The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-07-2006, 02:38 PM
Courtier

For me it was definately the history part as well as trying to find something to pass the time at work. I found the "Hello!"web site and they have a little column with all the reigning European families listed. So week by week I would pick a family and read about them. Once that was done, I did more searching and found this forum and another forum that truely amazes me with the amount of people that have vast knowlege about families, lands, castles, jewels, ect. It opened up a whole new world to me and I love it even more than I did before.
Not to mention that they (the Royals) are living a life that I would L.O.V.E. to live myself.

Old 07-07-2006, 08:28 PM
Commoner

i like to live in fantasy land

Old 07-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Courtier

Smile

I started with the British royals as a result of watching Princess Anne's wedding to Mark Phillips ( a long time ago!) I'd always had a big interest in UK history so it just seemed natural to follow that interes into royalty. Then I got interested in other countries' royals (mainly the Romanovs, the Danish, Spanish, Greek, and Jordanian royals) so that expanded my enthusiasm. It's a fascinating subject.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:32 PM
Aristocracy

I have to agree that I love to live in a fantasy land and I like to think that fairy tales do come true and that the prince and princss can live happily ever after.
I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved. I know that I can give love for a minute, for half an hour, for a day, for a month, but I can give. I am very happy to do that, I want to do that.- Princess Diana
Old 07-18-2006, 10:41 PM
Royal Highness

A little bit of fairy tales, a little bit of drama and glamour, and a little bit on thinking these royals, well most of them, are descendants of the ancient rulers that shaped humanity to what it is nowadays. Not that they are the ones to blame on our current problems. But, like with the religious 'aristocracy' there is always a sense of looking at them as something quite out of the ordinary, even when they are just flesh and blood like any of us.

But the same applies to Hollywood celebrities and recording stars. In countries that there are no royals (or just boring royals) the celebrities fill that void, that need to check out that magazine and see how the 'other half' lives. Like a car crash in the highway, you can't help but to slow down and look at it with curiosity.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

For many of us the royal families and the monarchies are part of our cultural, historical and family back grounds. It has nothing to do with fairy tales or celebrities. Each country has its own history that resonates with the citizens - for me it is the royals and the history that they and my family has been part of. The King and Queens used to be much more involved in the destiny of their respective countries and therefore much more interesting in what and how they looked at the world around them.
This is peoples real life and heritage - hence the frequent exaspiration with any "hollywood" take on the issue.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:19 PM
Royal Highness

Well, Hollywood Royalty is as good celebrity ticket as any blue bloods out there. Grace Kelly and Rita Hayworth, Hollywood Royalty, ended up marrying blueblooded Royalty and it was like they were above any other morgamatic bride. Princess Margaret (a blue blood royalty) had for one of her best pals none other than the Queen of Hollywood herself, Liz Taylor. So, up there above in the celebrity clouds, Hollwood Royalty sees real Royalty eye to eye. Just ask Angelina and Brad how many doors are opened for them.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:50 AM
Commoner

I would have to say the first Royals that caught my attention was Monaco. A Long Long Time Ago in A Land Far Far Away!!
This was an American who married into a royal family and had children the same age as us. We were interested in how the other half lives, From a house in the forest 3 1/2 miles from your nearest neighbor (us) to a royal palace (them). Wow, can you imagine!!
When I got older the history aspect entered into my reasons for staying interested.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:42 PM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative – Spain

I guess for us is like a world a appart, it is somehow magic.
As kids we always read about Kingdoms, Kings, the beautiful Princess, the handsome Prince.. it is like a fascination.
I started being interested in royalty since I watched the royal wedding of Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia my fav royal couple!
Old 08-02-2006, 05:04 PM
Serene Highness

I have always liked to read about royalty of the past most of all. However until the wedding of Prince Felipe and Letizia I have liked this generation of royals as well. I think it is about the magic behind royals and how "perfect" their lives seem.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Human nature - curiosity.
We like to know what someone is doing and with whom, how long, how she/he looks. No matter if it's our family, neighbour or royals - we want know Different stylelifes, world!!!

First time I've heard about present royalty when I was very young - when Prince William started kindergarten. Next time were: 15th birthday of CPss Victoria after that 3 weddings of Elena&Jaime, Alexandra&Joachim and Cristina&Inaki - it started and still is.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:14 PM
Courtier

I guess we all have our reasons for being interested in royalty. For me, it was a book I got for my birthday a couple of years ago. The Monarchies of the World. Once I read it, I was totally hooked. The history, the dresses, the jewels , the expectations, everything. I too, like to live in fantasy land once in awhile , and when your watching royalty, you get to do that. They show us a different lifestyle from the ones we lead. Their most "normal" day would be an unbelievable one for us.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:25 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj00192557
im interested because their history and family lineage amazes me. you see these royals walking around just like regular people when some of them are descended from Marie-Antoinette or Isabella of Spain. i dont know if im accurate but im just very impressed with their blood lines.They may not be closely related but their lineage goes back in time. like letizia, she is supposed to be the first non royal princess of asturias, right?
i guess i got hooked, first watching the british royal family in the news (and with the death of diana ) i had a greater interest. i agree about how the royals descended from great historical figures that shaped the world today. now i am more interested in asian, pacific and the overthrown european monarchies such as russia, romania, bulgaria and prussia. and how normal current monarchs seem....
Old 08-03-2006, 04:13 PM
Gentry

I was briefly interested when I was a teen in the seventies when Silvia married Carl Gustav of Sweden. But then, being German, it was all over and you could not really escape.

I live in the US now and became interested again when the BBC news broadcast the story of Mette-Marit's confessional. I was so surprised that the King of Norway would permit this wedding. At the same time Filipe of Spain was dating an underwear model and I wanted to know if she will actually become his wife. In my eyes she was leading a more exemplary life than M-M and I thought they would marry, but I was not sure. Well, I was hooked:)
Old 08-05-2006, 06:47 PM
Aristocracy

This board keeps me abreast of all the single princes and where I can find them. Give me points for being honest!
Old 08-05-2006, 06:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashajones
This board keeps me abreast of all the single princes and where I can find them. Give me points for being honest!
I'm glad we can help on your search for Mr. Right.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Aristocracy

I got interested in royalty because I just got fed up with all the tacky hollywood stars à la Paris Hilton, Britney Spears, Victoria Beckham, etc. Just look at the new generation of crown princesses, now they have style ! Think of the timeless elegance of Princess Mathilde, the good taste of Princess Letizia and many more ... People may say for example that Princess Beatrice wears old-fashioned clothes for her age. Well, even then I prefer much more Beatrices outfits above the sleazy ones I’ve seen Britney wearing. For me, royalty stands for classic elegance and good taste (although royals do make mistakes sometimes, they’re humans after all ).
Old 08-09-2006, 06:55 PM
Courtier

I'm interested in most of the Royals for a lot of the reason's already mentioned. They really are no different to you and I but they keep me coming back for more.
P.S, Coquine, I love the little puppy in your avatar, I smile every time I see him/her?
Old 08-10-2006, 01:44 PM
Aristocracy

Thank you.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:43 PM
Serene Highness

For me, it's mostly about the history. It was searching for historical royals and ended up at this message board.