Would They Have Married?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Letizia is into attention too but since she isnt given a similar platform to implement a profile of her own and the Spanish court cut back her personality she looks rather uncomfortable in her role - big misjudgement from that respect. Although I think that Letizia married Felipe partly for the guaranteed professional carreer opportunity he offered I doubt she would marry Felipe again, knowing what would happen to her life.

You couldn't of put it a better way! You can tell if she could go back in time, she may have either reconsidered the whole marriage, or waited a lot longer. Princess Letizia looks like a beaten woman - they have sucked the life out of a very intelligent woman. She looks depressed.

Daniel and Victoria: yes, definitely - I think he would have preferred her not to be a princess!

Henrik and Margrethe: yes, whatever his flaws they do seem to be very much in love, and as someone said I don't think as a diplomat he was all that starstruck by royalty

Claus and Beatrix: absolutely

Philip and Elizabeth: yes

Constantine and Anne-Marie: no - if he were all that in love with her I don't think he would have had all those rumored affairs :whistling:

Juan Carlos and Sofia: see above

Pavlos and Marie Chantal: doubt it

I think grace was never able to become a great actor, because she became a princess so quick, and Rainer discouraged the playing of any of her movies.

Now about Pavlos and Marie-Chantal, he absolutely married her for money, I'm not saying it wasn't for love but if she was poor he would of walked away so quick she wouldn't of even realized it until he was gone.

I think Sofia and JC married for love because her mother Queen Federica discouraged the marriage because of the instability of the Spanish Monarchy.

Daniel definitely loves Victoria no doubt about it.

Philip, I'm sure he loved Elizabeth but the fact she would be queen helped a lot more, also his uncle Mountbatten essentially hooked them up and made sure Philip made it work, Philip is like Pavlos he loved her and loves what she had to offer.

Jaime definitely married Infanta Elena for her status, I bet he was expecting HRH but when he only got HE he was probably already contemplating divorce!

Constantine seems in love with Ann-Marie the way they act in all the interviews I've seen and in public, always holding hands, laughing, just acting like any normal couple proves that they are in love.:in_love:

I think jonc93's last point, about Constantine and Anne-Marie is interesting...because even without Grace, I thought that was something ALL royals were good at: ACTING...

I think jonc93's last point, about Constantine and Anne-Marie is interesting...because even without Grace, I thought that was something ALL royals were good at: ACTING...

Well, yes I'm sure they could just be acting but I don't know I think if they didn't love each other they couldn't keep up the charade from 1964 until now. They went through A lot, being thrown into exile and a few days later she lost her baby, fighting for their home and goods, losing their citizenship, eventually losing their home, and through all this they've remained together and strong! When Queen Victoria Eugenia and King Afonso were exiled, they weren't able to stay together and eventually parted their ways, so Constantine & Ann-Marie have stood the test of time in my eyes, but that's just my opinion really.

^ After all the things the Greek family went through and for Anne- Marie to stick around instead of leaving and running back to Denmark there has to be a lot of love between them. You don't go through what they went through and staying married through it all without loving each other.

Claus and Beatrix- DEFINITELY
Prince Phillip and Queen Elizabeth- DEFINITELY
Prince Henrik and Queen Margrethe- ABSOLUTELY

CP Pavlos and Marie Chantal- not sure... But I'm leaning towards no
Stefano Casiraghi and Princess Caroline- Yes- if he were still alive I think they'd still be married
King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia- Maybe

Daniel and Victoria - Yes, definitely.
Henrik and Margrethe - Yes.
Philip and Elizabeth - Probably not.
Constantine and Anne-Marie - Yes.
Juan Carlos and Sofia - No.
Pavlos and Marie Chantal - Yes.
Ranier and Grace - No.
Antony and Margaret - Don't know much about them.

I would like to add Prince Bernard and Queen Juliana: most definitely not!

I was just digging around through some old threads when I found this one. I had completely forgotten about it!

Any new opinions on these couples?

Daniel and Victoria (if she wasn't the crown princess)
Henrik and Margrethe (if she wasn't the crown princess)
Philip and Elizabeth (if she wasn't the heiress apparent)
Constantine and Anne-Marie (if she wasn't a Danish princess)
Juan Carlos and Sofia (if she wasn't a Greek princess)
Pavlos and Marie Chantal (if she wasn't as wealthy as she is)
Ranier and Grace (is she hadn't been an actress)
Antony and Margaret (if she wasn't the Queen's sister)

If Elizabeth were an American commoner from my home town, probably not.

If she were something other than the heir apparent, perhaps princess sister to the future Queen, then yes, I think he would have, had she thought it to be a good idea in the way that she obvious did. I think she's a pretty determined woman.

Philip and Elizabeth, 50/50. From the outside it looks like at least part of it was for her title. But Philip hasnt gained too much being married to the Queen of England. Money? Perhaps. A title? Nope he already had that.
Perhaps he longed for a real family and stability.
Also being an old school royal he was probably taught that marriages were business ventures. For whatever reason he married her it seems to have worked out for them and he is an asset to her and the family.

Last edited:
Philip and Elizabeth--I actually think he doesn't so much like being married to a reigning Queen. He is not a natural second fiddle. He didn't like to give up his naval career, clearly. I think he REALLY does not like being second fiddle to his son.
While Elizabeth was the one with the obvious 'crush' on him, he has always seemed to have a lot of tenderness and protectiveness for her. I think he's more wary of showing/having emotions and more distant--and no wonder, considering how he grew up! I think if she had another position (Lady Elizabeth, niece of King Edward) he would still definitely have married her, being that she clearly loved him so much and I think he would have grown to trust her and treasure way the way that he clearly has--and that there would not be some of the difficulties--the press wouldn't care about his being a 'curmudgeon' (not that I think he actually is) if he didn't have such a high profile position as her husband.
I think he gets misread a lot. Think of what people thought of him and Diana before those kind, fatherly letters came out.
I also think they are very sweet elderly couple and very romantic now in her diamond jubilee year.

I was just digging around through some old threads when I found this one. I had completely forgotten about it!

If she had not been an actress brought to his palace by Paris Match they would never have met so no, they would never have married. Miss Grace Kelly of Philadelphia would never have met HSH The Prince of Monaco if she had stayed in Philly and been daddys weakest link. She probably would have married some nice local lawyer or executive and no one would ever have known she existed.

Where is the other thread asking would "she" have married "him"

Would Ari Behn have married princess Marha Louise had she not been royalty? Any opinions?

Would Ari Behn have married princess Marha Louise had she not been royalty? Any opinions?

I dont think so - Ari is all about testing boundaries or breaking rules or customs. I think it played a part for him that he as the wild taboo breaking author (as he likes to see himself) was breaking traditions when marrying a princess (but a wild or odd one suiting him, not a traditional one).

Daniel and Victoria - definitely yes. As far as I can see, that's a love match.
Henrik and Margrethe - I think so.

Philip and Elizabeth - unlikely if she were a commoner, but if just a noble or princess, then yes. Elizabeth was never Heiress Apparent though - just heiress presumptive.
Pavlos and Marie Chantal - no idea. Everyone appears to think the marriage was out of money concerns on his part, but from what I can see, they are genuinely happy.
Constantine and Anne-Marie - unlikely.

Antony and Margaret - no.
Juan Carlos and Sofia - no. I'm afraid I don't see this as a love match on any level.
Ranier and Grace - definitely no. Ranier needed to bring Hollywood glamour to Monaco, and Grace wasn't even the first start he set eyes on.

Last edited:
Daniel and Victoria - yes, regardless if she was royal, titled or commoner
Henrik and Margarethe - yes, her being royal or titled and possibly if her being commoner; Margarethe would have been a good spouse for a diplomat and Henrik would have loved to be the "head of the family"
Philip and Elizabeth - yes, her being royal or titled, not if her being commoner; I think Philip would have liked to continue his naval career and a wife who was a minor royal or the daughter of a titled family would have been a suitable spouse for him career-wise (and he would have loved to be "the head of the family")
Constantine and Anne-Marie - yes, if she had some kind of (German) royal title, no if only titled or a commoner; queen Frederica would never have accepted a non-royal daugher-in-law and regardless how much Constantine loved Anne-Marie I doubt he would go against his mother's wishes when it came to choice of wife
Juan Carlos and Sofia - no (nor would Sofia have been allowed to marry someone who wasn't royal, reason see above)
Pavlos and Marie Chantal - probably no
Rainier and Grace - no; Rainier needed a spouse who would bring attention to Monaco, a woman who was a famous, especially in the U.S.
Anthony and Margaret - probably yes if she had been titled (or a minor royal), not so sure if she had been a commoner

In general I would say being royal probably counts as much against the person as it counts for them in the marriage market. Would you not think very carefully before marrying into a royal family, no matter how much you might love that person, knowing that your whole life(and that of your relatives) will be open to inspection and criticism and misintrepretation? Even if you came from a noble or royal family today would you not think twice before marrying an heir to the throne or a reigning monarch knowing how much you would have to give up?

