Who Will Reign Next

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Henri M. said:
I think Queen Elizabeth (head of the Anglican Church) or Queen Margrethe II (head of the Danish State Church) or the Emperor of Japan (a descendant of Ameratsu, the Sun Goddess) might disagree a bit with you.

Ummm no, the TITLE of Pope outranks all of them. I'm not talking about religious connotation. JUST the rank and title.

Monarch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pope is considered senior to Emperors in diplomatic relations.

Her_Majesty said:
It could also be Queen Margrethe II who'll abdicate next.. but I really cannot imagine Denmark without Margrethe II as Queen...:rolleyes:
That is never going to happen. Queen Margrethe herself has said that she'll be sitting on the chair till she drops off it (her own words.....).

In order I Belive
1. The Prince of Wales
2. Haakon
3.Frederik
4 Philippe
5. Victoria

I think the dutch crownprincecouple is the next king and queen to inherit the throne but i think the dutch queen will abdicate later then her mother because she has said that she wish the crownprincefamily (the children i guess) to be older before they get to the throne and also because she is solitary and still have a very good health.

Then i think The Prince of Wales will step up of the throne. Here in sweden King Gustaf VI Adolf inherit the throne in 1950 when he was 68 but he regnied sweden in 23 years so prince charles will most likely stay as the 1:st in line to the crown for 15-16 more years i guess.
Buckingham Palace and Clarence House has also confirmed that The Prince Of Wales will overtake more and more duties from The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh every year now and the prepareations for his coronation continues even if it will be late.

King Harald of Norway was not near to die since 2-3 years ago even if he underwent colmplicated surgerys at that time. The Crownprince was the regent a couple of times but that was not because the king was near to die.
He was sick-listed in some months when he recovered from the surgerys.

Last edited:
Here's my list:

1. Prince of Wales
2. Willem-Alexander
3. Haakon

Just read some of the posts that said Elizabeth II was the longest reigning monarch...in europe. She has only reigned for 55 years, while King Malietoa Tanumafili II (I hope I spelt it right) has been Chief of Samoa for 67 years...Just wanted to put my two cents into the conversation. And I agree with just about everyone that say Haakon and Mette-Marit will become King and Queen before anyone else. Sad but true, if the statements about King Harald's health are correct.

Its not correct if you ask me.
HM King Harald V of Norway celebrates his 70th:s birthday today and he is in good health. (I live in sweden so I know that)
The King was not near to die since 2 years ago but he was sick in prostata-cancer (I think its also the name in english) and ununderwent 2 complicated surgerys. After that he was sick-listed in some months and at this time Crownprince Haakon was the regent.

Today the king of norway is in strong health and off course we hope he will live in many years.
But Crownprince Haakon is one of the best prepared crownprinces in the world even if he is still young (34 at this summer). I think he is standby and will be a very good norwegian king whenever this thay arrives.

Last edited:
I just saw an Interview with King Harald on ARD where he said:

"Being a King is a job for your whole life. It's tradition here in Norway to be King until the very end, until you close your eyes forever. I will stay King until I die or until someone tells me that I am "gaga" (original Quote :lol: ) and should give up the throne."

So NO abdication is planned at all! ;)

Her_Majesty said:
I will stay King until I die or until someone tells me that I am "gaga" (original Quote :lol: ) and should give up the throne."

I've heard the "gaga" word too . I've been so much laughing ... He is indeed a funny person .:mrgreen:

Which of these monarchies still have coronation cermonies, other than Britain?

I think that it will be in this order: Charles, Willem-Alexander and Haakon.

My guesses:

-Willem-Alexander
-Charles
-Haakon
-Frederik

politikgirl said:
Which of these monarchies still have coronation cermonies, other than Britain?

No any. In most other monarchies there are solemn investitures.

:flowers:

Japan has a sort of ceremony in which the new Emperor 'mates' with Ameratsu, the Sun Goddess, but that is totally invisible for outsiders and has nothing to do with a coronation.

In Denmark there is not even an investiture at all: the Statsminister comes on the balcony of the Royal Palace and says basically something like 'The King is dead, long live The Queen!'. The new Queen, dressed in black, received the cheer and that was it.

The most glittering investitures are in the Netherlands (picture and picture) and in Sweden (picture), which still are done with full pump and circumstance.

Last edited:
Henri M. said:
The most glittering investitures are in the Netherlands and in Sweden, which still are done with full pump and circumstance.
The same goes for Norway.
There is a official part where the King holds his first speech and the oath.

Some weeks later there's a church ceremony where the King and Queen get the bishop's blessing.
The King doesn't wear his crown, but it is placed in the church so you can see it. ;)

(Pictures of the Enthronement: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f16/king-harald-enthronement-1991-a-52.html?highlight=harald+enthronement )

Her_Majesty said:
The same goes for Norway.

Yes indeed, but in Norway there are two parts: the investiture (relatively sober) and the blessing of the monarch which is done weeks later.

The blessing is done with lots of ceremonial but is not the actual enthronement, of course.

:flowers:

1-willem-alexander
2-charles
3-haakon

What's the difference between a coronation, an investiture and an enthronement? Thanks in advance. :D

politikgirl said:
What's the difference between a coronation, an investiture and an enthronement? Thanks in advance. :D

Coronation: ceremony marking the investment of a monarch with regal power through, amongst other symbolic acts, the placement of a crown upon his or her head.

Investiture: a rather general term for the formal installation of an incumbent (heir, elect of nominee) in public office, especially by taking possession of its insignia.

Enthronement: a ceremony of inauguration centering around sitting for the first time on a throne. The throne has been for some time seen as a symbol of authority, both secular and religious. Likewise, enthronements occur in both church and state settings.

I think Charles and Willem-Alexander will reign first.

Based on age alone (of the current monarchs) I would say that the first to rule would be Charles, follow by Naruhito and then possible Philippe of Belgium.

Margrethe II is a smoker, so maybe she will get cancer? I would say that Crown Prince Frederik will become king first.

Carl XVI Gustaf probably has about 30-35 years left to live, considering how old his predecessors became. Victoria will have to wait...

Henri M. said:
The most glittering investitures are in the Netherlands (picture and picture) and in Sweden (picture), which still are done with full pump and circumstance.

Yes that´s how it was back in 1973 in Sweden but do you think it will look like that when it´s Victorias turn? I don´t. The constitutional changes had not yet taken place when Carl-Gustav took over the crown. For instance the old cermonial opening of parliment at the hall of state in the royal palace only took place once with Carl-Gustav as king so I don´t think that it will be really as much "pomp" at Victorias enthronement cermony but one can always hope...

1.The Prince of Wales, 2.The Duke of Brabant, 3.The Prince of Orange 4.Crown Prince Haakon 5. Crown Prince Felipe 6. Crown Princess Victoria

1.The Prince of Wales, 2.The Duke of Brabant, 3.The Prince of Orange 4.Crown Prince Haakon 5. Crown Prince Felipe 6. Crown Princess Victoria

I have a feeling Philippe or Haakon.

Let's all be grateful that the late King Farouk of Egypt was incorrect in his prediction that "In the 1950s, Egypt's King Farouk, on the verge of losing his throne, famously predicted that only five royal houses would survive the 20th century: Spades, Hearts, Diamonds, Clubs and Windsor."

This just makes me laugh every time I remember it.

Most likely WA or Charles - WA because Beatrix might abdicate and Charles because QEII is already approaching stone age.

JC of Spain and Harald of Norway dont seem to be very healthy but in general in would be hard on all CPs with small children to take over soon. The family life would suffer, thats for sure, not to mention that losing a parent, especially one that has such an impact on the own life is tough no matter whether the relationship is good or not so good.

Beatrix, who is one of the few royals with an intact and very close marriage once said that she couldnt imagine before becoming Queen that it would be such a lonely place, despite the loving and supporting partner. I guess becoming monarch will be a hard test for any of the CPs, not only professionally but also on a personal level, especially with kids who still need full attention.

Back
Top Bottom