The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Chit Chat

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-12-2006, 04:40 PM
Courtier

I was surprised when I found out that I know more about the Spanish Royal Family then the Spanish people I study with.
I just heard sentences like: "Letizia? I am not sure, but I think she is our nex Queen, isn't she?"
I have got the feeling they are more known in other lands then in Spain.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:11 PM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative – Spain

On the other hand I have a Spanish friend that doesn't know anything about the Spanish Royal Family.. He only knows that Letizia will be the next Queen.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:20 PM
Serene Highness

Really? Well, I think most people in Sweden recognize King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia and their children Victoria, Carl Philip and Madeleine. But they don't have to care much about them.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:54 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari_*
On the other hand I have a Spanish friend that doesn't know anything about the Spanish Royal Family.. He only knows that Letizia will be the next Queen.
Well, it depends where you live, for example, in Barcelona the majority of people don't know anything about the Royal Family, they say that monarchy is something anachronic and I even have to hide away my feelings for the monarchies in order not to be critizised.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:24 PM
Nobility

Barcelona is an exception.

Much people know the Spanish real family and are the most well-known in the world along with British real family
Old 12-13-2006, 02:57 AM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative – Spain

My friend is from Galicia..
Old 12-13-2006, 04:29 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargreteI
So ?

I do not see how this is relevant to what I wrote.

Yes, she is more known worldwide (which I did not object to), but we still do not refer to her as "The Queen" (which I pointed out).

What was your point exept to make it known we are a peanut size country no one knows about with prince who need to work more ?
You're right MargreteI; in Denmark 'the queen' is Margrethe II; in Sweden 'the queen' is Silvia and in Norway it is Sonja. I don't believe that any newspaper or magazine in Scandinavia would refer to 'the queen' and mean QEII - nobody would recognize that reference.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Outside of Scandanavia the "Queen" is almost always a reference to Queen Elizabeth II. Some people might be uncomfortable with that fact but it tends to be true.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:49 PM
Serene Highness

But really, I also think the Dutch think of Beatrix as "the queen", the Spanish think of Sophia as "the queen", and the Belgians think of Paola as "the queen", et cetera. Not only the Scandinavian countries and UK have queens. I think it's safe to say though, that Elizabeth II is the most famous queen in the world.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:27 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
Outside of Scandanavia the "Queen" is almost always a reference to Queen Elizabeth II. Some people might be uncomfortable with that fact but it tends to be true.
No, the reference "The Queen" is never QEII in another monarchy regardless how small it is or how world wide famous QEII is. That would be downright rude to "The Queen"! Even if outside Scandinavia in say The Netherlands, Thailand or Jordan.

I quote my self :

Quote:
That may be the case in a republic, but not in another monarcy. Around here there is only one "The Queen" and that is not Queen Elizabeth. I am pretty sure the same aplies in for instance The Netherlands, Belgium or Spain.
All I did was clearify someone elses post to exclude monarcies when the term "The Queen" is used as reference to QEII. To which that poster responded "Yes - off course" I ment in republics. Please note that I did object to her being "The Queen" in republics.

What is the problem ??!??

Why the need for such comments like "some people may be uncomftable" or "like it or not" ect.

I can't belive it can be a problem to point out she is not "The Queen" in another monarchy. Apparently so ... for some people.

I'm just
Old 12-13-2006, 04:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargreteI
No, the reference "The Queen" is never QEII in another monarchy regardless how small it is or how world wide famous QEII is. That would be downright rude to "The Queen"! Even if outside Scandinavia in say The Netherlands, Thailand or Jordan.
I've read newspapers from other countries with monarchies where the Queen referenced was not the Queen of that land. I can't say I found it rude.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:20 PM
Aristocracy

Sometimes in Spain I heard the expression "Queen of Queens" referring to QEII.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:21 PM
Nobility

PRINCESS DIANA OF WALES of course..everybody knows her, she is recognized worldwide..When you talk about royalty in countries which have no monarchy, the first person they would think of is Diana, Prince William, Charles or the Queen Elizabeth II..Even the non-royal fanatics or watchers knew or heard these names.

Old 12-13-2006, 08:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Generally speaking, outside your own fields of interests,

Princess of wales, because her star system that she drived her to her tragic end! as a Princess

If we are talking about a queen, Queen EII, because she is, until now, the more historic one.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:52 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
I've read newspapers from other countries with monarchies where the Queen referenced was not the Queen of that land. I can't say I found it rude.
How very odd; I would never have believed any media in a monarchy would make such an error - don't recall having seen it myself.
The queen of any monarchy must be 'the queen'. Outside of other monarchies QEII may be 'the queen' for all I care - and very likely the most well-known one.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:54 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelaide
If we are talking about a queen, Queen EII, because she is, until now, the more historic one.
What do you mean by 'historic'?
Old 12-14-2006, 04:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Within Britain, Commonwealth realms and the US, 'the Queen' is normally in refference to Elizabeth II, but within the remaining and respective European monarchies (Luxembourg aside) it is their Queen to whom they refer. Whether Consort or Regnant
Old 12-14-2006, 04:20 AM
Royal Highness

Precisely! Madame Royale
Old 12-14-2006, 06:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane
What do you mean by 'historic'?
I could be wrong, but I think adelaide means the longest serving famle monarch out of the current 'bunch'
Old 12-14-2006, 07:00 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

it is actually the King of Thailand who is the doyenne of sovereigns, not Queen Elizabeth II.

Funny how many anglosaxons automatically presume that their monarch is automatically superior to anything else in the world. Rule Britannia and the Empire!