Who has The Least Public / Official Engagements?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Charles has 20 extra years on Frederik. Both age and experience wise. Frederik does his due I think as does every other heir and their spouse.

This is a pretty tenuous argument in my opinion. Frederick is not in his early twenties, he's been a 'full time' royal for many years now. The fact that he's a good bit younger than Charles surely suggests that he should be more active, not less?

I know the Danish RF don't operate under anything like the same public scrutiny as the BRF but Charles wouldn't have got away with doing so little when he was in his forties.

That's your argument? That he likes to watch sports games so that makes him a bad person?
You see almost every royal CP watch a few sports games, they all travel to the Olympics, football matches in their countries, they often fly over to other countries for big games like last weeks Barcelona v Manchester Utd when Prince Felipe went over to wembley to watch the match. They can pass it off as supporting their country, or turn it into an official role like Prince William has but they all enjoy watching sports. You can't pinpoint one man for something almost every royal family does.

Where did I say he was a bad person (did you read my posts ?) ? Even 'lazy' is not equivalent to be 'bad'. I mentioned watching games or attending sports related events because you misinterpreted my original post as 'playing sports'. Sorry, I don't consider watching sports game 'working' even for royals. Felipe's attendance was only added to his agenda after Barcelona made it to the final.
Anyway, my point was that the last few years Frederick's agenda looked rather 'empty' compared to some other CPs, of course it didn't mean he absolutely did nothing.

This is a pretty tenuous argument in my opinion. Frederick is not in his early twenties, he's been a 'full time' royal for many years now. The fact that he's a good bit younger than Charles surely suggests that he should be more active, not less?

I know the Danish RF don't operate under anything like the same public scrutiny as the BRF but Charles wouldn't have got away with doing so little when he was in his forties.

Exactly. 40s is the prime, not 60s.

Last edited:
Back on Topic, In my very humble opinion, Princess Margaret when alive certainly qualified as 'lazy' in some respects. She had a repeated history of rushing through enagements well ahead of schedule and leaving early. I had personal experience of this on more than one occasion.

Please may I be permitted to give a little information by way of background? I used to attend royal occasions quite regularly and know that usual schedules for the BRF at engagements are timed to the minute: for example, if a Royal is to visit a hospital, the time of arrival might be 11.00am; the schedule will then read (for example) '11.03am Received by the Chief Executive' 11.07. Unveil Plaque. 11.13am 'Proceed to new Spring Dale ward' etc etc.

Although Royal Aides and Ladies in Waiting do their best to keep the 'Royal' 'on Schedule', sometimes things don't always go to plan: for example, when the Duchess of Kent [when she undertook Royal duties] paid a visit to Helen House [a Children's hospice], she stayed at some bedsides for as long as she considered necessary, which meant that she fell behind her schedule [and for reasons that everyone understood, as she 'got later and later']. As she later explained when she was late at her next appointment ' Please forgive me, but I was doing something that one cannot fit into a schedule'.

Prince Phillip also sometimes fell behind schedule because he found something very intersting and got sidetracked. I watched him visit a factory once; at one stage he made an impromptu forray deep on to the factory floor. [I literally heard the Managing Director groan and say to his Deputy [Oh No! The Duke is not meant to go there - for a start we haven't cleaned it]. Actually Prince Philip was always doing unexpected things at Royal Enagements - at a Reception for Army wives, I once [to my astonishment] saw the Duke pick up a plate of canapes and start handing them round himself!! That certainly wasn't expected.

The point I am making is that Royals of the BRF who perform their duties contscieniously tend to stay until the end of the timetabled visit or even extend it. This to me is actually a good indicator in many cases as to whether a Royal is lazy or not.

Princess Margaret was notorious though for just 'sweeping in and out', often leaving people - and sometimes children - waiting in vain for her to appear: I know of one visit to a primary school where PM had been expected to visit several classes and see a little recital of a nursery rhyme etc - instead she simply swept in and out, well ahead of her timetable.

Princess Alexandra used to be reckonned to be a 'bad timekeeper' in that she tended to get behind engagements, but again, it wasn't because she was lazy but exactly the opposite - i.e. because she was interested. When he was alive, she was often accompanied by Sir Angus ['two-for-the-price-of-one' as my old boss used to say] and one of the consequences of this was that Princess Alexandra often used to stop and discuss things with her husband, thereby lenghtening the engagement. On more than one occasion I heard her say ' Do come and look at this' when Sir Angus was 'working the other side of the room'.

It probably won't surprise people here when I say that the Queen is regarded as the 'best timekeeper' [Nothing fazes her either - I remember that during an Investiture, part of the ceiling suddenly fell down, with a bit of falling plaster unfortunately injuring one one of the family members watching the honours being presented: despite all the chaos, the Queen kept on with 'pinning the medals' and didn' even look up.

Secondly, if there is a long programme for the Royal or perhaps several visits in one day, a [private] break for ''lunch'' may be scheduled, although in practice the purpose is not so much to allow for lengthy refreshment but to give an opportunity to 'catch up' any lost time. In other words, if the Royal is 'running half an hour late' on his/her morning schedule, if there is a lunch break of 50 minutes scheduled, the break can be cut to 20 minutes in practice, enabling the Royal to begin part 2 of the day's Engagments 'on time'. Finally: Bathroom visits are also scheduled; the official 'Royal Term' for this though is 'Opportunity to Tidy'. The real reason for these though is that a visit to the bathroom is rarely necessary [Royals are 'well trained'] but again, it gives a window of opportunity to 'catch up and put the programme back on schedule. A hard working Royal will be glad of such an opportunity; a lazy royal won't actually need this at all.

In view of what I have said above, it probably will not surprise Royal watchers to hear that Princess Margaret rarely undertook engagements where breaks to 'catch up' were needed, simply because she was so 'uninterested' in what she was doing that she simply 'swept in and out'. Princess Margaret was also notorious for cancelling engagements, usually on the pretext that she was 'indisposed' [i.e. ill] only for her to be photographed by tabloids 'out on the town'. There were exceptions to this though - if the engagement was one that the Princess actively enjoyed - e.g a visit to the ballet - she generally fulfilled it. Secondly, if she was fulfilling an enagement for a friend [e.g Jeremy Fry] she generally fulfilled the engagement and stayed the correct time. Otherwise though, it was very much a case of 'hit-and-miss'.

Hope some of this is of interest

Alex

Last edited:
Is Mette Marit still in college?Maybe that's why she's not doing a lot of duties.Plus she has three kids.

Mette Marit has been in school since 2011. And the palace said she's afraid of flying

Princess Tatiana of Greece
Prince Carl Phillip of Sweden

I never used it as an argument. It's a fact that Charles is older and possible wiser than Frederik?

Until someone counts the amount of engagements each CP does - this argument is going to go on forever. I don't see Denmark complaining about Frederik apparantly doing so little.

Princess Tatiana of Greece
Prince Carl Phillip of Sweden

Princess Tatiana is not technically a royal - as her family doesn't rule over anything. She can't represent her country when they don't want her to.

CP Mette Marit. She always find a good excuse (eternal studies, etc etc) to doing nothing for her rank!

Brittish Royals are most expensive in Europe.

The British taxpayers pay a Civil List to two people - the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh.

The rest of the British royal family are supported totally from the private incomes of the Queen and the Prince of Wales (as Duke of Cornwall).

The only income Harry gets from the taxpayers is from his duties as an army officer (and his is thus paid the same as any other full-time serving officer).

Harry parties, like many single officers, when off duty but when on duty he works very hard at training to fly one of the deadliest helicopters in the world.

The BRF also have more than enough royals doing royal duties and have made it clear that Beatrice and Eugenie won't be going that route but will be expected to have their own careers on finished their education and Harry will be a serving officer for decades to come so he won't be doing the royal rounds either - like Andrew who didn't take on full time duties until about 10 years ago. So far, for instance, William is the only one of the Queen's grandchildren to represent her overseas and none of them have attended a state dinner - and the Queen determines when these things happen so that is her decision. She is allowing her grandchildren a lot more time than she allowed her elder two children and more like that amount of time she allowed her younger two children before they had to take up some of the workload left by the Queen Mum and Princess Margaret.

The British royal family is the most expensive of the royal families of Europe, while the Swedish ports in third place among the cheapest.
To see the results in a study by Belgian Professor Herman Matthjis in Brussels has made ​​the cost of Europe's royal families. The British royal family of Queen Elizabeth at the head costs the taxpayers over 450 million per year and is the most expensive in Europe. The next most expensive is the Dutch Royal Court with costs on the equivalent of almost 400 million.
Norway and Denmark are more expensive then the Swedish royal family. Tehy turned out to be the third least expensive - with costs "only" around 115 million. Our neighbors turned out to be both more expensive with the cost of 270 million for the Norwegian court and 125 million for the Danish.
Cheapest is the Spanish crown. "85 millions only". (In the survey, the cost of monarchies in the small countries of Liechtenstein and Monaco not included).

The British royal family is the most expensive of the royal families of Europe, while the Swedish ports in third place among the cheapest.
To see the results in a study by Belgian Professor Herman Matthjis in Brussels has made ​​the cost of Europe's royal families. The British royal family of Queen Elizabeth at the head costs the taxpayers over 450 million per year and is the most expensive in Europe. The next most expensive is the Dutch Royal Court with costs on the equivalent of almost 400 million.
Norway and Denmark are more expensive then the Swedish royal family. Tehy turned out to be the third least expensive - with costs "only" around 115 million. Our neighbors turned out to be both more expensive with the cost of 270 million for the Norwegian court and 125 million for the Danish.
Cheapest is the Spanish crown. "85 millions only". (In the survey, the cost of monarchies in the small countries of Liechtenstein and Monaco not included).
Do you have a link to the study or know where I could find it?:flowers:

I don't understand how this is relevant to the posts I have been making to you.

You started by saying that Harry should be doing more and I replied that he was a full time serving officer and that is why he isn't.

You came back and said that he was being paid by the British taxpayers - but he isn't.

There are only two members of the British royal family who receive money from the taxpayers.

You then came back with a comparison of the amounts spent by the different countries of Europe but as these countries all fund their royals families differently it is really a hard comparison e.g. the Civil List covers all the official costs of the BRF but other royal families have things like State Visits funded separately. Last week's State Visit to the UK was funded from the Civil List.

As far as this thread is concerned it isn't relevant.

Harry isn't a lazy royal as he has a full time job doing other things and is paid to do that job, not paid to do the job of being royal.

These figures should be read a bit carefully. Partly because each of the countries differ in respect to what is included as the total costs of their royal family and partly because the population is varied.
I'm not sure which currency you are using here, Swedish Kroner?

If we look at three of the families, starting with the British (BRF) they cost 450 million a year - divided by 60 million Britons = 7.5 per citizen.
The Dutch (NLRF) costs 400 million - divided by 14 million = 28.57 per citizen.
The Swedes (SRF) costs 115 million - divided by 10 million = 11.5 per citizen.
If we look at it in this light, then the BRF is the cheapest of these three families, followed by the SRF and with the NLRF being the most exspensive.

The Danes (DRF) actually costs around 250 million DKK, abolutely everything included except security - divided by 5.4 million = 46.29 DKK per citizen per year.

The Spanish (ERF) must be cheap indeed! I'm not sure about how many live in Spain, so I won't make any calculations.

Last edited:
Do you have any other source than the Examiner, that the Swedish State pays for Madeleine and CP?

Why does she need to provide another source...is the Examiner considered a tabloid?

Do you have any other source than the Examiner, that the Swedish State pays for Madeleine and CP?

Google Translate

If you go under "Luxury Living" It also makes reference to the apanage she receives, which was confirmed by Bertil Ternert the press secretary....

From the interview of Bertil Ternert, the Director of the Information and Press Department of the swedish court:

How does Madeleine pay her living in New York?
- She does not acknowledge any salary from it (Childhood Foundation). She is also a person who gets a part of the apanage. Then you should know that my salary is also paid from the apanage.
"Hon har en del av apanaget" | Newzglobe.com

From the interview of Bertil Ternert, the Director of the Information and Press Department of the swedish court:

How does Madeleine pay her living in New York?
- She does not acknowledge any salary from it (Childhood Foundation). She is also a person who gets a part of the apanage. Then you should know that my salary is also paid from the apanage.
"Hon har en del av apanaget" | Newzglobe.com

It is entirely true that Madeleine has its own budgetary resources. Appropriations for the Head of State, HRH the King, the activities should be decided by parliament. Thus, it is the King who gets the money and therefore the king himself who decides who in the royal family who receives the money. Many Swedes are sympathetic to our royals also need experience of other countries and that it perhaps might be to link the informal contacts for the future. But there are also those who think it is time for Madeleine to spend more time representation in Sweden. If I am correctly informed, however, the entire royal family to närara at the wedding in Monaco and then return Madeleine to Sweden to stay. Attendance at Victoria Day July 14 is scheduled for the entire royal family.

Anyway, my point was that the last few years Frederick's agenda looked rather 'empty' compared to some other CPs, of course it didn't mean he absolutely did nothing.
Compared to some other monarchs, the last few years Queen Margrethe's agenda looked rather 'empty' too. Yet, I don't see you mentioning her as 'lazy'.

Denmark is a small country with a population of 5.4 million.
Perhaps that's the reason why the Danish agendas aren't as full as those of Spain or UK?

Sure Frederick also promoted the Danish business, but the last couple of years, his brother has done a lot more than him especially in the emerging countries that has much growth than an established country like USA.
Excuse me, but that sentence shows you don't really know what you are talking about.

Compared to some other monarchs, the last few years Queen Margrethe's agenda looked rather 'empty' too. Yet, I don't see you mentioning her as 'lazy'.

I was doing the overall comparison. Monarchs are getting older, heirs are reaching their prime, last year Felipe was more active than his father, so was Charles than his mom.

Excuse me, but that sentence shows you don't really know what you are talking about.

You can go check their calendar last year or two, Joachim has been more involved promoting the Danish business abroad than Frederick.

Last edited:
I was doing the overall comparison. Monarchs are getting older, heirs are reaching their prime, last year Felipe was more active than his father, so was Charles than his mom.
And Frederik was more active than his mother last year (or at least as active in some months). He made more official visits. And when there is a state visit to DK it's he (and his wife) who accompanies the guests.

You can go check their calendar last year or two, Joachim has been more involved promoting the Danish business abroad than Frederick.
I actually did check the calendar. And that's why I know you are wrong.

Since June 2008 Joachim made business visits to Russia, 2x China, Brazil and Mexico (the main focus of that visit was actually culture). Besides he made 1 day visits to Berlin and Lyon, a CARE visit to Ghana and a visit to Greenland. And - unless I overlooked something - that's all the official travelling he did during the past 3 years.

In the same time period Frederik made business promotion visits to Thailand, USA, Vietnam (business and state visit), the Middle East, China (EXPO). Besides he made official visits to Mongolia, Bulgaria, 2x Germany, USA again (to strengthen ties which does help business in the end) and several travels related to Greenland (at least 3x), military (2x Afghanistan), sport, culture, climate and research (and just recently one visit to Mosambique for Danish Red Cross).

Business promotion is the specialty of Joachim (is he supposed to do nothing?). But that does not mean he is more involved than Frederik or that his visits are more important than those of Frederik (IMO he takes over the 'less important' visits - just as it should be).
But Frederik is the heir to the throne, business promotion is not his main focus.

Last edited:
But Frederik is the heir to the throne, business promotion is not his main focus.

Exactly. And isn't that precisely what the British are doing as well - having the Duke of York focusing on accompanying British trade delegations on travels abroad?

Business promotion is the specialty of Joachim (is he supposed to do nothing?). But that does not mean he is more involved than Frederik or that his visits are more important than those of Frederik (IMO he takes over the 'less important' visits - just as it should be).

Joachim had travelled to China, Brazil, Russia and Mexico (I'm not counting 1-2 day trips) the last 11/2 years to promote the Danish business, if the business was not his specialty before, now it looks like it's becoming one, perhaps he has been groomed to have Andrew like role in Denmark. However Denmark is not a big country like GB with more than enough actvities in all sectors, Frederick already doesn't have much to do compared to the CPs from bigger countries (an excuse always being given to Frederick when being compared to Charles or Felipe), now his brother has been more involved in the business sector. That was my point. I think I have said enough on this subject.

Last edited:
The answer to this question is based on perception. There are a lot of different opinions on who is the laziest Royal based on what we see the Royals do.

Anne is considered hard-working because she has been doing a lot of engagements over the last few decades. Charles may currently do more than her but as heir we expect him to do more, thus our perception that Anne works harder than Charles.

In Sweden, Carl Philip and Madeline do not do much. Since the Swedish government does not directly pay them, they may feel like they are living off allowances from their daddy and bear no responsibility to the Swedish Taxpayers-whereas we perceive that they should be doing a lot more for the money that they get from their father.

In Denmark, Frederick does not perform as many public duties as the other heirs, even his Scandinavian counterparts. He may well be the busiest royal alive behind the scenes but since we do not see this we perceive him to be lazy. This is a PR problem that the DRF should have addressed by making him do more PUBLIC engagements but since they have not I can only assume that he does not want to be publicly doing more than he is, in which case he has to live with the perception that he is lazy

Rather than finding the laziest royal, I will mention the most engaging and committed royals; in my opinion the Felipe and Letizia.

Well, nobody beats the Brits, a 85 and a 90 year old are doing much more than some monarch couples, let alone CPs. Charles is the highest profile CP around, in times of quality work miles ahead of what others do, but to be fair the Kingdom provides the vast field of activities.

The brits IMO seems to put in, at least, the senior ones. Fred of Denmark attends sporting activities mostly, it seems. He likes Sailing, Tennis, etc as a spectator. (also participates in sailing). His wife Mary appears to do more then him. She is on maternity leave at the moment, she does normally put in. Fred for me would be a bit of a good time Charlie. Doesn't seem to 'look' for work.

The answer to this question is based on perception. There are a lot of different opinions on who is the laziest Royal based on what we see the Royals do.
I think many opinions are actually not based on what we see (on facts) but on what we want to see (on personal preferences and prejudices).

In Denmark, Frederick does not perform as many public duties as the other heirs, even his Scandinavian counterparts.
Could you please pm me the results of your comparisons? I am very interested.
And could you also tell me if Queen Margrethe performs as many public duties as the other monarchs, even her Scandinavian counterparts?

He may well be the busiest royal alive behind the scenes but since we do not see this we perceive him to be lazy. This is a PR problem that the DRF should have addressed by making him do more PUBLIC engagements but since they have not I can only assume that he does not want to be publicly doing more than he is, in which case he has to live with the perception that he is lazy
Frederik does not have to care about what some messageboarders "perceive", especially if they are well known as fans of other cp couples (which might have influenced their "perception").
In a poll, performed in DK in April 2010, 77,8% of the asked persons said that Frederik does his job very well. Certainly not because he is perceived as lazy.
The Danish royals have to perform their duties in accordance with their country and their people. And compared with the other members of the DRF Frederik does have enough public engagements. (And I actually did a comparison for 2008-2011.)

Last edited:
I think Fred does need to care about how he is perceived, even if it's in an opinion based forum. (maybe they are the best gauge of public opinion, honest, and somewhat unsensored). His lifestyle is payed for by the Danish taxpayer - therefore, he needs to look ernest, useful and engaged. Fred has charm, no doubt about that, he seems to get a lot of mileage from that. Perhaps the public's feelings of warmth and affection towards Fred is partly derived from that. I doubt it's because he is very hard working, IMO, he is not. (and he could attend an official event every day and still be PERCEIVED as indolent). Fred would I think, choose a sailing trip over a more serious engagement. Just my perception.

Last edited:
I think perception is certainly the key word as evidenced by some of the royal labeled lazy. And to be honest, I think a lot of the perception is based on a bias or a lack of knowledge.

For example, Beatrice and Eugenie are considered to be lazy and yet they are full time students who currently undertake NO official royal duties. Beatrice graduates this year, and there is a belief that she will not take on any royal duties and instead pursue a career.....a couple of months from now, is she still going to be considered lazy?

It, also, is the perception of what is a job. Lazy is an awful word, that says you don't carry your weight and you get paid. So, whomever decides who will cut what ribbon, is in charge. And, if they say, it is okay to do what you are doing, then who can say who is lazy.

I think Fred does need to care about how he is perceived, even if it's in an opinion based forum. (maybe they are the best gauge of public opinion, honest, and somewhat unsensored). His lifestyle is payed for by the Danish taxpayer - therefore, he needs to look ernest, useful and engaged. Fred has charm, no doubt about that, he seems to get a lot of mileage from that. Perhaps the public's feelings of warmth and affection towards Fred is partly derived from that. I doubt it's because he is very hard working, IMO, he is not. (and he could attend an official event every day and still be PERCEIVED as indolent). Fred would I think, choose a sailing trip over a more serious engagement. Just my perception.

I agree. I like CP Frederik but I think he is honestly the laziest future monarch today. When he does do public duties most of them for the past year or two are sports related...he shows up and watches a sporting event or opens one. That's not really work. I am sure he does a lot of behind the scenes BUT so do other future monarchs...they still go out and perform their roles though with actual work. I just look at what Victoria, Haakon, and Felipe are doing for example and then I look at what CP Frederik is doing and he barely does anything and when he does it's more pleasure than work. And I hope no one brings up the "just because there isn't a picture, doesn't mean he doesn't work" because I know that he went to Africa with the Red Cross for a number of days and we had virtually no pictures of that but THOSE are the sort of events he should be doing more of and it would be smart of the DRF to better publicize them because it will improve his image among people who do perceive him to be lazy. His wife, the consort, seems to take on more serious and worthwhile patronages and duties than the actual Crown Prince!

Lately he's been doing a lot more overseas work and his calender is quite full (although with many sporting events aside from the overseas visits) so I am really glad to see that, but I hope it won't be like in the past where he works for a bit and then just "disappears". He will be the monarch of Denmark eventually...he needs to step up considering how much the taxpayers "pay" him and considering what his role is. All the other heirs have...Frederik needs to as well and once he does I am sure that he will do a fantastic job. As of right now, he seems to be willing to enjoy all the perks of his position...but not do the work that goes along with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom