie (if she wasn't a Danish princess)
Juan Carlos and Sofia (if she wasn't a Greek princess)
Pavlos and Marie Chantal (if she wasn't as wealthy as she is)
Ranier and Grace (is she hadn't been an actress)
Antony and Margaret (if she wasn't the Queen's sister)
Old 05-14-2012, 10:33 PM
Serene Highness

If Elizabeth were an American commoner from my home town, probably not.

If she were something other than the heir apparent, perhaps princess sister to the future Queen, then yes, I think he would have, had she thought it to be a good idea in the way that she obvious did. I think she's a pretty determined woman.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Philip and Elizabeth, 50/50. From the outside it looks like at least part of it was for her title. But Philip hasnt gained too much being married to the Queen of England. Money? Perhaps. A title? Nope he already had that.
Perhaps he longed for a real family and stability.
Also being an old school royal he was probably taught that marriages were business ventures. For whatever reason he married her it seems to have worked out for them and he is an asset to her and the family.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-14-2012, 11:52 PM

Philip and Elizabeth--I actually think he doesn't so much like being married to a reigning Queen. He is not a natural second fiddle. He didn't like to give up his naval career, clearly. I think he REALLY does not like being second fiddle to his son.
While Elizabeth was the one with the obvious 'crush' on him, he has always seemed to have a lot of tenderness and protectiveness for her. I think he's more wary of showing/having emotions and more distant--and no wonder, considering how he grew up! I think if she had another position (Lady Elizabeth, niece of King Edward) he would still definitely have married her, being that she clearly loved him so much and I think he would have grown to trust her and treasure way the way that he clearly has--and that there would not be some of the difficulties--the press wouldn't care about his being a 'curmudgeon' (not that I think he actually is) if he didn't have such a high profile position as her husband.
I think he gets misread a lot. Think of what people thought of him and Diana before those kind, fatherly letters came out.
I also think they are very sweet elderly couple and very romantic now in her diamond jubilee year.

Tags
kate middleton, kate middleton wedding, prince philip, prince william, queen elizabeth