Who Will Reign Next

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't say so. Grand Duke Jean was 79 when he abdicated, Grand Duke Henri would be 71 in 2025, so quiet a bit younger.

You are right; it is mostly about the age they ascended the throne - the ages of their abdication varies a bit more depending on how old they were when their heir was born.

And about Eswatini, who's the crown prince?

Barring any unexpected death’s i would say HGD Gulliaume, as Luxembourg has the Nassau-tradition of abdications.

Though i am worried for how much longer King Haralds health will allow him to continue… But they are not many in the Norwegian RF and Ingrid and Magnus must still have time for education. So i think he will really make an effort to hang on for a few more years…

Last edited:
Though i am worried for much longer King Haralds health will allow him to continue… But they are not many in the Norwegian RF and Ingrid and Magnus must still have time for education. So i think he will really make an effort to hang on for a few more years…

Might be that Harald won't be with us very long. He is already pretty old and in por health. I was actually bit surprised that he even attended to the queen's funeral altough couldn't even stand properly with his own feet.

You are right; it is mostly about the age they ascended the throne - the ages of their abdication varies a bit more depending on how old they were when their heir was born.

Also in the other Nassau branch, the abdications were when the Heirs were their forties:
Willem II (47)
Juliana (39) - woud reign for 32 more years
Beatrix (42) - would reign for 33 more years
Willem-Alexander (46) - now in the 10th year of his Reign
This would mean Willem-Alexander traditionally reigning for at least 20 more years

This is true. Guillaume's heir(Prince Charles) is still a toddler of 2 years.

So if Guillaume comes to the throne in his mid 40's per Nassau tradition, he will be in his late 60's before Charles has completed his education and is ready to succeed him.

The "oldest" of the new generations of kings at the moment is king Willem Alexander he will be king of the Netherlands this year 10 years in April on the throne.

Good question who will reign because I'm very curious myself

People are living longer and starting families later and later.

Of the Current European Monarch from oldest to youngest

Harald V of Norway aged 85
Heir : Crown Prince Haakon aged 49

Margrethe II of Denmark aged 82
Heir : Crown Prince Frederick aged 54

Hans-Adam II, Prince of Liechtenstein aged 77
Heir : Alois, Hereditary Prince of Liechtenstein aged 54

Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden ,aged 76
Heir : Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden, Duchess of Västergötland aged 45

Charles III of the Untied Kingdom aged 74
Heir : William, Prince of Wales aged 40

Henri, Grand Duke of Luxembourg aged 67
Heir : Guillaume, Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg aged 41

Albert II, Prince of Monaco aged 64
Heir : Jacques, Hereditary Prince of Monaco, Marquis of Baux aged 8

King Philippe of Belgium aged 62
Heir : Princess Elisabeth, Duchess of Brabant aged 21

Willem-Alexander ,King of the Netherlands aged 55
Heir : Catharina-Amalia, Princess of Orange aged 19

King Felipe VI of Spain
Heir : Leonor, Princess of Asturias aged 17

Of the Current European Monarch from oldest to youngest

Harald V of Norway aged 85
Heir : Crown Prince Haakon aged 49

Margrethe II of Denmark aged 82
Heir : Crown Prince Frederick aged 54

Hans-Adam II, Prince of Liechtenstein aged 77
Heir : Alois, Hereditary Prince of Liechtenstein aged 54

Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden ,aged 76
Heir : Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden, Duchess of Västergötland aged 45

Charles III of the Untied Kingdom aged 74
Heir : William, Prince of Wales aged 40

Henri, Grand Duke of Luxembourg aged 67
Heir : Guillaume, Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg aged 41

Albert II, Prince of Monaco aged 64
Heir : Jacques, Hereditary Prince of Monaco, Marquis of Baux aged 8

King Philippe of Belgium aged 62
Heir : Princess Elisabeth, Duchess of Brabant aged 21

Willem-Alexander ,King of the Netherlands aged 55
Heir : Catharina-Amalia, Princess of Orange aged 19

King Felipe VI of Spain
Heir : Leonor, Princess of Asturias aged 17

Frederik probably has a long wait. I see him as the next Prince (now King) Charles....maybe even older that Charles when (or even if) he gets to take over. Little Charles from Luxemborg will probably take over before Frederik gets to.

of the Scandinavian heirs - Haakon then Victoria (IMO) - Harald may actually need to think about stepping aside as his health is really in not the best of states. QMII should have thought about stepping aside already....given her health issues and now mobility issues - she should have looked to her BFF Princess (FKA Queen) Beatrix for how to step aside gracefully while still being visible attending events but w/out the pressures of being monarch.

Amalia will most likely take over around the same age as W-A did...which is a good age to take over.

An heir should take over in their prime and have the time to make their own mark. Not when they are in their late 70s early 80s! It creates a domino effect where a new monarch is older and older when they take over. It makes zero sense in the POV of wanting these monarchies to actually survive an stay relevant.

Frederik probably has a long wait. I see him as the next Prince (now King) Charles....maybe even older that Charles when (or even if) he gets to take over. Little Charles from Luxemborg will probably take over before Frederik gets to.

of the Scandinavian heirs - Haakon then Victoria (IMO) - Harald may actually need to think about stepping aside as his health is really in not the best of states. QMII should have thought about stepping aside already....given her health issues and now mobility issues - she should have looked to her BFF Princess (FKA Queen) Beatrix for how to step aside gracefully while still being visible attending events but w/out the pressures of being monarch.

Amalia will most likely take over around the same age as W-A did...which is a good age to take over.

An heir should take over in their prime and have the time to make their own mark. Not when they are in their late 70s early 80s! It creates a domino effect where a new monarch is older and older when they take over. It makes zero sense in the POV of wanting these monarchies to actually survive an stay relevant.

I don't think at all that Prince Charles will take the throne before Frederik.
I think the next to be King will be Haakon of Norway, as King Harald's health is suffering.
Guillaume must also assume the throne in the coming years, as Grand Duke Henri must abdicate.

Do you really think that Margrethe will reign until she is over a 100 years old? Because that is required for Frederick to be older than Charles (who was 73 - 2 months short of 74 - when he became king) when he ascends the throne. Imho that seems unlike. Of course, there are smokers that defy the odds but it doesn't seem likely she will live another 2 decades.

Of course, in practice Frederik and Mary are largely fulfilling the role of regal couple nowadays - just like Charles took over many of his mother's responsibilities in her final years. However, that is still different from being the monarch (or even the permanent regent - like in Liechtenstein).

A regency seems more likely in Denmark than an abdication; but both Harald and Margrethe aren't in the best of health; although you can get rather old with back problems, Harald seems to have more serious (and various) issues in that respect.

Early 80s seems a stretch even with the current longevity in the European monarchies where normally children take over and not siblings.

But I fully agree that a heir taking over in their mid-40s is ideal. Which is why I expect Guillaume to be taking over in the next 5 years - as Luxembourg seems to understand that principle as well (and MT is looking forward to her husband's retirement) - even though Henri is relatively young compared to most of his fellow monarchs.

Do you really think that Margrethe will reign until she is over a 100 years old? Because that is required for Frederick to be older than Charles (who was 73 - 2 months short of 74 - when he became king) when he ascends the throne. Imho that seems unlike. Of course, there are smokers that defy the odds but it doesn't seem likely she will live another 2 decades.

Of course, in practice Frederik and Mary are largely fulfilling the role of regal couple nowadays - just like Charles took over many of his mother's responsibilities in her final years. However, that is still different from being the monarch (or even the permanent regent - like in Liechtenstein).

A regency seems more likely in Denmark than an abdication; but both Harald and Margrethe aren't in the best of health; although you can get rather old with back problems, Harald seems to have more serious (and various) issues in that respect.

Early 80s seems a stretch even with the current longevity in the European monarchies where normally children take over and not siblings.

But I fully agree that a heir taking over in their mid-40s is ideal. Which is why I expect Guillaume to be taking over in the next 5 years - as Luxembourg seems to understand that principle as well (and MT is looking forward to her husband's retirement) - even though Henri is relatively young compared to most of his fellow monarchs.

Well QMII just turned 83. Frederik s about to turn 55 this month. If QMII is monarch until the same age as QEII was at 96 that's another 13 years. That will put Frederik at 68 approximately. Besides, she has said she will stay on the throne until she falls off...okey dokey. That is not about fulfilling some duty that is just stubborn and ego because at that point they are not fulfilling their role (one that some think they were given by some divinity)....QMII was anointed by the ink of a pen changing the law of succession. King Charles was anointed by an abdication.

Do people actually think it is fair that the heir just continues to do increasingly all the heavy lifting while the aging monarch delegates more and more....so the heir is basically fulfilling the duties of the monarch...w/o being monarch. So, technically at that point, the monarch is unable to fulfill the basic duties of their position. So get perks/title without fulfilling duties of said role. Just can't understand that. Sorry. Maybe I am just a dumb American.

And if Frederik and Mary have been basically the regent couple for years now...just make them the regent couple!!! It is like dangling something in front of someone's face and then going ha ha you have to wait until I die to have it! Does that sounds harsh? Well, too bad...that is exactly what it sounds like. Oh but in the meantime, please do all the heavy lifting while I pick and choose the fun events!

Anyway - Frederik IMO should find a comfy couch to sit and wait.
Haakon may too...but in Haakon's case there are some extenuating circumstances IMO given Mette-Marit's health concerns.

I think it’ll be Haakon next, followed by Guillame (his father will abdicate).

Well QMII just turned 83. Frederik s about to turn 55 this month. If QMII is monarch until the same age as QEII was at 96 that's another 13 years. That will put Frederik at 68 approximately. Besides, she has said she will stay on the throne until she falls off...okey dokey. That is not about fulfilling some duty that is just stubborn and ego because at that point they are not fulfilling their role (one that some think they were given by some divinity)....QMII was anointed by the ink of a pen changing the law of succession. King Charles was anointed by an abdication.
Exactly, even if Margrethe is a monarch for another 13 years, Frederik will still be at 5 years younger than Charles when he took over while you indicated that he might be even older than Charles when (or if) he gets to take over... So, it seems we in fact agree that that situation is extremely unlikely.

And I don't think Elizabeth's age is the new 'standard' for all monarchs. Few people get that old. Margrethe's mother reached the blessed age of 90, while her father died at the age of 72.

Do people actually think it is fair that the heir just continues to do increasingly all the heavy lifting while the aging monarch delegates more and more....so the heir is basically fulfilling the duties of the monarch...w/o being monarch. So, technically at that point, the monarch is unable to fulfill the basic duties of their position. So get perks/title without fulfilling duties of said role. Just can't understand that. Sorry. Maybe I am just a dumb American.
I don't; which is why I am in favor of abdication when the heir is in his or her forties (and before the monarch's health starts to deteriorate too much - as evidenced by the need for health-related regencies or no longer being able to fulfill duties that the monarch previously regularly did --> so in most cases at the latest by the age of 80 (which happens to be the age limit for cardinals in the Roman Catholic church to continue to have a say in who the next pope is; although the age of 75 is already the moment bishops are expected to resign --> which seems a pretty good indication for monarchs as well; depending on their own health and the age and family circumstances of the heir they can add a few more years or less).

And if Frederik and Mary have been basically the regent couple for years now...just make them the regent couple!!! It is like dangling something in front of someone's face and then going ha ha you have to wait until I die to have it! Does that sounds harsh? Well, too bad...that is exactly what it sounds like. Oh but in the meantime, please do all the heavy lifting while I pick and choose the fun events!

Anyway - Frederik IMO should find a comfy couch to sit and wait.
Haakon may too...but in Haakon's case there are some extenuating circumstances IMO given Mette-Marit's health concerns.
I don't think the right response is to refuse to take on what your aging parent no longer can do but those prolonged or frequent illnesses are a pretty clear indication that abdication or (if that is truly out of the question) a permanent regency should be seriously looked into as options.

After all his health issues I think the next "coronation" we will see in Norway.

After all his health issues I think the next "coronation" we will see in Norway.

Has Harald ever spoken in public about a possible abdication? We know that QMII has said that she doesn't indend to abdicate, but has Harald said the same?

I also think that Norway is in a special situation. They don't have a pool of working royals, or royals at all. Compare to Sweden. Even if CG is in reasonable health, I think that Victoria would be more than ready in a couple of years (when the kids are a bit older). She has support from her siblings - Madeleine is moving back to Sweden this summer - who can do occasional jobs until her own kids are old enough, and is very popular herself.

But in Norway, Mette-Marits health isn't good. Märtha is... out with the shaman on adventures. Ingrid Alexandra seems to be a very capable and smart heir, but she's also very young. So I personally think that Harald is hanging in there as king because he knows that Haakon will have to carry a heavy workload when he becomes king.

Has Harald ever spoken in public about a possible abdication? We know that QMII has said that she doesn't indend to abdicate, but has Harald said the same?

I also think that Norway is in a special situation. They don't have a pool of working royals, or royals at all. Compare to Sweden. Even if CG is in reasonable health, I think that Victoria would be more than ready in a couple of years (when the kids are a bit older). She has support from her siblings - Madeleine is moving back to Sweden this summer - who can do occasional jobs until her own kids are old enough, and is very popular herself.

But in Norway, Mette-Marits health isn't good. Märtha is... out with the shaman on adventures. Ingrid Alexandra seems to be a very capable and smart heir, but she's also very young. So I personally think that Harald is hanging in there as king because he knows that Haakon will have to carry a heavy workload when he becomes king.
The King told Dagbladet in connection with his 80th birthday that:-"I once swore an oath to be Norway's king and I intend to keep it. The oath is vfor life"
He also said that:-"We're four in our team. We work closely together and often talk to each other. It's a way of working that was introduced by me. I wish that I had had that help myself as crown prince."

Queen Margrethe II continues to discharge the constitutional duties of the Head of State such as forming the government and signing bills into law. So I think it is a stretch to say that Frederik has been a de facto Regent in recent times. In fact, Queen Margrethe II until recently was even doing the more heavy-lift ceremonial duties of the monarch such as state visits.

Regardless of her health status, I don't think we should read too much into her absence at King Charles III's coronation. Even if she were in perfect health, it is possible that she may not have attended anyway as it would have been against tradition to attend another monarch's coronation and the Queen strikes me as a traditionalist.

The real test will be if she attends King Carl Gustaf's golden jubilee dinner in the second semester, and if she resumes state visits after her recovery. There is for example a pending Spanish state visit which has not been rescheduled yet.

As of today, i think it’s a question mark between Haakon and Gulliaume about who will come to the throne first.
Luxembourg has the tradition of abdication and both Henri and in particular M-T has indicated that they will follow that tradition…
And in Norway King Harald has to spend several days at Hospital every year now… He is 86 now so it won’t get easier from here…

I still think we are far away from a long term regency in Denmark.
But i think the coming months will be a trial for Queen Margrethe who has now done her back surgery and is in a period of rehabilitation… The coming months and year will be a test for her, to see what she can do and what she can’t…

The King of Sweden is 77 and until recently seemed to be a very fit man for his age… During the pandemic, the Royal Couple was vaccinated as a ”medical risk group” so either C-G or Silvia may have something that we don’t know about… And very recently he had a heart surgery, albeit a keyhole procedure and not an open surgery, indicating that it may be The King himself who have had some medical problems and not Queen Silvia wich there has been speculations about in Swedish media…
In the coming years i can see him sharing more and more of the burden with Victoria but a regency or abdication is not close…

Last edited:
As of today, i think it’s a question mark between Haakon and Gulliaume about who will come to the throne first.
Luxembourg has the tradition of abdication and both Henri and in particular M-T has indicated that they will follow that tradition…
And in Norway King Harald has to spend several days at Hospital every year now… He is 86 now so it won’t get easier from here…

But i think the coming months will be a trial for Queen Margrethe who has now done her back surgery and is in a period of rehabilitation… The coming months and year will be a test for her, to see what she can do and what she can’t…

The King of Sweden is 77 and until recently seemed to be a very fit man for his age… During the pandemic, the Royal Couple was vaccinated as a ”medical risk group” so either C-G or Silvia may have something that we don’t know about… And very recently he had a heart surgery, albeit a keyhole procedure and not an open surgery, indicating that it may be The King himself who have had some medical problems and not Queen Silvia wich there has been speculations about in Swedish media…
In the coming years i can see him sharing more and more of the burden with Victoria but a regency or abdication is not close…

Anyone over 60 , and most certainly anyone over 70, is in the “ medical risk group” for Covid, so I don’t think that means anything in terms of an unknown medical condition.

Anyone over 60 , and most certainly anyone over 70, is in the “ medical risk group” for Covid, so I don’t think that means anything in terms of an unknown medical condition.

Yes but they was vaccinated before the vaccination of 70+ started in Sweden… The King’s surgeon decided without going into further details that they should be vaccinated immediately and not wait for their age-group… That’s what was pointing towards underlying conditions…

Last edited:

And her had COVID-19 soon after queen EII's funeral. Furthermore queen Margarethe has not healthiest lifehabits. So probably we have not wait very long until something more serious is around.

Whatever problem CG had with his heart surgery probably fixed that so he got more years. Many men on his age have some surgeons so that is not so unusual. And taking longlivety of Bernadottes I think that he could still live easily at end of 2030's. But yes, probably during coming years he is giving more duties to Victoria.

Queen Margrethe II continues to discharge the constitutional duties of the Head of State such as forming the government and signing bills into law. So I think it is a stretch to say that Frederik has been a de facto Regent in recent times. In fact, Queen Margrethe II until recently was even doing the more heavy-lift ceremonial duties of the monarch such as state visits.

Regardless of her health status, I don't think we should read too much into her absence at King Charles III's coronation. Even if she were in perfect health, it is possible that she may not have attended anyway as it would have been against tradition to attend another monarch's coronation and the Queen strikes me as a traditionalist.

The real test will be if she attends King Carl Gustaf's golden jubilee dinner in the second semester, and if she resumes state visits after her recovery. There is for example a pending Spanish state visit which has not been rescheduled yet.

The last outgoing state visit was Germany and it was pretty sedentary for her in comparison with the state visits of other royal families. There is allegedly a pending state visit from Spain to Denmark which, given the pattern in the years since about 2009, the bulk of it is handled by Mary and Frederik as de facto hosts. They are the house to escort the visiting head of state and their spouse during their visit. QMII greets them at the palace and gives a speech at the dinner. Other than that, she is not seen on these incoming state visits. Isn't that one of the bigger constitutional duties? Who is fulfilling the bulk of that one?

So signing bills, etc. is the only thing she has to fulfill as monarch? Didn't QEII always say you had to be seen to be believed. She is seen even less than King Harald. And no, it is not because of her surgery. It was happening before that.

And a person can take any many "oaths for life" as they want. That does not mean that they will not come to a point that they are physically (or mentally) able to fulfill the full requirements of the position they swore the oath to. Being a good leader sometimes means knowing when you've done more than your duty and it is time to step aside for the good of the business (in this case the monarchy) and in order for that business (monarchy) to move forward and be able to keep up. That is when you show that something is bigger and more important than yourself. Sometimes you really need to sit and have some self-awareness and awareness for things around you.

At some point, a monarchy could literally age itself out of relevancy and existence. Having heirs that are older and older is a domino effect that has consequences.

The last outgoing state visit was Germany and it was pretty sedentary for her in comparison with the state visits of other royal families. There is allegedly a pending state visit from Spain to Denmark which, given the pattern in the years since about 2009, the bulk of it is handled by Mary and Frederik as de facto hosts. They are the house to escort the visiting head of state and their spouse during their visit. QMII greets them at the palace and gives a speech at the dinner. Other than that, she is not seen on these incoming state visits. Isn't that one of the bigger constitutional duties? Who is fulfilling the bulk of that one?

So signing bills, etc. is the only thing she has to fulfill as monarch? Didn't QEII always say you had to be seen to be believed. She is seen even less than King Harald. And no, it is not because of her surgery. It was happening before that.

And a person can take any many "oaths for life" as they want. That does not mean that they will not come to a point that they are physically (or mentally) able to fulfill the full requirements of the position they swore the oath to. Being a good leader sometimes means knowing when you've done more than your duty and it is time to step aside for the good of the business (in this case the monarchy) and in order for that business (monarchy) to move forward and be able to keep up. That is when you show that something is bigger and more important than yourself. Sometimes you really need to sit and have some self-awareness and awareness for things around you.

At some point, a monarchy could literally age itself out of relevancy and existence. Having heirs that are older and older is a domino effect that has consequences.

I take it you're not Danish, right? I haven't read anything about the Danes wanting to get rid of their Queen, the same with the other two Scandinavian Monarchs. We want to keep them as long as possible, thank you very much.
As for not being able to fullfill all the duties, it only gets relevant if they develop dementia, something non of them has, they're still razor sharp.

A back problem is not a reason to abdicate, there are wheelchairs, President Roosevelt ruled for twelve years in one, no problem.
What I hear you saying is that nobody who is not physically absolutely fit should not work. I find that offensive.

Mobility issues doesn’t have to be a reason for abdications… Neither does back problems… There is good help to get around nowdays…

One can be seen to be belived in many ways today… Virtually in front of a webcam or being photographed doing things, like we saw the late QEII being during her last years…. She didn’t wanted to be photographed in a wheelchair and that was her choice… Had she felt comfortable with that, i’m sure she would have been seen even more, but she had the same right to choose as everyone else…

Being able to go abroad on state visits is always nice, but it’s hardly a requirement to reign. Not does it cause any diplomatic crisis’s…

I may be too oldfashioned for some here but i don’t care about that… I think Monarch’s who wants to reign for life deserves respect for that. Not being ridiculed and insulted… Same with monarch’s who chooses by free will to retire…. Then it’s their choice after their heart…
It just makes me so sad to see how easy it is to attack people who may not be as sporty and slimfit as before… There is good aid today to live a great life even high up in age…

And if there are 2 countries on earth where the monarchy is in no danger of being shifted out to a republic, it is Denmark and Norway

I take it you're not Danish, right? I haven't read anything about the Danes wanting to get rid of their Queen, the same with the other two Scandinavian Monarchs. We want to keep them as long as possible, thank you very much.
As for not being able to fullfill all the duties, it only gets relevant if they develop dementia, something non of them has, they're still razor sharp.

A back problem is not a reason to abdicate, there are wheelchairs, President Roosevelt ruled for twelve years in one, no problem.
What I hear you saying is that nobody who is not physically absolutely fit should not work. I find that offensive.

As a Dane, I agree and I'm very certain the vast majority of Danes would, too.

And preach on that last paragraph as well! Some people on here's desperation to send QMII (who is sharp as ever) into involuntary retirement is getting a bit weird.

Exactly this! Of course everyone's entitled to their own opinion but I've never understood the "de facto regent couple" nonsense nor do I think it's reflected in the reality of the situation.

The past 3 months aside, QMII has never slacked on her constitutional and ceremonial duties – the duties that define the role of a regent. She's never absent from Councils of State, Openings of the Parliament, New Year's Levées etc. I see a lot of hullaboo about state visits and the lack thereof – and more specifically lack of incoming visits – in recent years and I really don't understand it? The fact that we're just coming off of 2+ years of a worldwide pandemic aside, surely the argument is not that QMII – who undertook an outgoing state visit less than two years ago – is opposing incoming (and as such even easier manageable) state visits?

Yes, M&F have stepped up their workload in recent years. Well obviously they have, one could be tempted to say, as the DRF's simultaneously had to work around Henrik's retirement and J&M's unwillingness to commit to full-time work. But they're no more "de facto regent couple" than Charles and Camilla were when QEII was alive.

Personally, I find the idea and desire to see a continually aging monarch stay on and on until their 90s as things get harder for them to do and be as QMII has said, stay on the throne until they fall off....well, I find the desire and insistence on that image to be even more offensive than saying someone after giving 50 years of service, deserves to retire and enjoy a much deserved and well-earned rest in their later years.
And I seriously doubt that any Dane (from the impression I get of them) would begrudge or be upset if QMII announced she was stepping down.

Oh and she can still be a much loved and visible figure even if she retires..unless those pouncing on my opinion thing that once a person retires they top being useful or capable of doing other activities...talk about ageism if that is the case!! But that is getting off the point that I made that was obviously missed.

To each their own. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: And every monarch who wishes to retire should certainly have the right to do so. Only QMII has made it exceedingly clear that it isn't a wish she shares.

Meaning that the public's "desire" to see QMII "remain on the throne until she falls off" isn't a desire to see her grow old and weary but for her to continue doing a job she wants to do and thrives in.

Danes would be sad to see QMII stepping down but no, we certainly wouldn't begrudge it. But we certainly wouldn't want to force her into retirement either as you seem to suggest we should.

Back
Top Bottom