Who Will Reign Next

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Perhaps King Harald might abdicate if he feels too ill. Are we taking abdication into account or just the death of the current monarch?

I think the first couple will be

1)Haakon and Mette-Marit
2) Alexander and Maxima
3) Filip and Mathilde

Do you think Beatrix will abdicate? There is precedent in the Dutch royal family but it doesn't look like she's going to.

Harald himself has ruled out abdication, as Norway has no tradition for it. Both his father and grandfather stayed on until the "bitter end", with the sons ruling as Crown Prince Regent for quite some time beforehand, and Harald said things along those lines, too.

Von Schlesian said:
You are quite correct Mika. Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II is the highest ranking Monarch in the world. Her status is equal to a King in her position (of Great Britain etc), and even though there is an Emperor (a title which out-ranks King/Queen), in the world (HIM The Emperor of Japan), he is not superior as a Monarch to Her Majesty The Queen.

I believe that such information was even published in the Government/politics section of the 2003 and 2004 Guiness Book of World records.

Really? Unfortunately I have only the 2000 book. :(

1-Haakon and Mette-Marit
2-Charles
3-Willem-Alexander and Màxima
4-Frederik and Mary
5-Phillip and Mathilde
6-Felipe and Letizia
7-Victoria

Considering the life span of QEII's Mother...I think Charles has quite a wait. I think it will be Haakon, King Harald has had the most health problems recently, and doesn't always look too healthy.

I think Haakon and Mette-Marit will take over first. QEII may be older, but King Harald has a lot of health problems.

I believe it will Haakon and Mette-Marit. After that, I see Frederik and Mary. Queen Margarethe's smoking is not good and she can't avoid the consequences forever unfortunately!

I will say Haakon and Mette-Marit will reign first, then Charles unless Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands abdicates.

A.C.C. said:
I will say Haakon and Mette-Marit will reign first, then Charles unless Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands abdicates.

So do you think Beatrix will abdicate? Her mother and grandmother did but she's showing no signs of it.

ysbel said:
So do you think Beatrix will abdicate? Her mother and grandmother did but she's showing no signs of it.

I dont know if she will. If she does, I doubt it will be soon.

I think

1-Haakon and Mette-Marit
2-Felipe and Letizia
3-Phillip and Mathilde
4-Frederik and Mary
5-Willem-Alexander and Màxima
6-Charles
7-Victoria

I think that the three most likely are Haakon, Willem and Charles. Although Queen Elizbeth is 80 next year I think she still has quite a few years left. Queen Beatrix is likely to abdicate as its become a tradition in the Netherlands, however as she is still in good health and sadley she has no one to retire with now Claus has passed away I imagine she will reign for several more years to come. That leaves Haakon as his farthers health is not good and has not looked well for many years now.

Im going for
1. Haakon
2. Willem
3. Charles

it was recently said that queen beatrix planned to abdicate soon, so i would say willem alexander and maxima may be the next young king and queen. however, due to king harald's health condition and as sonja wasn't royal born, if he passed away the title of queen would directly go to mette marit so they may also be possible candidates.

i really doubt charles would ever be king. seems that her majesty doesnt want him to reign and wanted to pass the rights to her grandson william... which is a real pity, as i think charles and camilla also deserve their right to reign after qeii as they have been working hard for britain.

The first ones would porbably be Haakon and Mette-Marit because of Harald's poor health. After that it will be either Charles or Willem, but that may take a little. Charles, who deserves to become king, will have to wait because Queen Elizabeth seems in pretty good health for her age and won't abdicate. Queen Beatrix, on the other hand, won't abdicate even if it seems a tradition in Netherlands because Willem has a very young family and she wants his family to be happy and solid.

Tradition and precedent

carlota said:
it was recently said that Queen Beatrix planned to abdicate soon.
I really doubt charles would ever be king. seems that her majesty doesnt want him to reign and wanted to pass the rights to her grandson william... which is a real pity, as i think charles and camilla also deserve their right to reign after qeii as they have been working hard for britain.
Perhaps Queen Beatrix could start a NEW tradition in The Netherlands by not abdicating? The fact that Queens Wilhelmina and Juliana abdicated puts pressure on the Monarch to do the same at some stage, whether they want to or not. IMO successive abdications downgrade the nature of Monarchy.

I don't think there is any evidence Queen Elizabeth wants the succession to pass directly to Prince William. As a pretty staunch traditionalist when it comes to things Royal I would imagine she would prefer to see the Crown pass down the line in the appropriate order. Bypassing the legimitate and rightful heir would not only be very messy, but would set an unfortunate precedent. In any case, what if Prince William has no wish to "usurp" his father?

o wow! then whoever it is to reign first then they will certainly senioring their conterparts. can you imagine the other crown princessess curtsy to queen mette-maritt?

Queen M-M

ulik said:
Can you imagine the other Crown Princesses curtsey to Queen Mette-Maritt?
Yes, very easily, because this is what Royals do.

I think abdicated is not broadly popular in nowaday monarchs, then we could focus to the health condition of the monarchs. At this time HM Queen Elizabeth II is the oldest reign but she looks much healthier than other (say Queen Margarethe II and King Harald). Queen Beatrix seems doesn't have serious prablem with her health so does King Albert II, and King Juan Carlos, king Carl Gustav. From this condition Norway might get the new reign earlier than other, then the Denmark (possibly due to the reign' healt condition). It just my prediction of course...it can be mispredicted.

Last edited:
LadyS said:
I would hate to think it but I would have to agree.

What are the ages of the current reigning monarchs?
Here is the list LadyS:
1.Queen Elizabeth II-79
2.Queen Margrethe II- 65
3.Queen Beatrix I-67
4.King Harald-68
5.King Juan Carlos-67
6.King Albert II-71
7.King Carl Gustav-59

HMQueenElizabethII said:
Here is the list LadyS:
1.Queen Elizabeth II-79
2.Queen Margrethe II- 65
3.Queen Beatrix I-67
4.King Harald-68
5.King Juan Carlos-67
6.King Albert II-71
7.King Carl Gustav-59

Thank you very much

Warren said:
Perhaps Queen Beatrix could start a NEW tradition in The Netherlands by not abdicating? The fact that Queens Wilhelmina and Juliana abdicated puts pressure on the Monarch to do the same at some stage, whether they want to or not. IMO successive abdications downgrade the nature of Monarchy.

I don't think there is any evidence Queen Elizabeth wants the succession to pass directly to Prince William. As a pretty staunch traditionalist when it comes to things Royal I would imagine she would prefer to see the Crown pass down the line in the appropriate order. Bypassing the legimitate and rightful heir would not only be very messy, but would set an unfortunate precedent. In any case, what if Prince William has no wish to "usurp" his father?

Hi Warren,

I wouldn't go so far as to say abdications downgrade the monarchy. One advantage is that the monarch can have some sort of control over the transition process. But there needs to be a tradition for it or it appears that the monarch is 'copping' out.

For Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II,i think she is in very good health and will not abdicate,it will be great if the Queen will reign at least in the next more 15 years.(Long live our Gracious Queen).
For Queen Beatrix I of The Netherlands,i do not really know that she will abdicate or not.She seems also in really good health,and she is doing great on her role.And i also think that maybe Queen Beatrix will give Willem-Maxima's family much more years more experiments before coming to the throne.
Maybe Prince Haakon and Mette Marit will reign first,as the health of King Harald is not good but he has just come back and seem doing well on it.

This is a morbid topic! It's basically who we think will die first! :(

Anyway, the rumors that Queen Beatrix will abdicate are false and she said so herself. Due to her silver jubilee celebrations, she gave an interview during which she said that she will not abdicate any time soon because she would like to give her son a chance to "build up his family." Besides, I think Queen Beatrix might be the one who keeps the throne to the very end. She won't be abdicating.

Queen Margrethe is in fairly good health even though she smokes like a chimney. Her mother, Queen Ingrid, smoked just as much and she lived into her nineties. The women in that family have good strong genes, and I think she'll live for a very long time yet. And since Danish monarchs don't abdicate, I think Frederik has some time.

I honestly think Prince Charles will be next to reign.

This is really an interesting conversation- how many of us wait to enter our main occupations until our parents die? Even in large family-run corporations, parents often retire and enjoy their "golden years" while passing over the reigns to their children.

It's actually a fairly morbid reality for these royals- they have the compounded stress of starting their new "jobs" at the same time as mourning the death of their parent. I can't say that I would like that very much at all.

I know that several of the Royals engage in lots of good work while they are heirs apparent. However, it seems that there are still strict limitations on what they can or cannot get involved with, because of their future role.

I'm just glad I'm not one of these people for this reason! Living a life of leisure might be fun, but I wonder how much stress there is waiting, waiting and waiting for your future role. Many of us get to enjoy our retirement. I don't think that's the case at all for these royals.

However, the perks are pretty good, so I won't pity them too much!

Eliza

1. Haakon
2. Charles
3. Willem-Alexander
4. Fredrik
5. Felipe
6. Phillipe
7. Victoria

I dont think SO! about HM Queen would let down! because her health still strong she nearly 80 but she still in her 79 years old many people respective Queen very much! and in Norway i think King Harald have health problems because of Cancer and heart surgery past months i think CP couples would become King and Queen let wait and see what happened in Norway Royals news

Sara Boyce

Warren said:

i would agree with you!

but i think HM Queen wanted William become King of England one day because his dad the Prince of Wales is divorcees to his mother Diana,Princess of Wales i dont think his dad have rights for become King! and also his step-mother also divorcees!

Sara Boyce

I personally believe that Haakon will the next Crown Prince to become King. Followed by either Willem-Alexander or Federick

Back
Top Bottom