The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-25-2012, 01:02 PM
Commoner

Why would any guy marry a princess?

Here is another intriguing question.

How many guys would be willing to marry a princess knowing that one day she will inherit the title and he would always be in her shadow?

I think this situation is more complicated than in my previous question.
This reminds me of the movie Notting Hill. Guys are expected to make the first move. Most guys would probably be intimidated. So it would take a bold guy who does not hesitate to do so, but if he succeeds, he is expected to be in her shadow for life which is not in his nature. The timid ones should not be good for princesses anyway. Who wins here?

Old 09-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Heir Apparent

And does have a princess to propose to her boyfriend, as the one who is "on the higher position"?

Old 09-25-2012, 01:21 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
And does have a princess to propose to her boyfriend, as the one who is "on the higher position"?
No. If she wishes to ask him, that's fair enough. She doesn't have to ask him. That's like Queen Vicky asking Albert in the film The Young Victoria.

This thread should be merged with the previous question and just alter the thread title. The answer is the same, it is entirely down to the Prince/Princess in question. Look what Daniel went through to get Victoria, you have to put up with a lot but if you love them, there's nothing to it.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:26 PM
Courtier

Well Daniel proposed to Victoria as was stated by them in the wedding interview and Victoria as CP had a higher rank than Daniel. Do not know who proposed to whom in Queen Beatrix case nor do I know about HM and the DOE or Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:32 PM
Heir Apparent

The obvious reply could be: For love.

The more cynical reply could be: For the ego.
- Scoring a genuine princess.
- Securing a pretty high and secure social status.
- Being famous and hopefully (if you are that egocentric, you are probably convinced that you will...) be admired by the fair sex.
- Feeling a little smug at the thought of spreading your genes in royal circles.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:44 PM
Serene Highness

IMO, it is much easier for a man to marry a princess because in the BRF at least, it seems that royal brides are expected to 'breathe new life' and 'modernise the institution' lol. Catherine drives certain feminist commentators batty because she dares take a 'back seat' to William and isn't setting up her own personal court.
Men who marry princesses are **expected** to take a back seat and for me , that makes it much easier for us guys haha. Just my opinion.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I think the DoE has had his fair share of stick over the years. Because the only men who have married into the BRF have been Mark Phillips and Tim Laurence, who took a huge back seat we have really seen a modern man.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:07 PM
Courtier

Why do I feel that that "backseat" has caused Mark Phillips to stray from his marriage and not give a damn for it. Basically I am intrigued by mark Phillips..he seems more of a "man' to me than Anne's 3 brothers..I donno wat went wrong..Damn..the more they hide..the more we want..lolll
And I hardly consider Tim Laurence worthy of an awe, though..Wat u say
Old 09-25-2012, 03:13 PM
Courtier

I feel the best guys to marry a princess are international celebrities like sportspersons, or atleast actors who have already achieved a 'hero" status..This is how its beneficial in both ways..
The guy's celebrity status will be cemented forever..long after his retirement..and can use it to benefit his causes and enhance the name of his as well as his in-laws' "House".
And the Princess and her kids will get relieved (atleast a bit) of the "freeloader" tag..
Old 09-25-2012, 07:17 PM
Serene Highness

I would think if a princess was the heir to the throne, guys would be a lot more intimidated by this than they would if she was a princess who wasn't heir to the throne. A guy who was conceited, who had a big ego or was arrogant or had this attitude of being God's gift to women wouldn't do well in this role. Or the guy who wanted to control the situation or wanted the world to revolve around him. Forget about wanting to be first in this situation.

A guy whose laid back, who doesn't care if he's the center of attention or one who doesn't have a big ego would do fine in the role. This could be a regular guy or someone who has celeb status.

Like their male counterparts, they would also be concerned with whether the guy really loves them, or is marrying them to improve or enhance his social standing or business contacts. Although probably not as common, you have men that marry women for their money.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
I would think if a princess was the heir to the throne, guys would be a lot more intimidated by this than they would if she was a princess who wasn't heir to the throne. A guy who was conceited, who had a big ego or was arrogant or had this attitude of being God's gift to women wouldn't do well in this role. Or the guy who wanted to control the situation or wanted the world to revolve around him. Forget about wanting to be first in this situation.

A guy whose laid back, who doesn't care if he's the center of attention or one who doesn't have a big ego would do fine in the role. This could be a regular guy or someone who has celeb status.

Like their male counterparts, they would also be concerned with whether the guy really loves them, or is marrying them to improve or enhance his social standing or business contacts. Although probably not as common, you have men that marry women for their money.
That is why Prince Daniel is doing well so far. He genuinely loves CP Victoria and didn't marry her for fame - even though that came with the package.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:54 PM
Serene Highness

Some men wouldn't be able to handle it, but true and good, loving and noble men would have no problems with it.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:33 AM
Royal Highness

hehehe, I wondered when this question might crop up! It's slightly more complicated to answer than the girl marrying a prince sceanrio because it's happens so few times. Prince Daniel is a perfect example of doing the right thing at the right time - had he not been genuine, I think he would have tried to marry Victoria many years earlier. Instead their relationship developed from friendship to relationship in a slow and careful manner over a very long period until one day it came to a point where the natural thing to do would be to marry. I'd be more suspicious of a whirlwind lets get hitched quick situation because in a short period of time, one simply couldn't get used to royal life and all that it entails.
Imagine starting a new job, with no training or experience and you've applied just because the money is good and the boss is attractive......after a short while you'd soon realise you'd made a mistake and that seed in your mind would grow until you're completely stressed out and want out. On the other hand, if your perfect job came up and you knew what to expect and had ages to think about it and considered all your options, then you'd be sure in your mind that doing the job is the right thing.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:40 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post

But how would the laid back guy who would fit the role even propose to the princess if he is not as daring as the one who wouldn't fit the role?
Old 09-29-2012, 12:06 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish
Why do I feel that that "backseat" has caused Mark Phillips to stray from his marriage and not give a damn for it. Basically I am intrigued by mark Phillips..he seems more of a "man' to me than Anne's 3 brothers..I donno wat went wrong..Damn..the more they hide..the more we want..lolll
And I hardly consider Tim Laurence worthy of an awe, though..Wat u say
Anne never had any sisters, only brothers (just like me, but in my case, it's also an absence of female paternal cousins), but she's had 4 sisters-in-law!

Tags
prince philip, queen elizabeth