The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Who is the nicest royal Mother-in-Law?
Queen Paola of Belgium 6 1.90%
Empress Michiko of Japan 3 0.95%
Queen Margrethe of Denmark 57 18.04%
Queen Noor of Jordan 6 1.90%
Queen Elizabeth of the United Kingdom 20 6.33%
Princess Marie of Liechtenstein 2 0.63%
Queen Sabika of Bahrain 0 0%
Queen Sofía of Spain 88 27.85%
Queen Sonja of Norway 27 8.54%
Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxembourg 21 6.65%
Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands 74 23.42%
Queen Anne-Marie of Greece 5 1.58%
Queen Anne of Romania 1 0.32%
Queen Saleha of Brunei 3 0.95%
Other (please specify) 3 0.95%
Voters: 316. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-2007, 09:43 PM
Royal Highness

I wish I knew more on the many other ladies listed but I voted for Queen Sofia, followed by Queen Margrethe. It's because they are the ones I read about the most on their relationship with their son's wives.

ps. don't leave out the Queen of Thailand! I'll make her my number 3 choice.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Serene Highness

Queen Sofia of Spain

Old 12-19-2007, 11:49 AM
Courtier

My vote goes to HM Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:30 AM
Heir Apparent

My vote is for Queen Sofía of Spain
Old 03-31-2008, 04:28 PM
Royal Highness

Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands
Old 03-31-2008, 05:01 PM
Nobility

I voted for Grand Duchess Maria-Teresa, she seems to have a wonderful relationship with Tessy and seems to have taken a lot of what has happened in her life with a lot of grace! A close second would have to be Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands!!!!
Old 03-31-2008, 06:09 PM

I am truly surprised by how many people chose Queen Sofia. She has always struck me as a formidable and reserved person. I've never sensed an extraordinary amount of warmth from her towards Letizia, and I can't forget all those rumors about how she and the King were less than thrilled with Felipe's choice of a wife, just because no one was ever going to be really good enough for them. (I remember people commenting that the King and Queen looked morose at the wedding.)

And most of all, I think the King and Queen's refusal to let Letizia ever do anything of substance indicates that they do not have much respect for her. All of the other Crown Princesses have their own projects and causes, give speeches, perform solo engagements, and earn respect through it. Letizia gets to do nothing. During her engagement, Letizia talked about using her journalistic skills as CP, so I don't believe she's in her current position by choice.

By the same measure, I rank the best mother-in-laws as Beatrix & Margrethe for respecting and trusting their daughters-in-law enough to let them flourish. Beatrix, in particular, has given Maxima an extraordinary amount of freedom to be involved in controversial issues like cultural integration and gay rights, and does not seem to resent that Maxima is the most popular member of the royal family.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:37 AM
Aristocracy

i vote for Queen Sofia of Spain.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:41 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I vote for Queen sofia
Old 04-01-2008, 08:24 AM

Queen Beatrix and Queen Sofia appear to have the warmest relationships with their daughter in laws. The image of Queen Beatrix with her family taken with shortly after the birth of Princess Ariane seems to say it all.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:20 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakes View Post
I am truly surprised by how many people chose Queen Sofia. She has always struck me as a formidable and reserved person. I've never sensed an extraordinary amount of warmth from her towards Letizia, and I can't forget all those rumors about how she and the King were less than thrilled with Felipe's choice of a wife, just because no one was ever going to be really good enough for them. (I remember people commenting that the King and Queen looked morose at the wedding.)

And most of all, I think the King and Queen's refusal to let Letizia ever do anything of substance indicates that they do not have much respect for her. All of the other Crown Princesses have their own projects and causes, give speeches, perform solo engagements, and earn respect through it. Letizia gets to do nothing. During her engagement, Letizia talked about using her journalistic skills as CP, so I don't believe she's in her current position by choice.

By the same measure, I rank the best mother-in-laws as Beatrix & Margrethe for respecting and trusting their daughters-in-law enough to let them flourish. Beatrix, in particular, has given Maxima an extraordinary amount of freedom to be involved in controversial issues like cultural integration and gay rights, and does not seem to resent that Maxima is the most popular member of the royal family.
Seriously you're surprised so many people vote for Sofia? If you've never sensed an extraordinary amount of warmth from her towards Letizia, then you missed a lot. Just check out all the pictures of the 2 women together. Sofia has really taken Letizia under her wing in the most sweet way, and has treated Letizia as her own daughter. There's no picture with the 2 of them on it which does not show extraordinary amount of warmth and love of Sofia towards Letizia and it's very visible Letizia adores, loves and respects her mother-in-law, they have a great relationship!
Old 04-28-2008, 03:26 PM
Commoner

QEII not sure why.

i think princess anne would be a great mom inlaw
Old 07-23-2008, 11:33 PM
Commoner

Queen Beatrix seems the most welcoming towards her daughters-in-law. She always appears to enjoy their company when in public. She is certainly generous in allowing them access to the jewelry.

If I remember correctly, Maxima wore a tiara or two prior to her wedding. I thought that was very kind of Her Majesty.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:44 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess leonor View Post
Seriously you're surprised so many people vote for Sofia? If you've never sensed an extraordinary amount of warmth from her towards Letizia, then you missed a lot. Just check out all the pictures of the 2 women together. Sofia has really taken Letizia under her wing in the most sweet way, and has treated Letizia as her own daughter. There's no picture with the 2 of them on it which does not show extraordinary amount of warmth and love of Sofia towards Letizia and it's very visible Letizia adores, loves and respects her mother-in-law, they have a great relationship!
We must not forget that first and foremost Sofia, for me apart from QEII the most professional Queen around, is interested in the survival of the fragile spanish monarchy and Letizia making her way is a crucial factor. I don't know whether they truly get along in reality as pictures try to make us believe but Sofia is certainly clever enough to give utmost support because everything else would mean a desaster, not only for the monarchy but also for Sofia herself, putting her relationship with her son and grandchildren at risk.

I voted for Beatrix - I see having her the best relation to all her daughters in law.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:16 PM
Royal Highness

my prefer
Queen Beatrix
Queen Sofia
Queen Paola
Old 11-15-2008, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

She isn't properly a mother-in-law, but I think Queen Fabiola...
Old 11-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Courtier

I think from what I have read and pictures/video I have seen:
1. Queen Beatrix
2. Queen Sonja of Norway
Old 11-15-2008, 03:05 PM
Gentry

queen latifa
Old 11-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Nobility

I think that Queen Sofia seems like a great mother-in-law but I voted for Grand Duchess Maria Teresa. She seems very down to earth and loving.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:13 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakhim View Post
queen latifa
What?