The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-24-2012, 04:31 AM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Depends a lot on the prince and the circumstances, in my opinion. If that prince should, for example, happen to be Hisahito of Japan (some time in the future, of course), IŽd strongly recommend the girl to run as fast as she can, and preferably before she would have had the time to fall for him. Even if it should be too late for that, though, IŽd really advise her to prefer a short heartbreak over a long misery.

Edit: I have come to notice just know that this is in the British forum. If you should have had but princes from the British royalty in mind when you asked your question, I am sorry for having been OT.

(Following recent incidents, I would like to refer anybody who may think the emperorŽs statement obvious or redundant to this thread, post #682.)
Old 09-24-2012, 04:58 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't understand this question.

There are all sorts of reasons why a girl should say no to a man. Whether he is a prince or not.

I think it would make more sense if you turned the question around: Why would a girl say yes to a prince?

Old 09-24-2012, 05:16 AM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
[...] Why would a girl say yes to a prince?
Ermmm, let me see... - maybe because she does not know the difference between being a princess in a fairy tale and being a princess in real life?

(Following recent incidents, I would like to refer anybody who may think the emperorŽs statement obvious or redundant to this thread, post #682.)
Old 09-24-2012, 08:33 AM
Heir Apparent

I think I would split in two extreme cases :

- would a girl say no to a prince, who has no other attraction point for her, than to be a Prince,
- would a girl say no to a man she likes and loves, but she gives up to him, only because she is a Prince
In two words, "being a Prince" can work as a sole negative or positive pont?
Old 09-24-2012, 09:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think nowadays it (the title) has more negatives than positives. Sure, she would have a life of wealth, of deference, of all sorts of perks, be waited on hand and foot, be lavished with all sorts of gifts.

BUT- on the downside, she'd live her life in a fishbowl, subject to savage criticism from strangers on her family, her looks, her clothes, her personality, her friends, etc.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:31 AM
Courtier

Nice question but I mostly adore the answers! Yes, most of us would say no if he was not attractive to us or because he behaves badly etc.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

I would say yes if I were attracted to the prince. I have the perfect temperment to handle a job like that.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:33 PM
Gentry

Russian princes got quite a few knockbacks in the 19th century.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:55 PM
Nobility

I would be that girl. If a prince would ask me to marry him I think I'll say no. I don't want to put my life on big screens, ruin so much friendships, not being able anymore to give my opinion on everything, not being me. When I'll go out everybody will clap or critic my clothes etc. Even if I'm seriously in love with that boy, I think I will say no. It's not the case right now so I can't say it for sure, but I think so

Queen Mathilde
Old 09-24-2012, 07:07 PM
Majesty

For me, it depends on the man. Every man, royal or not, is a man; the title is just a perk, or something that sounds oh, so magical. However, in real life, the man behind the title may be anything but a prince. However, a man with no title or rank could be a prince due to his mannerisms, chivalry, kindness and compassion. So, to answer the question, I would say 'no' to a man if he were scum, regardless of title, rank, etc.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

For me it would be an added bonus that he's a prince but if there's no attraction or chemistry then it's useless to pursue anything else. I'm after the man and his character not his title or bank account. No one says "I do" to a title.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

Here's a better question, which Prince would u say yes to?
Take into consideration the man himself the amount of scrutiny the family gets and what the job entails. For example I believe someone in this thread commented that they wouldn't marry Prince Hisahito.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 09-25-2012, 09:23 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Interesting question. I have to say, the only Prince from currently reigning houses I'd ever consider dating/marrying would be Crown Prince Haakon. He appears to be extremely loyal person who'll stand by your side no matter what and will help through all issues. I think with someone like him by my side, I'd be able to overcome all the negative aspects of royal life.

Definitely not one of the British Princes; I have a soft spot for Harry but if he dropped to one knee and pulled out the most stunning engagement ring in history of mankind, I'd run away as fast and far away as possible. As for William, you'd have to be either madly in love, or just mad to marry him. Kate must have a really strong character.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:33 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Kate must have a really strong character.
Yes, I think so, too.

When I read the posts which imply she has married him to take advantage of the privilege and social boost ... it makes me shake my head. These are the people without any understanding of what it means to be a modern "Princess", I think.

Who in their right mind would give up a private life and the right to privacy (to a great degree), take a job that can never be quit or vacated, know they will have to work for the rest of their lives (royals can't retire), that their spouse and children will be subjected to a tremendous amount of pressure and scrutiny all for a few baubles and a country estate or two?

Someone who is sincerely in love and someone who has a tremendous strength of character. Otherwise, we have Diana all over again, whose only real flaw, AFAIAC, is that she did not have this strength of character - she was a sprinter and this is a long race.

YMMV

Oh yes, there is no prince I would say yes to. Maybe Charles when I was younger and more foolish :) Today, in the fullness of time? Not a single one.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:41 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I'd say yes to Prince Frederik of Denmark, on looks and interviews. I've obviously never met the guy and he could be a horrible man behind the curtain, same could be said for any Prince or Princess.

I wouldn't say yes to William, unless I got a really sweet deal out of it. I would mind being a UK Princess but William is not my type of guy.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:50 AM
Serene Highness

The OP should rephrase the question and make it 'prince or princess' hehehe, just so us guys can play make believe as well
Old 09-25-2012, 10:05 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

I think it depends on the character of the girl, if she can bear being in the spotlight and under scrutiny for the rest of her life. When dating the prince, she'll get a pretty good idea of what her life would look like, giving up personal freedom and opinion (and sunbathing topless ). Not everybody can deal with it, no matter how much love or attraction.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:39 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Would she say yes to him if he was not a prince? Is his being a prince the primary attraction?

Agreed. I think this would be the best way to "analyze the situation". From the answers posted here, now I realize that Kate's decision to marry Prince William was well-thought-out.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:36 PM
Serene Highness

If it turned out to be Mario Max, I would say no way in a heart beat! LOL. Other than that, it is an interesting question and something to really think about. I suppose it would be difficult to say no but on the other hand, is a title more important than love? Granted, there are women out there who would jump at the chance to marry a prince just for that reason. I think that love and happiness for the rest of your life takes priority over becoming a princess. If you can have it all though? The whole package? I would probably say yes. :)
Old 09-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Serene Highness

If I wasn't madly in love with the guy (and vice versa please), I would absolutely say no. I would have a hard time adjusting. I'm not a skirt and skin-colored tights kinda girl. Far too opinionated when it comes to politics and equal rights (I have no patience for the extreme right) and am definetly not interested in a relationship where I'm lesser than the man.

I also wouldn't want to carry a title like HRH Princess Michael. I have my own name and am my own person, not my husbands. It's so backwards to me. I would also want to work for my own money and wear the clothes I wish to wear.

So my answer would be no.

Tags
kate middleton, kate middleton wedding, prince william