The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Who do you think is the "most professional" queen, and why?
Elizabeth II 125 41.39%
Margrethe II 32 10.60%
Beatrix 38 12.58%
Sofia 49 16.23%
Sonja 12 3.97%
Silvia 13 4.30%
Paola 3 0.99%
Rania 23 7.62%
Anne-Marie 3 0.99%
Other, please specify in post 4 1.32%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-12-2013, 12:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
Fortunately we have neither a definition nor an example for that, at present.
But a former would-be-Queen showed us what can be the heights of unprofessionalism..
Undermining the royal family , publicly humiliating her husband, doubting his ability to reign, washing the dirty linen in public, potraying herself as the lone savior of her country and even entire humanity, breaking down into tears at any moment etc etc..

Thanks to a timely divorce, we all had been spared the nightmare of watching all her theatrics in full force, had she become the Queen Consort. Maybe then we might have had a perfect example and definition of "unprofessional Queen"
Unfortunately, her former husband the would-be-King has done quite the same things.

Anyway unless I am mistaken this thread was not about any "would be Queens" particularly long dead ones who, for the sake of charity and decency if nothing else, should be permitted to rest in peace.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:07 AM
Courtier

Moonmaiden23, since you specifically asked for a definition, I said what it can be..the closest I have seen in modern monarchy..Since there are no such Queens, I went to persons who might turn out to be such Queens. Thats all. No intention of bringing back the dead and humiliating them.You did not have to go on such an offensive for that..

Let me clarify on some of your points..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Unfortunately, her former husband the would-be-King has done quite the same things.
Well did he undermine her in public..criticised her personal life..called her a bad mother..And if you are speaking about adultery, many men in the lives of present Queens have done far worse things..
Especially the husband of the second-ranking one, and father of third-ranking one..But they didnt insist on going into books and TVs on that..All they were concerned is the fame and survival of the institution.. That dedication is what makes them real professional Queens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Anyway unless I am mistaken this thread was not about any "would be Queens" particularly long dead ones who, for the sake of charity and decency if nothing else, should be permitted to rest in peace.
As I already specifically mentioned that none of present Queens is unprofessional, so the nearest is a former "would-be Queen". These things dont have anything to do with death or living..They are public..Its history..We keep talking forever..

Old 09-12-2013, 05:20 AM
Majesty

I think it unfair to compare the jobs of a Queen Regnant with a Queen Consort.

A Queen Regnant is the Head of State, part of the political structure, has constitutional status etc and also do the duties that fall to a Queen Consort such as having babies and establishing a home.

I remember reading once when QEII became Queen that Philip was afraid she was being overworked as ALL the staff wanted to go to her but in the previous reign many had gone to The King while others had gone to The Queen but now all wanted Elizabeth and it took some time for Philip to convince many of them that that system wouldn't work for her and that some of the 'male things' they had gone to the King over were to go to him while more 'female ones' that they would have gone to the Consort over were still for her.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:35 AM
Nobility

i think they all do a good job, but i choose Queen Silvia, she not only does their official duties well, but she also founded world childhood foundation raising billions for unfortunate kids, silvia's nurses for people with dementia not to mention her involvement with mentor foundation, which helps kids with drug and alcohol problems. They all do a great job but i think Queen Silvia, and a special not to Queen Sofia seem the most approachable
Old 09-12-2013, 05:52 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I think it unfair to compare the jobs of a Queen Regnant with a Queen Consort.

A Queen Regnant is the Head of State, part of the political structure, has constitutional status etc and also do the duties that fall to a Queen Consort such as having babies and establishing a home.

Actually I feel the job of a Queen Regnant is much easier than the Queen Consort.

I have a few points here..

Things are set out for you already. Pretty much of the stuff is official business. And in that, more or less, one goes by the rule-book or as "advised". Sudden innovations and "out-of-the-way" modifications are hardly expected. And regarding the private stuff like running the estates, running the family, they can be delegated to husbands or managers. Public doesnt care much about them, unless something goes terribly wrong (rare).. And being a female monarch automatically gives you a soft-spot in people's hearts, you automatically have more charm and are more photographed, and finally, more popular..You have less competition among monarchs..

While being a Queen Consort is totally different. You dont have the "aura" of your own. You are seen as the wife of your husband first, and as Queen next. You always share the good/bad public persona of your husband.
There are always complaints that you are not doing enough. Because the lions share of your work--accompanying the King-- is not seen as work at all (Understandably, its the King's). So you are forced to go out of your way to find out "worthy causes" and slog on them. And how much ever you do, if anything goes wrong in the family or Household, you are the one to be blamed..something which Queen Regnants luckily escape..
And upon that, your position is not always secure..Overshadowed by Dowager Queens in early stage, and wives of CPs in later stage..

QRs are just measured in terms of "duty"..whereas QCs have several criteria..looks/fashon/jewels/family etc.etc..
But one lucky thing for QC I have observed is..they are almost unconditionally loved (with zero scrutiny) by the public, especially after they become Dowagers, and can almost retire. But QRs never escape scrutiny and "duty" till the end..
Old 09-12-2013, 07:23 AM
Courtier

I voted for Queen Silvia, she was a commoner and is every Inch a Queen since her first day. She always kept her grace and style, whatever happens, even in difficult cisrcumstances, such as if she is caring for raped children (Childhood Foundation) or whether she suffered from the infidelities from her husband in the limelight (which was worse then Q Sofia of Spain IMHO, as everybody could read many Details in the book). Also I think, she never did any mistake (as I would Count QEII with Diana or QSofia with her interviews).

So for me she is the most "perfect" Queen.
Bye Bine