Who has The Least Public / Official Engagements?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In 2005 Edward carried out 349 official engagements in the UK and overseas - hardly evidence of him being lazy.

Don't forget that for each of these engagements there would need to be briefings about the people to be met and the work of the organisation etc. This is behinds the scene work that isn't counted in the number of engagements but is the preparation needed to do the engagement properly.

As well as he travels likely more than most other than Andrew. He took over as head of the Commonwealth games federation, and the Duke of Edinburgh awards, both from his father. It points again more towards the intention, when Charles is king, to Edward taking his father's title, as said when he married. Both require him to be over seas a lot. Travel time should be taken into consideration as well. I believe he is also involved with the paralympics and several other groups as a patron.

I am sorry, I think I misunderstood the question!
Prince Harry does have a good excuse for not attending events then, but what about his cousins Beatrice and Eugenie?

Last edited:
I am sorry, I think I misunderstood the question!
Prince Harry does have a good excuse for not attending events then, but what about his cousins Beatrice and Eugenie?

They have an equally good excuse...they are in university. As previously pointed out by iluvbertie in a couple of the Beatrice/Eugenie threads....both Harry and William were not expected to perform royal engagements at the age that Beatrice and Eugenie are now. Beatrice and Eugenie show up at the "big events" but that is about it.

Beatrice and Eugenie

I don't know about other royal families, but in the BRF, I would say Beatrice and Eugenie are the laziest. I never see then doing anything but look wasted while leaving nighclubs and parties dressed in ridiculous fashion or on vacation on a beach somewhere. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Again, Beatrice and Eugenie are 22 and 20...doing exactly the same thing that their Wales cousins and Zara did when they were the same age.

The only difference is that the press did not follow every aspect of William's life when he was in college. Does anyone remember the agreement between the Press and BP regarding Harry and William following Diana's death?

Step up what?

I am sorry...but how often do you see the young Luxembourg royals out doing public engagements...they are about the same age? I am talking about Alexandra, Felix? And if anyone can remember that far back....Joachim, WA, Fred, etc. At the same age that Beatrice and Eugenie are now...they appeared in public during big events and for the most part, their private life was not publicized while they were in school. Nor did they step it up and do a ton of engagements.

I find it a little sad that we are comparing the royal engagements of two young woman who are in college with grown adults. Even comparing them with their cousins who have a good four to eight years on them...shouldn't they be compared or graded on a curve?

Last edited:
According to Wikipedia, William didn't begun royal duties until the age of 21 when he was made a Counsellor of State, and Harry at the age of 23. During that time they all began military careers, hugn out at bars, and were photographed doing not so nice things that come to mind.

I'm sorry but in the real world, if you are 20 or 22 years-old you are an adult. OK so they are in college but they are still princesses. It's not only about not working, it's embarassing the monarchy by going out looking like THIS or THIS. They still represent the crown, even if in a minor way. They should know better. So that have an excuse not to work, but some time ago, it was reported that Eugenie was in trouble in college because she was partying too much. There was even photos of her running around campus with a bunch of book or something. She are not working and they are not applying herself at school. And Beatrice, I think she is out of college already, I'm not sure.
PS. Sorry about Lily Allen in the second picture it was the only one i could find of Eugenie in this outifit

William and Harry

About William and Harry, they also made a lot of mistakes and embarassed the queen, especially Harry - remember the hitler costume? That was awful. But they turned around and got better. I hope Beatrice and Eugenie can do the same thing

And if you recall in my post, I was talking about the BRITISH family. I did say that i didn't know much about the others.

But I agree. Fred was lazy. Even I, who don't follow his life, heard rumors about that. I hope he got better

Beatrice is not out of college...I believe she is scheduled to graduate this spring.

Eugenie being in trouble at school is being reported by the Daily Mail...not the most reliable of sources.I am not sure I get your reference of her running around campus with books...isn't that what one is supposed to do when in college? Have books....study books?

You are still missing the point about the age. No one said they weren't adults or young adults...the point is....people are making a statement about them being lazy royals. I agree that they should remember all times that they are Princesses and act accordingly (but than would they get the same criticism that their late Aunt Margaret and father get?). My point is that at the same age (20 and 22) their cousins William and Harry, and their uncles Charles and Edward were doign the same thing...not performing royal engagements unless they were with their parents.

I would agree that they have a questionable taste in clothes but let's not forget some of the things that their cousins have worn or done. Hello magazine anyone?

IMO if anyone is going to make a claim about someone...it should be based on reputable sources over a significant period of time. Quoting the Daily Mail (which seems to have an axe to grind with anyone with money, social class or both) as well as making unjust comparisons is just that unjust. Some friend says that Eugenie is in danger of flunking out. Wow...what a friend. It sounds very dubious to me....if you are so sure of your facts...why not let your name be printed. How do you know this? Are you a friend hanging out with Eugenie? Or you a professor? Isn't publishing grades a privacy issue? I am very interested to see how the DM came by this story...what are the sources?

Its one thing to say that Andrew, Laurent and/or Fred are lazy. I disagree to an extent but I agree that there are positive and negative points that would give off a good debate. But Beatrice and Eugenie? Its too soon to say.

Now if Eugenie and Beatrice are 25/27 and are finished with school, working or not working real jobs, or not peforming any duties AT ALL and still hanging out...than its a fair statement to say that they are lazy royals.

Last edited:
Ok, now I get it. And I agree, it might be too soon to say if Eugenie and Beatrice are lazy. But they do need to improve their image with the public.

Agree with you fully Zonk. I think it's too soon to entirely judge some of the younger Royals (those in full time education etc). If when they've finished with their education & they still haven't either got a full time "normal" job or aren't doing royal duties of any sort then yeah judge them then but right now when effectively they are busy being a student (which includes all the social aspects in my opinion, part of being a student is having the freedom/opportunity to meet new people, hang out, party a little - hopefully not too much! - while also obtaining your qualifications) I think it's a little harsh.

Also you perhaps could argue that some of the younger Royals effectively aren't needed for royal duties just yet as there are still many of the older generations perfectly willing & able to perform more than enough to allow the younger royals more time as non-working royals. So saying that by so&so's age Charles, Anne, Andrew etc had done this, this & that is maybe not the best comparison, times have changed, circumstances have changed & the way the royals are brought up into adulthood & working life has changed.

I would agree. Its worth noting that the youngest person to join the BRF in full time royal duties I believe was Princess Alexandra of Kent. She started fairly young around 18 to 21 and she attended finishing school but that was about it. At that time the BRF had the Queen, DoE, the Queen Mother, Princess Margaret, the Gloucesters (the late Henry and Alice) and Marina, Duchess of Kent. So there was a shortage of people. The BRF today has about a good 15 to 20 people..to handle the engagements.

Of course this is changing now as a large percentage of duties are being done by people in their mid fifties and up (Anne, Andrew, Charles, the Queen and DoE, the Duke of Kent, Duke and Duchess of Gloucester and Princess Alexandra.). At some point, the younger generation will have to step it up to prove their worth.

Why should Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugene step up? They will become a part of the extended royal family after Prince Charles downsizes. I believe both ladies should fully concentrate on their careers and carry occasional engagements.

I said younger generation. I did not specify Beatrice and Eugenie. At some point, William, Harry and Kate are going to need to step it up.

But its worth noting that the royals that I did mention average about 1000 plus engagements a year. Who are going to do those engagements? The reality/television/movie star of the moment who is hot for about 15 minutes? Charles, Camilla, Harry, William and Kate? They can't do all of those by themselves. Charles and/or William will need some assistance from Anne, Edward, Sophie, Andrew and Harry's wife. And possibly Beatrice and Eugenie. Even if they only do a 100 a year that would be helpful.

And for all this talk of Charles downsizing the monarchy, Charles isn't going to downaize the BRF.. Natural life will do that. The HRH and responsibliites of the Gloucesters and Kents will die with them. As they will with Beatrice and Eugenie. Beatrice and Eugenie will most likely pick up some of the slack from the Gloucesters and Kents.

But that's the topic of another thread.

Last edited:
But if they stop step up in the future how will they going to justify their cost. They have full time security with them. They don't have jobs, so Andrew must pay for their education and well being, as well as clothes (expensive ones that is). So after they are done with college they should either start working as royals or get a job that pays the bills. Otherwise they will be nothing but free loaders.

:previous: But who is the laziest royal now?

:previous:
It would serve them much better to find well-paying jobs with very occasional official engagements.

:previous: But who is the laziest royal now?

I don't know...
My first thought was Beatrice and Eugenie, but I agree with you, is too soon to tell.
Again, I'm talking about the British Royal family.
I know Andrew works a lot, despite the rumors
Edward and Sophie I don't see them as much in the media, But I don't think they are lazy.
Anne does a lot of work to help children
Zara has a carrer of her own
Peter, I don't know much about him, so I can't say he's lazy. I guess he must have a job aswell...
Who do you think is the laziest?

I don't think there is anyone in the BRF who is lazy. Peter and Zara are private individuals hence the lack of royal duties. Their grandmother just happens to be Queen.

Without a doubt the Queen, the DoE, Charles and Anne pull their weight IMO.

I think Edward and Sophie don't get the credit that deserve. Along with the Gloucesters. Andrew ....on the fence about him. I think he does good work, has bad judgement, and is forever tied to Fergie...hence the bad press. Same with their daughters.

Honestly, I think Camilla doesn't do enough engagements. But I wouldn't call her lazy. She is making a late adjustment in life from private individual who really never worked outside of the home to a member of the BRF with all the expectations, glory and nastiness from the press and the public. But she isn't lazy.

I like Prince Andrew, despide not being a big fan of his daughters and of course, his ex-wife. He's not perfect and has made some mistakes, I do agree that his assossiation with Fergie brings him a lot of unfair bad press.
And I think he works hard.

... [snipped] Honestly, I think Camilla doesn't do enough engagements. But I wouldn't call her lazy. She is making a late adjustment in life from private individual who really never worked outside of the home to a member of the BRF with all the expectations, glory and nastiness from the press and the public. But she isn't lazy.
How long would it take to make the adjustments? It has been my understanding that Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, may have health issues. She has got fewer public appearances. Do the British miss her much? Furthermore, Prince Charles has means to provide for his current wife. She can sit at home.

Wow..I wouldn't describe ANY of them as "lazy". I cannot imagine having to go out and put on your GAME face constantly no matter if you felt ill, or cranky etc.

I haven't heard rumblings that any of the members of "The Firm" have ever out and out refused to do their duty in favor of a night in front of the telly with a snack.;)

Even the ones I don't particularly care for seem very conscientous to me!

If we were to compare the current group of adult heirs to the throne it appears that CP Frederik has the easiest schedule. (The Crown Princes of Morocco and Jordan are still too young to be included with the others.)

They have an equally good excuse...they are in university. As previously pointed out by iluvbertie in a couple of the Beatrice/Eugenie threads....both Harry and William were not expected to perform royal engagements at the age that Beatrice and Eugenie are now. Beatrice and Eugenie show up at the "big events" but that is about it.

I agree, they are both busy with school. Like William when he was at St. Andrews it has been expected she not be busy with royal activities. She will graduate this year from University with a degree in history. But she has been involved in a number of children's charities, with her mother. She visited AIDS kids in Russia, the cancer trust, and also a long time volunteer with Springboard for kids, a charity to help kids with learning disabilities. She is the first royal to complete the London marathon, raising money for charity. She even has some work experience, she spent a summer working at Selfridge's, and was involved on the set of 'Young Victoria'. She has said when she is done school she would like to start a fashion line, but would also like to continue to work with children's charities. I could see her perhaps working with Kate, on some of the kids' charities that Kate and Will are donating too for their wedding. But I'd like to see her pursue a career, like Peter and Zara, and help out in charities on the side.

Princess Eugenie's plans are a bit less clear, but then again she is only 21. She is studying for a BA in politics, english and art history at Newcastle University. Like her sister she takes part in major royal events, like representing their dad at the thanksgiving for Diana. For now her only other engagements have been in conjunction with her mother, which is pretty customary for someone at this age in the BRF. Like her sister I can see her having a career, with royal duties on the side, in what it isn't clear.

Last edited:
Great post and update on the two princesses, PrincessMolly, thank you.

Im not going to say Marie Chantel is lazy but,even though the greek monarchy does not exist,she should be gratefull for the title as a crown princess.She should do what other CPs do and do more charity work as much as them.

Prince Carl-Phillip: no official duties (as far I see) but only busy with his current gilfriend and car races.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom