Who's the nicest Royal Mother in Law?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who is the nicest royal Mother-in-Law?

• Queen Paola of Belgium

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Empress Michiko of Japan

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Queen Margrethe of Denmark

Votes: 58 17.8%
  • Queen Noor of Jordan

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Queen Elizabeth of the United Kingdom

Votes: 20 6.2%
  • Princess Marie of Liechtenstein

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Queen Sabika of Bahrain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Queen Sofía of Spain

Votes: 88 27.1%
  • Queen Sonja of Norway

Votes: 30 9.2%
  • Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxembourg

Votes: 21 6.5%
  • Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands

Votes: 76 23.4%
  • Queen Anne-Marie of Greece

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • Queen Anne of Romania

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Queen Saleha of Brunei

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 4 1.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would also vote for Queen Beatrix - she seems to have wonderful relationships with all her daughter-in-laws.
Queen Sonja and Queen Sofia seem to be great Mother-in-Laws as well.

My vote goes to Queen Sofia of Spain and Queen Beatrix

I've seen pics of Queen Sofia and CP Letizia holding hands. I just get the feeling that she is very kind to her.

Last edited:
I would say:

Queen Sonja - I think Mette-Marit is very lucky to have her as mother-in-law. I think Sonja exactly knows how MM must feel as a Commoner in a Royal house. I can imagine that she supported her during the first time...
Just because Sonja knew how it feels to be "not-allowed" to marry the big love and how it feels to become a Royal person with many Duties so suddenly...
Also Ari Behn seems to be his mother-in-law's darling...

Queen Beatrix - She seems to have such a good relationship with all "daughters", just as Avalon and Aquarela . She always looks so proud of them.

Queen Sofia - I just had a look through the "Royals and In-Laws" thread... and there were so many gestures between Sofia and her In-laws´. She generally seems to be a very warm and friendly person.

Yes, I think Queen Beatrix is extremely close to her daughters-in-law. She seems to see them as the daughters she never had. She has openly expressed her pride in 'the gifted and talented' ladies she has begotten as her daughters-in-law.

It shows in many things. Princess Laurentien never escaping from her side when the despaired Queen had to support her dying spouse.

Princess Mabel who always and ever receives a prominent place and even wore her mother-in-law's 1964 engagement dress.

Princess Máxima who is given all access and all support and all guidance to all and everything she needs to know as the future Lady of the House.

I vote for:
Queen Beatrix - she is not only a friendly mother in law but also a so tender grandmother. At least, from what I see in the pictures.

Queen Sofia - she seems very relaxed and happy in presence of Letizia, Jaime de Marichalar and Iñaki Urdangarin

Queen Sonja - for the great support she gave to Mette-Marit

I would like to vote for Queen Silvia but that is not possible yet :D

Id say Queen Sofia of Spain, she was so supportive to Letizia when Erika died!

QUEEN SOFIA! .. she has supported very much Letizia, is very sweet and affectionate with her!

Last edited:
I vote for Sofia of Spain :wub: She seems to have a wonderful relationship with all of her inlaws, but I especially love the way she is with Letizia. it's like mother and daughter

princess leonor said:
I vote for Sofia of Spain :wub: She seems to have a wonderful relationship with all of her inlaws, but I especially love the way she is with Letizia. it's like mother and daughter

Yesss! Sofia is special with all of her inlaws...:wub: and with letizia she is so sweet, they really look like mother and daughter:flowers:

I think Queen Beatrix is the nicest. For example, on Queen's Day she said something like "we're all missing our Maxima". I couldn't imagine Queen Elizabeth saying anything like that. She seems a lovely grandmother too!

Closely following is Queen Sofia. She seems a great friend and support to Letizia; and again, a lovely grandmother.

I notice that Queen Elizabeth II did good relationship with Countness of wessex Sophie... Are they?? I know QEII did not good relationship with the late of princess of wales and Ex duchess of York Sarah Fergerson...

I think Sofia did great with daugther in law.. I think that all I can think...

Yes karla64, QEII does have a good relationship with Sophie.

I don't think they were as close in the early days though (eg, I seem to recall that the day Sophie had an ectopic pregnancy QEII carried on with her engagements and never visited her in hospital). However, I think their relationship strengthened after the deaths of Princess Margaret and the Queen Mother. Sophie now accompanies QEII in her car at Christmas etc.

She doesn't seem to have the same closeness with Camilla?