Daniel and Victoria - It would not have mattered to him if she was the plumber's daughter. They are in love.
Henrik and Margrethe - They would have married regardless.
Philip and Elizabeth - She is in love with Philip and he her. I don't think he shows it outwardly. Of course, I do think he would have loved to have had a long Naval career with him "bringing home the bacon".
Constantine and Anne-Marie - i have my doubts that he woudl have married her if she wasn't a Danish princess. But they do seem happy after decades together.
Juan Carlos and Sofia - Nope they would not have married. I do thnk they care about each other, but romantic love has not been a part of their lives for a very long time.
Pavlos and Marie Chantal - doubt he would have married her if her father weren't so rich. although I do think they are in love with each other now and it shows.
Ranier and Grace nope, he would have just picked a different actress/star. He needed someone that could draw attention to Monaco.
Antony and Margaret Nope, she would have married the previous fellow
Haakon & MM - doesn't matter what their titles, they love each other and it shows.
Fred & Mary - Yes, they would have married, but her moving to Denmark would not have happened, he would have had to move to Australia.
Harold & Sonja - yes, they have had that spark since the beginning
Silvia & Carl-Gustaf - Yes, same as Harold & Sonja

NGalitzine said:
In general I would say being royal probably counts as much against the person as it counts for them in the marriage market. Would you not think very carefully before marrying into a royal family, no matter how much you might love that person, knowing that your whole life(and that of your relatives) will be open to inspection and criticism and misintrepretation? Even if you came from a noble or royal family today would you not think twice before marrying an heir to the throne or a reigning monarch knowing how much you would have to give up?

Very true!

Most of the couples discussed in this thread got married in the 50:ies and 60:ies when the media attention and scrutiny was not as fierce as it is today. Then royals could live a more private life than it is possible today and there was not the kind of media interest in royal girlfriends/boyfriends as today. Of course there were photos and articles speculating about possible royal partners, but I think the first ones who really landed in the full media glare was Silvia Sommerlath and Diana Spencer.

Daniel and Victoria - It would not have mattered to him if she was the plumber's daughter. They are in love.
Henrik and Margrethe - They would have married regardless.
Philip and Elizabeth - She is in love with Philip and he her. I don't think he shows it outwardly. Of course, I do think he would have loved to have had a long Naval career with him "bringing home the bacon".
Constantine and Anne-Marie - i have my doubts that he woudl have married her if she wasn't a Danish princess. But they do seem happy after decades together.
Juan Carlos and Sofia - Nope they would not have married. I do thnk they care about each other, but romantic love has not been a part of their lives for a very long time.
Pavlos and Marie Chantal - doubt he would have married her if her father weren't so rich. although I do think they are in love with each other now and it shows.
Ranier and Grace nope, he would have just picked a different actress/star. He needed someone that could draw attention to Monaco.
Antony and Margaret Nope, she would have married the previous fellow
Haakon & MM - doesn't matter what their titles, they love each other and it shows.
Fred & Mary - Yes, they would have married, but her moving to Denmark would not have happened, he would have had to move to Australia.
Harold & Sonja - yes, they have had that spark since the beginning
Silvia & Carl-Gustaf - Yes, same as Harold & Sonja

:previous:
princess gertrude, I agree with all your statements :flowers:

What about HGD Guillaume & Countess Stéphanie de Lannoy?

What about HGD Guillaume & Countess Stéphanie de Lannoy?

I feel as though only time will tell on this one; the circumstances certainly seem a bit suspicious at the moment (everything seemed to happen rather quickly, and it seems more than a bit convenient that she provides the noble pedigree his own mother so famously lacks), but for all we know they could be completely over the moon about one another! Or, at the very least, grow into being quite compatible companions.

I doubt anyone of the couples would have married simply because we are all a product of our family, culture, up-bringing, education and socio-economic class. If anyone had been born into different circumstances they would certainly also have become different people.

Do you think Kate would've married William if he were a plain and broke?

Generally I think she would have wanted to be with him anyway, but I am not sure about her final decision, if she had been taken some advice from her family members etc.

I think they would have married sooner had not the "royal" thing and duties got in the way. Their life would have been a lot easier without having to deal with the press.

To qualify what you asking, I think she might very well have married him if he was a poor university student, but he had prospects for a good position afterwards. Or if he was already working as a rescue helicopter pilot - where they could have a middle-class background - you know, live in a farmhouse in Wales, and she could shop at Tesco to make him homemade dinners - like that. :lol:

But would she have married him if he was 'broke' - not going to university, no prospects, not even looking for a job? No, I don't think so - I wouldn't marry such a man nor would most women.

Would she have married him if he was plain? Well, I like to think almost no one is so hung up on another person's looks that they dismiss having a relationship with that person because of their looks.

Besides, he's already going quite bald and he's not even 30 yet, so while very pleasant looking, it's really not as if he has hot movie star looks now.... ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom