Who's the nicest Royal Mother in Law?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who is the nicest royal Mother-in-Law?

• Queen Paola of Belgium

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Empress Michiko of Japan

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Queen Margrethe of Denmark

Votes: 58 17.8%
  • Queen Noor of Jordan

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Queen Elizabeth of the United Kingdom

Votes: 20 6.2%
  • Princess Marie of Liechtenstein

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Queen Sabika of Bahrain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Queen Sofía of Spain

Votes: 88 27.1%
  • Queen Sonja of Norway

Votes: 30 9.2%
  • Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxembourg

Votes: 21 6.5%
  • Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands

Votes: 76 23.4%
  • Queen Anne-Marie of Greece

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • Queen Anne of Romania

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Queen Saleha of Brunei

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 4 1.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reina

Serene Highness
City
Dallas
Country
United States
Royal Mothers-In-Law

Well with just looking at the mom of Queen Rania I got to thinking about the special role that mom's of royals play. I particularly think of the mother of CP Mette-Marit. Well I guess it would be nice to know about these and other moms of royals-past and present.

Last edited by a moderator:
Queen Sofia of Spain

Queen Sofia has had a lot of pull in her children’ s lives. Basically she’s the one who the family seem to go to in order to get the blessings instead of her husband. In fact she had a lot of impact on Crown Prince Felipe’s choice in wife and future queen, if she didn’t like a girl then she was history. She did seem to approve of Letizia since Felipe married her.

Besides being the person to approve relationships she also seems to be a great grandmother. There have been plenty of pictures of Queen Sofia playing causually with her grand kids or just being a g.randmother. (I added pictures)

Attachments

• grand.jpg
    grand.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 388
  • queensopia.jpg
    queensopia.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 422
Good idea! I had a similar one a few weeks ago and I´m now delighted, that someone has posted such a thread :D
I´ve wondered how much they help to raise the children (for example in MM´s case it seems as if her mum acts not just as grandma, but also as nanny-which is IMO very nice of her and probably the best for Ingrid and most of all for Marius).
And I´ve also wondered, how the relationships between the Royals (mainly monarchs) and the parents of the crown princesses are. Do they also meet every now and then for dinner? Or do they just meet at celebrations (baptisms) or by accident, when they both want to visit the crown princess and the grandchildren?
So does anyone know, how the relationships between the following Royals and in-laws are
-the danish Royal couple and the Donaldssons
-the norwegian Royal couple and MM´s mother (I don´t think we need to talk about Sven O. :D )
-queen Beatrix and the Zorreguietas (must be hard...officially Beatrix must more or less distance herself from them...but after all they are the grandparents of Amalia and the wee Royal in Maxima´s belly...and also Maxima seems to be very close to her parents :confused: )
-the belgian Royal couple and the d'Udekem d'Acoz'
-the spanish Royal couple and the Ortiz'

In some cases it might be hard to say, because some couple are not very long married...but maybe some friendships already seem to develop (?)

Lena said:
Good idea! I had a similar one a few weeks ago and I´m now delighted, that someone has posted such a thread :D
I´ve wondered how much they help to raise the children (for example in MM´s case it seems as if her mum acts not just as grandma, but also as nanny-which is IMO very nice of her and probably the best for Ingrid and most of all for Marius).

Mathilde's parents also have a similar arrangement in that they stay at Phillippe and Mathilde's home when the couple is out of the country on one of their trips. The d'Udekem d'Acoz family seem to be very much like Mette-Marit's mom in their discretion. I do not live in Europe so I do not have as much access to the European media, but I have never seen them address the media regarding the Belgian royal family, even to discuss their daughter or their grandchildren. I think the Belgian (and Norwegian) royal families appreciate this discretion and respect for privacy.

Lena said:
In some cases it might be hard to say, because some couple are not very long married...but maybe some friendships already seem to develop (?)

I think I've read that there is a good friendship between Queen Beatrix and the Brinkhorst family (parents of Princess Laurentien, wife of Prince Constantijn) as Laurentien's father used to be part of the government and no doubt Beatrix had encountered him now and then. (I wonder too, if Beatrix is friendly with Princess Marilene's father, who also held a government position.)

I guess I would like to know the answer's to Lena's questions and also mothers of some past royals like the Queen Mother and Queen Victoria. I know QV's mom had alot of influence, but one rarely knows about the Queen Mum's mother. Also I would like to know info on QNoor's mother, her grandparenting, and how they get along.

Alexandria said:
I think I've read that there is a good friendship between Queen Beatrix and the Brinkhorst family (parents of Princess Laurentien, wife of Prince Constantijn) as Laurentien's father used to be part of the government and no doubt Beatrix had encountered him now and then. (I wonder too, if Beatrix is friendly with Princess Marilene's father, who also held a government position.)

Now as you mention it...of course I would also want to know, how the relationships between the in-laws of the second and third born (and so on...) and the Royal parents are. So when you know something, please tell.

Thank you for the information, you have given me Alexandria.

Queen Silvia´s mother Alice de Toledo Sommerlath was very close to her son-in-law and her grandchildren in Sweden.

During the 80´s she and her husband Walther often went to Sweden and every summer they stayed at Solliden.

In the last years of her life (Walther Sommerlath died in 1990) Alice Sommerlath sstayed at Drottningholm with the royal family. She was senile and had a hard time remembering her family and what had happend in the past.
Silvia once said that in the years before her death in 1997, Alice always sat and waited for Walther to come back in from his daily walk. Very sad...

Here´s some photos of Alice de Toledo Sommerlath with her husband and daughter!

Attachments

• alice.jpg
    alice.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,048
  • aliceandwalther.jpg
    aliceandwalther.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 4,028
  • alicesilviawalther.jpg
    alicesilviawalther.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 504
  • alicewithbabysilvia.jpg
    alicewithbabysilvia.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 472
  • dancingatnobel.jpg
    dancingatnobel.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,159
  • motheranddaughter.jpg
    motheranddaughter.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 529
  • nobel1981.jpg
    nobel1981.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 925
Last edited:
Mary Rhys-Jones

Mary Rhys-Jones is the mom of Sophie, the Countess of Wessex. She used to work as a secretary before meeting her husband. She left the work place to raise Sophie and her brother David. Friends of Sophie describe her as the archtypical mom always mothering all of them. She took on a part time job of typing at home so that the couple could afford to send Sophie and David to a better school. Afterwards she become a charity worker, and even danced with Prince Philip at one of the events.
The Rhys-Jones have an interesting relationship with their Windsor in-laws. They once attended Ascot with the Queen and the whole family was invited to the Royal Windsor Horse Show this year. Mrs Mary Rhys-Jones is currently battling colon cancer. She remains very much a private person, and although she is not high profile. She appears to be a very humble and nice person.

Attachments

• sophie%20and%20mum.jpg
    sophie%20and%20mum.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,734
Last edited:
It is very interesting to know the royal's inlaw....I hope many more about them and their photos will post here.....

Crownprincess Marys mother was named Henrietta Donaldson.
She moved from Scotland to Tasmania in 1963, and lived in Hobart with her family. She worked at the university of Tasmania as a secretary until her tragic death.
In 1997 Etta Donaldson died during a heart surgery. She was 55 years old

Attachments

• etta.jpg
    etta.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 3,089
what about late Diana,Princess of Wales? her mother met Diana for her brother's wedding and lots of more! if you have dozen of Diana's mum with Diana before Diana's death in 1997 and her mum's death in years ago.

Sara Boyce

ah, how could we forget Diana?!

Here she is with her mother Frances Shand-Kydd

Attachments

• semester 1987.jpg
    semester 1987.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 548
I think it is good that despite what MM's father has been getting up to, her mother seems to have a lot of dignity and is able to hold her head high.

Alexandria said:

Laurentiens parents are one of the closest friends of Beatrix. She met Laurentiens mother in her studentdays in Leiden university already! Laurentiens father is still in gouverment and the present Vice Prime Minister & Minister of Economical affairs.

The Zorreguietta's and Beatrix have a bit of a problematic relationship, the queen and prince Claus did (and do) not approve of their past. I doubt that they will meet each other very often. However, the Zorreguietta's are staying in The Netherlands quite often, and where taking care of little Amalia when Maxima was delivering Alexia (apparently she did not want to come out of the swimmingpool to visit her new sister).

Marengo said:
The Zorreguietta's and Beatrix have a bit of a problematic relationship, the queen and prince Claus did (and do) not approve of their past. I doubt that they will meet each other very often. However, the Zorreguietta's are staying in The Netherlands quite often, and where taking care of little Amalia when Maxima was delivering Alexia (apparently she did not want to come out of the swimmingpool to visit her new sister).

I thought Maxima's dad couldn't come to the wedding b\c of his past?

That is true, but that was only for the wedding, which was seen as a state occassion. As the man is not convicted for anything he is free to travel and to attend private events such as the baptisms of his granddaughters. That is how the gouverment explains the situation though. It will be interesting to see if he will attend the enthronement of WA and Maxima (if he is still alive by that time).

I wonder if anyone can help update this thread a bit? Does anyone have photos of Mathilde, Maxima, Mette-Marit, Letizia, Masako's mothers that they can post? I think the mom's of these girls have been thrust into the limelight along with their daughters and have done a wonderful job of being supportive.

Here's a beautiful pic of Maxima's mother, Maria del Carmen.
Found it on ANP.

wow, you can actually see the resemblance between Maxima and her mother:eek: :D

auntie said:
I thought Maxima's dad couldn't come to the wedding b\c of his past?

You are right. The Parliament decided to let them marry but that her father would not attend the wedding. Which is sad for Maxima I am sure.

What's the current relationship between MM's mother and Sven?:rolleyes:

Any more of Mette-Marit's mom? I think she handles herself with such dignity.

Last edited:
Kelly said:
The Parliament decided to let them marry but that her father would not attend the wedding.
And then Mrs. Zorreguieta decided that she'd side with her husband (he was never convicted for anything after all) and didn't attend either. :(

I guess one doesn't has to go out on a limb when saying that the Manleys and Queen Margrethe are at least friendly towards each other if not friends. They never talked to the press AFAIK, they were invited to gala events (and stood right beside their daughter during the greeting the guests) and still live on the ground of Joachim's Schackenborg where Princess Alexandra and the little boys visit them often. :)

Marengo said:
Laurentiens parents are one of the closest friends of Beatrix. She met Laurentiens mother in her studentdays in Leiden university already! Laurentiens father is still in gouverment and the present Vice Prime Minister & Minister of Economical affairs.

'apparently she did not want to come out of the swimmingpool to visit her new sister' this isn't correct, they were suppose to go swimming but they had to visit Pss Alexia in sted, Pss Amalia didn't like it. She wanted to swim, but because of the birth of her baby sister, she couldn't.

Does anyone have Queen Rania's mothers pictures?:)

imo I believe Queen Beatrix is a very friendly mother in law. I think she's a second mother to all her daughters in law :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom