Who has The Least Public / Official Engagements?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What about the belgian Crownprince Philippe? It seems his wife works harder dan he does..

RoyalProtocol said:
If By Queen Elizabeth Your mean Elizabeth II I think you need to visit the following website http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page3952.asp and see how many engagement Her Majesty carries out Please remember that she is Almost 80.

she does work very hard. her workload is even more amazing considering her age. if she did only one or two engagements a month i still would be very impressed. most 80 year olds are retired and enjoying a leisurely lifestyle.

its amazing that she summons the energy for all those engagements. i guess she's inherited her mothers DNA.

Duchess of Cornwall, imo. She is married for an year, and I don't see her working in anything.

Princess Madeleine of Sweden

Queen Beatrix's sons

Regina said:
Duchess of Cornwall, imo. She is married for an year, and I don't see her working in anything.

Princess Madeleine of Sweden

Queen Beatrix's sons

i think madeleine does a fair amount of royal work for a student and someone who is destined to leave the royal family when she marries. she has a special bond with her duchy which i think is cool.

Support the Queen

pollyemma said:
she does work very hard. her workload is even more amazing considering her age. if she did only one or two engagements a month i still would be very impressed. most 80 year olds are retired and enjoying a leisurely lifestyle.

its amazing that she summons the energy for all those engagements. i guess she's inherited her mothers DNA.
:)
Her Majesty does indeed work very hard and I would like to urge everyone who agrees to support HM, whenever possibe turn up to Royal Engagements in your area, (you can check on http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page3950.asp ), write positive letters to the press saying how hard the Queen works and write to HM The Queen herself thanking her for her devotion to duty and service, now that her 80th Birthday is approaching you have a perfect excuse to write to Her Majesty. (Remember to start your Letter "May It Please Your Majesty" and end with "I have the honour to remain, Madam, Your Majesty's humble and obedient subject, signature"), and send it to:
Her Majesty The Queen,
Buckingham Palace,
London,
SW1A 1AA,
United Kingdom.

Regina said:
Really? I'd suggest you have a look at the Charles & Camilla Current Events thread. You may be surprised.

I think Mette-marit is mostly at home, but that does'nt makes her lazy.
I think it is true that Mathilde has more engagements than Philipe.. I don't think he is lazy either.
I think it also depends on what you are doing, for example; mary visits many fashionshows and Mathilde makes a trip to tanzania... See there is a difference in the work you are doing..!
I personaly think; going to fashionshows is not really working...
One person I think is really NOT lazy; is Letizia. She works a lot, and it is serious work!

There's a lot that the monarchy is involved in that doesn't reach the press.

When the monarch prepares the heir for the throne there are State Council meetings and a lot of one on one consultations that are meant to be private. If these were more well-known, people would start complaining that they are getting too involved in government.

The heirs and their wives have to walk a fine line. I imagine Philippe is lying low right now because some in the government want to take what little power the King has left. Their lack of action is often more about the politics in the country than being lazy.

Also, big charity events for important causes can sometimes be risky. Fred and Mary hosted a rock concert run by Save the Children, a very worthy foundation. As a public relations event, it was a success but the charity ended up losing money.The foundation had to pull money from its other ventures to pay for the concert.

With that experience, I don't think Mary or Fred are going to chair any high profile charity events for awhile. It simply is too risky for the charities.

Yes, the charities want some press exposure from their royal patrons but the charities don't need a Princess Diana to be successful. Successful fundraising is mostly about getting the attention from the right people and not necessarily from the public at large. So a patronage that doesn't provide a lot of press coverage can benefit the charity if a royal patronage can bring in the big money contributors.

Royal Fan said:
Three words : Duke of York.

totally agree, no top tiered royal in the whole world does less than him. jmo

ysbel said:
Their lack of action is often more about the politics in the country than being lazy.

That is just generally a very good point. There are often political reasons behind royals' actions (or lack of actions) that the general public is not aware of.

RoyalFan said:
Three words : Duke of York
From the British Royal Family website

"In 2005 His Royal Highness carried out some 535 engagements in the UK and overseas." (my bolding :))

Edward, Earl of Wessex in my opinion.

Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain has worked tirelessly since the late 1940's when she was the then Princess Elizabeth and have often been accused of putting duty before motherhood because she worked so hard. Either way she can't win!

I think the laziest woman in royal families is Letizia.
Also Mette Marit doesn't do much activity except than she is pregnant the whole time!!!

Not that I'm a big fan of Queen Beatrix's sons, but both Johan Friso and Constantijn have jobs. Plus JF doesn't belong anymore to the royal family, so he doesn't have to do official engagements.
There was on a royalty show called 'Royalty' in which they talked about the funds or money that the belgian royal family receive and if it would be better for Laurent and Astrid (even Philip) to have jobs like the Dutch Royal Family.

i think the reason is why the press pick on HRH duke of york is that he has no wife for them to photograph ( female royals get far more coverage in the press for the simple reason a nice dress and jewellry is far more exiting than a grey suit). he works tirelessly for his charities and organisations for which he gets no credit, so what, if he likes golf and plays a few times a week, he dosen't drink or smoke and as far as we know has no vices. i sincerley hope HM the queen gives him the garter very soon.

MOLEY said:
i think the reason is why the press pick on HRH duke of york is that he has no wife for them to photograph ( female royals get far more coverage in the press for the simple reason a nice dress and jewellry is far more exiting than a grey suit). he works tirelessly for his charities and organisations for which he gets no credit, so what, if he likes golf and plays a few times a week, he dosen't drink or smoke and as far as we know has no vices. i sincerley hope HM the queen gives him the garter very soon.

Moley, I TOTALLY agree with you!

I think Ernst August of Hannover seems to be pretty lazy. We also have to take into consideration that most of the monarchies now are constitutional therefore they are just meant to be head of state in social functions. Great Britain for example would be one. Although Queen Elizabeth II is a hard working woman.

Iwona said:
She has the most number of engagements of all crown princesses since her marriage, and she's back after three months of giving birth. Her not having her own agenda yet does not make her lazy.

Iwona said:
Also Mette Marit doesn't do much activity except than she is pregnant the whole time!!!

??? :confused:
Letizia lazy? That lady's pregnancy was the closest thing she has seen as a vacation from work. As a reporter and as a royal she seems to be one of the most work obsessed persons.

On Mette Marit, I assume the reason why they are rushing with a family is their own age, they are not young fresh out of college kids. This generation of Royals, like many people today, decided to marry and start a famlily later in their lives. It would be safer for her to have the children now than when she is past her 40's.

Now, on the Laziest Royal, as a comment-within-a-joke my pick is the King of Suaziland for spending too much time getting married to under age virgins than writting a Constitution that would save the institution of monarchy in his country. :)

Last edited:
crisiñaki said:
....Princess Madeleine of Sweden
Oh c'mon give her a break. She is only just out of her teens. How many youths do you see undertaking serious duties. Let the girl live a little. It's not like she is heir to the throne anyway.

Lil princess lost said:
Oh c'mon give her a break. She is only just out of her teens. How many youths do you see undertaking serious duties. Let the girl live a little. It's not like she is heir to the throne anyway.

I agree with you. Princess Madeleine is only 23, third in line to the throne, and currently working at UNICEF in NYC. It would be quite hard for her to also do duties in Sweden. :D Before UNICEF she was a full-time university student. The amount of work she actually does is decent because she's so young and not the heir to the throne. If Victoria was like this, then I would be worried. There really aren't/weren't any royals who were 23 and not the heir who did more official work than Madeleine. She still manages to show up at Victoria's Official Birthday every year, National Day, Nobel (sometimes :D), does one or two duchy visits, tags along with her mother/father, events for My Big Day, State Visit dinners amongst other things. I'd actually say for so young a person she handles her duties very well.

To graduate "gymnasiet" highschool and university with top grades is hard work. Madeleing should be commended for her education considering many rich kids choose to be lazy, spending their time travelling and partying.

Marie-Chantal, but I suppose since she's not a reigning royal, she might not qualify for this thread...

politikgirl said:
Marie-Chantal, but I suppose since she's not a reigning royal, she might not qualify for this thread...

I'm afraid she won't since the Royals we've seem to refer about are the ones who have the official duties on established monarchies.

pollyemma said:
That is just generally a very good point. There are often political reasons behind royals' actions (or lack of actions) that the general public is not aware of.

I agree with this point to a certain extent. I also feel that Royals are in a unique position to do a lot of good in this world if they are so inclined. There are charities and causes (non-political) that could probably use the media attention that a royal could bring.

Iwona said:

For LETIZIA, I don't understand this opinion, she is the most busiest Princess with more 200 official acts by year. Please have a look on her agenda since the 31th of january, I don't think that she sleep very much, what a fun !!!

Lalla Salma just hasn't lived up to expectations. I expected her to be like her sisters-in-law but she's been a big disappointment and rarely carried out any royal duties.

Prince Frederick is also a disappointment, considering he's heir to the throne he doesn't seem particularly active.

adelaide said:
For LETIZIA, I don't understand this opinion, she is the most busiest Princess with more 200 official acts by year. Please have a look on her agenda since the 31th of january, I don't think that she sleep very much, what a fun !!!

but all she does is stand next to her husband and smile(or scowl sometimes) what kind of work is that?

pollyemma said:
but all she does is stand next to her husband and smile(or scowl sometimes) what kind of work is that?

But if that's all she's permitted to do it's better than nothing. She could just as easily stay at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom