Who has The Least Public / Official Engagements?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, it is only what we pervceive a royal does, that makes us assume if someone is lazy or not, also on forums a lot depends how biased a person is towards the person that is being discussed.

I could say that Mette-Marit is lazy since their holiday last year I can only remember seeing her about three times, if this is correct number of times she has attended an event I am not sure. Some say she is studying, however I know any number of people that are studying part time or at night and don't have the help she has and still managers to do a full time job.

Is she lazy? How would I know, how would I or any one know if somone is lazy.

Why does she need to provide another source...is the Examiner considered a tabloid?

The Examiner is not a swedish source, and as long as the author keeps making mistakes she could have easily avoided (also in articles on other royal families), and as long as she doesn't speak swedish, I am taking it with a grain of salt. :)

I think Fred does need to care about how he is perceived, even if it's in an opinion based forum. (maybe they are the best gauge of public opinion, honest, and somewhat unsensored). His lifestyle is payed for by the Danish taxpayer - therefore, he needs to look ernest, useful and engaged. Fred has charm, no doubt about that, he seems to get a lot of mileage from that. Perhaps the public's feelings of warmth and affection towards Fred is partly derived from that. I doubt it's because he is very hard working, IMO, he is not. (and he could attend an official event every day and still be PERCEIVED as indolent). Fred would I think, choose a sailing trip over a more serious engagement. Just my perception.

Considering that Fred has an approval rate of around 80% or more for years now, I don't think he has to care about how he is perceived at this forum or any other.
Obviously, the people that matter (the Danes) think it is fine the way it is.

Considering that Fred has an approval rate of around 80% or more for years now, I don't think he has to care about how he is perceived at this forum or any other.
Obviously, the people that matter (the Danes) think it is fine the way it is.

No I suppose it's much better to wait until people realize their CP (not royal) is the laziest of all and IF his approval rating drops to actually do something.

The majority of Danes are also probably not people that follow royalty so they don't really know what Frederik gets up to. I would attribute his high approval rating to the fact that he was always quite popular as a result of his stint in the military, his marriage and his down to earth aways. But when you examine his work ethic in the past few years it is very lacking. The majority of his "duties" are attending a sporting event....watching it and then leaving. If you do not believe me then please, go ahead and examine his calender. Compare his calender and events on it to that of all the other heirs. You will see a big difference.

I do know his calendar, and the majority of his events are not attending sporting events.

Basically you are saying that Danes don't care about Fred or the DRF enough to see what he is doing?

Don't twist my words. I clearly wrote that the majority of Danes are not ROYAL WATCHERS. As in they do not log onto forums to keep an eye on what he is doing daily. I think it's obvious most Danes do not take a great interest in the royal family these days. Especially the younger generation because it simply isn't "cool".

That's funny because if I recall aside from his overseas visits the majority if not all of his solo duties are related to sports. Even his recent trip to Paris had to do with sports, and he even fit in watching a tennis match. Now I see nothing wrong with that but that's all of his solo duties for the past year or two (again I did awknowledge that he did a number of overseas visits that is work a CP should be doing, he should be doing more of these types of work especially at home in Denmark like other heirs).

Don't twist my words. I clearly wrote that the majority of Danes are not ROYAL WATCHERS. As in they do not log onto forums to keep an eye on what he is doing daily. I think it's obvious most Danes do not take a great interest in the royal family these days. Especially the younger generation because it simply isn't "cool".

Just wondering how you want to know that most Danes are not Royal Watchers? Because they are not what you define as a Royal Watcher?
How is it obvious that most Danes do not take a great interest in the DRF? Especially considering that you are in Canada? How do you know what young Danes think is cool?

That's funny because if I recall aside from his overseas visits the majority if not all of his solo duties are related to sports. Even his recent trip to Paris had to do with sports, and he even fit in watching a tennis match. Now I see nothing wrong with that but that's all of his solo duties for the past year or two (again I did awknowledge that he did a number of overseas visits that is work a CP should be doing, he should be doing more of these types of work especially at home in Denmark like other heirs).

The majority if not all? You must have seen a different calendar:

Kongehuset - Aktuelt - Kalender - Afholdte begivenheder

Because I have friends and RELATIVES within Denmark and NONE of them care about the DRF to the point that they observe what they do or visit forums about them. They like the royals but they do not consider them something interesting or something they will follow and read about everyday. When something like a birth in the DRF happens they are happy but life goes on. The DRF are there in the background and not something that most people really notice. It's also pretty clear considering we don't exactly live in the 1900's. The monarchy simply doesn't appeal to the majority of the younger generation.

There is no point arguing with you because obviously nothing any member of the DRF does is wrong to you. I have no issue with that because you can have whatever opinion you want to have and I will have mine.

P.S I also clearly stated that I HAVE noticed that for the past month and as of this month Frederik has had more duties and many serious overseas duties. I awknowledge that and I hope he keeps this up. I am saying that BEFORE for the past year or so most of his solo duties (without his wife or rest of the family) his events have been sports related.

I do not hate or dislike the DRF or Frederik. I just have an issue with Frederik's work ethic.

Last edited:
No I suppose it's much better to wait until people realize their CP (not royal) is the laziest of all and IF his approval rating drops to actually do something.

The majority of Danes are also probably not people that follow royalty so they don't really know what Frederik gets up to. I would attribute his high approval rating to the fact that he was always quite popular as a result of his stint in the military, his marriage and his down to earth aways.
Now, that's ridiculous.
The Danes don't know what their crown prince does?
But you do?

Fact is Frederik gets high approval ratings from the Danes since years and none of your posts will change that.

And I don't quite see why opening a sport event and promoting sport and healthy lifestyle is considered as "not working". IMO it's as important as opening an art event and promoting culture (which is what Queen Margrethe mostly does).

Last edited:
Oh God...is it truly that hard to understand what I am saying?

Do you honestly believe that EVERY single Dane in Denmark checks or even cares about what the Crown Prince does? Do you think that literally every Dane sits at their computer and checks royal forums or the official DRF website to see what the Crown Prince is doing? THAT is what I mean. There simply isn't that much of an interest these days in royalty especially in the younger generation. If you do not believe me then go talk to your average 20 or so year old Dane on the street, they will obviously know who CP Frederik is but I doubt they will have a good idea of what he does day to day (his work). Royalty simply isn't a big aspect of peoples lives these days.

Ok sorry my bad. I just checked the DRF calender for the months I talked about (before May 2011, since I have to be very specific) and he did 2 sporting events during the month of April and he watched 2 films. That was his "work". I wish I could show up to work for 2 or 3 hours and watch a movie or a sport event. :/

Now let's go to March, shall we? He went to a curling match and attended a sculpture by the sea reception. I suppose I shouldn't count these months though because he has newborns so you will just argue that his workload is like that because of that fact.

So let's go to May 2010...he went sailing in the Fyn Cup, he rode a horse in a non-hunt, he went to an ISAF (sailing) conference, went to a concert for the Danish Royal Lifeguards, and handed out some money. Nice. Compare that to whatever the other heirs are doing. I can keep going but I don't see a point since you will just respond with the usual of how Frederik really is truly very busy.

I wouldn't consider these events as "not working" if it wasn't all he did. I already stated that lately (since May) he has been doing a lot more work and duties that are befitting of his position. I HOPE he keeps that up. I like him as a person, I really do believe that he is a very warm, down to earth and nice person but as a CP...he could be doing a lot more and he should be considering his great position in life.

Because I have friends and RELATIVES within Denmark and NONE of them care about the DRF to the point that they observe what they do or visit forums about them. They like the royals but they do not consider them something interesting or something they will follow and read about everyday. When something like a birth in the DRF happens they are happy but life goes on. The DRF are there in the background and not something that most people really notice. It's also pretty clear considering we don't exactly live in the 1900's. The monarchy simply doesn't appeal to the majority of the younger generation.
If the Danes don't observe or notice their royals why should they work more.:) (just kidding)
Actually I don't agree with you. The DRF is certainly noticed. And it's my impression that the Danes, even the younger ones, care quite a lot for their monarchy.
The average Dane may not watch the royal calendar but the media certainly does. And whenever they think the royals don't work enough for the money they get they will say so. And the average Dane can see the royals on TV quite often and read about them in newspapers and mags. And meet them in real life. They don't need messageboards to get informations.

Fair enough :) I don't want to keep arguing. Like I said I like both Frederik and Mary so I am not out to bash them which I was doing to Frederik there but it's my opinion.

Just wondering how you want to know that most Danes are not Royal Watchers? Because they are not what you define as a Royal Watcher?
How is it obvious that most Danes do not take a great interest in the DRF? Especially considering that you are in Canada? How do you know what young Danes think is cool?

The majority if not all? You must have seen a different calendar:

Kongehuset - Aktuelt - Kalender - Afholdte begivenheder

Actually from what I see in this calender...Fred's diary is indeed not very busy...hopefully this is the case because he is on paternity leave due to the birth of his twins which could be an excuse...but I am not sure...

Oh that's actually an improvement from his usual workload. Lately (since May) he's been doing quite more than before. But his calender before that and in 2010 is scary for a future king. I suppose it doesn't matter tho.

Oh that's actually an improvement from his usual workload. Lately (since May) he's been doing quite more than before. But his calender before that and in 2010 is scary for a future king. I suppose it doesn't matter tho.

This is scary indeed. And some of his engagements are sports related - that is true. Don't get me wrong...there is nothing wrong about it and I am sure he is doing a good job there (hopefully) but I would expect a little more from a future king than to be mostly engaged in sports events...

That is what I have been saying for the past 2 pages. Even if you go back to 2010 and some of 2009 the majority of his duties are sports related. Again...nothing wrong but there has to be balance between what his interest is (sports) and actual duties that a future king should be doing.

Stop. Who cares who does what. None of them do anything of importance. Frederick is a sportsman and, Danes, admire that. Charles is a pedantic fop, who has a retinue who do his little petty bidding for him and gives speeches on things he believes in. He is an organic gardener, although, I don't think he plows fields or, atcually, soils his hands. They have a life set above having to, actually, earn a living, so they do what pleases them. Frederick is far more fun than Charles, I believe.

Ok sorry my bad. I just checked the DRF calender for the months I talked about (before May 2011, since I have to be very specific).
So let's go to May 2010...he went sailing in the Fyn Cup, he rode a horse in a non-hunt, he went to an ISAF (sailing) conference, went to a concert for the Danish Royal Lifeguards, and handed out some money. Nice. Compare that to whatever the other heirs are doing.
I wouldn't consider these events as "not working" if it wasn't all he did.
Then be specific. Your details are wrong. Neither the sailing nor the non-hunt nor the ISAF conference are listed in the official calendar May 2010. I guess you mention them to prove that sport events is all he does. But actually none of the official engagements in May 2010 was sport related. Neither in January nor in March, April, May, June, August, September, October, November or December 2010 was "the majority if not all" of Frederik's official engagements sport-related, as you insist. Sport and healthy lifestyle is one of his focus areas but there actually is a balance.

And again, there is no point in comparing Frederik with heirs of other countries. Compared with other monarchs Queen Margrethe's agenda is empty, compared with other crown princesses Mary's agenda is empty.
The DRF has to do things according to their (small) country and people (5.4 mill.). In the last 7 years DK usually had 1 incoming state visit per year (only in 2007 there were 2). Compare that with other countries.
And I have often heard that in Denmark there is actually a greater danger of people having a royal overkill than of the royals being accused of not working enough.

Last edited:
I haven't seen Mette-Marit around much this year. :whistling:

Then be specific. Your details are wrong. Neither the sailing nor the non-hunt nor the ISAF conference are listed in the official calendar May 2010. I guess you mention them to prove that sport events is all he does. But actually none of the official engagements in May 2010 was sport related. Neither in January nor in March, April, May, June, August, September, October, November or December 2010 was "the majority if not all" of Frederik's official engagements sport-related, as you insist. Sport and healthy lifestyle is one of his focus areas but there actually is a balance.

And again, there is no point in comparing Frederik with heirs of other countries. Compared with other monarchs Queen Margrethe's agenda is empty, compared with other crown princesses Mary's agenda is empty.
The DRF has to do things according to their (small) country and people (5.4 mill.). In the last 7 years DK usually had 1 incoming state visit per year (only in 2007 there were 2). Compare that with other countries.
And I have often heard that in Denmark there is actually a greater danger of people having a royal overkill than of the royals being accused of not working enough.

If you say so. I don't want to waste anymore time arguing with someone that can't even see the obvious because of their tunnel-vision. You cannot be serious in saying that CP Frederik is actually hardworking....I mean honestly. His name has come up in this thread more than once and it appears that as soon as it does you and another individual bash whoever brought it up. I don't consider it balance if I look at this calender on any given month and see 4 or 5 (on a good month) sporting events as "work" and 1 event where he shows up and hands out a check or watches a play.

Anyways. I am sure CP Frederik is utterly exhausted from all his hard work.

That is what I have been saying for the past 2 pages. Even if you go back to 2010 and some of 2009 the majority of his duties are sports related. Again...nothing wrong but there has to be balance between what his interest is (sports) and actual duties that a future king should be doing.

I agree with your statements regarding CP Frederik. IMO it would be best if his preparation for his future role was a more balanced one with more of an emphasis upon diplomacy, the military, trade, and less on sports. Let's hope with an increased number of duties in his calendar that we'll see greater variety to help prepare him for the future.

The laziest crown prince: Frederick of Denmark, and the laziest crown princess, Mette-Marit.

If you say so. I don't want to waste anymore time arguing with someone that can't even see the obvious because of their tunnel-vision. You cannot be serious in saying that CP Frederik is actually hardworking....I mean honestly. His name has come up in this thread more than once and it appears that as soon as it does you and another individual bash whoever brought it up. I don't consider it balance if I look at this calender on any given month and see 4 or 5 (on a good month) sporting events as "work" and 1 event where he shows up and hands out a check or watches a play.
I actually never said he is hard working. I said he works according to what is normal in the DRF.
I don't bash you, I am contradicting you. I am checking facts and I don't see what you claim to see.
But yes, let's stop arguing.

I'm not trying to change anyone's perception of which royal is 'lazy' or not. My personal opinion is that the idea of who is 'lazy' is mostly formed by other factors.

But when reading all these opinions about Frederik's interest in sports and sports related activities, I think it's a pity that the discussion does not touch upon the recognition which Frederik's interest has also gained in Denmark. Frederik has visited a number of schools - also in Greenland - which have initiated new measures to make young people aware of the importance of exercise, also as a means to fight the ever-growing problem of obesity. Frederik seems to be making himself a niche as a sort of 'spokesperson' for the endeavour to fight obesity amongst children by means of more daily exercise. This may seem trivial to some, to me it's not - and perhaps Frederik's focus is of more 'measureable' benefit to more Danes than the queen's focus on art and handicrafts?
The Danes have not minded Queen Margrethe's interest in attending church ceremonies to see her own personal handicraft for churches of bishops revealed; attending lots of painting exhibitions of her own and other's paintings. That's her area of interest and of course she should be allowed to pursue it. But the sporting world, professional and amateur, have never enjoyed royal patronage in any form before and it's great that it does now - not least because the attention Frederik brings to this area extends to public health - the declining amount of exercise for children in schools and obesity.
And it is not like Frederik has abandoned the art world ín favour of sport; he and Mary have both shown lots of interest in modern art, most recently in the Sculpture by the Sea exhibition which they have been credited for bringing to Denmark. With Frederik we will just not get a regent whose main interest is the art world.

Is the royal calendar a truthful indicator for what a royal really does? As I recall, Frederik's visits to the Danish troops in the Helmand province, for example, have never appeared in the calendar - nor did his recent visit this spring with his mother. Did their joint recent visit to Greenland appear there? Just seems to me that we can read about royal activities in the magazines here which do not appear in the official calender.

Looking at the calender and Frederik's appearances the last month or so I'd say he's been fairly busy.
That is, after what is considered normal in Denmark.
As one of you pointed out, DK is a small country with 5.4 million inhabitants, if the DRF is too often in the news, they "devaluate" themselves so to speak.

Frederik has stepped up his public appearances lately and he is also seen dealing with much more varied topics. That's great, that's what I like to see and I hope he will continue on this level. I find there is every reason that he should.
I, and I think most Danes, would find it perfectly acceptable if QMII, considering her age, went on semi-retirement, just like Prince Henrik.
In that respect it's natural for Frederik and Mary (few critizise her workload though) to take over more and more. That's what I see happening in these years, a gradual but clear transition.

As for his focus on sports. Well, in Frederik's defence I'd say it goes a little wider than this. The point is to encourage and put awareness on the importance on physical activity, fighting obecity among children in particular and healthy living. - Admittedly it's sometimes a little unclear what relevance racing with an expensive boat has to ordinary people. Running and biking has however.
The problem with Frederik and sports however, is that his message hasn't hit through yet. Everybody knows what he stands for in that respect, it just hasn't hit the headlines in the same way as Mary's anti-bullying and beware of the sun campaign. That's a PR problem and that's perhaps Frederik's main problem.
Just as Mary initially was critizised for focusing too much on fashion (actually a very important export) Frederik has probably concentrated too much on his favourite field, sports and physical activity.
Because in this day an age it is important for royals to be seen out and about. We'll see.

I think its all about expectation. If the Danes are happy with Frederik with all his strenghts and weaknesses than fine. It remains to be seen whether the Danes are still happy with Frederiks attitude as monarch where he has to step up a few gears.

What I want to say is that "working hard" doesnt guarantee survival of the institution. It has a lot to do with charisma and individual perception.

While eg Felipe of Spain is considered as "hardworking", Spain is one of the countries that is closer to a republic than others, such as Denmark. And while Felipe is seen by many as "overprepared" in terms of education etc he is still being perceived as boring, lacking charisma or personality and only being good at taking directions whereever they are coming from. A possibly overshadowing wife is a big no-no in spanish attitude.

Frederik in contrast is much liked by the Danes probably because of being "imperfect" but with a folksy attitude bonding with the public, plus with a wife who is welcome to overshadow and publicly help him to overcome his deficites.

Therefore comparisons always have to be seen with the local background. What works in one country, could be counterproductive in another.

While eg Felipe of Spain is considered as "hardworking", Spain is one of the countries that is closer to a republic than others, such as Denmark. And while Felipe is seen by many as "overprepared" in terms of education etc he is still being perceived as boring, lacking charisma or personality and only being good at taking directions whereever they are coming from. A possibly overshadowing wife is a big no-no in spanish attitude.

Felipe is not his father in terms of Charisma (although I think Charisma is very subjective), but who is (any other CP is ? LOL) if the media was putting JC on the same level as Clinton or Obama ? Felipe's approval rating is higher than 80%, about 86% surveyed in May said he would be ready to be King. If not because of his 'hard work', I doubt he would be as appreciated as he is now.
I don't think the Danes wouldn't like a handsome, well spoken and actively working CP.

Felipe is not his father in terms of Charisma (although I think Charisma is very subjective), but who is (any other CP is ? LOL) if the media was putting JC on the same level as Clinton or Obama ? Felipe's approval rating is higher than 80%, about 86% surveyed in May said he would be ready to be King. If not because of his 'hard work', I doubt he would be as appreciated as he is now.
I don't think the Danes wouldn't like a handsome, well spoken and actively working CP.

The Danes like Frederik the same as the Spaniards like Felipe. There is no significant difference in the approval ratings.

Nevertheless the talk of becoming a republic is much louder in Spain than in Denmark meaning that its not all down to the CP being perceived as working "hard" or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom