The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-12-2004, 06:29 PM
Aristocracy

So which of the next generation (save Lich. in August) of royals will asend to the throne? I heard that some think W-A, is that the common view - that Beatrix will be the next to step down? Any opinions?

Old 05-12-2004, 09:47 PM
Nobility

W-A is thought to be because of the abdication trend in the Netherlands. Yet when he becomes king, he will not have a coronation, he will be enthroned. The only European heirs most likely to have a coronation are the Prince of Wales and Prince William.

Old 06-10-2004, 05:26 AM
Nobility

I think the next coronation will be in Tonga when the present King dies. He is now 86 and not in the best of health.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:29 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by A.C.C.@May 13th, 2004 - 2:47 am
W-A is thought to be because of the abdication trend in the Netherlands. Yet when he becomes king, he will not have a coronation, he will be enthroned. The only European heirs most likely to have a coronation are the Prince of Wales and Prince William.
There is no abdication trend in the Netherlands.
Old 06-10-2004, 03:27 PM
Aristocracy

I would probably guess that the next enthronement will be for Albert of Monaco. Prince Rainier III is not in such good health, and has not been for some time. Although it's sad, I would have to predict that the next monarch to die will be Rainier.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:18 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally posted by bct88@Jun 10th, 2004 - 2:27 pm
I would probably guess that the next enthronement will be for Albert of Monaco. Prince Rainier III is not in such good health, and has not been for some time. Although it's sad, I would have to predict that the next monarch to die will be Rainier.
I agree sadly I think Prince Rainier III will pass away soon. As for Queen Beatrix, I am not sure she will abdicate or not and if she does it will not be for along time, she seems to like her job too much.

I think a number of the present Monarchs will die before Queen Elizabeth II...even though she is nearing 80...odds are she will be on the throne for at least another 20 to 25 years.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:14 PM
Aristocracy

I believe that Elizabeth II could live as long as her mother. She doesn't seem to slow down, and I give her a lot of credit for doing things at her age that others her age can't.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by royal_sophietje+Jun 10th, 2004 - 3:29 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (royal_sophietje @ Jun 10th, 2004 - 3:29 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-A.C.C.@May 13th, 2004 - 2:47 am
W-A is thought to be because of the abdication trend in the Netherlands.&nbsp; Yet when he becomes king, he will not have a coronation, he will be enthroned.&nbsp; The only European heirs most likely to have a coronation are the Prince of Wales and Prince William.
There is no abdication trend in the Netherlands. [/b][/quote]
Erm, the two previous monarchs have abdicated. That can be considered a trend/tradition. The tradition also seems to exist in Luxembourg with Charlotte and Jean voluntarily abdicating and Marie-Adelheid involuntarily doing so.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:12 AM
Majesty

I have no idee
Old 11-16-2004, 10:47 AM
Heir Apparent

My guess is that the next enthronement will be for Prince Rainier's successor... He seems quite fragile now.

The only country in Europe that does the traditional coronation thing is Great Britain, so the next coronation will be over there for The Prince of Wales. But I think Queen Elizabeth will be alive and kickin' at her job for some years yet to come!
Old 11-16-2004, 02:53 PM
Aristocracy

Yes but Western-Samoa? And Dubai? Saud-Arabia? Qatar?
These monarchs are old too!
Old 11-16-2004, 05:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Sosnowitz
Yes but Western-Samoa? And Dubai? Saud-Arabia? Qatar?
These monarchs are old too!
If you mean my post, I was thinking in the European perspective... Sorry, maybe I should've made that clear... I don't know enough about the non-European Succession rules to answer this question, they seem so different and "insecure" compared to the European Royal House's Lines of Succession...
Old 11-20-2004, 12:02 AM
Aristocracy

The thing is, no one except the most immediate family knows about the complete state of health of reigning sovereigns. I remember how shocked I was when King Baudouin died and he seemed relatively young, not very old. Yet apparently he had had a history of heart problems which the royal court officials minimised when they had to discuss it at all. For that reason, the ones I really wonder about at the moment are King Harald of Norway and Prince Rainier.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

I know it isn't European, but Emperor Akihito seems to be looking rather frail, and he's not been well recently either. I hope he lasts for a while, though, since Crown Princess Masako doesn't seem to be quite well yet and since Princess Sayako might be giving him some more grandchildren one of these years.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:33 PM
Heir Apparent

So the next enthronement will indeed be for Prince Rainier's successor, Prince Albert.

The United Kingdom and the Holy See are the only ones left who do coronations, so when Pope John Paul II's successor is finally selected - we will get to see a papal coronation. Quite a unique thing to experience.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:46 PM
Courtier

The UK.......but then....i dun think it'll happen in the UK for at least like 10-20 years....cuz QEII is in good health...and given QE lived like 100 years old or something...i think QEII would live maybe even longer than her mother did....so.....i think the Prince of Wales won't be King until long from now...and besides...i really dun want to Camilla be Queen of England....so LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!!!!!
Old 04-15-2005, 02:05 PM
Aristocracy

What's the difference between an enthronement and a coronation?
Old 04-17-2005, 08:15 PM
Aristocracy

Coronation

Coronation: Crown is placed on Monarch's head...

Enthronement: simple speech, or maybe signing a document or sitting on a throne and taking oath of office

Also: "The United Kingdom and the Holy See are the only ones left who do coronations, so when Pope John Paul II's successor is finally selected - we will get to see a papal coronation. Quite a unique thing to experience."

Ummm, I don't think that the Holy See has coronations anymore, Vatican II...

John Paul II did not have a coronation and I don't believe the next Pope will either.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:39 PM
Aristocracy

Is one historically better/more important than the other or are they simply two different methods of conferring power?
Old 04-17-2005, 11:51 PM
Administrator

Coronations

The Kingdom of Tonga still has a Coronation ceremony; the current King, Taufa'ahau Toupou IV, was crowned in 1967.

The King of Thailand was "formally enthroned" in 1950, but I don't know if this included a "crowning" as such, although there is a magnificant Royal Crown.

King Gyanendra of Nepal was crowned in 2001, and I think King Singhi Wangchuk of Bhutan was crowned in 1974.

Coronations are more spectacular and elaborate and generally involve a religious ritual.

Enthronements are more akin to a civil marriage - less pomp and circumstance.