BeautyLeonor said:
Yesss! Sofia is special with all of her inlaws...:wub: and with letizia she is so sweet, they really look like mother and daughter:flowers:

Not to mention the fact that Queen Sofia has a namesakes in the new little princess.:wub: :flowers: I thought that was so sweet.:angel:

I think that Queen Sofia is a great one!

I think it speaks volumes that it was Letizia who wanted her second daughter to be named after Queen Sofia.

I wonder why Margrethe is not mentioned here at all? I have not heard much about the relationship between Mary and Alexandra and Margrethe.

I have to admit that I think the three main women mentioned here have proven to be admirable mothers in law. I love my mother in law, and I know that is not generally the case, so those of us that have ones that we hove, especially when in such a prominent position as the CPs are in should count their lucky stars! I think that Beatrix,Sofia and Sonja are great.

On another note entirely, isn't it funny that this generation of Queens have so many names that start with S and the next so many that start with M?

karla64 said:
I notice that Queen Elizabeth II did good relationship with Countness of wessex Sophie... Are they?? I know QEII did not good relationship with the late of princess of wales and Ex duchess of York Sarah Fergerson...

I think Sofia did great with daugther in law.. I think that all I can think...
The Queen and the Princess of Wales' relationship wasn't bad they were on speaking terms before the Princess died.

Firstly I think, that there is no one, who really has a bad relationship with her daughter-in-law these days. Even not the british queen. Margrethe and Paola seem a little more distant to their daughters-in-law, but that just because they prefer to do their own things.

Since there are only a couple of choices, I think, it´s a little silly to choose 3 ;) I mean one needs a favourite...and that is clearly Queen Beatrix. She really seems to be on one level with her daughters-in-law.

The very appreciated Sofia, I wouldn´t choose on the very top, because she is so crazy for children. I wonder, if there wouldn´t be a Leonor and a Sofia jr., how things would be with Leti. And well...who wouldn´t have been supportive in this very special situation around the death of Leti´s sister. That she had to deal additionally with the press in this dark moment was, because she married her son.
Nonetheless I think, they are having quite a good relationship these days.

Queen Sonja I´d also see as a little more independent, but on very good terms with her daughter-in-law, who is sometimes so similar looking to her.

And Maria Teresa...I think based on her own problems with her mother-in-law and with her big motherheart, she is quite liberal and trying her very best...and so Tessy doesn´t have a hard time with her. I´m just wondering, if she isn´t sometimes a bit too much of a mother hen. Well, I guess, we would get to see that with Guillaume´s wife one day. Louis and Tessy have some distance and MT+Tessy hardly ever have to work together...

I´m really looking forward to Silvia´s role as mother-in-law. Her role will be special, because the in-law, she (probably) will mainly working with, is a guy...a guy, who couldn´t be more different to her.
If Carl Philip would marry Emma, I guess she would be more than delighted. At this point, one can´t say, if they are sharing characters, but at least she is very much looking like her. And didn´t Carl Philip once say "Mamma is the most beautiful woman in the world"? :D

Last edited:
I have added a poll to this thread. I limited the choices that are to listed in the poll to Queens & Consorts. If you feel that another is the nicest and they are not listed then please choose other.
Don't forget to explain why you picked who you did.

Last edited:
For me it is a toss up between QBeatrix, QSophia, and GDMaria Teresa. They all seem like they have great relationships with their son/daughters in law. They have great personalities which would make them a great mother in law to have.

i believe that queen margarethe is the nicest royal mother in law. The compassion she showed to crown princess Mary and Princess Alexandra post divorce was really wonderful.......:)

I think Queen Beatrix,she seems to have such a wonderful relationship with her daughters-in-law.

Although Sofia's a popular choice she strikes me as being quite a demanding mother-in-law, particularly so far as her son is concerned. Her and Felipe areincredibly close and I copuld see how that might be quite difficult for Letizia.

i think queen beatrix and grand duchess maria teresa are the nicest with their in-laws.

This is a very difficult poll, because we can't know how they are when they are not in front of the camera's! I voted Queen Sofia, because I remember she gave a sharp to her daughter in law Letizia in public. They seem to have a very good relationship.

carlota said:
i think queen beatrix and grand duchess maria teresa are the nicest with their in-laws.

I think the same as you do,but i picked Queen Beatrix when i had to answer in the poll:flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom