The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-06-2006, 12:21 AM
Nobility

Question Why are we so interested?

I've been watching the royals (of all nations but particularly northern Europe) since I saw the royal wedding of Charles and Diana in 1981. In 1981, mind you, I was still wearing pigtails. Something captured my imagination and interest. Then I kept reading about English and European history until I had to start wearing classes.

So here's my question: Why are you so interested in the royals? Why are you a royal watcher?

Old 07-06-2006, 01:39 AM
Courtier

I'm not sure why... is just a kind of fascination, is almost a celebrity cult...

Old 07-06-2006, 02:00 AM
Courtier

For me it's a kind of fairytale happening...something that is a rare in most enviroments. I like the dresses, the galas, the jewels...I can't explain it, but I'm sure it has something to do with our fathers calling us "Princess," and being a girl.

www.one.org
Old 07-06-2006, 02:53 AM
Commoner

im interested because their history and family lineage amazes me. you see these royals walking around just like regular people when some of them are descended from Marie-Antoinette or Isabella of Spain. i dont know if im accurate but im just very impressed with their blood lines.They may not be closely related but their lineage goes back in time. like letizia, she is supposed to be the first non royal princess of asturias, right?
Old 07-06-2006, 03:48 AM
Serene Highness

I started because of prince William and after then I came to the forums and I found a lot of another royal people, which are good example of fashion style, jewelry or personality. After all today I go here every day and I really enjoy every royal family, not only that one... I'm massive royal fan
Old 07-06-2006, 04:54 AM
Aristocracy

I started being interested in royalty since I watched the royal wedding of Carl XVI Gustav and Silvia Sommerlath in June 1976.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:22 AM
Heir Apparent

The history aspect is what does it for me. I like the continuity of it all - and as I'm fascinated by odd pieces of trivia, it is an interesting hobby to have.

I can't remember when I wasn't interested in royalty, to put it like that.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:04 AM
Heir Apparent

I became interested in Royalty ever since I remember myself, ever since I read my first book. But it wasn't Royalty I was interested in in the first place. It was history. I was mooving from ancient times (Egypt, Ancient Greece, Babylon, Assyria, China, Japan, Armenia, Ancient Rome...) to Medieval ages and the modern times. The ancient and medieval histories are largely connected with the Monarchs and their deceisons, so I got interested in Ancient Monarchies and then again moved ahead up to recent times and recent monarchies. Then I became interested in current news, watched marriages, cried joyfully during the birth of the Royal kids...
I am a devoted Royal Watcher, though like norwegianne, it's history aspect that fascinates me.
btw, a very goof thread! Nice to know how it all started for different people.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 07-06-2006, 09:09 AM
Courtier

I like the beautiful dresses best. It's also interesting to see how the new princesses are coping, it makes you think about how you would do in their place.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:37 AM
Royal Highness

I get interested in royalty when i saw the Princes of Asturias' wedding, because they have a different life, they live in a different reality.
I can't find out a reason, i mean, i think that is one of the reasons that i'm interested, but it's hard to explain.
Maybe i'm interested because i've never be a royal, as i said before, it's a different life. They can live like us (normal people): go to cinema, catch a bus, whatever, but i cannot live and be like them: be called by Highness or Majesty, use great tiaras, and those things...

When i think in gala dinners, big dresses, tiaras, i lose the sense of reality. :o It's like a dream or something.
Of course, their lifes have disadvantages: like paparazzi, etc, etc.

So, maybe i'm interested in royalty because of their lifes and their history. In what they do and all they see life.

P.S. we have a different hobby :p
Old 07-06-2006, 09:49 AM

I can escape my ordinary life and live vicariously through royals for a while. There's also a romantic ideal about finding your prince and living happily ever after. Truth is, reality comes through and the ideal is never attained. We as,an audience, get to witness scandals and infidelities and soon realize royals are people similar to us.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:59 PM
Commoner

i became interested ever since Princess Mary got married. It was weird, i started looking up info and pictures of her on the net and i would occasionally buy magazines when she is on the cover(though i don't do that anymore) and then i gradually looked for info on other royals from around the world.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:56 AM
Commoner

I got interested in the Royal Families from around the world, when I seen pictures in the Hello Magazines of a celebration of a birthday, it must have been in the late 80's early 90's.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Royalty= magic
it gives us the possibility of living in a dream, a surreal life
Old 07-07-2006, 04:42 AM
Serene Highness

the fascination of watching these royals move, the pomp and grandeur that royalty brings, protocol, their history (whether good or bad) coupled with a strive to see how royals interact with us "normal" beings and do things just like anyone else. :)
Old 07-07-2006, 05:14 AM
Serene Highness

Why are we so interested?
you all bring up some great points, and all are valid, because I think our interest covers several levels.

Number one, definitely, the history element of it is indeed a big one.

Number two, these people lead lives most of us can only dream of. It's great to satisfy our own 'what if' curiosities with glimpses of these jet-setters lives

Number three, I think the media exposure and the fact we're familiar with what it is these people seem to do for a living, breeds a kind of familiarity that makes us consider these people, who are strangers really, as part of our own personal community. Almost on the level of a neighbor, or a relative who maybe lives a continent away. We want to know how they're faring, what they're up to, how their kids are doing, as if we're talking about our distant cousins who immigrated to another country for example. That's the weirdness of the media: we think we know these people pretty intimately, but we really do not at all.

I have always been interested in royalty, but only discovered this great forum when I was looking on the internet for pictures of tiara's, a subject I know nothing about! Came across the forum, and learned a lot, about tiara's and then some!
Old 07-07-2006, 05:20 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sira
I started being interested in royalty since I watched the royal wedding of Carl XVI Gustav and Silvia Sommerlath in June 1976.
Also watched that on tv as a little kid, and can't say I blame you for getting hooked on royalty ever since that epic moment! Totally off thread, but I to this day think Silvia was the most beautiful bride on the entire planet, her karma was absolutely something else! I guess all these recent royal crown princial weddings have heaped a lot of interest and new members onto the forum too!
Old 07-07-2006, 05:40 AM
Aristocracy

For sure, the royals are interesting for the history that they represent.

On another level, however, I believe that the attraction to watch them day-in and day-out is the same thing that hooks people to soap operas and TV series – we want to know what’s going on in their lives and what are they going to do next. But whereas TV characters are make-believe, we know that these royals are very much alive to the extent that we feel a certain endearment to them – just like we feel for our own friends and relatives. We toast with them on their weddings, on the birth of their children, and other special occasions; and then we weep with them at times of sickness, grief, and other difficult moments.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Nobility

I'm only interested in Monaco's Princely Family i guess because i live in France.I always admired Caroline she's my all-time favourite Princess i love to learn about her life.I also like her gorgeous daughter
Old 07-07-2006, 12:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne
The history aspect is what does it for me. I like the continuity of it all - and as I'm fascinated by odd pieces of trivia, it is an interesting hobby to have.

I can't remember when I wasn't interested in royalty, to put it like that.
That is my greatest interest in royality too - the history aspect. And also the family relations (the intricate family three of the European royal families). And perhaps a bit of the fairytale feeling and the childhood dream of becoming a princess...And also the important work most royals do with different social issues wide and far.