Who has The Least Public / Official Engagements?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think its all about expectation. If the Danes are happy with Frederik with all his strenghts and weaknesses than fine. It remains to be seen whether the Danes are still happy with Frederiks attitude as monarch where he has to step up a few gears.

What I want to say is that "working hard" doesnt guarantee survival of the institution. It has a lot to do with charisma and individual perception.

While eg Felipe of Spain is considered as "hardworking", Spain is one of the countries that is closer to a republic than others, such as Denmark. And while Felipe is seen by many as "overprepared" in terms of education etc he is still being perceived as boring, lacking charisma or personality and only being good at taking directions whereever they are coming from. A possibly overshadowing wife is a big no-no in spanish attitude.

Frederik in contrast is much liked by the Danes probably because of being "imperfect" but with a folksy attitude bonding with the public, plus with a wife who is welcome to overshadow and publicly help him to overcome his deficites.

Therefore comparisons always have to be seen with the local background. What works in one country, could be counterproductive in another.

I'm so tired of reading in every royal board so many foreign experts on Spanish culture and sexism.

Re: the republican movement in Spain, in the same poll that stated 86% of Spaniards thought Felipe was ready to reign(published in May, it's very recent), a 69% of voters of the most leftist, republican party considered that Felipe would have the social support to become King when the time comes.
Divided on age groups:
78% of Spaniards under 35 think that Felipe will have the social support and legitimacy to succeed as King.
83% of Spaniards 35-55 think that Felipe will have the social support and legitimacy to succeed as King.
74% of Spaniards over 55 think that Felipe will have the social support and legitimacy to succeed as King.

Last edited:
Just to clarify on the poll you are referring to - while a vast majority thinks that Felipe is prepared to reign, the support for the institution itself is on decline.

Juan Carlos' son: Fit to be king, according to poll
The report was drawn up between September 24 and November 5 of last year with 5,000 people questioned. It showed that the majority of Spaniards preferred a parliamentary monarch as the best system of government for the country. However support for this is on the decline. Over a two year period, support dropped from 72 to 57 per cent whilst those supporting a republic have grown from 11 to 35 per cent.

We already have a handsome, actively working and charismatic CP. Wouldn't you like that? ;)

??? He is probably handsome and nice, sorry I don't see actively working nor charisma of the leader of a nation.

Just to clarify on the poll you are referring to - while a vast majority thinks that Felipe is prepared to reign, the support for the institution itself is on decline.

Juan Carlos' son: Fit to be king, according to poll
The report was drawn up between September 24 and November 5 of last year with 5,000 people questioned. It showed that the majority of Spaniards preferred a parliamentary monarch as the best system of government for the country. However support for this is on the decline. Over a two year period, support dropped from 72 to 57 per cent whilst those supporting a republic have grown from 11 to 35 per cent.

Monarchy is still among one of the most valued institutions in Spain under the economic cisis. The government rating is probably less than 30% with a very unpopular PM (not all his own fault actually IMO since it took a couple of generations to have today's bad economy).

Last edited:
Please don't get me wrong here...but I have question as some referred to Denmark as a small country and that compared to this the Crown Prince actualy has a busy schedule...does this mean that it is not common in Denmark to work 40 hours a week?

Although I love love love Mette-Marit, I unfortunately have to admit that she was very very lazy lately. Don't know why...as I think that she chosed her engagaments very wisely so far and I admired her work very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please don't get me wrong here...but I have question as some referred to Denmark as a small country and that compared to this the Crown Prince actualy has a busy schedule...does this mean that it is not common in Denmark to work 40 hours a week?

37 hours a week is the usual standard according to the agreements, as specified by the employers organisations and unions.
That means you get your normal basic salary (day salary) for 37 hours. Everything else is overtime and the salary is higher or you get proportional freetime instead.
In reality it's very common to clock in a couple of hours more a week.
And so is flex-time, so it can vary a lot.

Some people work "half time" i.e. 30-32 hours.

The reference to DK being a small country, has nothing to do with the DRF workload, only that the population is so small that the "saturation point" of the DRF, is lower in DK than in countries with a larger population.
To use a very rough (and actually somewhat meaningless) comparison: If DK had the population of France, about 65 million, the DRF should take on eleven times as many engagements as now to reach the same level of "saturation" as in DK.

Last edited:
37 hours a week is the usual standard according to the agreements, as specified by the employers organisations and unions.
That means you get your normal basic salary (day salary) for 37 hours. Everything else is overtime and the salary is higher or you get proportional freetime instead.
In reality it's very common to clock in a couple of hours more a week.
And so is flex-time, so it can vary a lot.

Some people work "half time" i.e. 30-32 hours.

The reference to DK being a small country, has nothing to do with the DRF workload, only that the population is so small that the "saturation point" of the DRF, is lower in DK than in countries with a larger population.
To use a very rough (and actually somewhat meaningless) comparison: If DK had the population of France, about 65 million, the DRF should take on eleven times as many engagements as now to reach the same level of "saturation" as in DK.

Thank you Muhler :flowers:

IMO, I can compare Felipe with Frederick because they can't be compared. One is very hard working, wants to be prepared for the future role of the Head of State, he is beginning to be listen by the more and more world leaders and thanks to his wife is more warm and close to the people. And this is Felipe. And one likes sports and from timne to time "work". And this is Frederick.
Yes it is more likely for Spain to became a republic in the future (will see) than Denmark, but for their future Head of State, Felipe is much more prepared than Frederick.
And not only Felipe, it is Willem-Alexander, Haakon, who gain credibility like future Kings and I can say evan GUillome of Luxembourg and Philippe of Belgium (with the best help of his amazing wife).
I'm sorry to say but from all, Frederick seem to me the less prepare for his job.

I can't really say that any of the royals are lazy as I only hear & see them when they're out in public. And different countries have different needs. Charles, Felipe, Fred, WM, Haakon, Victoria, Philippe & Guillaume do things according to their respective countries needs/wants.

4Parn you are right. It is all a bunch of nonsense. The ribbon cutting and attending venues that you could care less about, is not as noble as the "Big Sell".

Duchess Catherine

It may be a good idea to let someone of non royal blood be married for six months to a year, so that they are familiar and comfortable in their role before we start calling them lazy.

She hasn't been married for two months.

Last edited:
Going back a few post's, I fail to see how the size or population of a country relates to the amount of royal duties performed. Every country has a certain amount of people in need, eg. medical probs, hunger, poverty. The scope for a royal to display altruism is almost endless, thus they could probably find a cause for every day of the week, if so desired. IMO

Well Kate was precieved as lazy before her engagment.People were wondering what she did besides dating the prince.I don't call her lazy because she just got married and she's not the Princess of Wales yet.

Last edited:
ilovemonaco: dont you know many princesses who just two months after their wedding had so many public outings or engagements: tour of a country, canada, for 10 days and 3 days in USA?

And be prepared for that in performing charming outings to get used to be amoung crowds and so small talks to people for accoutumance: Epsom, Trooping the colour, the ARK Gala tomorrow night, the Order of the Garter, attending the polo match for sentabele with william and harry.

Of course these events are not so hard to perform, but this is part of what all royal families have to do. I think her agenda is full for a just newly wed.

And with your name I think you are fan of the Monaco family. What did Charlene performs so hard?

Oh yes I know: choose her clothes on differents catalogues (Armani and Dior), do many many many photos shoots, and not smile during her numerous appareance at galas and galas. Very hard life for the Grimaldis

Going back a few post's, I fail to see how the size or population of a country relates to the amount of royal duties performed. Every country has a certain amount of people in need, eg. medical probs, hunger, poverty. The scope for a royal to display altruism is almost endless, thus they could probably find a cause for every day of the week, if so desired. IMO

Well said, greenways...I was starting to think the same...that is mainly why I asked the working hours in Denmark. For me ultimately a small country does not necessarily mean less work..This arguement of some posters doesn't work for me as well.

Well said, greenways...I was starting to think the same...that is mainly why I asked the working hours in Denmark. For me ultimately a small country does not necessarily mean less work..This arguement of some posters doesn't work for me as well.

I see I failed to make my point clear enough. :)

There is a limit to how many engagements a royal family can attend in a small country, compared to a large country, before it stops being an event.
If the royals are seen here there and everywhere all the time they seize to be interesting.
Let's leave two or three ribbons for the politicians to cut, shall we? ;)
As for altruism. Well, speaking for the DRF, there do have a number of associations, foundations, patronacies (spll?) and so on which are beneficial and charitable. Most are in fact.
I don't think we can expect say QMII getting up every morning at 04.00 in order to prepare breakfast at the local retirement home.

In my opinion this can be compared with me walking into the office of my boss and saying: "Hey, unless you are going on business travels, attending business conferences and having meeting with clients and suppliers, you are not working".
I think it would be a pretty good idea if I left the door open and strapped a pillow to my behind! - That way it won't hurt so much when I get kicked out...

Very well said Muhler.

There is one more aspect to think about. What is with the hosts? Don't they need time and sometimes money to prepare the visit of the royals? Would it be appropriate for the royals to use up so much resources quite often to just show up? Especially in a small country?

To me there is a huge difference in working or not and in an endless stream of public appearances. Of course the public engagements can be easily counted.

-----
Although I love love love Mette-Marit, I unfortunately have to admit that she was very very lazy lately. Don't know why...as I think that she chosed her engagaments very wisely so far and I admired her work very much.

What I read and understood is Mette-Marit is studying. Just because someone isn't in the public doesn't necessarily mean he or she is lazy. Probably the person in question has other priorities and doesn't think it's needed to show up all the time in public.

ilovemonaco: dont you know many princesses who just two months after their wedding had so many public outings or engagements: tour of a country, canada, for 10 days and 3 days in USA?

And be prepared for that in performing charming outings to get used to be amoung crowds and so small talks to people for accoutumance: Epsom, Trooping the colour, the ARK Gala tomorrow night, the Order of the Garter, attending the polo match for sentabele with william and harry.

Of course these events are not so hard to perform, but this is part of what all royal families have to do. I think her agenda is full for a just newly wed.

And with your name I think you are fan of the Monaco family. What did Charlene performs so hard?

Oh yes I know: choose her clothes on differents catalogues (Armani and Dior), do many many many photos shoots, and not smile during her numerous appareance at galas and galas. Very hard life for the Grimaldis

just because i love monaco doesnt mean i love charlene....her interview in her first grade french after pratically 4 years annoyed me...

How dare you Ilovemonaco to say Kate is lazy? :eek:

Kidding. Her past isn´t erased just with the wedding. Wow, she did art at the university and did some photos. Like Carl Philipp. And he got many mentions here as a lazy Royal. So where is the difference? Sorry, but it isn´t so that Kate was heavy involved in a career and boom she is now a Royal and had to change her life dramatically. So ITA Kate is a lazy Royal.

I adore Prince Frederick, I hate that people perceive him as lazy. He is my fav Crown Prince, tied with Haakon. But I admit I am unable to get a lot of info on them and their lives now and in the past decades.

When it comes to whether some royals are lazy or not, the interesting thing would be to know how many events/appointments they are asked to participate in and how many of those events they say no to, instead of looking at how many or few events they attend. The royals can't really go out and hunt for events to be a part of, if they don't get an invitation I don't think they would just turn up to be seen as working. It's difficult to compare different countries, how interested organizations and others are of having a royal to visit or opening or seeing something. For example in Sweden it's more likely that a local politician is asked to open a new hospital ward or a shopping centre, while in Britain perhaps a royal would be asked to come to those events.

I think this is a very unfair thread because we don't have enough insider information to actually judge with even a hint of justice and fairness to it.

I agree with Kataryn about this being unfair as we simply do not have information about what goes on behind the scenes in royals lives. I just came here for a quick look.

When it comes to whether some royals are lazy or not, the interesting thing would be to know how many events/appointments they are asked to participate in and how many of those events they say no to, instead of looking at how many or few events they attend. The royals can't really go out and hunt for events to be a part of, if they don't get an invitation I don't think they would just turn up to be seen as working. It's difficult to compare different countries, how interested organizations and others are of having a royal to visit or opening or seeing something. For example in Sweden it's more likely that a local politician is asked to open a new hospital ward or a shopping centre, while in Britain perhaps a royal would be asked to come to those events.
The Swedish royal family is very active in initiating events. The schedule of Prince Daniel has been very much initiated by the court in picking places and businesses he has visited. The royal couple's August travel around Sweden was announced and places of interest requested from all regions. The royal family does not sit back and wait for an invitation.

I don't think you can compare royals from country to country. In some countries royals are very involved in supporting charitable organizations while in others this would be a non-starter since that would be considered the duty of the state and not private groups. In some countries the entire royal family undertake official engagements while in others it is really just the monarch & consort plus the heir and spouse. It is a case of horses for courses but as long the monarchy fulfills the needs of the individual country that is all that matters.
The tone of the thread sounds as if it was set up for some individual royal bashing.

Last edited:
I don't think you can compare royals from country to country. In some countries royals are very involved in supporting charitable organizations while in others this would be a non-starter since that would be considered the duty of the state and not private groups. In some countries the entire royal family undertake official engagements while in others it is really just the monarch & consort plus the heir and spouse. It is a case of horses for courses but as long the monarchy fulfills the needs of the individual country that is all that matters.
The tone of the thread sounds as if it was set up for some individual royal bashing.

I feel the same. Most of the posters are comparing apples with oranges anyway.

Basically 2 royals in Monaco looking after a population of 36,371; 4-6 royals in Denmark looking after 5.5m and c.13-14 royals in the UK looking after 62.6 million. You just can't make comparisons.

It would also be a mistake to judge who is working harder by those you see. The press never mention Prince Andrew but yesterday he carried out 3 engagements. In fact all fulltime members of the royal family carried out engagements yesterday. Only Charles, Camilla and William made the news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom