The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Who do you think is the "most professional" queen, and why?
Elizabeth II 137 42.02%
Margrethe II 36 11.04%
Beatrix 38 11.66%
Sofia 51 15.64%
Sonja 12 3.68%
Silvia 17 5.21%
Paola 3 0.92%
Rania 24 7.36%
Anne-Marie 3 0.92%
Other, please specify in post 5 1.53%
Voters: 326. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-12-2013, 12:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
Fortunately we have neither a definition nor an example for that, at present.
But a former would-be-Queen showed us what can be the heights of unprofessionalism..
Undermining the royal family , publicly humiliating her husband, doubting his ability to reign, washing the dirty linen in public, potraying herself as the lone savior of her country and even entire humanity, breaking down into tears at any moment etc etc..

Thanks to a timely divorce, we all had been spared the nightmare of watching all her theatrics in full force, had she become the Queen Consort. Maybe then we might have had a perfect example and definition of "unprofessional Queen"
Unfortunately, her former husband the would-be-King has done quite the same things.

Anyway unless I am mistaken this thread was not about any "would be Queens" particularly long dead ones who, for the sake of charity and decency if nothing else, should be permitted to rest in peace.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:07 AM
Courtier

Moonmaiden23, since you specifically asked for a definition, I said what it can be..the closest I have seen in modern monarchy..Since there are no such Queens, I went to persons who might turn out to be such Queens. Thats all. No intention of bringing back the dead and humiliating them.You did not have to go on such an offensive for that..

Let me clarify on some of your points..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Unfortunately, her former husband the would-be-King has done quite the same things.
Well did he undermine her in public..criticised her personal life..called her a bad mother..And if you are speaking about adultery, many men in the lives of present Queens have done far worse things..
Especially the husband of the second-ranking one, and father of third-ranking one..But they didnt insist on going into books and TVs on that..All they were concerned is the fame and survival of the institution.. That dedication is what makes them real professional Queens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Anyway unless I am mistaken this thread was not about any "would be Queens" particularly long dead ones who, for the sake of charity and decency if nothing else, should be permitted to rest in peace.
As I already specifically mentioned that none of present Queens is unprofessional, so the nearest is a former "would-be Queen". These things dont have anything to do with death or living..They are public..Its history..We keep talking forever..

Old 09-12-2013, 05:20 AM
Majesty

I think it unfair to compare the jobs of a Queen Regnant with a Queen Consort.

A Queen Regnant is the Head of State, part of the political structure, has constitutional status etc and also do the duties that fall to a Queen Consort such as having babies and establishing a home.

I remember reading once when QEII became Queen that Philip was afraid she was being overworked as ALL the staff wanted to go to her but in the previous reign many had gone to The King while others had gone to The Queen but now all wanted Elizabeth and it took some time for Philip to convince many of them that that system wouldn't work for her and that some of the 'male things' they had gone to the King over were to go to him while more 'female ones' that they would have gone to the Consort over were still for her.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:35 AM
Nobility

i think they all do a good job, but i choose Queen Silvia, she not only does their official duties well, but she also founded world childhood foundation raising billions for unfortunate kids, silvia's nurses for people with dementia not to mention her involvement with mentor foundation, which helps kids with drug and alcohol problems. They all do a great job but i think Queen Silvia, and a special not to Queen Sofia seem the most approachable
Old 09-12-2013, 05:52 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I think it unfair to compare the jobs of a Queen Regnant with a Queen Consort.

A Queen Regnant is the Head of State, part of the political structure, has constitutional status etc and also do the duties that fall to a Queen Consort such as having babies and establishing a home.

Actually I feel the job of a Queen Regnant is much easier than the Queen Consort.

I have a few points here..

Things are set out for you already. Pretty much of the stuff is official business. And in that, more or less, one goes by the rule-book or as "advised". Sudden innovations and "out-of-the-way" modifications are hardly expected. And regarding the private stuff like running the estates, running the family, they can be delegated to husbands or managers. Public doesnt care much about them, unless something goes terribly wrong (rare).. And being a female monarch automatically gives you a soft-spot in people's hearts, you automatically have more charm and are more photographed, and finally, more popular..You have less competition among monarchs..

While being a Queen Consort is totally different. You dont have the "aura" of your own. You are seen as the wife of your husband first, and as Queen next. You always share the good/bad public persona of your husband.
There are always complaints that you are not doing enough. Because the lions share of your work--accompanying the King-- is not seen as work at all (Understandably, its the King's). So you are forced to go out of your way to find out "worthy causes" and slog on them. And how much ever you do, if anything goes wrong in the family or Household, you are the one to be blamed..something which Queen Regnants luckily escape..
And upon that, your position is not always secure..Overshadowed by Dowager Queens in early stage, and wives of CPs in later stage..

QRs are just measured in terms of "duty"..whereas QCs have several criteria..looks/fashon/jewels/family etc.etc..
But one lucky thing for QC I have observed is..they are almost unconditionally loved (with zero scrutiny) by the public, especially after they become Dowagers, and can almost retire. But QRs never escape scrutiny and "duty" till the end..
Old 09-12-2013, 07:23 AM
Serene Highness

I voted for Queen Silvia, she was a commoner and is every Inch a Queen since her first day. She always kept her grace and style, whatever happens, even in difficult cisrcumstances, such as if she is caring for raped children (Childhood Foundation) or whether she suffered from the infidelities from her husband in the limelight (which was worse then Q Sofia of Spain IMHO, as everybody could read many Details in the book). Also I think, she never did any mistake (as I would Count QEII with Diana or QSofia with her interviews).

So for me she is the most "perfect" Queen.
Bye Bine
Old 02-27-2015, 02:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

I find this question very peculiar because we don't know how the court organizations work and what the influence is of the Queen.

From the Dutch Court we know that Queen Beatrix wanted it all certified according ISO-standards. The Queen enforced that requirements, specifications, guidelines or characteristics can be used consistently to ensure that the internal organization, processes and services are fit for their purpose. Every function, every handling, every material, every process has been described in detail.

Every year internal and external audits are held to see if the court organization is still according the strictest ISO-standards. Well... is thát professional or not? Many people are stating "Queen Silvia!" or "Queen Rania" purely on the outlook. The two most professional court organizations are the Dutch and the Danish one. But the role of the Queens is pretty limited. The smooth running of the court organization is in hands of well-paid professionals, whom are accountable towards the monarch and to the Government (which funds the working budgets).
Old 02-27-2015, 07:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Basing my opinion on what I only see I 'd say that Queen Elizabeth, followed by Queen Mathilde are the most professional queens.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Basing my opinion on what I only see I 'd say that Queen Elizabeth, followed by Queen Mathilde are the most professional queens.
What makes Queen Mathilde "most professional" and not, for an example Queen Letizia or Grand Duchess Maria Teresa and how is that "measured"?
Old 02-27-2015, 09:19 AM
Aristocracy

When Baudouin was alive, no two were as seamless as he and Fabiola. Now, I'd give that title to Harald and Sonja, whom I like very much.

Queen Regnant is hands down...no competition...Queen Elizabeth II. Long may she reign.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by episcogal View Post
When Baudouin was alive, no two were as seamless as he and Fabiola. Now, I'd give that title to Harald and Sonja, whom I like very much.

Queen Regnant is hands down...no competition...Queen Elizabeth II. Long may she reign.
But eeerh... how is measured that Fabiola was "the most professional"? In post 147 you can read how Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands streamlined her court organization and enforced the implementation of ISO-standards for every possible function, action or material. That is what I call professionalism, the court and the "sister organizations" (the Royal House Archives, the Royal Forestry, the Royal Mews, the King's Cabinet, the King's Flight, etc.) are accessible for / accountable by internal and external audits.

From what I see, hear and read, the Belgian Court is (one of) the most unprofessional court organizations working today. Still not what someone's specialities are but WHO he/she is still very much define the access, place and career in that organization. So Queen Fabiola (or Queen Mathilde) as "most professional" is nice, congratulations to them, but WHY ???

Old 02-27-2015, 12:42 PM
Serene Highness

Depends a lot of which definition of Professional you use, but when using "skilled in an activity or profession" i can imagine people mentioning all of the ladies above

Q.Beatrix i would categorize as "the most businesslike" but that technically is not the same as "professional" (even though ofcourse imo Q.Beatrix was quite professional too)
Old 02-27-2015, 01:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Juliana "ruled the Netherlands" from her private residence, Soestdijk Palace. It functioned as a family home but necessarily also state functions were organized in that palace. The bulk of the court organization remained in The Hague, out of the eye of "the boss". Never a good idea. The court organization was also very much a clique. People did not need to apply for jobs. Instead the staff at the Court was asked to look for "trusted persons" in the own circle. It is the same as the Countess of Grantham asking Mrs Patmore (the cook): "Maybe you know someone who could assist you in the kitchen and recommend her to us?"

The court organization under Queen Juliana was characterized as "a lovely chaos". When people were giving a job or a commission, they remained there for the rest of their life. After retirement they often were given a grace and favour home, remaining connected to the Court. It resulted into an arch-loyal workforce but not necessarily the best equipped for their duties, not always the best and the brightest. Queen Beatrix started to make a strict separation between work and private. She moved to the Residence (The Hague). "The Boss" was in the house again. Instead of giving people a job or commission at the palace, in silence ministerial departments, the armed forces, the embassies, multinationals, etc. are "screened" and excellent candidates are detached into the service of the Queen (King) for a couple of years. Having on your curriculum that you were working at the palace is always a pro for the rest of a career... So the Queen managed to get a modern, professional Court without the dangers of a "clique" encapsulating the members of the Royal House: after a couple of years, people are moving again, to make a new step outside the Court.

The disadvantage is that the "romantic Household" with aristocrats, patricians and "old money" has disappeared for a major part. A new head of the Intendance of the Palaces? No, no Count so-and-so or a Baron this-and-that. We recommend an experienced executive from an Amsterdam or The Hague international five-star hotel to run the Intendance of the Palaces. A new Treasurer? No, no Lord this-and-that but an experienced manager from a private equity bank. All very professional but the "lovely chaos" has been replaced by "managers".
Old 02-27-2015, 01:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well said , but what do you think about the Press overshowing your Queen Maxima, people asking to be on pictured only with the Queen and King WA had to move !!
Old 02-27-2015, 02:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Well said , but what do you think about the Press overshowing your Queen Maxima, people asking to be on pictured only with the Queen and King WA had to move !!
That has nothing to do with the professionalism of the Royal House, of course. It has everything to do with the immense popularity of Queen Máxima, which has been remarkably on a constante since her entrance into the family.

What can the courtiers do? Push the people away who scream for the Queen? Since the Investiture, when the King and Queen are doing an engagement together, the Queen really tries to keep the focus on the King but the people see the Queen and scream "Máxima! Máxima! Máxima!". The King doesn't seem to mind. He seems to love it that his wife is so popular. How can ever "win" with such a glamorous spouse?

Old 02-27-2015, 02:57 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
But eeerh... how is measured that Fabiola was "the most professional"? In post 147 you can read how Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands streamlined her court organization and enforced the implementation of ISO-standards for every possible function, action or material. That is what I call professionalism, the court and the "sister organizations" (the Royal House Archives, the Royal Forestry, the Royal Mews, the King's Cabinet, the King's Flight, etc.) are accessible for / accountable by internal and external audits.

From what I see, hear and read, the Belgian Court is (one of) the most unprofessional court organizations working today. Still not what someone's specialities are but WHO he/she is still very much define the access, place and career in that organization. So Queen Fabiola (or Queen Mathilde) as "most professional" is nice, congratulations to them, but WHY ???

I didn't use the word professional for Fabiola. I said the two of them were seamless as a team. She helped him, encouraged him and stood by him as rock solid, but I didn't use the term professional. To me, Fabiola was very warm and loving - not a cool type professional like QEII.

Fabiola did cut out a lot of costs related to her position while queen consort - she had her seamstresses copy couture pieces and formal gowns of friends, etc. She was extremely no-nonsense - they both were.

Fabiola was the first Belgian queen consort to do away with a traditional lady-in-waiting. She established a secretariat to address the problems brought to her attention through the letters she received from Belgian citizens. In that way, she was extremely professional.

However, I merely stated they were seamless as a team, and now I see that same seamless quality in Harald and Sonja, which I like very much.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:00 PM
Serene Highness

Dame Edna?

Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-27-2015, 03:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Dame Edna?

Ha ha love it 👏👏

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 02-27-2015, 04:45 PM
Courtier

Well Dame Edna is certainly the funniest!
Old 02-27-2015, 06:26 PM

Belgium

Queen mathilde of course!