The Most Powerful Throne Today?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Australian

Heir Presumptive
City
Perth
Country
Australia
I was just wondering who sits on the most powerful throne today? Maybe we could also break it down for each continent if possible.

Most powerful in what context?

I agree :previous:. Could you please be more specific in what you mean by "powerful?"

maybe what he wants to say, is who have more power leading and ruling the country. ill say in my opinion, who is more powerful are monarchs who are absolutists. aka: brunei, united arab emirates, etc...

kathia_sophia said:
maybe what he wants to say, is who have more power leading and ruling the country. ill say in my opinion, who is more powerful are monarchs who are absolutists. aka: brunei, united arab emirates, etc...

My thoughts on this subject were almost identical to the ones stated in you reply. Although not researched (by me), realistically it is more than likely the monarch from one of the oil-producing, Middle Eastern/Arab/Muslim countries.

well to be more specific then just arab monarchy..
the saudi royal family would be the family with the most power of any royal family in the world.
in europe it would be the Princely family of liechtenstien they have the most political power of any european royals

in asia the sultan of brunei

Liechenstein is apparently one of the few countries in Europe that has a monarchy that actually has power.

Definitely the house of al saud(Saudi royal family) and if they had a throne the house of thin and taxis because prince Albert is young, single and is a billionaire.

Great Britain. Queen Elizabeth II has been the sovereign for over sixty years. She puts her royal duties first.

'Actual' Power -the House of Saud. 'Soft' Power -the House of Windsor.

In Europe it is Liechtenstein and Monaco but of course also there the Sovereign's power is very limited by the Constitution.

'Actual' Power -the House of Saud. 'Soft' Power -the House of Windsor.

That soft power is a myth. Look at Brexit. Every red line, everthing the EU could "go whistle for", in soccer terms it is 10-0 for the EU half time. How does that "soft power" and her six decades of kingship substantiate then? Did Theresa May won a "better" result because it is Elizabeth sitting there near the electric heater in the fireplace at Windsor Castle and not Charles?

Last edited:
Absolute monarchs: Vatican, Brunei, Swaziland, Saudi Arabia and Oman

UAE and Qatar are similar. In Qatar, the head of the government and head of state are two different people, though both the same family. UAE is of course seven independent absolute monarchies that form a federation. The ruler of abu dabi serves as president, and the ruler of Dubai as prime minister.

No constitutional monarchy comes close to matching the power of an absolute monarch. Yes they have influence, like the Windsors, but not the kind of power.

Beyond the Vatican, the most powerful European monarch (in constitutional power and not simply influence) would be Lichtenstein.

Great Britain. Queen Elizabeth II has been the sovereign for over sixty years. She puts her royal duties first.

She is however a figurehead with no power. She can't even say what she wants to or control who stays in her home. If the government tells her to do something she has to do it. As far as power goes she is powerless.

Last edited:
She is however a figurehead with no power. She can't even say what she wants to control who stays in her home. If the government tells her to do something she has to do it. As far as power goes she is powerless.

That is true. Like every constitutional monarch she is met with all égards and honours but when it is business time, it is the Government who is the puppet master.

Depends on what type of power.
If it's political power, then I would say one of the Arab monarchies. (I don't follow them so I can't be more specific).

But if you mean generating worldwide interest and influence, then I would say the British.

It is only good that the monarchies are powerless. In 2018 it is really not acceptable that monarchs hold power purely because they were born in that position. The last monarch with real power in a substantial country was Simeon Prinz von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha, Herzog von Sachsen, former King of Bulgaria, who was Prime Minister (2000-2005) and -with holding real power- blew up all good prospects for a restoration of his lost throne. Exactly the fact that he held real power, was a real PM, made him partisan and that was the end of any monarchal aspiration. As PM he guided Bulgaria into NATO and EU, and like in other Eastern-European countries opinions were VERY clashing with pro-Russian and pro-EU/pro-NATO blocks and a partisan former King as PM advocating one direction.

Last edited:
Just to add a bit of levity to the conversation, I'd have to say the most powerful and important throne to all of us is the Porcelain Goddess when we really, really need her. :whistling:

As we're in the 21st century now, I don't think we can actually look at any throne in the world today as being the most powerful. No monarchy has the power (or the wish) to dominate, subjugate, control or conquer lands as they did in times of old. Those that hold the thrones today do so to serve the their people whether it be a constitutional of absolute monarchy.

The real problems arise when there is a dictatorship governmental leader that not only works against his own people but against the stability of his own country by threatening the world to inflate one's own ego. A prime example of this would be Kim Jong Un of North Korea.

Duc_et_Pair

Here is not the place to argue over Brexit, but for for the record 'nothing is agreed until everything is agreed', and [for me personally] ANY price is worth paying to be free of the EU..

I think the throne of Game of Thrones is the most powerful, with all the iron and stuff...

oh wait, that's not what was meant?

:lol:

Sometimes a King has, in exactly the same constitutional setting, power which is derived from a strong character, a formidable knowledge in dossiers and being sided by consels with tentacles into "deep state". We can say that Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands or King Juan Carlos were more powerful. King Juan Carlos of course was a derivate from the Franco era but used the powers in the Transition to steer Spain firmly into democracy. Queen Wilhelmina had a very strongwilled personality and the longetivy of her kingship made her a formidable power which she so now and then used in discutable way. Queen Elizabeth has a recordbreaking long reign but the nature of British politics (two clear blocs with a PM holding an own strong mandate) and her own careful character has not resulted in Wilhelmina-esque powerplay. King Charles III has the potential to wield real power, but his Reign probably will lack longetivity to cement a firm position.

Last edited:
Queen Elizabeth has enormous soft power within the UK. Prime Minsters take her views and opinions very seriously.

She’s been praised by former PMs for her in depth knowledge of government affairs.

Duc_et_Pair

Here is not the place to argue over Brexit, but for for the record 'nothing is agreed until everything is agreed', and [for me personally] ANY price is worth paying to be free of the EU..

Sure. But so far just looking to: out of the single market, out of the customs union, out of the jurisdiction of the EU Courts, no extended rights for foreign EU citizens, no single penny to Brussels: May and Davis have not held ONE of these dark red lines and firm promises. ALL red lines have been crashed. But you are right: as long as there is no deal, nothing counts. Well, tap each other on the shoulders and "Blimey... don't we have a miraculously splendid diplomacy? HM's recordbreaking Reign and the goodwill trips of Wills and Harry surely have helped! Cheers!"

Last edited:
Last edited:
The word 'powerful' is too ambiguous a word to measure the different monarchies up against each other. The ones that are absolute, and the ones who have monarchs actively involved in the running of the government, are far more politically powerful than the constitutional ones, but if we are talking about soft power, which I think is more appropriate and a model that works for the monarchy as an institution going forward, all arrows point to H.M Queen Elizabeth II. Being monarch of 16 sovereign states and head of the 52-nation strong Commonwealth, she knows more world leaders and with the longevity of her reign, she has been around to be consulted, advice and warn more political leaders than anyone else alive.
When anyone refers to 'the Queen' in a generalist way, most minds go directly to Elizabeth Regina, and quite frankly, that's a soft power and influence well deserved.

Mass media of democracies of the Western World say that the most powerful man on the Earth is, in fact, the President of the U.S.A., and not any monarch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom