The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Chit Chat

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-14-2006, 07:25 AM
Royal Highness

Thanks Madame Royale

Marengo, I agree with your observation - it is a bit funny/strange! Judging by the reactions of posters living in other monarchies than the English, we do not agree that 'the queen' is QEII

Old 12-14-2006, 07:28 AM
Serene Highness

I think the British Royal family are the most known (especially The Queen). About the Spanish royals, I got the impression that they are quite well known in South American countries
I live in Madrid and the people know who the members of the family are. I often hear people talking about them. Like last week I was in a café and I heard 2 women talking about Letizia. Last summer I was in Mallorca and the 3 people behind me on the bus were debating who was their favourite Infanta..Elena or Cristina.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
it is actually the King of Thailand who is the doyenne of sovereigns, not Queen Elizabeth II.
Yes, I know I was referring to female monarchs as my post indicates.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:08 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

In my haste to protest about suspected anglosaxon arrogance I overlooked that detail But I apologise...

Having that said, HM Queen Elizabeth II is of course the most famous Queen of the moment, though not to everybody. I can imagine that in Hungary people still first associate their Sisi with the word Queen and in France many will first think of poor Marie-Antoinette. My own grandmother always first thought of Quen Wilhelmina when the word Queen would show anywhere, and not about her queenly daughter or granddaughter.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
In my haste to protest about suspected anglosaxon arrogance I overlooked that detail But I apologise...
That's quite alright, Marengo Not a problem at all.

Quote:
Having that said, HM Queen Elizabeth II is of course the most famous Queen of the moment, though not to everybody. I can imagine that in Hungary people still first associate their Sisi with the word Queen and in France many will first think of poor Marie-Antoinette. My own grandmother always first thought of Quen Wilhelmina when the word Queen would show anywhere, and not about her queenly daughter or granddaughter.
I totally agree.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
it is actually the King of Thailand who is the doyenne of sovereigns, not Queen Elizabeth II.

Funny how many anglosaxons automatically presume that their monarch is automatically superior to anything else in the world. Rule Britannia and the Empire!
That's a bit presumptuous, don't you think? I have no great love for the Empire, nor do I think Britian is superior (and I'm not Anglo-Saxon).
However, it seems silly to pretend that other Monarchs are as well known as QEII when obviously they're not.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:50 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I never said other monarchs are as well-known as Queen Elizabeth II as they are not. But to presume even in other monarchies/countries in the world people/newspaper usually have QEII as first reference with the word 'queen' is a bit over the top IMO and untrue.
I could build up a theory about the american/british vision of the rest of the world related to this presumption but that topic might better be left out of this discussion as we are not a political forum. I apologise for mentioning it alltogether.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I apologise for mentioning it alltogether.
You have nothing to apologise for, Marengo. Not a thing
Old 12-21-2006, 01:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I never said other monarchs are as well-known as Queen Elizabeth II as they are not. But to presume even in other monarchies/countries in the world people/newspaper usually have QEII as first reference with the word 'queen' is a bit over the top IMO and untrue.
For the record, I never said that was the case. However, I have been abroad and seen newspapers with a Monarchy where the "Queen" was mentioned and referedto QEII.

Quote:
I could build up a theory about the american/british vision of the rest of the world related to this presumption but that topic might better be left out of this discussion as we are not a political forum. I apologise for mentioning it alltogether.
There's no need to apologise. However, I don't see why you feel the need to bring up my nationality each time, as though it's a decisive indicator of all my opinions.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota
i think the most known prince is for definate prince william. and i second what mari said that in the spanish speaking hemisphere the princes of asturias are the most well known. perhaps maxima as well because of being from south america but only in south america.
I am sorry to inform that, though many people around here may know something about Maxima (after all, we don't have an Argentinian as a future Queen every day), we're not very up to date with her activities, unless you are (like me) interested/curious in some way about the subject. She appears sometimes in magazines (and yes, there was coverage when she came last year in the state visit with the Queen), but in daily life, she is no subject of conversation.

She claims to be "a Dutch born in Buenos Aires", that's probably why we don't take her much into account...
Old 01-15-2007, 04:35 PM
Commoner

I think

Diana, she still consider the most photographed royalty. And second will be Mary.

And for male, it would be Prince William, after the death of Diana, he got all the media attention, look what's going on right now with his girlfriend, and they're not engaged yet. I can imagine what would be if they get married

Old 01-15-2007, 08:54 PM
Aristocracy

Prince: William and Harry
Princess: Letizia
Old 01-15-2007, 09:58 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
For the record, I never said that was the case. However, I have been abroad and seen newspapers with a Monarchy where the "Queen" was mentioned and referedto QEII.
I've lived in Germany, Italy, and France and never heard even a reference to merely 'the Queen' to refer to anybody.

Elizabeth II is never referred to in the U.S. as merely the Queen but always as Queen Elizabeth, or the Queen of England, or Elizabeth II. In Germany, she was always referred to as die Koenigin, Elizabeth II and in France as la reine Elisabeth.

The only place I heard of Elizabeth II referred to as just 'the Queen' was in England which was perfectly appropriate because her title there is HM. the Queen. Queen Elizabeth referred to the late Queen Mother.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 01-15-2007, 10:57 PM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative – Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...sOfIa....
About the Spanish royals, I got the impression that they are quite well known in South American countries
You're right Sofia , and not only in South American countries, but in Latin American countries.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
Princess: I'd say Grace of Monaco
Prince: The Duke of Edinburgh

Live, Highlander. Grow stronger. Fight another day. Highlander: The Series

Old 01-16-2007, 12:06 AM
Nobility

Now days I think William and Harry,Charles,Edward and Andrew of GB and Albert and Princesses Caroline and Stephanie of Monaco and Princess Masako of Japan as well as Princess Anne of GB.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:46 PM
Nobility

In Commonwealth countries, "The Queen" = QEII

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
The only place I heard of Elizabeth II referred to as just 'the Queen' was in England which was perfectly appropriate because her title there is HM. the Queen. Queen Elizabeth referred to the late Queen Mother.
She is the Queen of about 16 countries, and is commonly referred to as "The Queen." I think it would also be common in other Commonwealth countries, because they have such a close association with her.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:03 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvr girl
She is the Queen of about 16 countries, and is commonly referred to as "The Queen." I think it would also be common in other Commonwealth countries, because they have such a close association with her.
Thanks for that clarification yvr girl. Now to clarify my statement a bit more, I meant I had not heard Elizabeth II referred to as simply the Queen in any country where she was not in fact the Queen.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 01-18-2007, 12:15 PM
Courtier

The most known Prince has to be Prince William of Wales and the most known Princess is Princess Caroline of Hanover,Hereditary Princess of Monaco.

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
Old 01-18-2007, 01:09 PM
Royal Highness

Doyenne / Doyen

HM Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom is the Doyenne of world's Sovereigns.

HM King Bhumibol of Thailand is the Doyen of world's Sovereigns.

Doyenne = most senior female
Doyen = most senior male