The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-13-2006, 02:36 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari_*
I guess for us is like a world a appart, it is somehow magic.
As kids we always read about Kingdoms, Kings, the beautiful Princess, the handsome Prince.. it is like a fascination.
I agree. I think it's somehow magical. Royals all seem to have their own interesting history, which is interesting and entertaining to read about as well.

Old 08-13-2006, 04:14 PM
Gentry

My reason is much the same as the others who have answered....the 'magic', the soap opera aspect, the glamour. I first became interested when Sarah F. married Andrew in 1986. I was 12 then so Diana was an interest but I was a little young when she got married. But then I got caught up in the wedding 'hoopla' and became a huge Diana and Sarah fan. I've also always loved our old Hollywood royalty also, so Grace Kelly and her family became favorites of mine, also, because I love her movies and she was always so classy. But really, I think it all boils down to a bit of what another poster said earlier in this thread--the celebrities today are on the very tacky side and Royalty still shows us what class and elegance are. I'd rather read about the 'real' lives of the Royal family than the exploits of Britney, Jessica, Angelina and Brad. The Royals also show you can be beautiful and sexy without taking your clothes off! There is just an unexplainable magic about Royalty and history and the mystique will always be there for me.

Old 08-13-2006, 05:13 PM
Aristocracy

My reason is slightly two fold and may seem shocking to some. I left the fairytale people at around 9 or ten as far as expecting anybody to fulfill that part of my life. I am fascinated by the lineage and how its held on to. I love history, all nations and the royals seem to dominate it.

I, of course, also love the pretty clothes,etc. The second which is now foremost and dominant for me is that I fell in love with little Alexandre. Seeing those pictures of him hardly a year old, or so, trying to be so much a part of life and involved with everyone,trying to participate in every thing around him. So there, now I have Prince Albert who happens to be Alex's daddy. (He (PA) might not particularly like that order).!!
Old 09-11-2006, 08:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Its part of the cultural fabric that has shaped much of history and is something I hold in very high regard. I see it as an institution that holds much relevance within today's society and I think the concept of constitutional monarchy to be one of great stability for those who appreciate and value it.

Royalty really is above celebrity in every way, IMO.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:39 PM
Serene Highness

I am interested in the princely family of Monaco, it started when i was a child, then i discovered P. Caroline and i wanted to know everything about her.Its like reading a kind of fairy tale, in chapters. Now i have to say i´ve learnt about other royals life, and not that its a passion but i enjoy reading their stories.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:36 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquine
Quote:
I got interested in royalty because I just got fed up with all the tacky hollywood stars à la Paris Hilton, Britney Spears, Victoria Beckham, etc. Just look at the new generation of crown princesses, now they have style ! Think of the timeless elegance of Princess Mathilde, the good taste of Princess Letizia and many more ... People may say for example that Princess Beatrice wears old-fashioned clothes for her age. Well, even then I prefer much more Beatrices outfits above the sleazy ones I’ve seen Britney wearing. For me, royalty stands for classic elegance and good taste (although royals do make mistakes sometimes, they’re humans after all ).
How true! I hope my daughters aspire to Mary more than to Paris or Britney or any other dodgy celebrities with no class.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:52 PM
Serene Highness

Well, you bet ya I am no Britney or Paris. Well, I'm not excactly Mary Donaldson either, but that's closer to me then what Britney and Paris are.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:19 PM
Commoner

For me, I think that it would have to be the history and the clothes and everything, but also that these people cause so much respect in their subjects and can do so much good in the world, if they try hard enough.
I don'y know if that makes sense...
Old 09-30-2006, 05:31 PM
Gentry

I got interested in royalty just by chance. Before I was interested just in the political side of royalty, how they were involved in the life of a country, but going around the internet I found these forums and reading them I got more and more interested in the other side as well, the fairy side of it so to speak. I thought also that the ambience in the boards was fantastic, so even though I do not share some of the opinions about certain royals, I keep coming because I like reading what other people's thinks and also learn new stuff.

I really enjoy the place
Old 07-10-2010, 06:02 AM
Gentry

What drives your interest in monarchy?

KK, hello all.

I’m not much of a Royal Forums poster, but I did discover and join this site way back when I reorganized the Wiki article on the Monarchy of Spain. Now, I had a question to ask then but never posted it. And now, perhaps, I may explore this question in more detail with you the community!

Essentially, my question is what drives your interest in ‘monarchy’ in general? If you sit down and think about it intellectually I mean. We, collectively, do have an interest in monarchy, which has brought us to these great networking forums. But what is it in particular that motivates you to be more active in seeking out others that share this interest?

If I was able to devise a poll, I suppose the questions would be:

Option 1: Primarily political in nature: I am a die hard monarchist and believe in the political theory of monarchy in general, whether absolute or constitutional.

Option 2: Primarily social in nature: I primarily enjoy the social aspects of royalty, from gowns to crowns to titles and tiaras. They are ‘my’ celebrities.

Now then, why do you believe that you hold these convictions? As an American, I have to admit I am at a loss as to why I am interested in other countries monarchies. In no way would I ever contemplate a monarchy for America. That notion makes me sick to my stomach. But I do admit that when I look to Spain or the Netherlands, or Denmark or many other nations, I do like the idea.. .for them… of having a monarch and royal family. And I don’t know why. Intellectually, it doesn’t make much sense to me. I am a middle of the road politically, I do believe in individual civil liberties, freedom of speech, all which is enshrined in the US Bill of Rights. And more too. But, for some unexplained reason, I like some of the ceremony of I see in the Spanish constitutional arrangement, or sometimes even the English one.

My question is, are there others who also share these concerns?
Old 07-10-2010, 08:09 AM
Commoner

Hello@keystone

I am new here, and since three days in this forum.
I found it, when i searching for infos about Eleanor of Aquitaine in google.
So i had registered, because i want to discuss with other people who admire Eleanor(she was Queen of france and England and had lived from 1122-1204)

I am not very interested in the royals of today, my interest are the royals of the middle-ages. And so i registered, because here is a category with "royal history"

So the options you call(1 and 2) dont apply for me.

For me i must made an option 3:

I am very fascinated from the middle Age royals(especially eleanor)
I think the monarchy of today is not so much interesting like the monarchy of middle ages.
In the middle ages there were so much interesing personaltiys in the royal familys.
I really admire Eleanor of Aqutaine which was a very strong-mindet und tough woman.

I am not a fan of the royals of our days, but i love watching royal weddings on TV, because thats so romantic.
I live in Germany, and we had a morchy until 1918. And i think its a pitty that we didnt have it today, because monarchy brings a lot of tourists in the land.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:00 PM
Serene Highness

I love watching the royal weddings and enjoy seeing what the royals wear.

For me option 2 is probably the main reason why I'm interested in this forum. Unless they are British royalty, you don't hear too much about the other royal households in the United States. What is interesting to me is how many individuals out there are of royal blood (thousands of people throughout the world).
Old 07-10-2010, 01:23 PM
Nobility

It's an escape for me, like reading a good book.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Serene Highness

I love looking at the beautiful gowns that they wear. Only on a handful of occasions have I ever worn an gown. My mother sewed the gown I wore and I wore this gown about 4 times. I was envious of those who wore a gown once and could afford to get a new one for each occasion.

To me, the world of royalty is much different than the average person. I'm looking at it on the outside. It's interesting because they always seem to be going here, going there, going to this party, going to a fashion show or something is going on with them all the time.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Ahh... why am I here? Great question!

I remember growing up in the 50s and 60s and my mother remarking "the Queen does this... and the Queen wears that.. and the Queen would NEVER.." You get the idea. Prince Charles was just a bit older than I was and of course he'd be the Prince Charming who'd give me that happy ever after in the fairy tale dreams I had. I hated history in school but like Eleanor of Aquitaine... I was drawn to the Middle Ages and Camelot and King Arthur and the legends of the Holy Grail.. the romanticism.

As a young wife with children I watched the fairy tale wedding of Charles and Diana and thought she was just perfect... the princess of happy ever after. The Wars of the Wales was going on as I was going through my divorce so of course I totally sided with Diana... how COULD he.. being American the "rags" at the checkout lines gave me all the latest news from across the pond. Since that time, my children got older and had their own lives and I had more time to do what I love best. READ!
I'm an armchair archaeologist and that of course will lead you into reading history. If I had to really choose a period, again its the middle ages.. the Merovingians, the Crusades, the Knight Templars and Cathars and all.

How'd I get to the TRF? Oddly it was hats. Someone I was talking to got on the subject of hats and mentioned fascinators. When you think hats.. you think Ascot so I googled Ascot and linked here. My hubby at the time was working 24-36 hour shifts at a time and I think most of those hours were spent here reading everything... I devoured anything and everything royal. That was 2 years ago and this is still my most checked website. I've learned a lot from the wealth of information everyone here has and finally a couple months ago I actually started posting.

There should be an option in the poll for people like me that are here for um... everything.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Nobility

Option 2 is one reason why I love monarchies but mainly its the histories of the people who ran them is what keeps me hooked.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Nobility

For me Option 2 is probably the closest - I love the big occasions eg Victorias wedding and the opportunity to see the jewels and tiaras etc. So I guess it is a bit of escapism from the everyday of my life - it is not like I get the opportunity to wear tiara's jewels, gowns or hats to do the groceries!!

I have also always been fascinated by the Tudor and Victorian stages of British History and these forums have provided another source of views and information in relation to those periods.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystone View Post
Now then, why do you believe that you hold these convictions? As an American, I have to admit I am at a loss as to why I am interested in other countries monarchies. In no way would I ever contemplate a monarchy for America. That notion makes me sick to my stomach. But I do admit that when I look to Spain or the Netherlands, or Denmark or many other nations, I do like the idea.. .for them… of having a monarch and royal family. And I don’t know why. Intellectually, it doesn’t make much sense to me. I am a middle of the road politically, I do believe in individual civil liberties, freedom of speech, all which is enshrined in the US Bill of Rights. And more too. But, for some unexplained reason, I like some of the ceremony of I see in the Spanish constitutional arrangement, or sometimes even the English one.

My question is, are there others who also share these concerns?
I've thought a lot about this over the past 2 years and honestly my opinion has changed as I learned more what the UK governmental system is. I used to think that with having a Royal family... they were above all and if I was a British citizen I'd be having to curtsy to someone that was my "better". Today if I did have the privelege to meet HM Queen Elizabeth, I would do a little curtsy for one reason. Out of respect and admiration.

With a constitutional monarchy, the UK and the commonwealth nations politically is very much like the US with its parties and Prime Minister. HM is the Head of State but has very little political power. What she does represent to me is an ongoing, continuous history with all the pomp and circumstance of ages and ages of tradition...a continuing line of history. I live near Washington, D.C. and I also get a sense of awe gazing at the original Declaration of Independence. (of course I also need to stop and make sure my rock is still safe... that Hope diamond is gorgeous!

When you really think about it... A lot of what the US is stems from Britain originally. If the American Revolution hadn't happened, we'd most likely now be a commonwealth nation like Canada with folks for a republic or a monarchy. Regardless its been proven that America loves the Queen
Old 07-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Excellent topic!

I am a passionate student/lover of history, and my interest in the different monarchies of the world stem primarily from that passion.

BUT...I hate, loathe, and DESPISE with the heat of a thousand suns the elevation and obsession(primarily here in the US}with Hollywood and the celebrity fixation that elevates these people and everything they do...from marrying and divorcing, entering and re-entering re-hab, having babies, etc to the level of NEWS...this goes double for reality TV "personalities".

I am sure it sounds very snobbish but I mostly don't care about show business or athletes and their lives...at all.

I have always-since childhood-been much more interested in Royalty.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:14 AM
Aristocracy

I, like others, have a tremendous sense of history and tradition, a passion for history and so the past, present and future of royalty is part of that. I have also taken interest in royalty in Africa and other places where they aren't sovereign rulers but play an enormous traditional, cultural and even spiritual role.