Most Popular Prince / Princess?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well its not their fault that the media followed them.

Of course not, and I was delighted when Diana learned to masterfully manipulate the media that had made millions off her every high point and low point.

Of course not, and I was delighted when Diana learned to masterfully manipulate the media that had made millions off her every high point and low point.

Yep she did but Grace never did. People loved and adored her and loved the work she did. Not her fault her star shined past Monaco and America.

Not Diana's fault she had a star that shined brightly that people followed her

No, but the reason I use "shallow" further above in reference to her coverage and her fans is that I suspect if she had been of plain appearance and dowdy in her wardrobe, the shallow press and its followers would not have seen the star that she was, or intensely followed her every cause, public appearance, and romance. “Iconic Diana” was the creation of a shallow press and the shallow masses that it daily fed.

Last edited:
The irony to try and dim someone's star is funny to me. Not Diana's fault she had a star that shined brightly that people followed her and paid attention to her work which helped many people tremendously. Have you forgotten her work in breaking the stigma of AIDS? Or is that not important to you?

Have you forgotten the Panorama interview? The "Diana: Her True Story" book that was released *twice* by Andrew Morton? Diana *was* controversial and that didn't sit well with the family "Firm". :D

Diana wasn't all good and rainbows and unicorns. She was deliciously human and the media fed on that.

Yes Diana and Grace were very popular princesses.
Nowadays I consider that Mary Donaldson is very popular in Denmark, she has a very beautiful family and represents with dignity the Danish Monarchy.

I like Letizia, but she is not very popular or appreciated by the Spanish people. However, I think she does a good job as Queen of Spain and represents the Spanish monarchy well.

I think Queen Mathilde deserved more attention in the press. She is a good queen and does a good job representing the Belgian monarchy.

The Duchess of Cambridge also does a good job in representing the British monarchy, is discreet, hardworking and does not get into controversy.

Nowadays I consider that Mary Donaldson is very popular in Denmark, she has a very beautiful family and represents with dignity the Danish Monarchy.

I like Letizia, but she is not very popular or appreciated by the Spanish people. However, I think she does a good job as Queen of Spain and represents the Spanish monarchy well.

I think Queen Mathilde deserved more attention in the press. She is a good queen and does a good job representing the Belgian monarchy.

The Duchess of Cambridge also does a good job in representing the British monarchy, is discreet, hardworking and does not get into controversy.
In your opinion why were both Diana and Grace very popular princesses of their time?

Have you forgotten the Panorama interview? The "Diana: Her True Story" book that was released *twice* by Andrew Morton? Diana *was* controversial and that didn't sit well with the family "Firm". :D

Diana wasn't all good and rainbows and unicorns. She was deliciously human and the media fed on that.

Yes you are right but in life we should try to see the good in others and she did a lot of good. I pointed out two females why are we only focused on Diana :)

In your opinion why were both Diana and Grace very popular princesses of their time?

Imho Diana because she was the young wife of the heir to the throne of the most well-known monarchy in the world who loved and sought the limelight. Had she married one of Charles' cousins instead she would not have been 'very popular'.

Grace because she already was well-known as an actress; and brought a breath a fresh air to the principality.

Yes you are right but in life we should try to see the good in others and she did a lot of good. I pointed out two females why are we only focused on Diana :)

Probably because I'm familiar with Diana. Her life, her successes and her failures and know next to nothing about Grace and Monaco. I can only talk about what I know. ?

Imho Diana because she was the young wife of the heir to the throne of the most well-known monarchy in the world who loved and sought the limelight. Had she married one of Charles' cousins instead she would not have been 'very popular'.

Grace because she already was well-known as an actress; and brought a breath a fresh air to the principality.

I am more impressed about Grace's impact as a princess that even younger people know about her. Thats amazing tbh.

Okay but it goes to show that some people just have that star that shines brightly. Grace married into an unknown principality. She could have faded into obscurity but didn't.

Well "star" factor is also highly subjective. What factor appealed to some about those women doesn't necessarily mean the same to others. Let's not forget too at that time the media was extremely keen on promoting both Grace and Diana to their global audiences to sell newspapers and magazines.

Now that we know more about Grace and Diana's personalities, their personal struggles etc..would people view them through the same rosy lenses? I honestly don't know.

Good points Blog Real and this is why I appreciate this forum and similar sites because I can access information about royals from other nations and not just those heavily featured on "People" in the U. S.

I think in the past 3 or so years things seemed to have changed when it comes to the question of popularity of a certain royal prince or princess.
In the late 1990s I would have answered undoubtedly Prince William. Later it was Prince Harry in his 20s and early 30s. King Felipe, as P o Asturias, was very popular in the late 80s because of his looks and height. CP Frederik was always popular in his own country - but of course he had his tough times, especially with the media, before he got married, too.
Nowadays it is very difficult to answer. I think people these days are very divided in all kinds of matters - and on this question, too. It seems if you are for a person, you had to be against the other one! The one who is "fan" of Royal x, "detests" Royal y...
Somehow a healthy balance seemed to be lost.
Not my favourite (although I like her a lot), but I still think CP Victoria is most popular in general, though.

I think Diana's popularity was due to several factors (she married the heir to the most popular monarchy, she supported important humanitarian causes, she was an icon of style, she had an angelic beauty that fascinated) of course, after the end of her marriage, the opinion the public took her side and believed that Prince Charles had traded her for Camilla.
Her death when she was still young made Diana even more famous, and today she is a legend.

Grace starred in the story of the hollywood star who married a European prince. She was already a famous actress and made Monaco a better known country.

As we're in the chitchat subforum i guess a little personal opinion is okay ;) so here goes:
i think Diana and Grace are the two royals in recent history for whom the line between fact and fiction has gotten blurrier and blurrier over the years. Both have inspired several movies/tvseries already and with every fictionalized/romanticized telling of their stories, the original person seems to get further and further away from the image that people know,

In my mind they are very similar in that aspect to Elizabeth, Empress of Austria, better known as Sissi, who'se image to people nowadays is mainly based on the very sugary movies with Romy Schneider.

I could see Diana and Grace's image go the same way, and i think they will inspire fiction for years to come.

the question that probably will never be answered: if they had known this...would they gave liked it... my guess would be no
But i feel there is no way back from this..

is popularity a blessing or a curse?

As we're in the chitchat subforum i guess a little personal opinion is okay ;) so here goes:
i think Diana and Grace are the two royals in recent history for whom the line between fact and fiction has gotten blurrier and blurrier over the years. Both have inspired several movies/tvseries already and with every fictionalized/romanticized telling of their stories, the original person seems to get further and further away from the image that people know,

In my mind they are very similar in that aspect to Elizabeth, Empress of Austria, better known as Sissi, who'se image to people nowadays is mainly based on the very sugary movies with Romy Schneider.

I could see Diana and Grace's image go the same way, and i think they will inspire fiction for years to come.

the question that probably will never be answered: if they had known this...would they gave liked it... my guess would be no

is popularity a blessing or a curse?
I love this because this is very true. I think popularity can be both. It can be a great thing to bring awareness/attention to the causes you support and the country you represent but a bad thing on a personal level with people wanting and watching your every move.

I think Diana's popularity was due to several factors (she married the heir to the most popular monarchy, she supported important humanitarian causes, she was an icon of style, she had an angelic beauty that fascinated) of course, after the end of her marriage, the opinion the public took her side and believed that Prince Charles had traded her for Camilla.
Her death when she was still young made Diana even more famous, and today she is a legend.

Grace starred in the story of the hollywood star who married a European prince. She was already a famous actress and made Monaco a better known country.

Okay then on a personal level why were both Diana and Grace beloved princesses?

I haven't seen a princess like Grace and Diana on a daily basis received so much flowers just from a normal royal walkabout. Flowers represent love and affection.

I love this because this is very true. I think popularity can be both. It can be a great thing to bring awareness/attention to the causes you support and the country you represent but a bad thing on a personal level with people wanting and watching your every move.

Thing is, that i often see fans of Diana (i use the word fan on purpose here), in their quest to put Diana on a pedestal, they actually often resort to diminishing or making nasty remarks about the British monarchy and/or it's members.
So by extent imo the popularity of the ever more fictionalized Diana is not necessarily good for the monarchy she represented.

Thing is, that i often see fans of Diana (i use the word fan on purpose here), in their quest to put Diana on a pedestal, they actually often resort to diminishing or making nasty remarks about the British monarchy and/or it's members.
So by extent imo the popularity of the ever more fictionalized Diana is not necessarily good for the monarchy she represented.

This I agree with. Not healthy to put someone on a pedestal but her fans probably didn't like how the firm treated Diana and with The Crown(I know not accurate) it seems to get a rise from people.

I read this comment on here: "I think that the most well known Princesses were Princess Diana and Princess Grace.Diana for charities and all that drama concerning her life (Prince Charle's infidelity,her relationships,her death) and Grace because she incarnated the absolute dream : Academy Award-winning actress who became Princess!!"

Last edited:
sorry are you saying that the CRown.. is accurate??

Okay then on a personal level why were both Diana and Grace beloved princesses?

I haven't seen a princess like Grace and Diana on a daily basis received so much flowers just from a normal royal walkabout. Flowers represent love and affection.

How many princesses have you watched on walkabouts and over waht period of time? Unless you've done that, looked at lots of other royals and princesses doing walkabouts or greeting the public and checked how many flowers they got I can't see how you can say that Grace and Diana got the most...

I don't think it is fair to compare popularity across different countries with different realities and different circumstances. It makes more sense to compare who is more or less popular within each individual RF in each individual country instead. In other words, it makes sense to compare Kate's popularity to Meghan's for example, but not to compare Kate to Mary Donaldson or Victoria for instance.

Also we should always keep in mind that popularity is a dynamic variable that may change considerably over time.

is popularity a blessing or a curse?[/QUOTE]

Bingo-I doubt that Grace and Diana would recognize themselves if they saw their film depictions.
Honestly to Diana's and Grace's children I believe that they often see it as a curse and have attempted to keep it at bay to some degree.

Also I tend to believe that the various royal courts make use of Diana's and Grace's stories as a cautionary tale often repeated to the younger members and to those who marry into the family. There appears to be a greater desire for privacy and they carefully limit the exposure of the younger members to shield them.
The days of large photo sessions on holidays are very limited now. Courts now release photos via their own social media or official websites as well as the traditional media sources.

All in all, I don't believe that any royal truly wants the "fame" and "popularity" that Grace and Diana had in their lifetimes, because the cost is just too high.

Bingo-I doubt that Grace and Diana would recognize themselves if they saw their film depictions.
Honestly to Diana's and Grace's children I believe that they often see it as a curse and have attempted to keep it at bay to some degree.

Also I tend to believe that the various royal courts make use of Diana's and Grace's stories as a cautionary tale often repeated to the younger members and to those who marry into the family. There appears to be a greater desire for privacy and they carefully limit the exposure of the younger members to shield them.
The days of large photo sessions on holidays are very limited now. Courts now release photos via their own social media or official websites as well as the traditional media sources.

All in all, I don't believe that any royal truly wants the "fame" and "popularity" that Grace and Diana had in their lifetimes, because the cost is just too high.
Then why were the both of them so beloved then?

I don't know. I think Diana was genuinely popular (or at least well-known / famous) on an international (meaning worldwide) scale, but she actually benefited in part from the greater international visibility of the British RF compared to other "ordinary" RFs.

Grace, on the other hand, was in a way already popular (or well-known) before she became a royal because she was a movie star at a time when Hollywood was pretty much structured around a "star system" (the movie industry still has "stars" so to speak today, but the way the system works is somewhat different). And, in the US in particular, Grace and tiny Monaco got disproportionate attention because Grace was American (sort of similar in a way to the "Meghan effect" nowadays in the US media).

Last edited:
Then why were the both of them so beloved then?

They were both young beautiful and fashionably dressed.. they were both well known because the BRF is the best known to Americans and to the world at large.. Same with Grace... she was an American and a movie star so she already had a degree of popularity when she married Rainier.. and her youth and beauty helped to keep her well known...

I don't know. I think Diana was genuinely popular (or at least well-known / famous) on an international (meaning worldwide) scale, but she actually benefited in part from the greater international visibility of the British RF compared to other "ordinary" RFs.

Grace, on the other hand, was in a way already popular (or well-known) before she became a royal because she was a movie star at a time when Hollywood was pretty much structured around a "star system" (the movie industry still has "stars" so to speak today, but the way the system works is somewhat different). And, in the US in particular, Grace and tiny Monaco got disproportionate attention because Grace was American (sort of similar in a way to the "Meghan effect" nowadays in the US media).

Please "Meghan effect" does not compare to Grace Kelly who was like you said a true Star(when being a "star" seems more respectable than today celebrities) and the attention/media Grace had during her time Meghan does not compare.

Diana and Grace were both genuinely popular and beloved.

They were both young beautiful and fashionably dressed.. they were both well known because the BRF is the best known to Americans and to the world at large.. Same with Grace... she was an American and a movie star so she already had a degree of popularity when she married Rainier.. and her youth and beauty helped to keep her well known...

While that is true if that was the case every princess who is beautiful and dressed would be popular. Diana popularity is also because of her caring side and human touch. Grace you can see the fairy tale aspect but she did a lot of work for Monaco and was respected.

While that is true if that was the case every princess who is beautiful and dressed would be popular. Diana popularity is also because of her caring side and human touch. Grace you can see the fairy tale aspect but she did a lot of work for Monaco and was respected.

As I've said, Diana benefited from the greater visibility of the British Royal family... and from marrying the heir to the throne. Had she married P Edward, she might not have been so well known or visible..

Back
Top Bottom