Who Is The Most Professional Queen?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who do you think is the "most professional" queen, and why?

• Elizabeth II

Votes: 143 43.1%
  • Margrethe II

Votes: 36 10.8%
  • Beatrix

Votes: 38 11.4%
  • Sofia

Votes: 50 15.1%
  • Sonja

Votes: 13 3.9%
  • Silvia

Votes: 17 5.1%
  • Paola

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Rania

Votes: 24 7.2%
  • Anne-Marie

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Other, please specify in post

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe all of the current queens are professionals.
All but two ( Sonja and Silvia) were born to reign and were taught early on the royal duties. Sonja had a few years as a crown princess to learn and Silvia just about one afternoon but they both proved to be professionals.
The changes will show when the next generation takes over

Perhaps it's a difficult choice but...

Who is the most professional Queen?

Elizabeth of England

Margrethe of Denmark

Beatrix of Netherlands

Sofia of Spain

Sonja of Norway

Silvia of Sweden

Paola of Belgium

Anne-Marie of Greece (she isn't ruling but she has the title...)

Rania of Jordan

Other
isnt this poll kind of misleading... Most of these queens are consorts and NOT heads of state/ 2 diferrent positions, indeed

isnt this poll kind of misleading... Most of these queens are consorts and NOT heads of state/ 2 diferrent positions, indeed
Totally right. However, they are all together because the point is representation. I mean, which of these queens is the best representative of her country :)

I'd agree with Regina with her comments about Queen Elizabeth II but I'd say that she should get rid of those silly gloves she likes to wear, especially in warm weather, and perhaps for her Diamond Jubilee wear something that makes her look regal, just as she did on her coronation day.

Beatrix of The Netherlands was the most professional of all,with Margrethe II closely behind.E II is of a different league alltogether,she dates from the time and age that girls only were "trained" to keep conversations going on the hunt and the weather at Balmoral.Not her fault,that was how it was back then.Her job trained her,but the most professional,no.

Last edited:
The most professional Queen IMO is the one who just focusses on her job as Queen, rather than distracting herself and rest of the world towards other issues like sentiment/drama/fashion etc.

I would say Sofia of Spain. She had to go through a lot of nonsense in family and marriage. But she puts it all behind just focussing on strengthening the institution of monarchy. That seems to be her only will, wish and desire in life. She never becomes a "cry baby" for not being "loved/taken care of"..
She is the real professional Queen..

If not for her I would have automatically gone for EII, but then she atleast hah an enormously supporting and immensely loyal contingent of husband, uncle, aunts, cousins right from beginning. And she inherited a very historic and comparitively very very stable set-up.. But Sofia seems a lone-fighter..

Last edited:
Hmm, this is one of thise awkward questions that defies me because I can think of no reigning queen or queen consort who is not utterly professional.

It is very difficult to say that Queen Beatrix was more professional than Queen Elizabeth, just as much as it is not easy to say that Queen Elizabeth is more professional that Queen Beatrix - what elements of unprofessionalism do either of these queens have that makes one more professional that the other?

Thinking about the question, I believe that there are many highly professional Queens and Consorts who do a great job at representing their country. At the moment I can´t think of anyone who is a complete disappointment or any lady who is unable to fulfill her duty.

Definitely highly professional at their job:
Beatrix from the Netherlands
Queen Sofia of Spain
Silvia of Sweden
& of course Queen Elizabeth II
They all present a great deal of discipline,dedication to serving their country and sound moral values. They have put the need of the nation in front of their own personal needs and they are vrey discreet and keep their private life private.

Mathilde of Belgium and Q.Maxima are quite new in the job, but I am sure they will be fulfilling their role with dignity and charme. They have always done a good work while still being CP & they are both highly educated and have a nice way of communicating with the people.

Queen Rania is great at doing public speeches-she is extremely smart,witty and eloquent.
Nevertheless I find her fashion is overshadowing her work...she is wearing so much European luxury brands,
her outfits are more talked about than her work and her visons for the country.

Last edited:
E II is of a different league alltogether,she dates from the time and age that girls only were "trained" to keep conversations going on the hunt and the weather at Balmoral.Not her fault,that was how it was back then.Her job trained her,but the most professional,no.

I strongly disagree and consider it an insult to QEII to say that she's just a girl who can keep a conversation going...

I don't understand the topic question...how could a Queen manage to be "unprofessional"? Be photographed flipping off a photographer or picking spinach from her teeth?:ermm:

I think all of them, every one of them, is a credit to her country and does a difficult job wonderfully well. I cannot think of even one exception.

Is there any particular reason for not mentioning Empress Michiko, who is a true image of royalty, in the poll?
As for the professionalism, I fully share Moondmaiden23's opinion.

Last edited:
I also have to say that this is an awkward question. Do you mean Queen Consort or Queen Regnant? Because there is a huge difference between these two IMO.
I like and respect all of the current European Queens. But IMO QEII and queen Sofia are very professional in their jobs.
About disapproving comments toward QEII, she is extremely good and educated for her job, she knows her job really well . She never gives her opinion in public and doesn't give interviews, which I think keeps her neutral and which helps to not make controversial.

Is there any particular reason for not mentioning Empress Michiko, who is a true image of royalty, in the poll?
As for the professionalism, I fully share Moondmaiden23's opinion.

Ah, but you see Michiko is an empress and not a queen - that's an entirely different question!
But yes, of-course Michiko should always be mentioned as her dedication is awe-inspiring given the strict lifestyle she lives under.

I voted for Princess (still don't like calling her that) Beatrix because she had to do most of her duties alone, Prince Claus left her too soon, so she was left to guide her country and her family alone. I have always liked her style.:flowers:
Again, like everyone else, Queen Elizabeth who has reigned the longest, has done a Great job, but she also had Prince Philip during her entire reign (I think thats an asset):ROFLMAO:
But seriously, its hard to pick between Beatrix, QEII, and Margrethe
Among the Regents: I would probably pick Sonja and Sofia

Ah, but you see Michiko is an empress and not a queen - that's an entirely different question!
But yes, of-course Michiko should always be mentioned as her dedication is awe-inspiring given the strict lifestyle she lives under.

Absolutely agree yes!!The woman is the personification of dedication and style under not so easy circumstances.

I don't understand the topic question...how could a Queen manage to be "unprofessional"? Be photographed flipping off a photographer or picking spinach from her teeth?:ermm:

Fortunately we have neither a definition nor an example for that, at present.
But a former would-be-Queen showed us what can be the heights of unprofessionalism..
Undermining the royal family , publicly humiliating her husband, doubting his ability to reign, washing the dirty linen in public, potraying herself as the lone savior of her country and even entire humanity, breaking down into tears at any moment etc etc..

Thanks to a timely divorce, we all had been spared the nightmare of watching all her theatrics in full force, had she become the Queen Consort. Maybe then we might have had a perfect example and definition of "unprofessional Queen"

:previous:
It would be impossible to predict whether or not the would-be-queen would have done something embarrassing. The probability is not an exact concept. Speculations on this subject of the Windsor dirty tattle is a contentious topic.

I for one view Empress Michiko and Queen Saleha of Brunei as the most professional.

Last edited:
Fortunately we have neither a definition nor an example for that, at present.
But a former would-be-Queen showed us what can be the heights of unprofessionalism..
Undermining the royal family , publicly humiliating her husband, doubting his ability to reign, washing the dirty linen in public, potraying herself as the lone savior of her country and even entire humanity, breaking down into tears at any moment etc etc..

Thanks to a timely divorce, we all had been spared the nightmare of watching all her theatrics in full force, had she become the Queen Consort. Maybe then we might have had a perfect example and definition of "unprofessional Queen"

Unfortunately, her former husband the would-be-King has done quite the same things.

Anyway unless I am mistaken this thread was not about any "would be Queens" particularly long dead ones who, for the sake of charity and decency if nothing else, should be permitted to rest in peace.

Last edited:
Moonmaiden23, since you specifically asked for a definition, I said what it can be..the closest I have seen in modern monarchy..Since there are no such Queens, I went to persons who might turn out to be such Queens. Thats all. No intention of bringing back the dead and humiliating them.You did not have to go on such an offensive for that..

Let me clarify on some of your points..

Unfortunately, her former husband the would-be-King has done quite the same things.

Well did he undermine her in public..criticised her personal life..called her a bad mother..And if you are speaking about adultery, many men in the lives of present Queens have done far worse things..
Especially the husband of the second-ranking one, and father of third-ranking one..But they didnt insist on going into books and TVs on that..All they were concerned is the fame and survival of the institution.. That dedication is what makes them real professional Queens.

Anyway unless I am mistaken this thread was not about any "would be Queens" particularly long dead ones who, for the sake of charity and decency if nothing else, should be permitted to rest in peace.

As I already specifically mentioned that none of present Queens is unprofessional, so the nearest is a former "would-be Queen". These things dont have anything to do with death or living..They are public..Its history..We keep talking forever..

Last edited:
I think it unfair to compare the jobs of a Queen Regnant with a Queen Consort.

A Queen Regnant is the Head of State, part of the political structure, has constitutional status etc and also do the duties that fall to a Queen Consort such as having babies and establishing a home.

I remember reading once when QEII became Queen that Philip was afraid she was being overworked as ALL the staff wanted to go to her but in the previous reign many had gone to The King while others had gone to The Queen but now all wanted Elizabeth and it took some time for Philip to convince many of them that that system wouldn't work for her and that some of the 'male things' they had gone to the King over were to go to him while more 'female ones' that they would have gone to the Consort over were still for her.

i think they all do a good job, but i choose Queen Silvia, she not only does their official duties well, but she also founded world childhood foundation raising billions for unfortunate kids, silvia's nurses for people with dementia not to mention her involvement with mentor foundation, which helps kids with drug and alcohol problems. They all do a great job but i think Queen Silvia, and a special not to Queen Sofia seem the most approachable

I think it unfair to compare the jobs of a Queen Regnant with a Queen Consort.

A Queen Regnant is the Head of State, part of the political structure, has constitutional status etc and also do the duties that fall to a Queen Consort such as having babies and establishing a home.

Actually I feel the job of a Queen Regnant is much easier than the Queen Consort.

I have a few points here..

Things are set out for you already. Pretty much of the stuff is official business. And in that, more or less, one goes by the rule-book or as "advised". Sudden innovations and "out-of-the-way" modifications are hardly expected. And regarding the private stuff like running the estates, running the family, they can be delegated to husbands or managers. Public doesnt care much about them, unless something goes terribly wrong (rare).. And being a female monarch automatically gives you a soft-spot in people's hearts, you automatically have more charm and are more photographed, and finally, more popular..You have less competition among monarchs..

While being a Queen Consort is totally different. You dont have the "aura" of your own. You are seen as the wife of your husband first, and as Queen next. You always share the good/bad public persona of your husband.
There are always complaints that you are not doing enough. Because the lions share of your work--accompanying the King-- is not seen as work at all (Understandably, its the King's). So you are forced to go out of your way to find out "worthy causes" and slog on them. And how much ever you do, if anything goes wrong in the family or Household, you are the one to be blamed..something which Queen Regnants luckily escape..
And upon that, your position is not always secure..Overshadowed by Dowager Queens in early stage, and wives of CPs in later stage..

QRs are just measured in terms of "duty"..whereas QCs have several criteria..looks/fashon/jewels/family etc.etc..
But one lucky thing for QC I have observed is..they are almost unconditionally loved (with zero scrutiny) by the public, especially after they become Dowagers, and can almost retire. But QRs never escape scrutiny and "duty" till the end..

Last edited:
I voted for Queen Silvia, she was a commoner and is every Inch a Queen since her first day. She always kept her grace and style, whatever happens, even in difficult cisrcumstances, such as if she is caring for raped children (Childhood Foundation) or whether she suffered from the infidelities from her husband in the limelight (which was worse then Q Sofia of Spain IMHO, as everybody could read many Details in the book). Also I think, she never did any mistake (as I would Count QEII with Diana or QSofia with her interviews).

So for me she is the most "perfect" Queen.
Bye Bine

I find this question very peculiar because we don't know how the court organizations work and what the influence is of the Queen.

From the Dutch Court we know that Queen Beatrix wanted it all certified according ISO-standards. The Queen enforced that requirements, specifications, guidelines or characteristics can be used consistently to ensure that the internal organization, processes and services are fit for their purpose. Every function, every handling, every material, every process has been described in detail.

Every year internal and external audits are held to see if the court organization is still according the strictest ISO-standards. Well... is thát professional or not? Many people are stating "Queen Silvia!" or "Queen Rania" purely on the outlook. The two most professional court organizations are the Dutch and the Danish one. But the role of the Queens is pretty limited. The smooth running of the court organization is in hands of well-paid professionals, whom are accountable towards the monarch and to the Government (which funds the working budgets).

Basing my opinion on what I only see I 'd say that Queen Elizabeth, followed by Queen Mathilde are the most professional queens.:flowers:

Basing my opinion on what I only see I 'd say that Queen Elizabeth, followed by Queen Mathilde are the most professional queens.:flowers:

What makes Queen Mathilde "most professional" and not, for an example Queen Letizia or Grand Duchess Maria Teresa and how is that "measured"?

When Baudouin was alive, no two were as seamless as he and Fabiola. Now, I'd give that title to Harald and Sonja, whom I like very much.

Queen Regnant is hands down...no competition...Queen Elizabeth II. Long may she reign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom